Updated Canada/US Border Rules Announced 19 July 2021

The info probably won't ever get to the government about how many peopleare trying to get in and have tested positive. The airline will just turn them away. I have yet to see any data on people testing positive and trying to board a plane

The number of people testing positive and trying to board a plane is probably very close to zero as it is. Knowing that they won't allow you to board if you have a positive test, how many (if any at all) are actually trying to do this knowing they will be turned away? Same thing as at a land border. How many would actually try to cross if they had a positive test?

The number of people testing positive and trying to board a plane is probably very close to zero as it is. Knowing that they won't allow you to board if you have a positive test, how many (if any at all) are actually trying to do this knowing they will be turned away? Same thing as at a land border. How many would actually try to cross if they had a positive test?
I was only replying to the previous poster who stated they were going to see how many people were trying to enter at test time.

Good grief!! I honestly had no idea you had to pay for them in Canada. Have you always had to pay for them there or is that just recent, or just for certain things like travel?

Public health tests are free. These days that’s for people who have symptoms, have been in contact with positive cases, or have alerts to potential exposure.

Getting an asymptomatic test for elective travel to another country is what isn’t free.

I wouldn’t count on it. I don’t think schools will be open to that. And school boards could always put in their own restrictions as far as travel is concerned.

I think getting rid of the quarantine requirement was more so parents wouldn’t be stuck at home as well. They can bring their kids places with them.
Ya, we’re lining something up in case they can’t go to school/daycare, and crossing our fingers things change.

This isn’t directed at you, but I just don’t see why we would differentiate between international and domestic travel. My kids can get COVID just as easily from traveling to Vancouver, as they could from us traveling to the Bahamas (where we’re planning on going, where they’re testing all employees weekly, regardless of symptoms).Sorry, just a frustrated rant!

More Airport Being Reopened for International Flights

Starting Aug. 9, international flights carrying passengers will once again be allowed to land at the following airports:
  1. Halifax Stanfield International Airport;
  2. Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport;
  3. Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport;
  4. Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport; and
  5. Edmonton International Airport.
I assume this means, for example, I can take a direct flight from Halifax to Orlando now and return.

This is the part I was most excited about, until I read the second part. I'm not sure how exempting them from quarantine requirements is helpful if they still can't go to daycare/school. I'm hopeful that by our trip in September that part will also be dropped.
I hadn't even thought about this until today. I planned our trip for late August so that we would be home a week before school begins but I checked the website today and if they don't change the criteria, she would still not be able to go to school for the first week as we would have been out of the country. I hope they change this too, especially since we're fully vaxxed and if things stay as is, will have had to test negative before returning home.
Other than it just being a pain to have to coordinate getting a test within the proper time frames, what is the issue people object to as far as getting tested? I've been tested every 2 weeks since last april with the PCR (up to your brain swab) and rapid tested 2x a week for work. It's really not that big of a deal.
For us, it's the cost as well as challenge of finding a place to be tested, take some sort of car service there, off Disney property and then hope it's back in time for our flight home. Just adds a lot of extra to the trip.
Good grief!! I honestly had no idea you had to pay for them in Canada. Have you always had to pay for them there or is that just recent, or just for certain things like travel?
I think it may depend on which province you live in. I just looked on the Shoppers Drug Mart website and if I'm reading it correctly it's $40 in AB and ON for a rapid test for travel purposes.

One of the big unknowns still is when the US will open their borders for land crossings and what their requirements may be, if any.

Other than it just being a pain to have to coordinate getting a test within the proper time frames, what is the issue people object to as far as getting tested? I've been tested every 2 weeks since last april with the PCR (up to your brain swab) and rapid tested 2x a week for work. It's really not that big of a deal.

If I was taking an actual trip I would probably not mind as much (besides the cost). But as someone that lives 1 mile from the US border, it feels asinine for me to have to try to arrange for and pay for a test for a 1 hour excursion, when I'm fully vaccinated and will be masked at all times. And unfortunately, orthodontics aren't considered "essential" (if it was, there would be an exemption on the testing).

I hadn't even thought about this until today. I planned our trip for late August so that we would be home a week before school begins but I checked the website today and if they don't change the criteria, she would still not be able to go to school for the first week as we would have been out of the country. I hope they change this too, especially since we're fully vaxxed and if things stay as is, will have had to test negative before returning home.
For us, it's the cost as well as challenge of finding a place to be tested, take some sort of car service there, off Disney property and then hope it's back in time for our flight home. Just adds a lot of extra to the trip.
I think it may depend on which province you live in. I just looked on the Shoppers Drug Mart website and if I'm reading it correctly it's $40 in AB and ON for a rapid test for travel purposes.

One of the big unknowns still is when the US will open their borders for land crossings and what their requirements may be, if any.
Our Shoppers/LifeLabs is $200 locally here in Oakville for the swab test. I found one for $159 at another lab. That's what we're doing for our August WDW trip. On the way back it's much pricier at nearly $300 CAD each. But that's the price of visiting the magic right now I suppose...

In Ontario Shoppers has the Rapid Antigen test for $40 that is acceptable to fly to the U.S., and Walgreens has the free Rapid ID Now test for the return. As of today no need for the expensive PCR versions.

Knew the Rapid Antigen test for $40 was good for flying into the US, but was unaware about this free Rapid ID Now test from Walgreens. Interesting! Anyone (Canadians) can go there and get that test?

In Ontario Shoppers has the Rapid Antigen test for $40 that is acceptable to fly to the U.S., and Walgreens has the free Rapid ID Now test for the return. As of today no need for the expensive PCR versions.

So a Rapid ID Now test is acceptable under the Canadian government rules for return travel to Canada?

If you buy the Shoppers Drug Mart Kit for $40, what do you use to prove that the test was negative? I have rapid test kits here at my work but I don't know what to use to prove it was negative since you just do the test, observe the negative result. There isn't any documentation? Or with the $40 Shoppers test do they do it right there for you and give you something?

I have several US trips planned in September/October and this whole testing thing is really stressing me out. I don't mind to take it or even pay for it, just trying to figure out the timing and where to get it.

Here in Toronto at Shoppers you call ahead, book an appointment, go in, pay the 40 bucks, they do the test and you get results in 15 minutes.

You can also get tested at MCO before the flight home. $175 for the PCR test. The antigen test is only $65 but that's not currently accepted by Canada.

My issue is normally we take a cruise and then fly home directly afterwards, sometimes even the same day getting off the boat. Now I'd have to get off the cruise, go get a test, wait until the results are in, before I can fly home. Is that one day? Two? Are you then stuck trying to rent a car and drive home if one of you tests positive???

My issue is normally we take a cruise and then fly home directly afterwards, sometimes even the same day getting off the boat. Now I'd have to get off the cruise, go get a test, wait until the results are in, before I can fly home. Is that one day? Two? Are you then stuck trying to rent a car and drive home if one of you tests positive???
Haven't checked other cruise lines but Celebrity offers free testing onboard that satisfy entry requirements.

We plan to cruise in August (just posted in another chain) and as of now I think I have 2 options, either do the PCR same day test at MCO before checking into flight coming home, or do PCR test in Nassau port 72 hrs prior to flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter