Universal and Disabilities

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
We are traveling with another family that has a disabled child. They are familiar with using the disability service at Disney but they don’t have a clue about Universal. There will be 4 adults and 5 kids.

How do lines work with a disabled child that can’t wait in a line for extended periods of time? Should we still look into getting express pass? If it makes a difference, we will be going during a very busy spring break.

Is there somewhere that they can get more information?

Besides the other link that was already posted, Universal Orlando has a Rider’s Guide for Guests with Disabilities. It has information about their Attraction Assistance Pass, which is requested and works very similar to Disney’s DAS.
https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/universal-orlando-riders-guide.pdf
One big difference between WDW and Universal is that Universal has a lot more intense attractions/thrill rides. So, reading the descriptions is pretty important.

I'm just back from Universal yesterday. I used a scooter to get around the parks but had to transfer to a manual wheelchair for all of the ride queues for the rides that I was able to ride. I did stop at guest services on our first day so I knew how the process would work. My son and I were staying onsite at one of the premier hotels so we had the Express pass, and I would recommend it if you are coming during one of the busier weeks. There was one ride that we arrived at they said there would be a wheelchair at the express scan station, but there wasn't. That was the only hiccup. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I have done Universal with my son who requires a DAS pass at Disney. While Universal's program basically worked the same way as Disney, I found that we did not need it with the express pass as that allowed you to skip the lines so the disability pass was not needed. If you do not get the Express Pass then I would go to guest services and request their assistance. It is helpful just as Disney's is if you do not spend the money for the Express Pass.

In my experience, I on Assistance Pass is extremely difficult. If you go to Guest Services and try to get one, I (and I heard others) say the Team Member will either suggest getting the Express Pass or a wheelchair. I was able to get one that since I was at the parks solo, I asked who was going to push me in the wheelchair. If you have one, bring a wheelchair. You can also rent one at the parks and at local scooter rental services. There is a lot of walking at Universal and some of the queues are very long, so getting some equipment might be very helpful.

In my experience, I on Assistance Pass is extremely difficult. If you go to Guest Services and try to get one, I (and I heard others) say the Team Member will either suggest getting the Express Pass or a wheelchair. I was able to get one that since I was at the parks solo, I asked who was going to push me in the wheelchair. If you have one, bring a wheelchair. You can also rent one at the parks and at local scooter rental services. There is a lot of walking at Universal and some of the queues are very long, so getting some equipment might be very helpful.
I need to point out that it is not the responsibility of the park to push you around. If your need is mobility related it is totally appropriate for them to turn you down for a disability pass. You are asking for free access to a line that people pay hundreds of dollars to access. The team member should have denied the pass for mobility and pointed out your responsibility to either bring someone to push you around or rent a scooter

I need to point out that it is not the responsibility of the park to push you around. If your need is mobility related it is totally appropriate for them to turn you down for a disability pass. You are asking for free access to a line that people pay hundreds of dollars to access. The team member should have denied the pass for mobility and pointed out your responsibility to either bring someone to push you around or rent a scooter
Most of the queues require transfer from an ecv to a complimentary wheel chair prior to entering a long queue. Completely different at WDW where most queues allow ecvs.

I don't know what a accommodations are made for a solo traveller. Push yourself?
Renting an ecv won't solve the issue.

This seems so odd to me - why did the TM not suggest an ECV for the very same reason? No need for anyone to push, and although they are not allowed in the queues, it seems that's not a problem for you as your pass did not shorten the distance.

This seems so odd to me - why did the TM not suggest an ECV for the very same reason? No need for anyone to push, and although they are not allowed in the queues, it seems that's not a problem for you as your pass did not shorten the distance.
Exactly my point. They should have directed the guest to rent a scooter. The pass won't make the line distance shorter. They still have to make their way thru the sometimes long express line

Most of the queues require transfer from an ecv to a complimentary wheel chair prior to entering a long queue. Completely different at WDW where most queues allow ecvs.

I don't know what a accommodations are made for a solo traveller. Push yourself?
Renting an ecv won't solve the issue.
Not true anymore. The new rides mostly have room for an ecv to go thru. You need to transfer to the ride vehicle, but I'm still confused how the OP to thinks the pass is the answer.

Not true anymore. The new rides mostly have room for an ecv to go thru. You need to transfer to the ride vehicle, but I'm still confused how the OP to thinks the pass is the answer.
Hagrids is one of the newest rides. You have to park your ecv and use a courtesy wheelchair.

St
Hagrids is one of the newest rides. You have to park your ecv and use a courtesy wheelchair.
Still want to know what the pass would do in this case? Sure, free entry into a paid express line, but how does that change the need for a wheelchair to be pushed? There are not workers in the line pushing people in wheelchairs.
I do know there is a separate loading station for the castle ride. I was on a ride vehicle that was pulled out to that loading platform. Brilliant design. Instead of the moving platform the ride vehicle pulls into the special loading station.

St

Still want to know what the pass would do in this case? Sure, free entry into a paid express line, but how does that change the need for a wheelchair to be pushed? There are not workers in the line pushing people in wheelchairs.
I do know there is a separate loading station for the castle ride. I was on a ride vehicle that was pulled out to that loading platform. Brilliant design. Instead of the moving platform the ride vehicle pulls into the special loading station.
I don't think a pass would do anything at Hagrids. I was surprised a new attraction didn't have a queue which could accommodate ECV.

We had the pass for our middle child two weeks ago at Universal. At Hagrid’s, it allowed us to enter the queue pretty close to the loading area. We were also able to use it any time of the day, even when Hagrid’s was virtual and we did not have a virtual pass. We just walked up to the TMs near the virtual time and they gave us a return time for about 30 minutes later. We didn’t use it anywhere else, as we had Express.

We had the pass for our middle child two weeks ago at Universal. At Hagrid’s, it allowed us to enter the queue pretty close to the loading area. We were also able to use it any time of the day, even when Hagrid’s was virtual and we did not have a virtual pass. We just walked up to the TMs near the virtual time and they gave us a return time for about 30 minutes later. We didn’t use it anywhere else, as we had Express.
Does hagrid currently have express access?

because most lines you can not use an ECV you still need a pusher so how is he as a solo to get thru the line in a chair?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter