UsAir merge with America West- Are my tickets safe?

CheapMom

DIS Veteran
If this USAir and AW merge happens will my USAir tix for next October be honored? I went to flyertalk but am now only more confused.

CheapMom said:
If this USAir and AW merge happens will my USAir tix for next October be honored? I went to flyertalk but am now only more confused.
When two airlines combine through a merger or acquisition, the tickets of both airlines continue to be honored. Generally, the only difference would be that some passengers end up on an aircraft with a different logo on the tail. Schedules may also be adjusted on routes where the two airlines feed passengers to each other.

If the combined airline drops a route, then they'll make alternate arrangements, such as a different routing or even a different airline. If the resulting change causes a substantial change in flight arrival time or total flight time (for a connection), they should offer you a refund, even for a nonrefundable ticket. But keep in mind that schedule and route map changes can occur on any airline, especially if you've booked far in advance.

The airline industry has a long history of mergers and aquisitions. For example, do you remeber Western Airlines, Ozark Airlines, Republic Airlines, PSA, AirCal, Reno Air, TWA? They didn't fold. They were absorbed by stronger carriers.

In this case the financially stronger airline, America West, would acquire US Airways, which is currently operating under Chapter 11. But America West isn't rich enough to bail US Airways out of their financial situation, so the combined airline would still need to seek outside equity.

I wouldn't worry about any tickets on US Airways or America West.

From what I heard on the news here in Pittsburgh, the merged airline would operate under USAirways' name. Either way, tickets would be honored.

If the merger goes through it will operate under the USAirways name. I wouldn't worry about your tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter