USB 3 Card Reader

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
I finally found one. It's a Delkin Ddreader 42 USB 3.0.

I did a quick speed comparison between the reader built into my monitor, my normal reader, and the new USB 3 reader. My test was copying two files totaling 1.2 gigabytes. I wrote down the throughput reported by Windows as well as the total time from when I dropped the file until the file copy dialog closed. I tested reads and writes. I used a Transcend 32GB 400x CF card for testing. The USB 2 reader and monitor went through a USB hub, which might have affected performance, although I never noticed a difference between direct connection and the hub.

Here are the times I saw:

Monitor-Write 8.3 MB/s, 2:33
Monitor-Read 9.6 MB/s, 2:13

USB 2 Reader-Write 17 MB/s, 1:15
USB 2 Reader-Read 19 MB/s, 1:10

USB 3 Reader-Write 34.3 MB/s, 0:36
USB 3 Reader-Read 90 MB/s, 0:19

Given that I will use the reader almost exclusively for reading, the 4x speed improvement is well worth the $35 to me.

Will you see the same gain? I don't know. It depends on the CF/SD card that you use. It depends on the drive you are writing to. It depends on the USB 3 implementation on your computer.

I like to get myself a dish of ice cream while my pictures are downloading- I don't think 19 seconds is enough time.

This is all very interesting, but who are you two guys??? :rotfl:

I was beginning to think I would only see you all on Facebook from now on. (BTW, you have had some very nice shots lately Jeff!)

It sounds like I will be looking for USB 3 built into my next pc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter