US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Where do you stand on this? Were they too exuberant during their World Cup win?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-debate/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9a7d04d296d6

14667238-7130947-Even_the_substitutes_joined_arms_and_jumped_up_and_down_with_wid-a-51_1560314224693.jpg

14693350-7130947-image-a-17_1560345093844.jpg

Honest question because I just don't know. In the World Cup, does it matter how many goals you score or does it strictly come down to wins?

If it comes down to wins, I think they should have eased up. If it could come down to goals, they have to rack them up where they can.

I did watch the game and DID feel the celebrating after the later goals was VERY excessive. On the first couple of goals, and Alex Morgan's 5th goal was for a record. I totally get it, but after 10, is it really necessary? The one with pink hair (don't know her name) was really way too much. Showed poor taste IMO.

ETA: I did play competitive sports, as do both of my children. I've seen/been on both sides of it (winning with huge numbers and losing with huge numbers), still seemed excessive to me.

Last edited:
I think this is much ado about nothing. Anyone who has ever played sports knows adrenaline is running through your body, during a game. Every score & every win is exciting & something to celebrate. Serious athletes never stop playing. If they only played their starters for the entire game, I could see why there would be a controversy. Those who have a problem with this either haven't played sports on a competitive level or they're used to being on the losing team.

I'll admit to being someone that doesn't see a problem with everyone getting a trophy on the elementary school level. IMO, it doesn't hurt to give a young child confidence. At some point, only the best players will make the team, so there won't be participation trophies. Even though I still believe in that, this controversy helps me understand why some people disagree with it.

Last edited:

I think this is much ado about nothing. Anyone who has ever played sports knows adrenaline is running through your body, during a game. Every score & every win is exciting & something to celebrate. helps me understand why some people disagree with it.

I get the adrenaline, but if your like a head 10-0 and you score again, do you really act like you hit the game winning shot (i am sure "shot" is not correct term, but clueless about soccer )

Honest question because I just don't know. In the World Cup, does it matter how many goals you score or does it strictly come down to wins?

If it comes down to wins, I think they should have eased up. If it could come down to goals, they have to rack them up where they can.

I did watch the game and DID feel the celebrating after the later goals was VERY excessive. On the first couple of goals, and Alex Morgan's 5th goal was for a record. I totally get it, but after 10, is it really necessary? The one with pink hair (don't know her name) was really way too much. Showed poor taste IMO.

ETA: I did play competitive sports, as do both of my children. I've seen/been on both sides of it (winning with huge numbers and losing with huge numbers), still seemed excessive to me.
Someone associated with the team (I forget who, I don't follow it, either) said it would be disrespectful to the other team to let up. I can see what she means - like they're not good enough so you don't play your best. In order to have made it there, the Thailand team must be pretty good, right?

I don't know for sure, but in the sport I do know about, scores can help in placement as the games advance.

Last edited:
Yes, number of goals scored does matter
in World Cup for potential placement.

Our ladies national soccer team has been challenging some of the disparities in pay, etc. compared to the men's team. There's a lot riding on their performance at this point in time.

https://wtop.com/soccer/2019/06/goa...-women-for-scoring-13-goals-against-thailand/

Im all for them trying to score all the time, I just would tame the reaction a little bit when you way ahead. Anyone remember oyr USA swim team a few Olympics ago, they were rubbing it in with the celebrations, then another nation (cant remember who ) beat them and they acted just like the USA team did just to rub it in their face

I think this is much ado about nothing. Anyone who has ever played sports knows adrenaline is running through your body, during a game. Every score & every win is exciting & something to celebrate. Serious athletes never stop playing. If they only played their starters for the entire game, I could see why there would be a controversy. Those who have a problem with this either haven't played sports on a competitive level or they're used to being on the losing team.

I'll admit to being someone that doesn't see a problem with everyone getting a trophy on the elementary school level. IMO, it doesn't hurt to give a young child confidence. At some point, only the best players will make the team, so there won't be participation trophies. Even though I still believe in that, this controversy helps me understand why some people disagree with it.

Serious athletes are also taught how to show class. These athletes forgot their lessons. If they were never taught it, they had bad coaches, bad parents, and bad support.

If you're a competitor you give it everything you have, when you're playing. Celebrating a score is a natural instinct.
Someone associated with the team (I forget who, I don't follow it, either) said it would be disrespectful to the other team to let up. I can see what she means - like they're not good enough so you don't play your best. In order to have made it there, the Thailand team must be pretty good, right?

I don't know for sure, but in the sport I do know about, scores can help in placement as the games advance.
Yes, number of goals scored does matter
in World Cup for potential placement.

Our ladies national soccer team has been challenging some of the disparities in pay, etc. compared to the men's team. There's a lot riding on their performance at this point in time.

https://wtop.com/soccer/2019/06/goa...-women-for-scoring-13-goals-against-thailand/

No one is saying not to score, or to let up. In a tournament where goal differential is counted, you need to rack up the goals. What isn’t needed, and is classless, is over the top celebrating after it’s clear you’re going to win. It’s a bad look, no matter the team.

Serious athletes are also taught how to show class. These athletes forgot their lessons. If they were never taught it, they had bad coaches, bad parents, and bad support.

No one is saying not to score, or to let up. In a tournament where goal differential is counted, you need to rack up the goals. What isn’t needed, and is classless, is over the top celebrating after it’s clear you’re going to win. It’s a bad look, no matter the team.
I disagree.

On a related topic, I'm surprised people are making a big deal of this & not even talking about what happened in the NBA finals game Monday night. I'm pulling for Toronto, because they have a Tar Heel on the team, but that was inexcusable. I guess we have a different standard for players who are actually out there giving it everything the have in the heat of the moment & fans.

Last edited:
Lots of people are taking about it. And saying that it was wrong.

That may be true, but I'm surprised this topic came up here, when the other one didn't. As a previous athlete, I can understand the athletes being caught up in the moment. I'm surprised that other people who have played competitive sports don't understand that. As a fan, I think what happened at the NBA game was inexcusable.

FWIW, I don't believe in running up a score, unless everyone gets a chance to play. I just find it ridiculous to think the players won't celebrate a score. Some of the players may not have a chance to celebrate goals, when they're on the field, as the competition gets tougher.

Last edited:
Im all for them trying to score all the time, I just would tame the reaction a little bit when you way ahead. Anyone remember oyr USA swim team a few Olympics ago, they were rubbing it in with the celebrations, then another nation (cant remember who ) beat them and they acted just like the USA team did just to rub it in their face

It was mainly one swimmer on that relay Gary Hall Jr. who said, "My biased opinion says that we will smash them (Australia's 4x100m team) like guitars. Historically the U.S. has always risen to the occasion. But the logic in that remote area of my brain says it won't be so easy for the United States to dominate the waters this time."
It certainly wasn't the quote it was made out to be in the media. The Aussies won and played air guitar. By the way the rest of the meet, the Americans dominated winning 14 golds and 33 medals to the Aussies 5 golds and 18 medals.

That may be true, but I'm surprised this topic came up here, when the other one didn't. As a previous athlete, I can understand the athletes being caught up in the moment. I'm surprised that other people who have played competitive sports don't understand that. As a fan, I think what happened at the NBA game was inexcusable.

It did. Check out the NBA thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter