• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using a travel agent?

I have found that since I am on top of my travel and I am the one with the vested interest, I do it myself. Even with a TA, you will pay more for their fees that are in the discounted rates. I priced several trips over the years through different agencies and ended up booking my own. The general rule of thumb was their fees were about $150-250 markup on each of the trips. IMO its not worth it to book through a TA unless your savings they offer are greater and if you aren't familiar with WDW. If you know the lay of the land then it's not worth it. Plus I am an odd ball and enjoy planning and researching, it's my pre trip excitement!!

I have no clue what agency you used, but I have never encountered an Earmarked agency that charges any type of fee to their clients. Booking through a TA is generally free to the client. Disney is the one paying the fee through commissions paid to the agency. If an agency is charging some type of booking fee, I would look for another agency, but this is not standard practice.

I used a TA for our upcoming trip in Oct. They offered a rate that was better than I would have received from Disney. We are staying at Poly. They TA gets convention block rates and then sell the rooms to customers. Obviously they take a cut of it. We booked through the TA and I've handled all FP and planning myself. We haven't taken our trip yet, but I don't foresee any issues. We had no problem connecting our reservations to My Disney Experience &/or booking our ADRs or FPs.

Yes, this is correct. Disney is paying the agency a commission on each booking.

Is there any hope of a reputable travel agency being able to obtain a discount not available to the general public?
Absolutely. The travel agency that I use books rooms from WDW at convention rates, then passes on the savings to clients. It's significantly cheaper than the seasonal WDW deals. I can't use their name or direct you there due to board rules, though. They are on the level and they do not charge you any fees. They've worked wonderfully with me, even when I've had to cancel a reservation.

Absolutely. The travel agency that I use books rooms from WDW at convention rates, then passes on the savings to clients. It's significantly cheaper than the seasonal WDW deals. I can't use their name or direct you there due to board rules, though. They are on the level.
Hi Shanti - Sounds like maybe we've possibly used the same TA. Do you know if you're able to request rooms when you book this way? I think I read before that the rooms are usually in one spot of the resort? We're staying at Poly and perhaps all of the convention rooms are in 1 or 2 specific buildings? I assume the fax room request stuff doesn't work when I've booked through a TA? Any info or tips on that?

Hi Shanti - Sounds like maybe we've possibly used the same TA. Do you know if you're able to request rooms when you book this way? I think I read before that the rooms are usually in one spot of the resort? We're staying at Poly and perhaps all of the convention rooms are in 1 or 2 specific buildings? I assume the fax room request stuff doesn't work when I've booked through a TA? Any info or tips on that?
I've never faxed a room request, so I wouldn't know. Sorry. :confused3

You can request a room. We did at the Poly and had a great room. I don't know if that'll work now with the new pool/marina view booking category.

I have heard people reference fees before but I don't understand this. I am a TA and my fees are paid by Disney, not my clients. Disney builds a commission into every booking. If a regular person books their own trip, Disney just keeps the commission. If a TA books the trip for a client, Disney pays that commission. I would not trust or use n agency that marks up a trip and expects me to pay them I addition to what Disney is paying them.

I have used the TA that has agency exclusives that many here have used and there are NO fees to the client.

I have no clue what agency you used, but I have never encountered an Earmarked agency that charges any type of fee to their clients. Booking through a TA is generally free to the client. Disney is the one paying the fee through commissions paid to the agency. If an agency is charging some type of booking fee, I would look for another agency, but this is not standard practice.

I just need to chime in here in agreement and say that as a TA, like @china mom said I don't know where the idea that you pay a TA a fee comes from. If you're working with a TA and he/she is charging you a fee, something isn't right and you need to find another agency. It shouldn't cost you any more to book through a TA than it would to book on your own.

I think I read before that the rooms are usually in one spot of the resort? We're staying at Poly and perhaps all of the convention rooms are in 1 or 2 specific buildings? I assume the fax room request stuff doesn't work when I've booked through a TA?

I don't know if this is true but one time on a group booking we were upgraded to a suite at Poly, one time at BWI we were offered a paid upgrade to CL, and one time we were upgraded from std to GV room at BWI. So I don't think that booking through a TA with a group rate ruins your chances of a better room location.

I always have the TA make room requests. Sometimes we get them, and sometimes we don't, but we have never had a 'bad' location.

I have a question about utilizing an agency exclusive offer. Does it work like Disney discounts where you just need to check in before the last day of the offer, or do your travel dates all need to fall within the time frame of the offer?

For example.... if one of the date ranges of the offer is March 5-12, and you wanted to be there March 7-14... would you be able to utilize that discount for any, all or none of the days? Thanks!

I have a question about utilizing an agency exclusive offer. Does it work like Disney discounts where you just need to check in before the last day of the offer, or do your travel dates all need to fall within the time frame of the offer?

For example.... if one of the date ranges of the offer is March 5-12, and you wanted to be there March 7-14... would you be able to utilize that discount for any, all or none of the days? Thanks!

I've heard of some people getting the discount for additional dates if they go beyond the discounted dates. But I've heard some saying they couldn't do it. It probably depends on the discount and agent.

If there is availability, they can typically extend the bookings 5 days prior to the travel window and 5 days after.

Anyone else having a hard time finding a TA who can do both the discounts AND the dining/FP reservations? It seems from my pool of TA choices that I would have to choose between having one or the other only.

Plus I am an odd ball and enjoy planning and researching, it's my pre trip excitement!!
I had to chuckle at this because i think most of us here thrive on the pre-trip planning -- you are not the odd ball on this board!!

As for OP -- I have never used a TA for any trip - my ex did use one for our honeymoon because someone told him they would get us a great deal, but after i researched a bit i was able to find the same rates or even better. I think TA, with the vast info on the internet, are more for those people really planing extensive trips or those who don't utilize the internet. A co-work used a TA and booked her flights through them too, when the flight times changed the TA said she couldn't do anything. My coworker called the airline herself and poof no problem to be switched to a different flight. I'd be doubtful that a TA would be constantly check to see if they could get us a better deal. Plus with the route of DVC rentals -- those are where you get the best room prices for deluxe resorts - No way could a TA even come close to those prices.

I had to chuckle at this because i think most of us here thrive on the pre-trip planning -- you are not the odd ball on this board!!

As for OP -- I have never used a TA for any trip - my ex did use one for our honeymoon because someone told him they would get us a great deal, but after i researched a bit i was able to find the same rates or even better. I think TA, with the vast info on the internet, are more for those people really planing extensive trips or those who don't utilize the internet. A co-work used a TA and booked her flights through them too, when the flight times changed the TA said she couldn't do anything. My coworker called the airline herself and poof no problem to be switched to a different flight. I'd be doubtful that a TA would be constantly check to see if they could get us a better deal. Plus with the route of DVC rentals -- those are where you get the best room prices for deluxe resorts - No way could a TA even come close to those prices.

A certain travel agent offers agency exclusives certain times of the year that has better deals than DVC rentals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter