Type 2 Diabetes and DAS

Please note that Disney has removed many, many benches, reducing the number of places to sit. Also note that there are few places with places to just sit indoors, especially on busy days, one may not be permitted to sit in counter service dining areas without food.

If they are heat sensitive then a DAS won’t help them much. Unless they are happy standing in stores for hours, there aren’t going to find many places to sit where it is cool. They are going to be sitting outside on the ground where it is hot.

If they are heat sensitive then a DAS won’t help them much. Unless they are happy standing in stores for hours, there aren’t going to find many places to sit where it is cool. They are going to be sitting outside on the ground where it is hot.
Disney has several air conditioned buildings where guests can sit and snooze.

Enter Liberty Square from the hub, spoke is around 10 o'clock. On the right, past sleepy hollow refreshments

Another location is in DHS just before the main entrance to SWGE, right by Mama Melrose.

Face the American Garden Theater IN EPCOT. Turnaround and enter the building. You might get to hear some live music while waiting to enter the snooze theater
There are a handful of other snooze locations

Last edited:
I think that your relative might want to consider giving Disneyland a try. It has almost no humidity compared to Orlando. Avoid mid-June through late September in order to avoid the hottest days. The rest of the year is pretty great weather-wise. Get a 4 or 5 day park hopper ticket.

If this person is an elder, such an explanation may well insult both their intelligence and dignity.

We (I'm one by age, not mindset 😉) know that an ECV is helpful, a tool to enable and improve.

Even those who wear glasses or hearing aids may resist an ECV because those practically scream, "I'm too decrepit to walk anymore." People of all ages may use eyeglasses or a hearing aid--both far more common and less conspicuous than an ECV.

It's difficult to impossible for younger still-vigorous adults to understand how difficult admitting we need these very useful tools can be. Foremost is having to admit to ourselves we're not in as good shape as we used to be.

A better approach might be, "Can we talk about this more? We'd really love to have you go with us. I'd like to know how you feel about using an ECV and will listen carefully." Then, do that.

First of all, the intent was never to offend anyone, and I feel certain that you - with the wisdom of your years - would know that.

Many, if not most, of the people who *rent* mobility devices to use at WDW never have to use one in their daily lives at home. They have, by design, knowingly or unknowingly, created routines, habits and preferences that allow them to move through their days at home without need of an assistive device.

When they arrive at WDW, they are suddenly confronted with a habitat where they are expected to walk (on average) between 3 & 10 miles *per day* . It's often impossible for them to do one day, let alone a week or more.

*Those* people are the one who resist the use of a "scooter". They believe if they don't need one at home, then why should they use one now that we are at Disney World? What they don't realize is that creeping around, bench to curb to planter to bench all day ruins not just their vacation, but everyone who travels with them, not to mention it often requires a vacation to recuperate from their vacation when they get home!

They are often in an emotional state; they may not be rational. Even just talking about it while planning their WDW vacation may stress some of these folks out. I know that the first time *I* had to use an ECV I was not at all thinking straight. I was working under the delusion that I was fine, and I just needed to "sit for just a minute" before struggling on to find another place to "sit for just a minute" more. At the time I wasn't even 50 years old. I also had not yet been (officially) diagnosed with any of the conditions and diseases that I was clearly suffering from at the time. I considered myself to be "normal".

As I have stated here before, I ugly cried the first time I had to break down and rent an ECV while in the Parks. Well before the end of that first day I realized that my pride, and my fears had prevented me from using a *tool* that would not only make my vacation better, but that of my family as well. The next morning, I saw clearly that my use of the scooter was better for everyone; my family no longer had to wait for me as I was now able to keep up easily with them. We got twice as much done in half the time, and at the end of the day I was the one who was still raring to go, ready to grab a ride to Disney Springs for adult beverages.

In that moment, when I was sitting there in Epcot, crying my eyes out over the thought that *I* would have to use a horrible old granny scooter, one of my family members handed me a tissue, and told me "It's just a tool, to get a job done. No different than wearing your prescription glasses to see better, or Gpop's (grandpa's) hearing aids to hear better".

That explanation resonated with me in the moment. Since then, I have used that explanation to help others overcome their discomfort with the idea.

So, again - I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, least of all you. If that concept does not reflect your idea of the best way to help someone overcome that fear, that reluctance to use a device to improve their situation, that's fine.

I don't want anyone to *have* to use a mobility device at WDW, but there are many who clearly benefit from it. That particular explanation has helped a lot of folks have a better trip, and accept using an ECV without denting their pride.

I've had to avoid sun (skin cancer diagnosis) and found the queues to be fine - lots of shade screens and umbrellas, big fans blowing air around, etc. Bring a sun umbrella and a misting bottle for those times when there is no shade (like waiting for a bus, or waiting to get into the parks, etc).

Might I suggest another solution for heat sensitivity? Buy the hard ticket party event at night. Whatever they are calling it then. It lets you get in at something like 6 or 7 and then you stay through the night and get to ride what you want. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Disney launch a villain party or anniversary party or Give Minnie Money party or whatever to charge more. If you're buying cash tickets anyway, it's not much difference for a far superior experience.

OR, stay in a deluxe that qualifies for the extended night hours. I planned my last trip just to do those hours. I think you could cover a good amount of the parks just with those. Even after marathon weekend, they were amazing.

@RoseGold makes great points - I also recommend if you have the $$$$ ($$) to take advantage of any after hours parties in the evening with reduced attendance. Dessert parties also can give you a place to sit and eat some dessert (and perhaps they will provide low sugar/carb items if needed) and a viewing area for fireworks.

Also an option if you need to take a mid-day break is go to one of the deluxe resorts nearby and relax in the lobby or some tucked away area. I also recommend if you have the money - to do a table service meal and make it the big meal of the day. That's a good way to rest in the a/c and have a reserved spot waiting for you.

I had less trouble - and I mean zero trouble - finding a seat at QS places for my early December trip. The QS places were empty -but I also tended to eat at off times (like 3pm) so that helps as well for finding a place to sit inside.

I think there's a great argument for staying at Swan or Dolphin if you get to do even just one of the extended night hours.

Might I suggest another solution for heat sensitivity? Buy the hard ticket party event at night. Whatever they are calling it then. It lets you get in at something like 6 or 7 and then you stay through the night and get to ride what you want. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Disney launch a villain party or anniversary party or Give Minnie Money party or whatever to charge more. If you're buying cash tickets anyway, it's not much difference for a far superior experience.

OR, stay in a deluxe that qualifies for the extended night hours. I planned my last trip just to do those hours. I think you could cover a good amount of the parks just with those. Even after marathon weekend, they were amazing.
@RoseGold makes great points - I also recommend if you have the $$$$ ($$) to take advantage of any after hours parties in the evening with reduced attendance. Dessert parties also can give you a place to sit and eat some dessert (and perhaps they will provide low sugar/carb items if needed) and a viewing area for fireworks.

Also an option if you need to take a mid-day break is go to one of the deluxe resorts nearby and relax in the lobby or some tucked away area. I also recommend if you have the money - to do a table service meal and make it the big meal of the day. That's a good way to rest in the a/c and have a reserved spot waiting for you.

I had less trouble - and I mean zero trouble - finding a seat at QS places for my early December trip. The QS places were empty -but I also tended to eat at off times (like 3pm) so that helps as well for finding a place to sit inside.

Now, y'all know me; I am queen of the Mole People, and with my sun sensitivity I am *always* one for an evening/after-hours event/party, but since COVID...

... they (currently) aren't really year round/non-stop are they?

Are all the dessert parties back? I was under the impression that those were still somewhat "seasonal" and not at all Parks yet. I'm pretty sure that HS didn't even have "Jingle Bells Jingle BAM" this past holiday season, and the Launch Bay dessert parties have not yet come back either.

For me, as a sun sensitive person (who takes medications that make me even more sun sensitive) the best time of year to go is in early January - the days are short, yes, but that's also when you have the least heat, and the least amount of UV exposure. It's true that the Parks tend to close earlier, but Disney Springs is still open for meals, entertainment and adult beverages if one wishes... (and this one does LOL)

I know that not everyone has the luxury of traveling in the off-season and for many folks it is necessary to take vacation in the hotter summer months. So, if summertime is when the trip must happen, then strategies like bringing your own shade (parasol or umbrella), a large brimmed hat, UV resistant clothing, sunBLOCK (not sunscreen) applied regularly and staying hydrated (remember that a cup of ice water is always free at any Quick Serv location at Disney World) can all help mitigate heat/sun issues.

Ask for the DAS, but always have a back-up plan ready in case it is not approved.

Are all the dessert parties back? I was under the impression that those were still somewhat "seasonal" and not at all Parks yet. I'm pretty sure that HS didn't even have "Jingle Bells Jingle BAM" this past holiday season, and the Launch Bay dessert parties have not yet come back either.

You're totally correct that the evening dessert parties or after hours events have been sporadic. At least there were more this past winter (like the MVMCP) and I thought Disney was bringing back some evening event for passholders? I hope as we move to the summer months that covid is beaten back even more and Disney ramps up staffing for more evening hours and special events.

At least for me personally a Disney trip right now is costing more than ever so I fully realize anything except normal late evening park hours maybe outside the budget for most people... but it's an option. Money may be better spent on Genie+ to get quicker access to rides which could = less sun!

I think using a mobility scooter is actually hotter in the summer - black seat (cover it with something white) plus moving slowly through crowds. The plus side is being able to find a shady spot that is out of the way that actually has no seating area but you have a place to sit cause of the ECV. Also it's good to have you back @mamabunny! :)

Now, y'all know me; I am queen of the Mole People, and with my sun sensitivity I am *always* one for an evening/after-hours event/party, but since COVID...

... they (currently) aren't really year round/non-stop are they?

OP didn't say when they were traveling, and the parties already cover a lot of the year. Pre-Covid they were covering more than that, and approaching year round hard-ticketing strategy. It wouldn't shock me at all to see it. And the deluxe/Swolphin night hours are going all year, with a couple gaps here and there.

Honestly, a Halloween party in mid-August sounds better than going to the park during the day in July. I wouldn't be surprised to see Halloween starting earlier and earlier...

I just returned from a trip with T2 diabetes and had DAS for another health condition. They simply asked what makes waiting in a line difficult for you. People need to remember even being in the shade when it's hot outside can make it really hard to cope with T2/heat. My sugars were going up despite exercise, lots of water, and avoiding the sun like the plague. I also had a low after walking for a bit in EPCOT. After that, we decided to rent a wheelchair and cover up with an umbrella when the sun was out. If I were your friend, I would 100% get a scooter with a sunshade on top.

My top tips:
  • Do what you can at night! This is the best time :) I have done the extra hours when staying at the Dolphin and it was amazing
  • Early morning hours are great too
  • Apply sunscreen more than you think you need to
  • Keep a water bottle and refill it many times during the day for free from QS/Water Fountains
  • Go visit the seas in EPCOT and watch the dolphins/sharks/rays for a nice break
  • Use the Genie wait time predictions to see when line waits will be shorter
  • Bring a usb-powered fan
  • Wear your hat!

If this person is an elder, such an explanation may well insult both their intelligence and dignity.

We (I'm one by age, not mindset 😉) know that an ECV is helpful, a tool to enable and improve.

Even those who wear glasses or hearing aids may resist an ECV because those practically scream, "I'm too decrepit to walk anymore." People of all ages may use eyeglasses or a hearing aid--both far more common and less conspicuous than an ECV.

It's difficult to impossible for younger still-vigorous adults to understand how difficult admitting we need these very useful tools can be. Foremost is having to admit to ourselves we're not in as good shape as we used to be.

A better approach might be, "Can we talk about this more? We'd really love to have you go with us. I'd like to know how you feel about using an ECV and will listen carefully." Then, do that.

Wow, Is this what you think when you see me on a scooter? That I'm "not in as good shape" as I used to be? Think about what you are suggesting with this post. You are looking down your nose at those of us who are different abled than you are. Using an ECV has NOTHING to do with my "shape". It has everything to do with my ability. I would bet that there are some things I can do physically that you cannot. Do you have any idea how much upper body strength it takes to use arm crutches? Or to use a manual wheelchair in "normal" life? Try and use those items at Disney World and then talk to me about being in shape. Using a scooter at Disney World is nothing to be ashamed of and also nothing to judge others for using. I can't believe your post.

First of all, the intent was never to offend anyone, and I feel certain that you - with the wisdom of your years - would know that.

Many, if not most, of the people who *rent* mobility devices to use at WDW never have to use one in their daily lives at home. They have, by design, knowingly or unknowingly, created routines, habits and preferences that allow them to move through their days at home without need of an assistive device.

When they arrive at WDW, they are suddenly confronted with a habitat where they are expected to walk (on average) between 3 & 10 miles *per day* . It's often impossible for them to do one day, let alone a week or more.

*Those* people are the one who resist the use of a "scooter". They believe if they don't need one at home, then why should they use one now that we are at Disney World? What they don't realize is that creeping around, bench to curb to planter to bench all day ruins not just their vacation, but everyone who travels with them, not to mention it often requires a vacation to recuperate from their vacation when they get home!

They are often in an emotional state; they may not be rational. Even just talking about it while planning their WDW vacation may stress some of these folks out. I know that the first time *I* had to use an ECV I was not at all thinking straight. I was working under the delusion that I was fine, and I just needed to "sit for just a minute" before struggling on to find another place to "sit for just a minute" more. At the time I wasn't even 50 years old. I also had not yet been (officially) diagnosed with any of the conditions and diseases that I was clearly suffering from at the time. I considered myself to be "normal".

As I have stated here before, I ugly cried the first time I had to break down and rent an ECV while in the Parks. Well before the end of that first day I realized that my pride, and my fears had prevented me from using a *tool* that would not only make my vacation better, but that of my family as well. The next morning, I saw clearly that my use of the scooter was better for everyone; my family no longer had to wait for me as I was now able to keep up easily with them. We got twice as much done in half the time, and at the end of the day I was the one who was still raring to go, ready to grab a ride to Disney Springs for adult beverages.

In that moment, when I was sitting there in Epcot, crying my eyes out over the thought that *I* would have to use a horrible old granny scooter, one of my family members handed me a tissue, and told me "It's just a tool, to get a job done. No different than wearing your prescription glasses to see better, or Gpop's (grandpa's) hearing aids to hear better".

That explanation resonated with me in the moment. Since then, I have used that explanation to help others overcome their discomfort with the idea.

So, again - I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, least of all you. If that concept does not reflect your idea of the best way to help someone overcome that fear, that reluctance to use a device to improve their situation, that's fine.

I don't want anyone to *have* to use a mobility device at WDW, but there are many who clearly benefit from it. That particular explanation has helped a lot of folks have a better trip, and accept using an ECV without denting their pride.

I absolutely hope your perspective has changed on viewing people who use ECVs. Do people really judge ECV users this harshly? my lands... You mention dented pride to have to use an ECV. If that's how you view people with mobility impairments, then you are excluding an entire group of people from being a part of your life.

Wow, Is this what you think when you see me on a scooter? That I'm "not in as good shape" as I used to be? Think about what you are suggesting with this post. You are looking down your nose at those of us who are different abled than you are. Using an ECV has NOTHING to do with my "shape". It has everything to do with my ability. I would bet that there are some things I can do physically that you cannot. Do you have any idea how much upper body strength it takes to use arm crutches? Or to use a manual wheelchair in "normal" life? Try and use those items at Disney World and then talk to me about being in shape. Using a scooter at Disney World is nothing to be ashamed of and also nothing to judge others for using. I can't believe your post.
I absolutely hope your perspective has changed on viewing people who use ECVs. Do people really judge ECV users this harshly? my lands... You mention dented pride to have to use an ECV. If that's how you view people with mobility impairments, then you are excluding an entire group of people from being a part of your life.

I think you might want to re-read the posts you are complaining about? I feel like the poster is saying the exact opposite of what you are claiming they are saying?

I also had a low after walking for a bit in EPCOT.

So weird! I’m T1, but of all the lows I’ve had at WDW, EPCOT is where I’ve had the most and the most severe ones! It would be completely understandable if it was just from the walking, because things are a lot further apart and there’s also just a lot of walking and looking around, but even on trips where I’ve needed an ECV, EPCOT has been Low BG Land.

She owns an electric mobility device herself fyi.

We often have people who post about not wanting to use an ECV for the first time because they feel self-conscious.

I just returned from a trip with T2 diabetes and had DAS for another health condition. They simply asked what makes waiting in a line difficult for you. People need to remember even being in the shade when it's hot outside can make it really hard to cope with T2/heat. My sugars were going up despite exercise, lots of water, and avoiding the sun like the plague. I also had a low after walking for a bit in EPCOT.

This totally sounds like the people I know with type 1 when we're at Disney...especially the "having highs some days and lows the others" part. I saw some live streamers on YT this past week who were talking about how hot it was down there!

This totally sounds like the people I know with type 1 when we're at Disney...especially the "having highs some days and lows the others" part. I saw some live streamers on YT this past week who were talking about how hot it was down there!
It was pretty hot for end of February! The sun was really strong as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter