Uvalde

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll try to say this as nicely as possible while this thread is still here. I think most would agree that mental health issues need to be addressed. However, the prevalence of guns in this country
is a HUGE problem and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is part of the problem. It’s not an all or nothing issue. We must work to change several factors that contribute to mass shootings and gun violence in general. I’m tired of people talking about their rights and freedoms. What about the inalienable rights of all Americans to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Last edited:

The TX governor mentioned in a press conference that the shooter posted on Facebook about 30 min before the school shooting that he was going to shoot his grandmother. Then posted that he HAD shot her. Then posted about 15 min before the school shooting that he was going to shoot up an elementary school.

I’m sure that more information will come out in the days to come as law enforcement continues its investigations.
He was incorrect. Law enforcement had said it was private messages between the murderer and a girl he was talking to in Germany.
I did not say the bolded text above. I said that, in my opinion, this is a mental health issue. I said nothing about other countries.
Yes, it’s a mental health issue. But it’s also a gun issue. We can’t talk about it as only a mental health issue BECAUSE other countries don’t have this problem. You can’t ignore the reality that other counties also have mentally ill citizens and don’t have the problem. Ignoring the gun problem is ignoring the problem.

The irony is that the same people now saying it’s a mental health issue and not a gun issue, are they same ones who refuse to fund mental health.

The problem with just stating “the prevalence of guns in this country is a huge problem” is how could that possibly be addressed. Owning a gun is in the constitution. Taking away that right would take amending the constitution. So the best you could hope to do is pass some type of restrictive laws that would pass the “constitutionality test”. Possibly restricting sales to 21 and over is possible. and more restrictive background checks that might delve into mental health issues is a remote possibility. I say remote because it’s hard to pass that “constitutionality test”. What mental health issues/ for how long? How severe? Who makes that call? What other rights can we take away due to mental health issues? The right to vote? Do you see where I’m going? It’s just not so simple to say let’s get rid of guns!
My point isn’t to diminish thoughts on this or to say that guns aren’t an issue in this country. My point is to say that there’s really not a whole lot of laws you could pass to address this.

in saying that, school security IS something you can do something about. It is something that could be addressed by local school districts. Mental health issues in this country CAN be addressed better. Another huge problem is social media/media in general and I don’t have the slightest idea what to do about that.

Agreed. I hope we can agree that both sides need to stop vilifying the other when these shootings happen. That does nothing to help the situation, both sides need to put aside the hate they have for each other, and the rhetoric blaming each other and work together for a solution.
It’s really hard to work with the other side when they absolutely refuse to do anything. Any attempt to regulate guns is stonewalled.

Has anyone looked at the list of school shootings that have happened and realized just how close to home they are? The school my husband currently teaches at had a school shooting (before he worked there). A different school he subbed at had a school shooting after he left.

It doesn’t matter where you live in the US. It can happen by you.

It’s really hard to work with the other side when they absolutely refuse to do anything. Any attempt to regulate guns is stonewalled.

It's also really hard to work with the other side when their attempts to regulate violate the 2A.
I mean is it that hard to believe that one side wants to preserve rights that are important to them and to those that voted them in? Are we not seeing that with RvW right now, why is it when it comes to the 2A suddenly the side fighting to preserve that right is wrong?

He was incorrect. Law enforcement had said it was private messages between the murderer and a girl he was talking to in Germany.
I think that was 2 separate incidents. The one with the girl was pictures of his guns. The other timeline scenario came out today.

It's also really hard to work with the other side when their attempts to regulate violate the 2A.
I mean is it that hard to believe that one side wants to preserve rights that are important to them and to those that voted them in? Are we not seeing that with RvW right now, why is it when it comes to the 2A suddenly the side fighting to preserve that right is wrong?
Because children are being murdered in their classrooms so people have the opportunity to live out their CoD fantasy.

Then “your” side needs to do something. Anything. Start somewhere. If it doesn’t pass then people can be angry at the other side and vote them out. But I see a lot of hand wringing on both sides.

Exactly. This kid had no history of mental health issues & no criminal history. Bought the weapon legally so what could be done other than limit the type of weapon he has access to.

The problem with just stating “the prevalence of guns in this country is a huge problem” is how could that possibly be addressed. Owning a gun is in the constitution. Taking away that right would take amending the constitution. So the best you could hope to do is pass some type of restrictive laws that would pass the “constitutionality test”. Possibly restricting sales to 21 and over is possible. and more restrictive background checks that might delve into mental health issues is a remote possibility. I say remote because it’s hard to pass that “constitutionality test”. What mental health issues/ for how long? How severe? Who makes that call? What other rights can we take away due to mental health issues? The right to vote? Do you see where I’m going? It’s just not so simple to say let’s get rid of guns!
My point isn’t to diminish thoughts on this or to say that guns aren’t an issue in this country. My point is to say that there’s really not a whole lot of laws you could pass to address this.

in saying that, school security IS something you can do something about. It is something that could be addressed by local school districts. Mental health issues in this country CAN be addressed better. Another huge problem is social media/media in general and I don’t have the slightest idea what to do about that.
Nobody wants to take guns. Nobody has suggested that. Wanting stricter gun laws is not the same thing.

School security isn’t the answer. There was a school resource officer who “engaged” with him and he still made it in. In Parkland, the officer hid.

Handling it from the security side just pushes the problem elsewhere. My locals schools do all they can to provide a secure campus. A threatening person could easily look elsewhere and find a dozen alternatives.

I think that was 2 separate incidents. The one with the girl was pictures of his guns. The other timeline scenario came out today.
Nope, he was incorrect. I mistakenly said law enforcement, when it was actually Meta who said it. This came out this afternoon.

0F56AC70-AD0D-435D-B2C9-712F2D553C11.png

Exactly. This kid had no history of mental health issues & no criminal history. Bought the weapon legally so what could be done other than limit the type of weapon he has access to.

Honest question, he as an 18 year old is an adult and therefore he has the RIGHT under our constitution to own firearms. What kind of limit are you talking about, no AR? Do you think if he was not allowed to by that but allowed to by another type of rifle he would have decided not to kill all those kids? Do you actually believe the type of gun has the power to turn someone's mind into the mind of a mass murder?

Nobody wants to take guns. Nobody has suggested that. Wanting stricter gun laws is not the same thing.

School security isn’t the answer. There was a school resource officer who “engaged” with him and he still made it in. In Parkland, the officer hid.
I mean of course they want to take guns. I’m not saying anyone on this thread has said that but I guarantee that there are definitely people in power who would like that very much. Please tell me what “stricter gun laws” would pass a constitutionality test. Because that makes all the difference. And school security is completely a valid answer. protocols just have to be really strong and be followed 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter