Using Disney Transporation from Ship to Disney Resort

Oh my gosh, this sounds awful. Waiting on a bus an hour before an hour-long bus ride seems miserable. It is crazy to me that they don't just start running them when full.

@ktate82 We're a large group too (6 - 9 depending on the cruise). You might want to check a private transfer. I've generally found that for a large group they can be cheaper and get you to the resort faster.

We thought about it, but I was unsure what time to ask for (it's like herding cats sometimes). We thought about taking a Mears transportation van for 8 (same way we are getting to the port except we are using DCL luggage transfer service), and they told me there wouldn't be enough room for luggage.

Oh my gosh, this sounds awful. Waiting on a bus an hour before an hour-long bus ride seems miserable. It is crazy to me that they don't just start running them when full.

I'm surprised by that too. I would think they would have them split up so resorts in the same area go together, and when everyone is on board, head out.

I'm surprised by that too. I would think they would have them split up so resorts in the same area go together, and when everyone is on board, head out.
They sort out the list by how many are going to what resorts. And then fill the bus with whichever resorts (up to 3) will maximize filling the space onboard the bus.

Sometimes that means that the bus will go to 3 resorts close by each other, other times, not.

While the buses for the resorts don't depart until 9:00, I believe that they could leave a few minutes early, if the bus actually fills up before that time.

They are trying to avoid multiple buses that are only partially full.

It sounds very similar to how they load Magical Express buses at MCO to me. We have been on both ends of the spectrum with that. At times we didn't wait long at all to depart the airport, and then on our last trip, we got on a nearly empty bus and we sat there for what felt like an eternity. I'm sure it wasn't but we were anxious to get to our resort!

This is an interesting thread as we have always been told that yes, there is no choice but to be on the bus before 9am lest we are left at the port once it leaves. I always wondered how each and every bus heading to WDW would miraculously leave right at 9, but we have dutifully gotten off early and sat on the bus until around 9-9:15 waiting for departure, sometimes up to an hour.

Am I understanding correctly based on the responses to OP’s question that we can have a late seating breakfast and aim to get on the bus around 9:30-10am and there will still be a bus available that late?

This has been our dilemma.

We have late dining. We have multiple food allergies. We pre-order breakfast, but they don't make it for you until you arrive for it. Breakfast is NEVER quick.

So how are we supposed to do the assigned late dinner breakfast in the MDR [8:15] and get off the ship and collect our luggage [we get a porter to help us] and through US Customs and to the buses all by 9 am ? There isn't enough time to do all of that.

SW

We have late dining. We have multiple food allergies. We pre-order breakfast, but they don't make it for you until you arrive for it. Breakfast is NEVER quick.

So how are we supposed to do the assigned late dinner breakfast in the MDR [8:15] and get off the ship and collect our luggage [we get a porter to help us] and through US Customs and to the buses all by 9 am ? There isn't enough time to do all of that.

SW

The final breakfast, even ordering with allergies, has always been quick for me and I have never pre-ordered it. I think because everything else is basically done and it is at 2 set times it is much easier for them to do the allergy breakfasts that day.

SW

I haven't taken Disney transport to a resort, but I can't see them leaving you if you have paid for it. We are taking the bus back to a resort after a cruise in October and are late dining too.

The buses (as in, more than one) to the resorts don't start departing until 9:00. There isn't just one bus to each resort at 9:00. There are multiple buses to the resorts.

When you check in at the bus area, they check you off a list. They are aware of who/how many people have boarded A bus to the resorts. If it's getting to where there are few buses left, and not everyone has been noted as being onboard a resort bus, they will come looking for you.

The buses run until everyone who's purchased transfers has been accommodated.

We always use the bus transportation to and from WDW pre and post cruise. Pre-cruise they pick up the luggage in the AM around 9a and the bus left the resort at 11a. Pre-cruise we've stayed at AK and Poly. Post-cruise we've returned to BC and CC. We're always made the post-cruise resort by 10a and we usually get into the room immediately.

We always use the bus transportation to and from WDW pre and post cruise. Pre-cruise they pick up the luggage in the AM around 9a and the bus left the resort at 11a. Pre-cruise we've stayed at AK and Poly. Post-cruise we've returned to BC and CC. We're always made the post-cruise resort by 10a and we usually get into the room immediately.
How recent was this?

I'm going to guess, you were the first stop for the bus?

Sorry, what's BC and CC?

CC = Copper Creek (Wilderness Lodge) - I think we were a middle stop - we did have to check in at the front desk
BC = Beach Club and we were always the last stop however each time we received the Room Ready text so we could exit the bus and walk directly to the room.

I'm going on a cruise in Dec/Jan including a stop at Atlantis in Nassau. I use a walker, and have a hard time walking long distances at a fast pace. Reading these posts kind of worries me. If I book an excursion, do I have to take the bus, or can I just get a cab to the resort to avoid all of the waiting? Thanks in advance.

I'm going on a cruise in Dec/Jan including a stop at Atlantis in Nassau. I use a walker, and have a hard time walking long distances at a fast pace. Reading these posts kind of worries me. If I book an excursion, do I have to take the bus, or can I just get a cab to the resort to avoid all of the waiting? Thanks in advance.
If you want the perks of using a DCL excursion, you must remain with the group.

Just to clarify... this thread has been about DCL transfers from the ship to WDW resorts post-cruise, at debarkation in Port Canaveral. Not related to port excursions.

As PP says, if you book DCL excursions, you stay with the group using the transportation provided. For many excursions in many different ports you may be able to book a similar excursion privately, not through DCL. You can ask the excursion vendor about the transportation options when you book via the vendor. If you are interested in going to Atlantis, many guests don't book a DCL excursion but rather find their own transportation. You would need to be comfortable with the fact that you are responsible for making sure you return to the ship on time for all-aboard.

Enjoy your cruise!

What is the charge from PC to the resort on the DCL bus?
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter