URGENT!! NO Hand baggage allowed today

From this morning's press conference in the U.S. -
These notes from the Press Conference of Michael Chertoff, Homeland Security Secretary . . .

21 arrests in UK. Plan well planned and well advanced. Significant number of operatives. Bomb components including liquid explosive ingred and detonating devices disguised as beverages and electronic devices . . . sophisticated . . . international in scope. Cannot assume threat has been completely thwarted or threat neutralized.

1. US Govt raised threat level to Severe/Red for flights from UK.
2. Want to prevent copycats. High/Orange for all aviation.
3. Banning all liquids and gels in carryons, except baby formula and meds (to be inspected).
4. Encourage travellers to pack lightly.
5. Additional security measures, some not visable. Canines, etc.
6. Encourage folks to report any suspicious activity.

Special thanks to British gov't . . . close information sharing . . . we are bound together by being targets for terror.

I was reading some of the posts on one of the US boards here and one woman had put a massive irate post about how her little baby boy must have his gameboy and toys on his flight and that she would try to find a way of getting it on board!!

I really couldnt believe some of the posts i read there, i understand that kids need entertaining on a long flights but surely any parent would rather ahve their child bored and complaining than hurt or worse!

Here is the current status of the Virgin Orlando flights:

Flight number VS 027
Departure date 10 Aug 2006
Route London (LGW) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 11:15
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 15:15
Scheduled arrival time 10 Aug 15:25
Estimated arrival time 10 Aug 18:57

Flight number VS 015
Route London (LGW) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 12:30
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 15:30
Scheduled arrival time 10 Aug 16:40
Estimated arrival time 10 Aug 19:1

Flight number VS 075
Route Manchester,UK (MAN) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 10:25
Actual departure time 10 Aug 13:20
Scheduled arrival time 10 Aug 14:35
Estimated arrival time 10 Aug 17:10

Flight number VS 073
Route Manchester,UK (MAN) to Orlando (MCO)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 13:30
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 17:00
Scheduled arrival time 10 Aug 17:40
Estimated arrival time 10 Aug 20:55

Flight number VS 028
Route Orlando (MCO) to London (LGW)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 17:50
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 20:30
Scheduled arrival time 11 Aug 06:55
Estimated arrival time 11 Aug 09:35

Flight number VS 016
Route Orlando (MCO) to London (LGW)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 19:40
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 21:40
Scheduled arrival time 11 Aug 08:45
Estimated arrival time 11 Aug 10:45

Flight number VS 076
Route Orlando (MCO) to Manchester,UK (MAN)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 18:15
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 19:40
Scheduled arrival time 11 Aug 07:25
Estimated arrival time 11 Aug 08:5

Flight number VS 074
Route Orlando (MCO) to Manchester,UK (MAN)
Scheduled departure time 10 Aug 20:40
Estimated departure time 10 Aug 22:55
Scheduled arrival time 11 Aug 09:50
Estimated arrival time 11 Aug 12:0

flying on sunday from Gatwick........
little bit nervous but due to extra security it will proberly be one of the safest time to fly!
Bit concerend about getting info for the flight home on 30/8? and keeping up with new in the uk.
Best wishes to you all going soon

Have a nice time Ruth. I am sure its much safer to fly now than before.

I agree with what USA said about copy cats. I am sure the extra security and alert will stop these.

We are all entitled to our opinions here believe it or not. I am also stunned at how rude and inconsiderate some of you are to other Disers. I dont think that it is necessary at all.

If I were not flying within the next few days, you know, I wouldnt be bothered either.. but the fact is, assuming there are flights and we feel safe enough to fly, we WILL be.

Its easy to get on your high horse when you will not be affected by these changes!

I dont care if I dont take anything on for myself (infact that would be great) But I would prefer to be able to take on the odd thing for my son, and I would prefer to have valuables with me for safe keeping as I do not trust that they will be safe via luggage handlers (particularly when they know that cases have valuables in them).

This is a knee jerk reaction and probably WAY over the top. The terrorists are still winning by the chaos that is being caused. I suspect that these restrictions will be lifted or eased slightly over the next few days.

I have to say that I am upset by the news today and extremely concerned. We flew 11 days after 9/11 - so it brings back all those memories too.

God forbid, if anything awful was to happen... what would we do once in mid-air? I would hope if the plane was taken over that everyone would attack and at least attempt to stop these maniacs. There should be some sort of information telling passengers what to do instead of just sitting there hoping for the best. Even if there are 10 terrorists on the plane, I'm sure 300 passengers could over power them! I'm really worried, can you tell? Sorry if I'm over reacting but I keep imagining myself in certain situations and what I would do to save everyone!! This is getting to me bigtime !

SammieG said:
I would prefer to have valuables with me for safe keeping as I do not trust that they will be safe via luggage handlers (particularly when they know that cases have valuables in them).

I have to say that I am upset by the news today and extremely concerned. We flew 11 days after 9/11 - so it brings back all those memories too.

I agree Sammie this is why I still bought locks for my suitcases and if customs wants to check my luggage they can break into it. Rather this than anyone snooping around my luggage. I will do the same. I am sure time will tell how the security checks will go.

SammieG,

These reactions are not "knee jerk". The security services will have had processes and procedures in place for many security situations. They will have been planned along time in advance and then invoked when necessary.

Disney D said:
God forbid, if anything awful was to happen... what would we do once in mid-air? I would hope if the plane was taken over that everyone would attack and at least attempt to stop these maniacs. There should be some sort of information telling passengers what to do instead of just sitting there hoping for the best. Even if there are 10 terrorists on the plane, I'm sure 300 passengers could over power them! I'm really worried, can you tell? Sorry if I'm over reacting but I keep imagining myself in certain situations and what I would do to save everyone!! This is getting to me bigtime !

Oh hun try not to worry. Now at least the doors are locked so know one can get into the **** pitt. There will be more checks than ever. Try not to worry and watch lots of disney DVD's and once your there you will have a fab time. I would be feeling the same if I were to be flying in the next few days, but also I will feel safer. I would have mixed emotions as well. I would rather fight for my life than have a terrorist tell me when I can die, but try not to concentrate on these things. Terrorists are just not there to kill people, but also try to get people to live in fear. Dont let them win. Keep your chin up. Pack your clothes and whistle Mickey Mouse Club theme tune gets me excited everytime :rolleyes1

Hi

Me again all I seem to see is when reading this thread is a picture of a boy kissing Minnies nose. I talk too much LOL.

Can we try and stay on topic and offer support to those who are travelling shortly instead of judging people. :thumbsup2

Its getting a little heated and I am sure the mods will close it if it does not cool down.

angel659 said:
Oh hun try not to worry. Now at least the doors are locked so know one can get into the **** pitt. There will be more checks than ever. Try not to worry and watch lots of disney DVD's and once your there you will have a fab time. I would be feeling the same if I were to be flying in the next few days, but also I will feel safer. I would have mixed emotions as well. I would rather fight for my life than have a terrorist tell me when I can die, but try not to concentrate on these things. Terrorists are just not there to kill people, but also try to get people to live in fear. Dont let them win. Keep your chin up. Pack your clothes and whistle Mickey Mouse Club theme tune gets me excited everytime :rolleyes1

Thank you, that was very sweet. I'm whistling the MM club tune now, it helps. :grouphug:

Disney D said:
I'm really worried, can you tell? Sorry if I'm over reacting but I keep imagining myself in certain situations and what I would do to save everyone!! This is getting to me bigtime !

Don't let it get to you - you need to get on and enjoy life (as others have said, it is just far too short to spend time and energy worrying about what MAY happen).

That doesn't mean "bury your head in the sand" - a lot of people are paid to worry about your security and do everything possible to prevent this sort of thing happening (as they appear to have done today).

There are lots of really nasty things that could happen to us and our loved ones every day. The best thing we can do is to take all reasonable procautions (including being complaint with these new security measures) and get on with our lives (don't let the terrorists terrorise you or stop you doing things, otherwise you are giving them a partial victory). If you worry about all the nasty things, you will spend your life being very stressed AND they will probably never happen.

Take care and don't worry about things (get busy doing something else).

Boo

SammieG said:
We are all entitled to our opinions here believe it or not. I am also stunned at how rude and inconsiderate some of you are to other Disers. I dont think that it is necessary at all.

If I were not flying within the next few days, you know, I wouldnt be bothered either.. but the fact is, assuming there are flights and we feel safe enough to fly, we WILL be.

Its easy to get on your high horse when you will not be affected by these changes!

I dont care if I dont take anything on for myself (infact that would be great) But I would prefer to be able to take on the odd thing for my son, and I would prefer to have valuables with me for safe keeping as I do not trust that they will be safe via luggage handlers (particularly when they know that cases have valuables in them).

This is a knee jerk reaction and probably WAY over the top. The terrorists are still winning by the chaos that is being caused. I suspect that these restrictions will be lifted or eased slightly over the next few days.

I too flew after 9/11 on about the 16th and I found nothing had changed and that worried me more than anything. I agree that this is a knee jerk reaction but I think it is probably for a very good reason. The likelihood is that at some point in the not too distant future they will start letting us on with handbags. I go on holiday in a few weeks and I agree that I would like to take some items on the plane with me even if its just my ipod and a drink but for now there's no use worrying as things can change quickly. The reason they are being so tight is due to the electrical issue and there could be a chance that they will make it so that no electronics can be taken on board at all because that way it takes away one of the risks. I don't know if this will be the case but it wouldn't surprise me. As it is I think the current delays in most airports are at least 3 hours and hopefully these will decrease over the next few days.

Dicky Knee said:
SammieG,

These reactions are not "knee jerk". The security services will have had processes and procedures in place for many security situations. They will have been planned along time in advance and then invoked when necessary.

I respectfully disagree with you.
Of course there are procedures in place and always have and will be.. but this is a knee jerk reaction.
They had little time to assess and make decisions so have taken the highest level of security that they can whilst still allowing passengers to fly.

We will see anyway.. If the restrictions are lifted in the next day or two, it was obviously knee jerk. If it stays like this then it wasnt.

I just wanted to stop by and send all my prayers and good wishes to our good friends in the UK. My dh was scheduled to fly out of Heathrow this evening (he's been away on business), and he said that although things are chaotic, and people unbelievably but understandably stressed, the good people of the UK have been incredibly kind and helpful to him and his associates. He won't be home as scheduled, but that's just fine with me as long as he's safe. I am so sorry, however, if any of the plans of your and your loved ones are terribly inconvenienced by these potentially horrible, horrible acts of terrorism, and want to express my most heartfelt thanks to the security officials who were responsible for stopping what may have been an unbearably painful tragedy.

Please, dear friends, stay safe and well. God Bless you all. :grouphug:

I think only a 3 hour delay is pretty good considering the disruption that seems to be shown. Safety is most important.
I know its still hard when your there, especially for families with young children! Maybe the flights will provide something for younger children onboard?
Just wanted to wish good luck & a safe journey to everyone travelling over next few days/weeks.
Have a great holiday :)

I know virgin do kids packs which I assume will still be handed out as these are security checked elsewhere so I guess kids will have to put up with old fashion pens and paper (not good for younger ones especially).

At least in the long run we will hopefully be safer and time will tell if they are going to drop these restrictions.

My best friends mum is stuck at Cardiff airport and we haven't been able to get in contact with her all day but their flight is still showing delayed so hopefully it will still go today! They're only going for the weekend and by this rate there will be no point.

luvmydogs said:
I just wanted to stop by and send all my prayers and good wishes to our good friends in the UK. My dh was scheduled to fly out of Heathrow this evening (he's been away on business), and he said that although things are chaotic, and people unbelievably but understandably stressed, the good people of the UK have been incredibly kind and helpful to him and his associates. He won't be home as scheduled, but that's just fine with me as long as he's safe. I am so sorry, however, if any of the plans of your and your loved ones are terribly inconvenienced by these potentially horrible, horrible acts of terrorism, and want to express my most heartfelt thanks to the security officials who were responsible for stopping what may have been an unbearably painful tragedy.

Please, dear friends, stay safe and well. God Bless you all. :grouphug:

Lovely words :goodvibes I hope your husband gets home safely

SammieG said:
I respectfully disagree with you.
Of course there are procedures in place and always have and will be.. but this is a knee jerk reaction.
They had little time to assess and make decisions so have taken the highest level of security that they can whilst still allowing passengers to fly.

We will see anyway.. If the restrictions are lifted in the next day or two, it was obviously knee jerk. If it stays like this then it wasnt.

There are a whole lot of emergency/contingency procedures that are not usually in place, but can be brought into place at a moment's notice if the situation warrants it. These will have been written up and tested years ago (many since 9/11) and will be under very regular review. They have had LOTS of time to plan and prepare for events just like this.

Sometimes authorities HAVE to make swift, strict decisions - it is much better to do this and have a 99.999% chance of averting disaster, then carry on as they were and there being maybe an 80% of a successful terrorist attack today. Terrorists work in groups AND they have back-up plans... locking things down to as low a risk as possible (but whilst still allowing people to fly) is the best way to continue.

It is a bit like when they grounded all of the planes flying over the US on 9/11 - ok, that was a "knee-jerk reaction", but it was the only reasonable one that could be made at the time (clear the skies). The British government COULD have done the same thing today, but no, it had contingency procedures in place to ensure that passengers could carry on flying (albeit at a slight comprimised level of comfort...).

Seems like a good plan to me: others will have to decide whether it would be preferable not to fly at all.

Boo

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter