USA Women's Bathing Suits-Oh My!

Brazilian tourists are hardly compelling evidence on US styles. There are VERY different community standards for beachwear in Brazil, than in the US.

FWIW, I'm old. I was a teen in the 70s, when unlined crocheted bikinis were popular, so I'm pretty hard to shock. I also have a 15 yo daughter, and I spend a lot of time driving that crowd to things. My anecdotal observation is that every single one of them is noticeably more conservative when it comes to swimwear than my peers and I were at the same age. They are much more athletic than we were, and they have no patience with activewear (including swimwear) that creeps or slips unless you're lounging on a chair or standing still. They want suits that stay put when they play hard, and that keep the sand out of uncomfortable places, and that's what they choose when I'm shopping with them. (To be clear, I'm just driving; they go and shop on their own. However, I do end up seeing what they bought, because when everyone meets back up and gets into the car, they like to pull everything out and compare purchases. Also, FTR, these girls are not religious conservatives, either.)
Might I recommend Jolyn? They make one pieces and bikinis for surfers and competitive swimmers. The suits are super cute and stay put (even if they are sometimes a little cheeky).

Might I recommend Jolyn? They make one pieces and bikinis for surfers and competitive swimmers. The suits are super cute and stay put (even if they are sometimes a little cheeky).

I'd say those are more than a little cheeky; DD at least wouldn't want to wear that.

Most of my DD's friends prefer boy-short cut, and often the retro high-waist type that comes up right to the navel. The tops they like tend to look rather like sports bras.

My view is that is 3/4ths of a girl’s tush is all it takes the banjax your day, you may be strung too tight.

What I like to do is just look at the person’s face area. Are they smiling? If yes then there’s probably nothing you can say that will help.

I'd say those are more than a little cheeky; DD at least wouldn't want to wear that.

Most of my DD's friends prefer boy-short cut, and often the retro high-waist type that comes up right to the navel. The tops they like tend to look rather like sports bras.
Lol those would be a wetsuit to my daughters.

They have a variety of bottoms with different levels of coverage with strings to keep them in place and tops that don’t go anywhere. They don’t have what your girls are looking for in boy shorts. Sorry!

My DD adores her Jolyns and even taught swimming and lifeguarded on one of their “onesies”.

Wasn't that event taking place at the white house? It was a press briefing not a memorial. I'm as perplexed as the other poster--she looks fine. She's not showing a bunch of cleavage. In that moment in the picture she's clearly leaning forward a little bit but there's zero revealing about what she's wearing.

Talk about life imitating the DIS: Yesterday, the very day this thread debuted, I'm in a store, and suddenly there's two young women in swimsuits. One wrapped only in a towel around her waist, the other uncovered and in a thong swimsuit. One of the store associates must have said something, because I could overhear one of the women saying that she "wasn't naked, so it wasn't a big deal".

I don't know the rules of attire, but this was the Dollar Tree, and some days it's like a mini-Florida or a Waffle House because anything goes. But the ultimate point is, I wasn't even at the beach (it's miles from this store) and this topic actually manifested itself into my day.

I'm in my 40's and my parents were older when they had me, so they grew up in the 40/50's. I still feel weird wearing a tank top if you can see my bra straps lol. But we frequent the lake of the ozarks in the summer and we have 2 young boys. The swim suits there tend to be very small, but I expect that, as it tends to be a party atmosphere and I know that going in. We tend to stick to more family oriented places if we stop to eat, and we don't see as much of that. But on the occasion we go to a restaurant that is more of a younger crowd, theres not much coverage there, and even at 10, my kid notices. Why does she have her suit up her butt like that? Bc she wants to son. Thats it. Let it be buddy.

For myself, I def don't have super skimpy suits, but I do have levels of coverage depending on who we are with. If its just our family/close friends, I wear a normal bikini, like high waisted (bc kids) and decent coverage up top. If we have other people out with us who I know wear more full coverage stuff, then thats what I wear too, tankinis, one pieces etc. I try to take into account what our friends are comfortable with, just as I do with my language. I cuss in front of my kids but not everyone does, so I'm respectful of their comfort level.

I did not notice super skimpy suits when I was a teenager, but maybe just none of my friends were allowed to wear them. I know I wouldn't have been. The real question tho, is how on earth is that comfortable? lol

Brazilian tourists are hardly compelling evidence on US styles. There are VERY different community standards for beachwear in Brazil, than in the US.

FWIW, I'm old. I was a teen in the 70s, when unlined crocheted bikinis were popular, so I'm pretty hard to shock. I also have a 15 yo daughter, and I spend a lot of time driving that crowd to things. My anecdotal observation is that every single one of them is noticeably more conservative when it comes to swimwear than my peers and I were at the same age. They are much more athletic than we were, and they have no patience with activewear (including swimwear) that creeps or slips unless you're lounging on a chair or standing still. They want suits that stay put when they play hard, and that keep the sand out of uncomfortable places, and that's what they choose when I'm shopping with them. (To be clear, I'm just driving; they go and shop on their own. However, I do end up seeing what they bought, because when everyone meets back up and gets into the car, they like to pull everything out and compare purchases. Also, FTR, these girls are not religious conservatives, either.)
I have two young boys and I have them wear water shirts with their swim shorts when we’re outside for sun protection. Last week, my five year old started swim lessons. I told him he didn’t have to wear the shirt because it was an indoor pool, but he wanted to because “everyone will see my belly.” :laughing: I told him he could do whatever made him comfortable but secretly wondered if he would feel “overdressed” if we got to the pool and he was the only one in a shirt. But, when we got there, out of probably 60+ kids, only two bellies were on display in the whole place — two brothers who went shirtless. Literally every other kid was wearing a one piece or a water shirt at the indoor pool. I definitely feel old and out of touch. Lol.

ETA: Before anyone suggests it, this is not a place that offers advanced or competitive swim lessons where you would expect full-coverage suits. It’s all beginner and basic swim safety where any type of suit would be fine.

Last edited:
I have two young boys and I have them wear water shirts with their swim shorts when we’re outside for sun protection. Last week, my five year old started swim lessons. I told him he didn’t have to wear the shirt because it was an indoor pool, but he wanted to because “everyone will see my belly.” :laughing: I told him he could do whatever made him comfortable but secretly wondered if he would feel “overdressed” if we got to the pool and he was the only one in a shirt. But, when we got there, out of probably 60+ kids, only two bellies were on display in the whole place — two brothers who went shirtless. Literally every other kid was wearing a one piece or a water shirt at the indoor pool. I definitely feel old and out of touch. Lol.

Rash guard type shirts have become more popular. Pair it with some board shorts for a cool, surfer style. I wear one myself because of the UV protection especially.

Rash guard type shirts have become more popular. Pair it with some board shorts for a cool, surfer style. I wear one myself because of the UV protection especially.
Do you wear it at the indoor pool, too, for sun protection? ;) That was what surprised me. But, I guess if that’s what boys are used to wearing now that’s just what they’ll feel more comfortable in regardless. (Which is fine, btw, I see no problem with that. I feel like I need to add that disclaimer because this is the internet.)

Some kids might like to wear the shirts cause the cool picture on them. Who cares about skin cancer.

Do you wear it at the indoor pool, too, for sun protection? ;) That was what surprised me. But, I guess if that’s what boys are used to wearing now that’s just what they’ll feel more comfortable in regardless. (Which is fine, btw, I see no problem with that. I feel like I need to add that disclaimer because this is the internet.)

Well, I really am never at an indoor facility, but I might if it's just part of my normal swim gear, which it has become.

Who are "The 15s"?
The 15s are Tour Groups of South American girls celebrating their 15th Birthday.

They are FAMOUS for their matching Backpacks and shirts and for their LARGE numbers!

Most are given the choice of a LARGE party at home or a trip to WDW(some will also go to NYC and Miami and Bahamas)and,in addition to WDW,most will also go to Universal,Sea World,Busch Gardens,etc.

Some will also have Private Parties(some with South American entertainers)as well as Quinceanera celebrations in World ShowPlace.

The largest numbers,BY FAR,are from Brazil and Argentina with smaller numbers from Uruguay,Paraguay,Chile,Venezuela,etc.

It is VERY interesting when Brazil and Argentina encounter each other-they DO NOT like each other-mainly because of Soccer.

Their rivalry is like Alabama v. Auburn or Ohio State v. Michigan on STEROIDS!:)

The "main" months for the migration of The 15s are July for their Winter Break and January/February for their Summer Break.

I am very familiar with The 15s as we go every July for my Birthday and,for the most part,they are really nice young ladies,but they can get "out of hand" at times!lol:)

They now use Private Buses alot and that has helped greatly as has the introduction of the Super Greeters in July.

I present to you the LEGENDARY PHENOMENON KNOWN AS THE 15s!lol:)

(Info reflects Pre-Covid WDW.We saw a few 15s in January and expect July to see the "beginning" of the return of The 15s in full force.)

28358124802_af8d3bbc05_c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I think we're all pretty familiar with large Brazilian and Argentine youth tour groups in Orlando theme parks, but I confess that I didn't initially realize that anyone called them "The Fifteens."

I'm more used to them just being referred to as the Brazilian (or South American) tour groups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter