US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't been following that thread. As a former athlete, I simply find one of the instances much worse than the other. The soccer controversy seems like little league to me.

I think anyone in their right mind would think fans cheering while a player is injured is worse than athletes cheering, or over-cheering, their accomplishments.

Some fans are *******s. And some live in Toronto.

And some former athletes, and current, wouldn't imagine the same type of celebration decisions after each of their goals, in that situation. So being an athlete has little to do with overlap in opinion. The U.S Women's Soccer Team and personnel are fine with it all. So it is all extended drama now.

As is going overboard on extremely poor choices by fans.

Last edited:
I think anyone in their right mind would think fans cheering while a player is injured is worse than athletes cheering, or over-cheering, their accomplishments.

Some.fans are *******s. And some live in Toronto.

And some former athletes wouldn't imagine the same celebration decisions after each of their goals.So being an athlete has little to do with opinion. The U.S Women's Soccer Team and personnel are fine with it all. So it is all extended drama now.

As is going overboard on extremely poor choices by fans.

I've never seen any team that didn't celebrate a goal. Have you ever seen a football, baseball, hockey or another soccer team that didn't celebrate a score, regardless of how far ahead they are? This entire topic is totally bizarre to me. Should all sports have a limit on how far ahead a team can be, before they have to stop celebrating scores? FWIW, I would feel no differently, if someone did the same thing to the US team.

Last edited:
On a related topic, I'm surprised people are making a big deal of this & not even talking about what happened in the NBA finals game Monday night. I'm pulling for Toronto, because they have a Tar Heel on the team, but that was inexcusable. I guess we have a different standard for players who are actually out there giving it everything the have in the heat of the moment & fans.

You obviously don't watch hockey...cheering injured players off is the usual.

Serious athletes are also taught how to show class. These athletes forgot their lessons. If they were never taught it, they had bad coaches, bad parents, and bad support.

No one is saying not to score, or to let up. In a tournament where goal differential is counted, you need to rack up the goals. What isn’t needed, and is classless, is over the top celebrating after it’s clear you’re going to win. It’s a bad look, no matter the team.

And no where in my post did I mention my opinion on the celebration after goals.

Merely stated the point differential could matter and that the US Women's team has a lot riding on this World Cup.

Im all for them trying to score all the time, I just would tame the reaction a little bit when you way ahead. Anyone remember oyr USA swim team a few Olympics ago, they were rubbing it in with the celebrations, then another nation (cant remember who ) beat them and they acted just like the USA team did just to rub it in their face

do you really act like you hit the game winning shot (i am sure "shot" is not correct term, but clueless about soccer )
Yes. Goals matter.

I guess we have a different standard for players who are actually out there giving it everything the have in the heat of the moment & fans.
We have a different standard for men versus women.

I have no problem with celebrating every point scored.

They weren't shouting taunts at the other team. Needing to worry about the feelings of your opponent when you score more than them is for Little League...not the World Cup.
I agree.

I think we, as a culture, should not have an opinion more often about stuff.

I literally don't care.

TBH if you score a goal in the world cup its a reason to celebrate regardless if the score.
You also have to remember that - Morgan aside- the scoring was pretty spread out so players were celebrating their individual goals....not the team hitting double figures

THIS! Do you realize how small the odds of scoring a goal in a World Cup match are? How could you not celebrate? This is a dream come true for many of these women and possibly the only time it will happen for some. My dd can play a season and be lucky if she scores a goal (she plays defense mostly) but if she does everyone on the team celebrates with her no matter the score.

This is professional sports, this is their job. Why should we stop celebrating or trying because adults' feelings will be hurt?

I've got mixed emotions about this (and my kids play soccer).

For Scoring/Celebrating
1) Scoring in a WC is not a routine occurrence, so I understand celebrating, even if it is the 11th, 12th, or 13th goal. They're celebrating the individual's accomplishment who might not get a chance to score again.
2) Goal differential (goals scored - goals allowed) is a tie breaker for seeding in the knockout round, so racking up the score is understandable. I'm not sure if WC has a limit per game (youth tournaments often do), but if not, you need to score as many as you can.
3) We're talking adults, not young kids who might get so demoralized after a beat down like this they could give up the game.

Against Scoring/Celebrating
1) As mentioned, act like you've been here before. Once you get to 5+, sure, congratulate the goal scorer, but does it need to be over the top?

My son's soccer team recently had their state competition. One of the preliminary games ended 10-0 in their favor. The team doesn't drastically celebrate any goal, but as they kept going up, the celebrations (from team and fans) got more subdued.

On a related topic, I'm surprised people are making a big deal of this & not even talking about what happened in the NBA finals game Monday night. I'm pulling for Toronto, because they have a Tar Heel on the team, but that was inexcusable. I guess we have a different standard for players who are actually out there giving it everything the have in the heat of the moment & fans.
That may be true, but I'm surprised this topic came up here, when the other one didn't.
I haven't been following that thread.
I think it's bad to claim no one is talking about a subject when you don't follow a thread that would be talking about the subject.
I also think it's bad to claim no one is talking about a subject when you are more than free to start your own thread about the subject.

I've never seen any team that didn't celebrate a goal. Have you ever seen a football, baseball, hockey or another soccer team that didn't celebrate a score, regardless of how far ahead they are? This entire topic is totally bizarre to me. Should all sports have a limit on how far ahead a team can be, before they have to stop celebrating scores? FWIW, I would feel no differently, if someone did the same thing to the US team.

Will totally agree with you, so to use this to the NBA finals, if Toronto gets up by 15, should they let up and not a showboat dunk or try anymore 3 point shots because you know, they are PROBABLY going to win so there is no use trying anymore? As long as these women were not taunting the other team, I see no problem with celebrating a goal. We seem to get offended by anything anymore.

I've got mixed emotions about this (and my kids play soccer).

For Scoring/Celebrating
1) Scoring in a WC is not a routine occurrence, so I understand celebrating, even if it is the 11th, 12th, or 13th goal. They're celebrating the individual's accomplishment who might not get a chance to score again.
2) Goal differential (goals scored - goals allowed) is a tie breaker for seeding in the knockout round, so racking up the score is understandable. I'm not sure if WC has a limit per game (youth tournaments often do), but if not, you need to score as many as you can.
3) We're talking adults, not young kids who might get so demoralized after a beat down like this they could give up the game.

Against Scoring/Celebrating
1) As mentioned, act like you've been here before. Once you get to 5+, sure, congratulate the goal scorer, but does it need to be over the top?

My son's soccer team recently had their state competition. One of the preliminary games ended 10-0 in their favor. The team doesn't drastically celebrate any goal, but as they kept going up, the celebrations (from team and fans) got more subdued.
I think this post is similar to how I feel. For the record, I have played and my daughter (dance) and son (soccer, lacrosse, and football) play competitive sports. I have always been proud that my son never goes over the top when he scores, he simply smiles and walks back to get in position for the kickoff (or face-off). But, that is his personality. We have been on both sides of that where we are way up or getting pummeled. Sometimes, I wonder why the other team is acting like they just scored the game winning goal in stoppage time at the championships. However, it is probably not fair to equate youth sports to the World Cup.

Unfortunately, we do not know the true motivation of the celebration and will never know. My feelings are:

If the celebration after the goals were truly just an outpouring of the emotion of the game and teammates congratulating each other, I have no problem with it.

However, if the celebrations were more of the look at me type, I think it is excessive, especially for the later goals. I certainly would not want to see orchestrated team celebrations for those later goals.

I think this post is similar to how I feel. For the record, I have played and my daughter (dance) and son (soccer, lacrosse, and football) play competitive sports. I have always been proud that my son never goes over the top when he scores, he simply smiles and walks back to get in position for the kickoff (or face-off). But, that is his personality. We have been on both sides of that where we are way up or getting pummeled. Sometimes, I wonder why the other team is acting like they just scored the game winning goal in stoppage time at the championships. However, it is probably not fair to equate youth sports to the World Cup.

Unfortunately, we do not know the true motivation of the celebration and will never know. My feelings are:

If the celebration after the goals were truly just an outpouring of the emotion of the game and teammates congratulating each other, I have no problem with it.

However, if the celebrations were more of the look at me type, I think it is excessive, especially for the later goals. I certainly would not want to see orchestrated team celebrations for those later goals.

Both of my dds have played soccer their whole lives, rec, select and premier levels. At the premier level, when we see a reaction similar to your son's, we tend to think that scoring must be such a normal thing for him that he (and his teammates) don't get that excited about it and that seems just as bad as an excessive celebration. Funny how there are so many different perspectives.

Having been on both sides (as a parent) of blowouts in soccer, the experience has varied in each situation. In many cases, it depends on the experience of the team doing the blowing out. Meaning, one of the teams my son has played on has always been a highly ranked team so they're usually pretty good about celebrations and general game play. My son has also played on teams that weren't used to winning in general and when those teams have gotten in a situation where they're blowing a team out, many of the kids have all tried to score goals (many of whom normally don't score).

On the other side of the coin, we've been blown out by teams whose parents are still whooping and hollering and ringing cow bells (a pet peeve of mine :p ) when up 9 and 10 goals.

All that being said, the US Women's team had to know they were going to blow out Thailand and I tend to agree that some of the celebrations seemed a little over the top as a viewer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter