Updated Canada/US Border Rules Announced 19 July 2021

Can someone please help me understand the difference between 72 hours and 3 days? Does it mean for example if our flight is to land in Canada at 7pm on Friday, I need to be tested sometime between 7pm on the Tuesday and arrival vs. being tested anytime on Tuesday with a landing time anytime on Friday?
It's based on departure time, not landing time from what I can see. 3 days means anytime within the 3 full days prior to departure. 72 hours means within 72 hours of your departure. For instance, if we fly out at 3:00pm Friday to go to the US, we can test anytime Tuesday onwards. To come to Canada it would be at or after 3:00pm Tuesday onwards.

Can someone please help me understand the difference between 72 hours and 3 days? Does it mean for example if our flight is to land in Canada at 7pm on Friday, I need to be tested sometime between 7pm on the Tuesday and arrival vs. being tested anytime on Tuesday with a landing time anytime on Friday?
3 Days -- this if for the test required to fly to the US. If your flight leaves on Friday to the US you can test anytime starting on the Tuesday (or Wed/Thurs); they just simply count the days.
72hours -- this is the requirement for flying back to Canada, and trust me, it's to the MINUTE that they look for (I have witnessed numerous individuals be denied boarding because they were outside their time; even 14mins outside the 72hrs). And it's based not on your landing time but your departure time of the actual flight to Canada. So if you are connecting, that last flight heading to Canada is what you have to time for (I factor in timezone differences when I'm connecting to make sure I'll fully covered). So if your flight to Canada leaves at 5pm on Friday, you can test anywhere from 5pm Tuesday forward (anytime Wed/Thurs since now for sure you are less than 72hrs).

It's based on departure time, not landing time from what I can see. 3 days means anytime within the 3 full days prior to departure. 72 hours means within 72 hours of your departure. For instance, if we fly out at 3:00pm Friday to go to the US, we can test anytime Tuesday onwards. To come to Canada it would be at or after 3:00pm Tuesday onwards.
3 Days -- this if for the test required to fly to the US. If your flight leaves on Friday to the US you can test anytime starting on the Tuesday (or Wed/Thurs); they just simply count the days.
72hours -- this is the requirement for flying back to Canada, and trust me, it's to the MINUTE that they look for (I have witnessed numerous individuals be denied boarding because they were outside their time; even 14mins outside the 72hrs). And it's based not on your landing time but your departure time of the actual flight to Canada. So if you are connecting, that last flight heading to Canada is what you have to time for (I factor in timezone differences when I'm connecting to make sure I'll fully covered). So if your flight to Canada leaves at 5pm on Friday, you can test anywhere from 5pm Tuesday forward (anytime Wed/Thurs since now for sure you are less than 72hrs).
Thanks so much! This information is valuable and very helpful! Appreciate you explaining the difference.

We faced something similar recently when I took my daughter for her 2nd vaccination. Her first vaccine was at 7:15pm and I booked her second one 28 days later but at 5:00pm. We were stopped twice and twice they needed to seek approval for her to get her vaccine because we were 2 hours shy of the 28 day mark. Thankfully they allowed it but I have shared this information with others who book exactly 28 days apart.

Not so much about the rules for crossing the border but relevant I think worth sharing…

CBSA agents have given their union a strike mandate. They are still at the bargaining table as of right now. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

This will affect international arriving travelers as well as any shipments of goods arriving from outside Canada.

I had an email yesterday from UPS, with a heads up… also -
Pearson Airport (YYZ) had tweeted this past weekend to allow 3 hours upon flying in from international locations from your plane landing to exiting the building

edit…. Here’s the tweet link.

Last edited:

Not so much about the rules for crossing the border but relevant I think worth sharing…

CBSA agents have given their union a strike mandate. They are still at the bargaining table as of right now. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

This will affect international arriving travelers as well as any shipments of goods arriving from outside Canada.

I had an email yesterday from UPS, with a heads up… also -
Pearson Airport (YYZ) had tweeted this past weekend to allow 3 hours upon flying in from international locations from your plane landing to exiting the building
Awesome. Our connection at Pearson is 2hours and 35 minutes on August 21st when flying in from Punta Cana on the way home to Vancouver. Goodie. Guess we should be prepared to miss our connecting flight and get rebooked ....and spend a night at the airport hotel. Alllll part of the fun of traveling right now :rolleyes:

It doesn’t have to be exactly 72 hrs but it can’t be over 72 hrs. cause what if your flight is delayed? I’m doing the rapid ID test at Walgreens near WDW. Going 48 hrs ahead.

Reading all these things you have to do with in regards to travel it's just not worth it. I'm hoping by February things will be better but you couldn't pay me to travel. All these places will still be there next year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter