VDH Opening

For those who have purchased VDH and will be at DLR in the very near future, make sure to stop by the desk at the Star View Station. They’re giving a little gift (looked like a special pin) to new owners. We were there yesterday and saw a couple who had just purchased that morning receive one. 😅
They have them at the Grand Cal and the preview center at the Disneyland Hotel too. Trying to get them was a bit of a challenge and I overheard one of the guides calling them “for those who added on at the new tower.”

I had to let them know I had purchased at the new tower but from my Florida guide and eventually I was able to secure a few for the family.

As a side note. The nice guide at the Grand Cal let me look inside the goodie closet and they have a good number of magic band sliders in there. He said they were only allowed to give 2 per member out. I asked if having a wee bit more direct points than the 150 minimum would allow me to grab a few extra so the kids would have backups for when they eventually accidentally part ways with them… He laughed and said how much was a bit more. I said I was working on my 8th bucket of 150 direct points… as he laughed even more he said, that’s a healthy membership and a healthy dues bill… and let me have a few spares :) I promised they would not be listed on eBay.

Aww, glad you were able to get the goodies for your fam! We’ll be checking into VGC for a post-freshman year staycation for our youngest in a couple days, so we’ll be sure to stop by the office. Hubs and I already got our sliders during one of our WDW trips, but I’m sure our youngest would like one.

They tend to be very happy to give away the special gifts - we’ve declined the popcorn buckets after our second, and I refuse to take another of the DVC string backpack things, water bottle, and/or lanyards. 🥴

Checking into VGC tonight! Excited to check out the new DVC lounge and the VDH preview center. Woot!
You'll love the lounge. I'd temper my enthusiasm for the preview center though, as they just converted the old Walt Disney Travel Company/hotel concierge office in the DLH lobby into a space to showcase some of the interior finishes and fixtures. They don't have a full room mock-up (although you CAN ask them to view the Aulani rooms, which are still cool).

Regardless, you'll have a great time. Sorry about our terrible weather though, we're totally bummed about no beach weather for Memorial Day weekend.

You'll love the lounge. I'd temper my enthusiasm for the preview center though, as they just converted the old Walt Disney Travel Company/hotel concierge office in the DLH lobby into a space to showcase some of the interior finishes and fixtures. They don't have a full room mock-up (although you CAN ask them to view the Aulani rooms, which are still cool).

Regardless, you'll have a great time. Sorry about our terrible weather though, we're totally bummed about no beach weather for Memorial Day weekend.
Some interior finishes sounds fun.
Hey the DLR weather looks great to us! In the sweet spot of not too hot or cold and not a lot of rain.

BTW, in case you were wondering, my Unit for VDH is 1F...

Guides are anticipating brisk sales next week but also expect current member incentives won't be as generous as they are now...

Does anyone have any idea of what availability currently is like? We are currently considering our first contract(s) including 100 pts at RIV and 50 at VDH. Hoping we could maybe even purchase both this weekend and get our first trip booked. 😬 That might be totally unrealistic. We would love to book a studio in early December or January for 3-4 nights.

Does anyone have any idea of what availability currently is like? We are currently considering our first contract(s) including 100 pts at RIV and 50 at VDH. Hoping we could maybe even purchase both this weekend and get our first trip booked. 😬 That might be totally unrealistic. We would love to book a studio in early December or January for 3-4 nights.
Just to clarify, hoping we could buy at VDH right after buying at RIV because then we might be considered current owners…not sure if that would work.

Unfortunately we can’t see availability so we have to call or chat to ask every time we want to check. You’d probably have a good chance of getting something if your dates are flexible though.

Unfortunately we can’t see availability so we have to call or chat to ask every time we want to check. You’d probably have a good chance of getting something if your dates are flexible though.
Thanks for the info. Spoke to our guide and we won’t be able to purchase VDH until the 30th even if we purchase Riviera first. Also new members can’t start booking VDH until mid June (the 13th I think). Need to figure out if it would be helpful to book VDH as our welcome home trip or if we could use it to try and get something good at WDW last minute for our June 18-21 stay. 🤔

When I booked a few early Dec nights a week ago she was peeking around out of curiosity and generally there was availability outside of, NYE, Halloween and race weekend. If you are going for a studio your chances will be better, the 1B or larger, duos and garden units are harder to get. If you have date flexibility you should be ok but also, waitlist for what you want just in case.

Based on reports of others booking via phone, race weekend was completely booked, but then some folks started get waitlists approved and a document showed up in OCRW potentially indicating more inventory was declared.

Outside of race weekend, I recall seeing some reports of 1BR/2BR being booked up here and there (prior to the potential additional declaration), but few other reports of 'No Vacancy'.

In theory, inventory should be pretty wide open, especially Studios (non-Garden). Reasoning:
  • About 3.4% of points have been recorded in OCRW (which has a ~2 week delay behind sales, but likely does capture the first 1.5-2 weeks of sales). This is a lower bound on points sold.
  • Based on Units seen in deeds, 10.9% of points-based-on-Units are 'active'. This is an upper bound on points sold
  • Initial declaration was 17.6% of points
  • Initial declaration was Studio-heavy, with 18.9% of Studio points declared and 22.5% of Duo points declared
  • There appeared to be a 2nd declaration (and the potential, albeit unlikely, for another during pre-booking window)
    • In additional support of this, 2023 Dues are based on 72 rooms being declared into inventory, initial declaration was just 61, so Disney has an expectation of declaring more
  • A lot of the points that were used were used on race weekend. 3 nights over race weekend is ~0.6% of the entire year
All combined, we 'know' 3.4 - 10.9% of points have been sold and at least 17.6% of rooms (by points) have been declared. If sales are close to 6%-ish and declarations are at 20%-ish, that's a pretty great ratio, a little over 3x (sold out resorts are 1x).

Helping matters further, if 10% of points sold have been used on race weekend (0.6 out of 6), that means the rest of the calendar is diluted.

EDIT: thought through this a bit more, and there are some confounding factors:
  • 11 month window only has 7 months of inventory due to resort opening 9/28 (said another way, no rooms are available to book between 5/28 and 9/27, 4 of the 11 months)
  • there's a very likely bias for early stays from early buyers, too
Combined, maybe not totally wide open, but still pretty good!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter