Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining with pics! MY Number 2! 7/21!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic start!:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear more - we are going to some of the same places in August!:banana:

Amazing food reviews, photos AND film quotes? Bring it on!:cool1:

Great start and looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2 We are staying at the Poly in September and from the looks of things I might have to squeeze a few more Kona breakfasts into our trip:woohoo:

Uh oh! Now you have created a delimma for me.... Tonga toast or the Big Kahuna! I may have to book 2 breakfasts there.

Can't wait for more!

Excellent start! Dh and I love Kona and order exactly what you guys did!

Keep it up, you have me hooked!

Signing on!

Hello TigerKat!! :)

Anyone who quotes Chris Farley is a dining review I am going to follow!!!

Great start so far!!

I'm glad you share a love for the Farley as well! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about your Signature Dining experiences!

Oh man, the Signature restaurants were out of this world good! You'll love it!

I'm subbing! Trying to decide between DDxP and just using our TIW card when DH & I go in September- thanks for posting current prices, I really appreciate it!:thumbsup2

Yeah no problem! Just trying to give folks an idea of what they'd be spending...good thing i'm anal-retentive and kept all my receipts! :rotfl:

Excited for more :upsidedow

Hiya Allie! :wave2:

I love Kona, but never been there for breakfast. My DH isn't a big breakfast fan so its hard to convince to take precious park time for that.

My DH is honestly the same way! But our next trip he promises we'll do Kona again for breakfast, so that means A LOT coming from him!

Great start! I'm all in.

Welcome Rachael!

Can't wait to hear more!:cheer2:

Oh, you're gonna get more right now! :)

Love it!
I'm in

Yippee! So glad you like it! :worship:

We are also hitting some of these same places in March. Cant wait for your reviews.

You're really not gonna be disappointed with these restaurants! They were all so amazing!

Oh, I'm in too!!

Ooo another Crazy! Welcome!

Fantastic start!:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear more - we are going to some of the same places in August!:banana:

Amazing food reviews, photos AND film quotes? Bring it on!:cool1:

Uggh, I wish I could be planning a trip right now..lucky!

Great start and looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2 We are staying at the Poly in September and from the looks of things I might have to squeeze a few more Kona breakfasts into our trip:woohoo:

Oh man, if i were you I would take full advantage of having Kona and Ohana! One day...

Uh oh! Now you have created a delimma for me.... Tonga toast or the Big Kahuna! I may have to book 2 breakfasts there.

Can't wait for more!

I'm not here to start problems, only to alleviate..Lol! :rotfl2:

We love Kona for breakfast. Can't wait to hear more :)

Seriously isn't Kona awesome??!

Ya so I'm totally subbing..loving the side humor..you go girl!:cool1:

Hi Happy! Glad you appreciate my humor!

Excellent start! Dh and I love Kona and order exactly what you guys did!

Keep it up, you have me hooked!

I don't think anyone can go wrong with these two dishes! So delish!

I'm in! Bring on the quotes....oh, and the food reviews!!

Haha! Hello CapnJacksGirl...so looks like I'll be challenging you to a dual for the love of Captain Jack, eh?? lol!

Alright folks! Thanks for saying hi! And if there are any lurkers...come out and play! :)

Here comes Artist Point!

Yum, Tonga Toast. Its certainly worthy of having its very own spot on that food pyramid.

I can't wait to read more of your reviews. You two have picked most of my favorites.

Artist Point

To end our first day of our glorious vacation, we decided to make ADR’s at Artist Point. I’ve haven’t heard much about this place on the DIS, so we kind of went into this blindly. My DH and I have spent MONTHS(literally...we had a year and a half to plan..pure TORTURE!) pouring over all the menus at allears.net to get an idea of what we would like to have once we arrived.

So we get there…it was our first time ever walking into the Wilderness Lodge…beautiful.

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

It reminded me of Disney’s Grand Californian, with the large, open lobby. We walked around the lobby a bit, in awe of how amazing the architect of this building was, before walking over to Artist Point.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Our ADR was for 5:30 and the restaurant doesn’t open until 5:30 so it was a nice feeling to have the entire restaurant to ourselves for a bit (and I do mean a BIT…this place PACKED out about 30 minutes after being there!)

The restaurant itself was very lovely and true to the Wilderness theme..

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

So we got seated, and were handed our menus to look over. An impressive wine list was given to us, so I chose a nice Chardonnay (8.00) and DH went with a King Estate Pinot Noir (13.00). Alas, no pics of the wine..you know what wine looks right? And the glass is either half empty or half full, your preference...I'm a half full kinda gal, just to let you know a bit more about me..

The Appetizers:

Smoky Portobello soup with roasted chitakes and chive oil ~ 9.00

IMG_0435.jpg

Let me just say this…if you decide come here, and you will after reading my review by the way ;), you must get, no no, you WILL get the soup! OUTSTANDING! Seriously there is no word to describe it..so I’m forced to make one up, and I’m going to do so right now, Scrumptralascent! (Will Ferrell doing his impression of Inside the Actors Studio with James Lipton, SNL =) ). I could have had this as an entrée and dessert if I had to. It’s so creamy and satisfying! We raved so much about it in fact, the waiter came back with a printed copy of the recipe! YAY! I can try to make this at home now! DH loved his app by the way, but wished he would have gotten the soup. Haha, No soup for you! (soup nazi, seinfeld)

DH ordered the Venison Pot Stickers with tamarind ponzu ~ 11.00

IMG_0436.jpg

The Entrees:

For my entrée, I decided to go with the waiters recommendation, and ordered their signature plate..

Cedar Plank Roasted King Salmon with sourdough bread dumpling, broccolini, and mulled red wine brown butter ~ 34.00

IMG_0437.jpg

Delicious! The salmon was cooked so lovely and the sides were a perfect match to bring out all the flavors of the salmon! And they really do bring it to you on a plank! Whoda thunk it?

DH ordered the Grilled Buffalo Striploin with goat cheese polenta, ancho-cherry compote, baby golden beets, asparagus and dark chocolate red wine reduction ~ 45.00

IMG_0439.jpg

We’ve never tried buffalo and they do recommend it cooked as medium, since this type of meat tends to dry out more. Very good! Oh, I HATE polenta! This polenta rocked the house! And if you’re worried about the reduction being too much, it really isn’t..it’s wonderful!

The Desserts :

I’ve noticed a trend from reading reviews about the Deluxe Dining Plan, that people often share a dessert between two people or just skip it completely. I will tell you right now, that this whole trip, my DH and I only shared one dessert, and that was because I was sickeningly full. Other than that, I always order a dessert every single time, and sometimes when my DH doesn’t want one, I make him order my second favorite off the menu! So that’s TWO desserts for me!!! :tongue: :hyper: Oh one more thing before I go onto my dessert review: there’s not many options to choose from for desserts at Artist Point, but that only means that they make these desserts spectacularly! So keep that in mind! :thumbsup2

Double Chocolate Cheesecake with raspberry coulis, grand marnier mousse, and candied oranges ~ 10.00

IMG_0440.jpg

I already knew I was going to love this because it had the word “Chocolate” in it… now add the word “Double” and I’m sold! Lol! Yummola! :lovestruc

Artist Point Cobbler with seasonal berries and black raspberry ice cream ~ 10.00

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

(wasn't sure which pic would come out better, so here's both!)

DH is a huge fan of fruity desserts and loves when I make my peach-blueberry cobbler at home, so I knew he was going to order this. This was packed out with berries! No skimpage here!

For those using the Deluxe Dining Plan, they take 2 credits per person because it’s a Signature restaurant, so it’s 4 credits total.

For those paying OOP, here was our total with 2 glasses of wine, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, and tax: $149.10

Now I think I know why not many people on the DIS talk about Artist Point…they want to keep this place a secret and SHAME ON THEM! This place was phenomenal! DH and I have already decided that we will either start or finish our vacation with Artist Point from now on just because of how splendid our meal and the service was! Hmm…maybe I shouldn’t have said anything about AP…should I also have followed in the footsteps of DIS members and taken the vow of silence for AP? No, it’s inevitable. You were bound to find out about this magnificent place. But keep it to yourself, yes? :ssst: Leshaface out!

Smoky Portobello Mushroom Soup

Yield: 64 ounces; 8 servings

IMG_0435.jpg

6 each medium - portobello mushrooms
3 each medium - smoked portobello mushrooms (see instructions)
1/2 cup - sweet onions
1/2 cup - chardonnay
1 1/4 qts - heavy cream
24 Oz - chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbsp - chopped garlic
1 1/4 cup -white roux (equal parts butter and flour; cook slowly over low heat)
To Taste - salt and pepper
Croutons (see recipe)
Chive oil (see recipe)
Roasted shiitake mushrooms (see recipe)
Sour cream
Chives, cut for garnish

Procedure
1. Clean the portobellos by wiping them with a damp towel (do not wash!) Remove the mushroom gills (the slats on the undeside of the caps)
2. Saute the onions lightly (to sweat)
3. Add the unsmoked mushrooms to the onions
4. Add the garlic when the mushrooms are almost cooked
5. Add the smoked mushrooms
6. Add the chardonnay and reduce by half
7. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer
8. Place in a blender or food processor in batches
9. Add the heavy cream slowly and continue to blend
10. Season to taste
11. Place the mixture back into the pot
12. Add the roux and let simmer for 20 minutes
13. Serve hot and garnish with croutons and roasted shiitake mushrooms, a dollop of sour cream, drizzle with chive oil, and cut chives.

Smoking Portobello Mushrooms
- In a home smoker, place thick slices of portobello mushrooms on the rack and cold smoke for one hour
- We use oak chips for our smoker

Croutons
1. Preheat the over to 325-350 F
2. Cut 6 slices of your favorite bread into 3/4" squares
3. Toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup melted butter
4. Place on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste
5. Bake at 325-350 F until brown

Chive Oil
1. Place 1 cup of light olive oil in a blender and add to that 1 cup of chives
2. Blend for 30 seconds and let rest for 1 hour
3. Strain through a fine sieve

Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms
1. Thinly slice 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms
2. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a little salt and pepper
3. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 375 F until crispy and golden brown
4. Cool and set aside

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!!!

Our last trip to WDW we at the Artist Point for the first time. My DH and I loved it and we will definitely dine there again. I had the Salmon too and it was wonderful.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!!!

Our last trip to WDW we at the Artist Point for the first time. My DH and I loved it and we will definitely dine there again. I had the Salmon too and it was wonderful.

Awesome place right??? And you know, I hardly ever get salmon when I eat at restaurants (unless it's raw at a sushi place), but the waiter said it was fantastic and it really was! I'd totally get it again!

Thanks so much for the recipe. I will have to make this, look delicious!!
You are my kind of foodie. Cannot wait to read the rest.
Thanks so much!
Staci

Awesome place right??? And you know, I hardly ever get salmon when I eat at restaurants (unless it's raw at a sushi place), but the waiter said it was fantastic and it really was! I'd totally get it again!

We had a great meal there and will definitely go back. The server recommended it to me but I had already planned on ordering it. I usually check out the menus on allears before we leave for WDW. My DH had the buffalo and he really liked it!!!

Have you tried Flying Fish? It's one of our favorite 2TS locations. We try to eat there every trip.

AP is the only signature restaurant we haven't been to because they have such a limited menu, may have to re-think that!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter