Universal/Islands of Adventure in the rain

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Coming to Universal this week and the weather forecast.... not so good.

Any tips for the parks in the rain? I mean, a day there in the rain is better than being somewhere else, right?

Any tips for the parks in the rain? I mean, a day there in the rain is better than being somewhere else, right?
During the late spring/summer months, it’s common to encounter a bout of rain every day in Florida although usually short-lived. Dry-wick clothes are helpful along with an extra pair of shoes. Many people carry around or pack in their bag a little umbrella and/or poncho.

Studios is typically the better park to be in during long-lasting rain because they have indoor shows and more indoor rides. You’re right though, a day at UO in the rain is better than a day at work/elsewhere. 😃

I haven’t watched this one yet but will soon. This may give you more ideas… from The Pugh Two who are always informative.

If it’s dry in the morning then start at IOA and bang out most of the rides there before going over to Universal if you have park to park tickets. Most of the rides at IOA are outside and close if there’s lightning in the area whereas at Universal the majority of the stuff is indoors.

I’d suggest a good lightweight raincoat and bring a change of socks because walking around the parks with wet feet is kinda miserable.

There’s stuff like the Bourne Show & The Horror Make-Up show at Universal too that can be good for dodging the rain or maybe bunker down in Finnegan’s with a drink at the bar for a bit.

We plan for rain daily, and rejoice if it never comes. Clouds are very welcome though on hot days. Not always, but often, you'll get afternoon/evening showers, and since IoA has mostly outdoor attractions that will shut down if lightning is in the area, do IoA as much as possible in the good weather. Bring ponchos and/or rain jackets. Shoes that either can get soaked, or extra pairs of shoes to switch out the next day.
We also bring plastic bags, or something to hold phones/keep them dry. And either a water proof backpack, or just prepare for it to get wet.
It's difficult to do stuff like wand spells, or lots of picture taking in the rain, so try and get those done when it's clear.
Knockturn alley is a good hideout spot.
our forecast currently has 50-60%rain, so we'll be prepping for/expecting it. That forecast will change FREQUENTLY before and even during the day, so keep monitoring.
If they're open, ride the water rides like Ripsaw falls, and Buto. You're already wet, so just get wetter.
have a great time!!!

Last edited:

Ehh it usually isn't an all day soaker, out of the 10 times or so that we have been in the last 10 years, we've only had terrible ongoing rains in May 2009, it was fabulous though lol the parks cleared out and we rode lots. We put on ponchos and went with it! The last 2 Junes, we have had 1 day/evening that was a not fun with actual thunderstorms, but the rest were just showers that passed. Pack smart and be ready to have fun! :D

We like to wear quick-dry shorts/skorts and shoes that can get wet and dry quick like Keens or Crocs, etc.

We brought very light packable rain jackets the last time we went but ended up buying the thicker longer ponchos they sell there because it was hurricane rain and those really keep you driest below the waist. They also fit better over waist packs, small backpacks, etc. The only issue with them is if it's cooler out and you wear long sleeves because the poncho sleeves are not very long so your sleeves get wet.

And they make you remove them for the indoor rides so you will have to carry them or stash them somewhere while they are wet.

Last edited:
If they're open, ride the water rides like Ripsaw falls, and Bluto. You're already wet, so just get wetter.
This is the proper plan if you get soaked accidentally in IoA. IE, being on Hagrids when it starts to hardcore downpour. I imagine it would work after a Hulk-soaking too but I haven't had that misfortune yet.

The accu weather app. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best one I’ve found. It tells you when the rain will start, end and how heavy. Universal has more indoor stuff than islands. I use a light north face rain coat instead of a poncho. I also bring a small umbrella, to try to help my shoes not to get soaked. Watch out for puddles. The rain is usually not as bad or long lasting as the forecast. I was just there 5/21-5/24 and experienced my fair share of rain. I still had a great time and did everything I wanted to do. Have fun!!- I forgot to add that I will reuse a plastic shopping bag to put my backpack in to protect it from the rain.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter