Uvalde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the mental health thing is really funny to me b/c I work in mental health & the same ppl who cut the funding for mental health services in our state are the ones saying it’s not a gun issue but mental health issues. 🤔

YES!!! I said the same thing today! Oh, the irony huh!! Sit at a press conference today and wring your hands over mental health, while all you have done in the past is vote down funds for mental health! Ugh! Makes me ill!

I did not say the bolded text above. I said that, in my opinion, this is a mental health issue. I said nothing about other countries.
No other country has mass shootings like we do - over 200 in 2022 so far.
So to say it's a mental health issue doesn't make sense. Unless you mean to imply other countries handle mental health much better than the US and therefore have no shootings?

I will agree with the fact that in most things we do not do as well as other countries - we are nowhere near the best country in the world.

The school I work at has a camera on the front door and you hit the buzze, secretary asked who you are, then you enter vestibule, interior doors are locked, sign in Then you get buzzed into the school. Also we’re required to keep classroom doors closed and locked when kids are in. Was the Texas school unprotected? I find it alarming that this guy walked in. Has any more info come out about if?

Our school has the same protocol.

No other country has mass shootings like we do - over 200 in 2022 so far.
So to say it's a mental health issue doesn't make sense. Unless you mean to imply other countries handle mental health much better than the US and therefore have no shootings?

I will agree with the fact that in most things we do not do as well as other countries - we are nowhere near the best country in the world.

I am not implying anything at all about other countries outside the US.

The school I work at has a camera on the front door and you hit the buzze, secretary asked who you are, then you enter vestibule, interior doors are locked, sign in Then you get buzzed into the school. Also we’re required to keep classroom doors closed and locked when kids are in. Was the Texas school unprotected? I find it alarming that this guy walked in. Has any more info come out about if?
I live in Texas and our schools in my district are exactly as you describe. Not sure what went wrong in that district.

Because people want to believe in the good. How often do you hold open a door to a stranger, even when it is a door you need a pass or key to get in?

You would be surprised how easy it is to get access to places you shouldn't be in. As long as you appear calm, normal, friendly, people will want to think the best of you.

Because people want to believe in the good. How often do you hold open a door to a stranger, even when it is a door you need a pass or key to get in?

You would be surprised how easy it is to get access to places you shouldn't be in. As long as you appear calm, normal, friendly, people will want to think the best of you.
Our HS has a glass room that you need to get buzzed into. You then put your ID and form of why you are there into a box that gets sent to the next room. You are then buzzed into the next room to wait for someone to take you into the school through a locked door. Every elementary school was changed so that the entrance lead to the office first (my kids range from 19 - 25 and all doors since they started school were locked with a camera and buzzer). Only the JH and HS have armed security guards, the elementary schools share one. Our 3 mile town has a very large police force right in the middle, response time is under 1 minute.

I have a serious question for non Americans. Other countries have people with mental health issues. What they don’t have is guns. What do people do in other countries do when they are evil, mentally ill etc? Like what do they do with their rage? Do they just say screw it I don’t have a gun so I will just do nothing? Do they torture animals? I want to really understand what makes people in other countries not act out like they do here

They have universal health care and get help.
The propensity to actually get help, as in make that step, is not something that can be given just by universal health care which despite the name and the assumption people have is not universally applied in other countries. There are different health care systems.

And other countries too suffer from stigmas related to mental health but there is probably a more openness depending on the country. Certain cultures it is also still stigmatized. My sister-in-law's boyfriend is Muslim and his brother has experienced some very severe issues with mental health going so far as to be under a drug psychosis for a prolonged period of time. They are well off and can reasonably afford care, the barrier to him getting help is not access to mental health, it is his family (which he is single and still lives with them as is more culturally acceptable) that which struggles with the idea of getting him aid.

I have a serious question for non Americans. Other countries have people with mental health issues. What they don’t have is guns. What do people do in other countries do when they are evil, mentally ill etc? Like what do they do with their rage? Do they just say screw it I don’t have a gun so I will just do nothing? Do they torture animals? I want to really understand what makes people in other countries not act out like they do here
Stuff happens here too. There was the mass murder in Nova Scotia last year. Gunman was a complete lunatic.

And a mentally ill student killed 5 friends at a party in Calgary with a knife a few years ago.

Our mental health resources locally suck. So no that’s not it.

Privacy law vs government vs social media requirements is probably part of the issue. Can we start a petition for change?

How about a mental health database along with mandatory background checks for private sales?
We already have background checks for gun store or online purchases but some states do not require them for private sales. ETA- not sure about online sales in other states, here you can order a firearm online but have to have it shipped to an FFL that will run your background check before you take possession of it.
Background checks including criminal and mental health check (as in have you ever been or are currently being treated for 'specific conditions determined by mental health professionals that put you at a higher probability for harming yourself for every single purchase. Checking a box "no" shouldn't be enough, there should be a database where that "no" can be confirmed.
How about for anyone making any threat on social media about shooting someone, or many people they are automatically flagged and cannot purchase a firearm.
How about stricter enforcement of Red Flag laws. In 2019 NY's Red Flag laws went into effect, yet the Buffalo shooter was able to purchase a firearm without anything coming up on his background check.

I'd gladly sign petitions for those things.

That is putting a bandage on a broken leg. A school shouldnt need a security officer. The deadbolts on doors, the trainings kids go through at school in case of a shooting, security songs to teach 5 year olds.

It is all fighting the symptoms and not the disease.

It is a cultural and a political problem the US has.

We. Can. Do. BOTH. (treat the disease and the symptoms).

I think the thing we all can agree on regardless of political affiliations is that the status quo is not an okay answer anymore. We can do better. We MUST do more and be a better society. 🤔🙏

Agreed. I hope we can agree that both sides need to stop vilifying the other when these shootings happen. That does nothing to help the situation, both sides need to put aside the hate they have for each other, and the rhetoric blaming each other and work together for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!