Updated Canada/US Border Rules Announced 19 July 2021

Haven't checked other cruise lines but Celebrity offers free testing onboard that satisfy entry requirements.
I have been trying to confirm this for Carnival but I dont think Carnival is offering at this time..it would be helpful if they were:(

In Ontario Shoppers has the Rapid Antigen test for $40 that is acceptable to fly to the U.S., and Walgreens has the free Rapid ID Now test for the return. As of today no need for the expensive PCR versions.
I'm not a test expert :0

Does anyone know which of these approved tests to return to Canada (this list is from the Travel.GC.ca website) is a Rapid ID test? Or at least not the one that tickles your eyeballs through your nose?
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

I'm not a test expert :0

Does anyone know which of these approved tests to return to Canada (this list is from the Travel.GC.ca website) is a Rapid ID test? Or at least not the one that tickles your eyeballs through your nose?
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

Does anyone know how long after someone has had Covid that they might still test positive even though they are no longer contagious?

In spite of being extremely cautious, I caught Covid in early April and passed it to my daughter before I was showing any symptoms. We were out of quarantine in 14 days and all symptoms were gone after 5 weeks.

This may sound silly but I'm concerned we might still show positive on tests even though it's been over 3 months since we were contagious.

Government of Canada of website records cases of exposure to positive covid cases on domestic and international flights. OMG funny read. So many positive cases for people who supposedly have negative test 72 hours before getting on the plane. What a joke that is. Crazy

Does anyone know how long after someone has had Covid that they might still test positive even though they are no longer contagious?

In spite of being extremely cautious, I caught Covid in early April and passed it to my daughter before I was showing any symptoms. We were out of quarantine in 14 days and all symptoms were gone after 5 weeks.

This may sound silly but I'm concerned we might still show positive on tests even though it's been over 3 months since we were contagious.
I believe it's about 90 days where you will still test positive. BUT, if you've had COVID 14-180 days ago, you can use your original positive test instead of the pre-arrival testing (from the news release https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...r-citizens-and-permanent-residents-of-th.html)
  • Allow individuals who have recovered from COVID-19, but continue to test positive, to present a positive COVID-19 molecular test result on a specimen taken 14 to 180 days prior to arrival in Canada as part of the pre-arrival test requirements.

I believe it's about 90 days where you will still test positive. BUT, if you've had COVID 14-180 days ago, you can use your original positive test instead of the pre-arrival testing (from the news release https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...r-citizens-and-permanent-residents-of-th.html)
  • Allow individuals who have recovered from COVID-19, but continue to test positive, to present a positive COVID-19 molecular test result on a specimen taken 14 to 180 days prior to arrival in Canada as part of the pre-arrival test requirements.
Thanks so much! It sounds like we will still need to be tested before returning to Canada but at least we won't have to concern ourselves about testing positive and not being allowed to re-enter Canada.

There goes trip #4 since this pandemic started. Sigh...I was really hoping that the US border would open given Trudeau's earlier announcement. Very disappointing!

I guess I'll start planning for March break, but it's difficult to get excited about planning anything anymore!

Last edited:
I might try to hold off another month before giving in and getting flights booked. I really do not want to cancel for the 50th so I guess it might just involve flying down instead of driving.

Hello - I am not saying if we are going or commenting on whether it is safe to go or not - however, can you still get to Orlando (or the US in general) via air travel? Is it only essential travel that is allowed via air? Would we be stopped at the airport and prevented from flying if we were just going down on vacation?

I was told when I contracted it and asked the same question...90- 120+ days. Which is CRAZY!!!! They told me to keep all notifications on my phone about my positive test result - so I could prove it was from a previous infection.
This makes me so mad. After all the mouthing about us having the border closed, we open it to them (and let's face it they pose FAR more risk to us than we do to them)... and they pull this. I don't think Canada/US relations are going to be great after this. My husband said Trudeau should just change it back last minute and cite their raising case load as the reason. 🤣
Does this REALLY surprise you 🥴 They will ALWAYS push for what is in THEIR best interest...even though their numbers are rising in those who don't want to get the vaccine. And if my researching is correct...only 49 % of the US is fully vaccinated. It's sad really

All we can do is thank god that more Canadians have decided to get the vaccine vs not. So hopefully the death toll from the new variants will be show other countries that the vaccine actually works.

This makes me so mad. After all the mouthing about us having the border closed, we open it to them (and let's face it they pose FAR more risk to us than we do to them)... and they pull this. I don't think Canada/US relations are going to be great after this. My husband said Trudeau should just change it back last minute and cite their raising case load as the reason. 🤣

Well you know they need to protect themselves from us, mainly vaccinated, Canadians. And yes I’m being sarcastic.

This doesn’t surprise me. Every decision they make is 100% political and has nothing to do with science.

Hello - I am not saying if we are going or commenting on whether it is safe to go or not - however, can you still get to Orlando (or the US in general) via air travel? Is it only essential travel that is allowed via air? Would we be stopped at the airport and prevented from flying if we were just going down on vacation?

Travel via air has not been restricted to essential travel. People from Canada have been flying down to the US for leisure throughout much of the pandemic. The government has been discouraging it, and there have been a lot of restrictions in place previously to make it undesireable/more difficult, but it hasn't been outright banned.

It's only the land border that has been shut to non-essential crossing into the US (and will continue to remain shut untial at least Aug 21 per today's update from the US).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter