URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

pauldolling said:
If everyone thought like this, then what would stop a terrorist take a teddy on board that may contain explosives? Think about it. All our saftey is more important than luxury items and yes I do have children and I know that this will cause upset for little ones but thats life

I of course realise that people put explosives in teddys! They can put explosives in anything.. thats why our hand luggage is checked.But no one is putting anything in my sons Pooh Bear...so by not taking Pooh bear is not going to make the world safer. Actually its going to be a thieves paradise with the suitcases now containing everything that should be in hand luggage.

I am more than happy for them to say, put hand luggage in a clear bag and it will be thoroughly checked prior to boarding the plane.. but to say we cant take anything is ridiculous! A

Anyone who thinks that any woman wants the entire plane to know when she has her period has no flippin idea at all and is probably a man!

mushumadness said:
dont you think if we had more harse punishments for these people (and I use the word lightly) they would be less inclined to do this. and yes I am fully in support of the death penalty for terrorists, that arnt human

:grouphug: i totally agree with you these people are the lowest of the low and the ones that fund them are the biggest cowards they don't risk there lives do they!

SammieG said:
I of course realise that people put explosives in teddys! They can put explosives in anything.. thats why our hand luggage is checked.But no one is putting anything in my sons Pooh Bear...so by not taking Pooh bear is not going to make the world safer. Actually its going to be a thieves paradise with the suitcases now containing everything that should be in hand luggage.

I am more than happy for them to say, put hand luggage in a clear bag and it will be thoroughly checked prior to boarding the plane.. but to say we cant take anything is ridiculous! A

Anyone who thinks that any woman wants the entire plane to know when she has her period has no flippin idea at all and is probably a man!

i understand where your coming from but if one of the terrorists (or a**holes as i like to refer to them) slipped through the net we would have another disaster again just ride it out for now DON'T LET THEM THINK THEY'VE WON

SammieG said:

then if your sons pooh bear is the most important thing to you
DON'T FLY

What a load of rubbish about a period. Typical "only women know what we have to go through" sexist rubbish

If you don't like the new security measures than the solution is in your hands.

I totally understand where people are coming from for entertainment purposes or comfort for kids, but we cant have one rule for one and one rule for another. Just because you and I know we have not put anything in our cuddlies, doesnt mean the airport does. The whole no toys is to stop terrorists from hiding anything in there.

I might be wrong in saying this but please do. I understand that 9/11 7/7 and today were muslims behind the attacks. Unfortunately us brits and US have to pay the price of some sick terrorists. If they start letting some parents on i.e brits and US with toys then it could be classed as racist wouldnt it? I can see why they have to make it a general no no. Its just a pity the innocent have to pay.

SammieG said:

Yes, agreed: you know that you and your family are trustworthy and not terrorists, but how do the authorities know that?

In an ideal world all terrorists would have a certain look, wear certain clothes, and carry a big bag labelled "bomb/concealled weapons". But this does not happen. A terrorist can be anyone. Yes there are arab looking terrorists, but there are also white ones (with blonde hair and blue eyes), there are black ones and any race under the sun. Yes there are male terrorists, but there are also women and children who blow themselves up in the name of religion. There are women who will blow their own children up (along with a bus load of other people): they think that this will ensure their child's place in heaven :confused3 . I know, it is COMPLETELY insane.

Terrorists look for increasingly clever ways to achieve their goals. If they believed that they could get one on a plane in a child's soft toy (being carried by a child), they would. They are sick.

The safest thing that the authorities can do is to introduce these very tight security procedures for at least the time being (although who knows if they will have a longer term affect). Yes it isn't ideal, but the most important thing in all the world is that you and your family are safe.

Make sure that you have travel insurance too - this would not be a good time to travel without it (not that it ever is a good time to travel without it...).

SammieG said:

I don't think anyone wants the whole plane to know that they are having a period, but I don't honestly think that people will be peering at other people's bags looking for tampons/towels AND products are a lot more discreet these days (tampax compact and the allways ultralight being good examples). You would only need a few for a plane trip, you could slip them between your purse and your passport (inside the plastic bag), take one out when you need it and keep it within the palm of your hand in between your seat and the WC.

Boo
(definitely a woman)

what has happened today, or more frighteningly what could have happened is shocking. I have to say that I am a little confused by all the talk of periods and tampons on the post. I cannot understand why anybody would be appalled to think that other people on the plane might know that they are having their period, surely it is a natural thing. If I thought that it would protect me from a potential bomb threat, not only would I display my tampon in a clear bag, I would announce over the speaker that I was having mine - dont want any flames thats just my opinion ....

SammieG said:

I am a woman and I couldn't care less who knows if I have my period - jeez, it's not like it's the ebola virus. Grow up.

I have read this thread and another thread and the whining about these restrictions is pathetic.

Don't like the rules - don't fly. It's the world we live in. My luck, I'll end up behind these dolts in line at the airport.

I am quite sure the airlines will take measures to keep children entertained and adults well-hydrated while on board.

There is nothing worse than an adult whiner. Well, actually there is - being blown up by terrorists. Put things in perspective already.

Uggh.

sorry if this sounds insensitive, I'm not setting out to upset anyone, but personally having these regulations imposed for tampons, personal items, toys etc really is the least thing to worry about when potentially hundreds maybe thousands of lives could be in danger.
Lets look at the big picture: comfort v saftey - I'm 100% for safety EVERY TIME!

This is a serious matter, so let's not trivialise it by turning it into a discussion about tampons and periods.

The news could have been so much worse today, so we should be pleased that we were able to foil the terrorist plans. I'm so glad we arrived back home from the USA last week, but I am sending my best wishes to anyone due to travel within the next few days :wizard: . DH will be be flying to Hong Kong on Monday....but at least it isn't America.

Personally, I believe that any imposed restrictions on hand luggage are completely necessary as a pre-cautionary measure. I would be perfectly happy to have to "suffer" (as some people put it) a longhaul flight without my hand baggage than to risk even a 0.00001% chance of a terrorist attack.

I totally agree with you Deb, I was just a little stunned that this would even enter peoples minds at a time like this

Please dont hate me. I still think clear bags are a great idea. I am still surprised we did not do this after 9/11.

I hope everyone who is due on holiday has a safe trip. I think it is a good time to fly. Anyone who are worried, please dont be just relax and remember your going to see Mickey mouse at the most magical place on earth.

:teeth: ::MickeyMo :tinker: ::MinnieMo :goofy: :donald:

UKDEB said:
This is a serious matter, so let's not trivialise it by turning it into a discussion about tampons and periods.

I agree - I couldn't believe it when I saw it posted. I usually let things like that go - but, I couldn't believe how ridiculous this woman sounded.

On the AOL boards - someone posted about how this is a knee jerk reaction by the govt here in the US. Another whined about what to do with the leftover snacks they would have for their return flight.

We averted a disaster today. We also do not know how widespread this planning was. Any measures necessary to protect me & my children are appreciated - no matter how silly or inconvenient they may seem to others.

I hate flying and i know it's my choice to fly but i can't help feeling sorry for the people who do it for a job looking after us so well in the sky.I'm sure they must think about it when they fly several times a week probably.

I agree that its good that we have all this hightened (sp?) secruity and I have no worries about carrying a clear plastic bag, but (and I know this is selfish) i worry about checking in my expensive camera and equipment which is also for my business and checking my laptop into the hold, not all baggage handlers are honest and will be light fingered (its happened before) and now that we cant use locks (yes I know about the TSA ones, but these have also been known to be broken).

I am probably worrying about nothing, but I wouldn't want to put these things in the hold, sorry.

clairelovesorlando said:
I hate flying and i know it's my choice to fly but i can't help feeling sorry for the people who do it for a job looking after us so well in the sky.I'm sure they must think about it when they fly several times a week probably.

I agree. I would not want to do it. Lasy yr apparently a man was arrested in my town for having a map of a hospital and was linked to terrorism. They could not tell us which hospital I read it in my local paper. I am a Aux Nurse and had a shiver down my back when I read it. I really feel for the flight crew.

Today's news is very worrying and has made me more nervous about flying to Orlando in 3 weeks time. I think its a good measure to not allow hand luggage at this time but I hope that you are allowed hand baggage by the time we fly (only if its safe to). We use virgins twilight check in and stay at the Hilton the night before our flight so our night stuff and cosmetics are in our hand luggage so not being allowed hand luggage would change our plans quite a bit.

A colleague is due to fly from Cardiff to Lanzarote today at 4pm, so I've just been to take a look at the status of his flight - looks as though he will be flying.

Whilst there, I see that the 0830 Monarch to Sanford departed at 1431 and the 1130 Thomson to Sanford is delayed, expected to depart at 1500.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter