• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Universal first-timer 3D glasses questions...

CindyPA

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

I have been reading the forums here obsessively planning for our trip in August. I have done a search, but still have questions regarding the 3D rides.

Do all of the 3D/simulation rides use glasses?

Are they all one size or do they have different sizes for adults/children?

The reason I ask is that this was a bit of an issue when we went to Disney. My then 4 year old had a hard time keeping the glasses on for TSM and the other couple of attractions that used them. I ended up holding hers on for her which made my ride experience not as fun. Lol. She is also a child on the spectrum which presents a whole other host of issues. So I am trying to think ahead and be prepared for what to expect. Any of you ASD caregivers know exactly what I am going through.

DD will be eight for this trip and more likely able to hold them on herself, and she loves big rides and is a bit of a sensory seeker, so I am thinking this will mostly be a positive experience for her.

Here's hoping and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Yes all the 3D rides use glasses and yes all these glasses are just one standard size, exactly the same as TSM.

Yes all the 3D rides use glasses and yes all these glasses are just one standard size, exactly the same as TSM.

Thank you!

Now I am wondering how they stay on on the rides like Mummy, FJ and Gringotts as they are fast and quick turning according to what I have read.

Thank you!

Now I am wondering how they stay on on the rides like Mummy, FJ and Gringotts as they are fast and quick turning according to what I have read.

I didnt even think about that when I was in Universal, they just stay on. I went on Transformers, The Mummy, Forbidden Journey, The Simpsons, all 3D with glasses and they stayed on

I'm not sure what TSM is (a Disney thing?), but I do know that some of the glasses at Universal have soft plastic arms that position in very far, and can flex out comfortably for adults.

TSM is Toy Story Midway Mania at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

OP, the 3d glasses on rides at Universal are heavier and "clunkier" than the lightweight ones on TSMM. They seem to stay on just fine, though.

3d glasses needed for Minion Mayhem, Fallon, Gringott's, Shrek, Transformers, and Terminator at US. Needed for Spiderman and Kong at IoA.

They are all the same size. My petite middle child has never had any issues with them staying on. However, she and I both find they hurt our nose a little.

Thank you all for the info! I feel good about knowing what to expect. We reallly are very excited to enjoy Universal for the first time. 32 days away now!

Just as a different perspective, I hated the glasses at Universal. They hurt my nose and didn't fit me comfortably. They are much heavier and clunkier than the glasses at Disney as one PP mentioned. I don't know if there would be a way to cushion the nose part with something if that might be a problem for your child. I will also say that my 6 year old who hates 3D rides, just rode most of them without the glasses.

You might also want to look at getting a set of croakies and use them to help keep the glasses on. They actually make kid's versions: https://croakies.com/product/terra-system-adjustable-kids/
I'm sure you'll have time in line after getting the glasses to attach the straps and adjust them to a good fit. you can then remove them after you're done and use them on the next ride.

Isn't the passive 3d technology the same as movie theaters and many 3d tv's?
If that's true could you buy your own children's glasses for the rides? Such as these from Amazon?

After wearing the nose-hurting glasses enough, I looked into buying a more comfortable pair to bring with me. It seems that Spidey, Transformers, Gringotts, Mnions (and any others with those same glasses) use Dolby 3D technology. Dolby 3D is based off of unique color filters for each eye instead of polarization like RealD 3D found in many commercial theaters. Oh, they also cost quite a bit more than the polarized type of 3d glasses.

Wikipedia Dolby 3D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter