Using DVC points for a Disney Cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorie Walker

Eeyore
Hello, we are going to be booking a cruise for spring2018 and we are already using some of our 2018 points. Will we be able to borrow ahead to 2019 points if the cruise is in 2018?

If the departure date is during your 2018 UY, you can borrow from your 2019 UY.

Keep in mind that resale points purchased after 3/21/2011 can't be used for a Disney Cruise.

It is also a better value better to rent out your points and use the cash to book your cruise.

:earsboy: Bill

It is also a better value better to rent out your points and use the cash to book your cruise.

I wondered how quick that would show up LOL!

(I use my points for cruises routinely. "Value" is in the eye of the beholder and spending time running a rental business is not my idea of fun. And since I consider the brokers to be a violation of the rules regarding "commercial renting" I won't use them either!)

Hello :wave:
Your points do what you want.
We are using are points for a cruise next month.
And we don't care if people think we are wasting them and should rent them out and then pay for the cruise .
Their our points and will use them as we see fit.
Have fun with your points.

Hey, I agree, your points, your money. Just letting you and other readers know that paying cash can save you some money.

Bill,
Thanks, but some times people on this boards make you feel like your an idiot or down right ashamed for the way one uses their points.
I think people need to rephrase the way they suggest how to use points. Not telling someone their wasting their points. Sorry this is a sore spot with me.

Bill,
Thanks, but some times people on this boards make you feel like your an idiot or down right ashamed for the way one uses their points.
I think people need to rephrase the way they suggest how to use points. Not telling someone their wasting their points. Sorry this is a sore spot with me.

I can come across as one of those people, I keep things short, to the point, and call it like it is. Lets face it, anyone giving Disney the amount of money that we do, could be considered an idiot. :o As I posted it's your money, you can spend it any way that you wish, don't let others get you down, just blow it off and have fun on your vacations! :thumbsup2

If you can get $9-$12 of value per point towards a cruise, then good for you.

If you get $7-$8 of value per point towards a cruise, well, I guess they're your points, so enjoy them.

But when the value received doesn't even cover maintenance fees, SMH, you own too many points or you have enough money to throw gobs of it away.

::yes::
I can come across as one of those people, I keep things short, to the point, and call it like it is. Lets face it, anyone giving Disney the amount of money that we do, could be considered an idiot. :o As I posted it's your money, you can spend it any way that you wish, don't let others get you down, just blow it off and have fun on your vacations! :thumbsup2

Bill,
I do try to blow off people's negative replies and do what I want .
Now if I could get that stupid tune-when you wish upon a starpixiedust:in my head to stop as I'm making my plans . LOL :rotfl2:
Oh And I have to stop buying points, I believe I have an addiction party:
Thanks for keeping people informed and most of all for helping all of us on the board

And we don't care if people think we are wasting them and should rent them out and then pay for the cruise .
We are the same, we use our points as well.
We are just doing a lot of Disney trips and as are UY is not until Septemer we may need a few lol. I was hoping we could dip into the 2019 allotment if the cruise was in 2018, but it's in Feb so too soon! Oh well. We will work it out!

(I use my points for cruises routinely. "Value" is in the eye of the beholder and spending time running a rental business is not my idea of fun. And since I consider the brokers to be a violation of the rules regarding "commercial renting" I won't use them either!)
Anyone can do what they want but the reality is that there is a hard value in terms of dollars for points used that is easily quantifiable and a cost using points for a cruise or other cash exchange that is also easily defined. That spread is roughly $7-8 per point for most options before taxes.

Bill,

I think many people point out it's a poor value to use DVC points for DCL cruises because it may be useful info to some that care about using their points wisely. After all, one motivation of owning DVC for most people is to "save" money on on-site deluxe accommodation. If money were no object, why not just pay cash for the villas instead of subjecting oneself to DVC's sometimes inflexible rules??

LAX

I do not use the $7-$8 value that most place on the points when figuring out to use the points for a DCL.
That is just a straight divide the cost of the cruise by the number of points required, when using that formula.
What is being left out of those costs is the travel (of the cruise), entertainment, meals, and daily things that happen on a DCL that do not happen in and around the DVC villas. Add these items to the $7 - $8 figure and you come up with a value of the points more along the lines of $10 - $12 per point, IMHO.

Ditto both of you!

::yes::
Bill,
I do try to blow off people's negative replies and do what I want .
Now if I could get that stupid tune-when you wish upon a starpixiedust:in my head to stop as I'm making my plans . LOL :rotfl2:
Oh And I have to stop buying points, I believe I have an addiction party:
Thanks for keeping people informed and most of all for helping all of us on the board
What I tell myself and other people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband: :charac2: :mic: :music:
If someone wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

I do not use the $7-$8 value that most place on the points when figuring out to use the points for a DCL.
That is just a straight divide the cost of the cruise by the number of points required, when using that formula.
What is being left out of those costs is the travel (of the cruise), entertainment, meals, and daily things that happen on a DCL that do not happen in and around the DVC villas. Add these items to the $7 - $8 figure and you come up with a value of the points more along the lines of $10 - $12 per point, IMHO.

What you say is correct if one has to decide if using his points for a cruise or for a DVC stay. With the same amount of points, I could do a 3 nights cruise for two, or a DVC stay in a studio for more that two weeks. The DVC stay has not 5 times the value of the cruise, because of meals and entertainement, as you pointed out.
However, when calculating the monetary value of the points used to book a cruise, we must divide the cost of the cruise for the number of points, and it comes out that it's difficult to get more than $7-8 per point. People should know that if they rent the points, they can get easily $13 per point, even more for sought after resorts. Then it's a personal decision if going for the convenience of the convenience of calling MS to book the cruise or the slighlty less convenient route of calling a broker to rent points.
However, to book a 7 nights cruise for 2, this convenience fee is worth £2100+. Personally, I value a couple of hours of my time (the time required to rent points, all included) much less than $2100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter