Velocicoaster Ruins the Ambience of the Outdoor Dining Area of the Three Broomsticks

Pooh's World

DIS Veteran
This area used to be the most peaceful, quiet area overlooking Hogwarts Castle.

Now it's been destroyed by the Velocicoaster and all the screaming riders.

Also, it's more crowded now as people use it as a waiting area for their Virtual Q time for Hagrid's Adventure.

You can't go home again.

Yeah, I kind of expected this when I saw the construction photos. I once watched the night time castle light show from the patio, and I can't imagine being able to enjoy it with screaming people flying past you.

Unfortunately, you are in a theme park and Velecicoaster has proven a massive success. Hogsmead was already busy with waiters for Hagrids, the area in general is the busiest in the park and has been for at least 2 years now.

It's poor design and planning. The whole point of the Harry Potter land is to be a separate world from the outside world and other attractions. There was no reason that they couldn't have built the Velocicoaster to extend out towards Bluto's Barge (Nobody knows who Bluto is anyway).

I just think they didn't think about it and weren't considering the total park when they built Velocicoaster. At the very least if they had built it near Bluto's barge and then closed the sight lines near Hogsmeade with trees or a stone castle like wall, the problem could have easily been averted.

Let's be honest the Dr. Seus, Middle Eastern and Bluto/Cartoon area are all expendable areas anyway.

According to my then 7 yr old at Busch Gardens Williamsburg when we were eating in France beneath the Griffon, "the sounds of terror add a spice to the food." I guess you could just imagine yourself as a DeathEater and enjoy it : ) It is no wonder that child grew up to be a Slytherin.

It's poor design and planning. The whole point of the Harry Potter land is to be a separate world from the outside world and other attractions. There was no reason that they couldn't have built the Velocicoaster to extend out towards Bluto's Barge (Nobody knows who Bluto is anyway).

I just think they didn't think about it and weren't considering the total park when they built Velocicoaster. At the very least if they had built it near Bluto's barge and then closed the sight lines near Hogsmeade with trees or a stone castle like wall, the problem could have easily been averted.

Let's be honest the Dr. Seus, Middle Eastern and Bluto/Cartoon area are all expendable areas anyway.
majority of what you say makes a lot of sense to me. It's easy to build thrill rides these days with all the technology available- even themed ones. But strategically doing so in a way that still keeps adjacent areas purposely peaceful or tranquil in ambiance to match their brand personality or spirit is quite an impressive and elevated design skill that few of today's theme park designers seem to prioritize.

But oh dear: you LOST me with your comment about Seuss Land. That's a NO-GO - I love that area of the park...so vibrant, bright and beautiful. It's one of my faves. Boo to that.:(

According to my then 7 yr old at Busch Gardens Williamsburg when we were eating in France beneath the Griffon, "the sounds of terror add a spice to the food." I guess you could just imagine yourself as a DeathEater and enjoy it : ) It is no wonder that child grew up to be a Slytherin.
I LOVE that perspective...talk about a smart and positive-thinking kid! He could teach the adults a thing or two.

You're making assumptions that it is poor design and planning. There are so many factors when designing and building a new rollercoaster, especially when trying to construct it while keeping the park/areas open. Not to mention the engineering side of things if its logistically possible to put something like that somewhere else. I'm an engineer by trade and I see posts like this where people think its poor planning, etc., that couldn't be further from the truth as there are 1000's of man hours that go into planning something like this.
Ultimately you are in a theme park, regardless of what area you are in, you are still going to hear/see other rides.

While I have enjoyed the patio area of 3 Broomsticks, I understand the limited area they had to build. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that there was no reason they couldn't build elsewhere. And just because those other areas are expendable to you doesn't mean everyone else feels that way!

At some point in the next 10 years every corner of US & IoA will be filled, unfortunately very few people go to theme parks to relax. I appreciate people need some down time, but many will still want to watch the fun going on around them.

Velocicoaster had to be build in the Jurassic Park area, clearing the Fear Factor live arena and putting it there wouldn't have made any sense at all.

Last edited:
While I have enjoyed the patio area of 3 Broomsticks, I understand the limited area they had to build. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that there was no reason they couldn't build elsewhere. And just because those other areas are expendable to you doesn't mean everyone else feels that way!
They dropped the ball. It was obviously someone from the Jurrasic area who had little connection to the Harry Potter area who came up with all this. There are many ways they could have avoided it but to be honest, I don't think it even occurred to the Velicicoaster people till it was already too late and was being built out.

It's just a rationalization to say that the 3 Broomsticks area had to be the area where part of the Veliccoaster ride had to be placed.
There are plenty of low value things they could have destroyed or infringed upon instead like Pterandaon Flyers, Camp Jurrasic, Olive Oil's Ship or Bluto's barge.

They can still rectify it by building a tall castle wall and having a giant fountain or waterfall to drown out the noise. I noticed yesterday that at the Mystic restaurant area there is a giant fountain and the noise of the water really negates the sounds coming from the Velocicoaster.

At some point in the next 10 years every corner of US & IoA will be filled, unfortunately very few people go to theme parks to relax. I appreciate people need some down time, but many will still want to watch the fun going on around them.

Velocicoaster had to be build in the Jurassic Park area, clearing the Fear Factor live arena and putting it there wouldn't have made any sense at all.

I don't think that's true. With the Epic Universe theme park there will be plenty of space. This isn't Anaheim where there is no space around Disneyland.

There is no reason Velocicoaster coulnd't have been built out towards Pterandon Flyers, Camp Jurrasic, Olive oil's ship/Bluto's barge instead of creeping into Hogsmeade.

I do think however they may eventually get rid of the lagoon or make it smaller to create more space. The lake really serves no function except being scenic since no boat/ferries go across it anymore.

I don't think that's true. With the Epic Universe theme park there will be plenty of space. This isn't Anaheim where there is no space around Disneyland.

There is no reason Velocicoaster coulnd't have been built out towards Pterandon Flyers, Camp Jurrasic, Olive oil's ship/Bluto's barge instead of creeping into Hogsmeade.

I do think however they may eventually get rid of the lagoon or make it smaller to create more space. The lake really serves no function except being scenic since no boat/ferries go across it anymore.

I'm sure it could have been built in many places, but it would have meant vast areas of the park being closed due to construction work and vehicles.

Overall though, I'd rather have Velocicoaster in IoA than not, and if that means that the 3 Broomsticks isn't as quiet as it used to be then so be it. And to be fair, when coming off The Hogwarts Express, the noise from Hargrids is very loud, but it excites me because that's what I'm there for.

I'm sure when all is said and done very few people are worried about the noise in the area, they are there to have a fantastic day out. If people want a bit of quiet in a theme park, maybe they should have stayed around their hotel pool.

EDITED TO ADD - Velocicoaster belongs in the Jurassic area at IoA, putting it in Epic Universe would make no sense, especially since it's layout has already been planned. I'm sure when they planned Velocicoaster it was quite some time ago, these things don't get green lit overnight.

I'm sure it could have been built in many places, but it would have meant vast areas of the park being closed due to construction work and vehicles.

Overall though, I'd rather have Velocicoaster in IoA than not, and if that means that the 3 Broomsticks isn't as quiet as it used to be then so be it. And to be fair, when coming off The Hogwarts Express, the noise from Hargrids is very loud, but it excites me because that's what I'm there for.

I'm sure when all is said and done very few people are worried about the noise in the area, they are there to have a fantastic day out. If people want a bit of quiet in a theme park, maybe they should have stayed around their hotel pool.

EDITED TO ADD - Velocicoaster belongs in the Jurassic area at IoA, putting it in Epic Universe would make no sense, especially since it's layout has already been planned. I'm sure when they planned Velocicoaster it was quite some time ago, these things don't get green lit overnight.

Not sure why you keep saying anybody is saying that Velocicoaster shouldn't be in the Jurassic area. That's a straw man.

The point with EPIC, etc is that there is plenty of space and was in reply to someone who said that in general that Universal was going to run out of space.

If you actually read the discussion, the only thing advocated is that Velocicoaster should be built out towards Pterandon/Bluto/Olive Oil and not infringe Hogsmeade. In such a scenario it is still within Jurassic land.

Not sure why you keep saying anybody is saying that Velocicoaster shouldn't be in the Jurassic area. That's a straw man.

The point with EPIC, etc is that there is plenty of space and was in reply to someone who said that in general that Universal was going to run out of space.

If you actually read the discussion, the only thing advocated is that Velocicoaster should be built out towards Pterandon/Bluto/Olive Oil and not infringe Hogsmeade. In such a scenario it is still within Jurassic land.

But it's now built and will not be moved, so why are we even having this discussion? I doubt that the powers that be just plonked it there so that a very small, minimum amount of people could complain about loss of atmosphere at the 3 Broomsticks.

You also seem to think that other areas are expendable, Suess, Bluto's Barges etc etc. To many people they are beloved areas, why should they be demolished just so that you can have a peaceful time at the 3 Broomsticks?

Bluto is known by millions of people worldwide, so just because you are not aware of him doesn't mean anything. To my knowledge there hasn't been a Mickey Mouse cartoon in decades, yet the mouse is still a big attraction down the road at Disney World.

I appreciate this has spoilt your enjoyment of the Hogsmead area, but you really are in the minority here.

Again, it's a theme park, not a tranquil therapy park.

Last edited:
But it's now built and will not be moved, so why are we even having this discussion? I doubt that the powers that be just plonked it there so that a very small, minimum amount of people could complain about loss of atmosphere at the 3 Broomsticks.

You also seem to think that other areas are expendable, Suess, Bluto's Barges etc etc. To many people they are beloved areas, why should they be demolished just so that you can have a peaceful time at the 3 Broomsticks?

Bluto is known by millions of people worldwide, so just because you are not aware of him doesn't mean anything. To my knowledge there hasn't been a Mickey Mouse cartoon in decades, yet the mouse is still a big attraction down the road at Disney World.

I appreciate this has spoilt your enjoyment of the Hogsmead area, but you really are in the minority here.

Again, it's a theme park, not a tranquil therapy park.

Actually few people know who Bluto is compared to Harry Potter.
it's not even close.

I would disagree. Bluto isn't even relevant anymore (and was never that relevant to begin with) You could probably ask most people on the street and they would have no idea who Bluto is as opposed to Harry Potter.

It really isn't that important to be honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter