Velocicoaster Ruins the Ambience of the Outdoor Dining Area of the Three Broomsticks

Fast and the Furious is awful. How was that even green lit.
Anybody with half a brain could see that that ride would be dead on arrival (which is was).
"But they have a track record of making some huge blunders."

So, beside F&F what else is a "huge blunder"? Or is your list from before- Lost Continent, Seuss and Bluto- what you mean? Because you are the outlier on not liking those, I bet. So, only blunders to you but not the majority of people.

"But they have a track record of making some huge blunders."

So, beside F&F what else is a "huge blunder"? Or is your list from before- Lost Continent, Seuss and Bluto- what you mean? Because you are the outlier on not liking those, I bet. So, only blunders to you but not the majority of people.
Your jumping in on a conversation. The OP's premise was that Universal is infallible and never makes mistakes because they are a big corporation.

I was always under the impression that when someone starts a thread on a forum it is open for anyone to make a comment on.

So, suggesting that someone is jumping in on a conversation is just downright rude.

No one has suggested that Universal has never made mistakes - what the majority are saying though is that Velocicoaster , and where it's situated are not one of them.

There are many rides I don't like, I simply choose not to go on them, I don't slate the park for building it.

We just ate there a couple of days ago. The roaring coaster and screams were entertainment for my 5 year old as we were eating dinner. LOL! I think I pretty much tuned it out because I was more bothered by the filthy tables with food all over them than the coaster.

I was always under the impression that when someone starts a thread on a forum it is open for anyone to make a comment on.

So, suggesting that someone is jumping in on a conversation is just downright rude.

No one has suggested that Universal has never made mistakes - what the majority are saying though is that Velocicoaster , and where it's situated are not one of them.

There are many rides I don't like, I simply choose not to go on them, I don't slate the park for building it.

You could also choose not to keep coming back in this thread if as you claim, you don't care.

Of course you are the person who thinks Bluto is more popular than Harry Potter.

You could also choose not to keep coming back in this thread if as you claim, you don't care.

Of course you are the person who thinks Bluto is more popular than Harry Potter.

Not more popular, known by millions of people worldwide is what I said, in 886 cartoons vs 8 HP films.

Last edited:
Don’t you mess with Bluto. My family had the best time riding that one over and over on our last trip.

Also, Velocicoaster is awesome and didn’t impact our enjoyment of Hogsmeade one bit. But I’ll agree that Fast and Furious may be the worst ride ever.

I would wager they analyzed hundreds of impacts and ranked them. I’d think they would have had to get some approval from JK Rowling and/or Warner Brothers to have the coaster go that close to the back porch.

Ultimately, I don’t think it impacts many folks to have the coaster back there. Most times we went back there, there were two or three people. If ‘no one’ knows about it, it’s probably not an effective part of a theme park

i think , what was given priority forJWV were a few things: sight lines from the front of the park, and the coasters interaction with guests.

Having the coaster swoop over the walkway must have been a key item. It brings excitement and, let’s face it, provides tons of Instagram fodder.

The bypass bridge was ‘unthemed’ and just a way to skip HP, instantly, now it’s a destination.

There isn’t anywhere for them to pull off something similar in Toon Lagoon even though I thunk most would argue that area needs something.

I would wager they analyzed hundreds of impacts and ranked them. I’d think they would have had to get some approval from JK Rowling and/or Warner Brothers to have the coaster go that close to the back porch.

Ultimately, I don’t think it impacts many folks to have the coaster back there. Most times we went back there, there were two or three people. If ‘no one’ knows about it, it’s probably not an effective part of a theme park

i think , what was given priority forJWV were a few things: sight lines from the front of the park, and the coasters interaction with guests.

Having the coaster swoop over the walkway must have been a key item. It brings excitement and, let’s face it, provides tons of Instagram fodder.

The bypass bridge was ‘unthemed’ and just a way to skip HP, instantly, now it’s a destination.

There isn’t anywhere for them to pull off something similar in Toon Lagoon even though I thunk most would argue that area needs something.

I highly doubt they consulted Warner and certainly not JK Rowling (who wouldn't have approved this).
This seems more something Jurrasic creative did on their own without looking at the whole picture until it was too late.

I certainly don't think they did 100s of studies on where to place Velocicoaster, and even if they did it may still be meaningless. One could argue that they did 100s of studies on Fast and the Furious only to still have the ride dead on arrival.

Part of it may also be that the guy who created Harry Potterland for Unviersal was hired by Disney to create the Avatar World and Star Warsland, so the person with the original vision and understanding of a self contained immersed land is no longer overseeing things at Universal.

If you look at Avatar World and Star Warsland, there is no outside interference that interferes with anything within the land. You can't see the Tower of Terror or the Giant Tree from anywhere within Avatarland or Star Warsland.

Joe Rohde created Avatar at DAK but has never worked for Universal. Scott Trowbridge worked on the Forbidden Journey ride, but wasn't heavily involved in the planning or building of Hogsmead, that was all done by "Universal Creative Team".

IoA and US do not have the larger spaces that DAK or DHS had to build Avatar & Galaxy's Edge, they were able to be built away from other areas, although, to be fair, Toy Story Land can clearly be seen when entering/exiting Galaxy's Edge at one of it's entrances.

As for whether JK Rowling or Warner were consulted, we simply do not know and therefore cannot comment surely.

When it comes down to brass tacks, i’m sure they went with the most cost effective, yet palatable way, as to the actual placement of the new coaster…one that wouldn’t break the HP vibe for a majority of their guests while delivering a great new addition to the park. I think they hit it out of the park!

We are long-time fans of the U parks, as well as of the HP franchise, TBH, have no issues whatsoever with the coaster’s placement. The exact opposite really, find ourselves walking down to the lake to get varying views of it throughout the different park areas.

not one to discount another’s feelings here, that’s part of what makes these boards compelling. The more contributions to a thread of varying viewpoints, the better IMO. Just can’t say we have ever spent much time lingering on the patio area mentioned here. :confused3That restaurant, while well executed, was a one & done for us.

Personally, I think it’s quite impressive how relatively quickly the coaster was completed, especially when you compare it to the excruciating snail’s pace of WDW’s construction projects. Very nice to see the Jurassic area get some much needed attention as to design.

so many considerations come into play re the planning & execution of new development in the the parks. Never going to please everyone, including those who lament some of their old-time favorite attractions disappearing entirely. I generally fall into that camp. You take your lumps & move on, try it you may like it sort of thing.

Not going to beat a dead horse as to the parks’ complete swings & misses (F&F, Fallon, et al). IMO the parks in central FL do an overall great job of fitting in ‘worlds’ right next to each other to immerse the majority of fans of the various franchises.:thumbsup2

I highly doubt they consulted Warner and certainly not JK Rowling (who wouldn't have approved this).
This seems more something Jurrasic creative did on their own without looking at the whole picture until it was too late.

I certainly don't think they did 100s of studies on where to place Velocicoaster, and even if they did it may still be meaningless. One could argue that they did 100s of studies on Fast and the Furious only to still have the ride dead on arrival.

Part of it may also be that the guy who created Harry Potterland for Unviersal was hired by Disney to create the Avatar World and Star Warsland, so the person with the original vision and understanding of a self contained immersed land is no longer overseeing things at Universal.

If you look at Avatar World and Star Warsland, there is no outside interference that interferes with anything within the land. You can't see the Tower of Terror or the Giant Tree from anywhere within Avatarland or Star Warsland.
You keep insisting upon comparing Harry Potter land to Star Wars land like Star wars land is the epitome of what should be aimed for. Star wars land has plenty of its own problems. And have you been to Star Wars Land in California? I have, and I could hear plenty of the real world outside of its borders. I mean I do tend to have good hearing, but it wasn't that hard to hear the city outside of the park.

When it comes down to brass tacks, i’m sure they went with the most cost effective, yet palatable way, as to the actual placement of the new coaster…one that wouldn’t break the HP vibe for a majority of their guests while delivering a great new addition to the park. I think they hit it out of the park!

We are long-time fans of the U parks, as well as of the HP franchise, TBH, have no issues whatsoever with the coaster’s placement. The exact opposite really, find ourselves walking down to the lake to get varying views of it throughout the different park areas.

not one to discount another’s feelings here, that’s part of what makes these boards compelling. The more contributions to a thread of varying viewpoints, the better IMO. Just can’t say we have ever spent much time lingering on the patio area mentioned here. :confused3That restaurant, while well executed, was a one & done for us.

Personally, I think it’s quite impressive how relatively quickly the coaster was completed, especially when you compare it to the excruciating snail’s pace of WDW’s construction projects. Very nice to see the Jurassic area get some much needed attention as to design.

so many considerations come into play re the planning & execution of new development in the the parks. Never going to please everyone, including those who lament some of their old-time favorite attractions disappearing entirely. I generally fall into that camp. You take your lumps & move on, try it you may like it sort of thing.

Not going to beat a dead horse as to the parks’ complete swings & misses (F&F, Fallon, et al). IMO the parks in central FL do an overall great job of fitting in ‘worlds’ right next to each other to immerse the majority of fans of the various franchises.:thumbsup2

Fallon is actually a good ride. And I don't even like the guy. 100x better than Fast and the Furious.

You keep insisting upon comparing Harry Potter land to Star Wars land like Star wars land is the epitome of what should be aimed for. Star wars land has plenty of its own problems. And have you been to Star Wars Land in California? I have, and I could hear plenty of the real world outside of its borders. I mean I do tend to have good hearing, but it wasn't that hard to hear the city outside of the park.

I give Disneyland a pass on that because they have space issues. Would you agree though that the noise issues at StarWarsland Anaheim were there from the beginning and not an element that was added later?

I give Disneyland a pass on that because they have space issues. Would you agree though that the noise issues at StarWarsland Anaheim were there from the beginning and not an element that was added later?
I would agree to that, but as you pointed out, the issue was there from the beginning and couldn't be easily worked around. I would say the same is for the coaster and Potterland. I don't agree with you that it could have easily have gone in the two areas that you circled on the map since there are other rides currently in the way. I do not see how they could have safely put the roller coaster there above other rides and not have been a safety disaster. Where they put it is where they had the space for it to be by itself without jetting over other obstacles and creating safety issues. That's more important than sight and noise issues.

I would agree to that, but as you pointed out, the issue was there from the beginning and couldn't be easily worked around. I would say the same is for the coaster and Potterland. I don't agree with you that it could have easily have gone in the two areas that you circled on the map since there are other rides currently in the way. I do not see how they could have safely put the roller coaster there above other rides and not have been a safety disaster. Where they put it is where they had the space for it to be by itself without jetting over other obstacles and creating safety issues. That's more important than sight and noise issues.

They were able to landfill the jaws lake and boat port for London and Diagon Alley so I have no doubt that they could create more land if they wanted to.

I think the Pterandon Flyers area could have easily been torn down as well. That's a low grade ride that isn't even available to everyone but takes up alot of space.

There were plenty of options but I think the likely answer is that this was conceived from a Juarrsasic Land point of view and they just didn't even think about it till it was too late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter