Type 2 Diabetes and DAS

Jeslynb

Mouseketeer
Apologies if this has been asked - I cannot find anything on this. I have a family member with T2D who is very heat sensitive and is nervous about attempting a Disney visit. T2D is a disability under the ADA, but I was wondering if it qualifies her for a pass, in theory.

To qualify for a DAS, your family member will simply need to explain why waiting in a standard queue environment is a problem for them. DAS is need-based and not diagnosis-based, so the diagnosis doesn't even need to be stated in the explanation. Just what needs will be met by waiting outside the queue. Not everyone with the same diagnosis needs a DAS -- for example, my DH has T2D but has never needed DAS; other people with T2D are impacted differently and use DAS.

Something questions to think about (and you don't need to answer here)... what will this person do while waiting? where will s/he wait? how will being somewhere other than the queue help this person?

She'd need only to explain something like she's unable to wait in queues that are not indoors or shaded. As mentioned above, Disney doesn't want details, only to know what the person is unable to do or needs.

Something to consider for her is if a Disney stay may be unwise in any case. It can be terribly hot merely getting around a park from one attraction to the next. A good many shops have open doorways and aren't terrifically cool indoors so might not provide a sufficient break as a place to duck inside briefly,

Yeah, heat sensitivity and Disney aren't a very good mix. Maybe in addition to a possible DAS, think about planning the trip around a cooler time of year to help. Good luck to your family member and I hope they find a way to enjoy a trip to Disney.

Thanks guys. I agree that this trip may not be the best plan for this particular person. I have also suggested getting her a scooter because that would also help but that...did not go over well. I honestly don't know what the benefits are of the DAS, specifically, but based on the helpful info here, I am going to set up a call and let her talk to someone at Disney.

Yeah, heat sensitivity and Disney aren't a very good mix. Maybe in addition to a possible DAS, think about planning the trip around a cooler time of year to help.

And that isn't necessarily going to help, sorry to say. It would be horrible for her to get there and have to spend most/all of her time at the resort.

We went for Christmas once. Every day in the week but one had highs near 100 and "lows" in the upper 70s-80s. Records were set a couple times. Florida's wonderful that way. <sarcasm alert>

Even the CMs were saying the weather was NOT normal, and you hardly ever hear one of them say anything a guest might take as negative.

ETA: Just occurred to me that the buses and monorail might be intolerable as full as those can be even after the rush to open the parks. I've ridden them plenty of times that I found them stuffy or outright too warm.

I honestly don't know what the benefits are of the DAS, specifically
DAS does 1 thing — it allows the party to wait somewhere other than in the queue. It does not shorten the wait or provide a place to wait (so you may be out in the sun walking around for an hour), it does nothing for transportation or dining or shopping. You can find more about DAS in the first post of this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...genie-post-one-is-an-updated-summary.3849395/

... I have also suggested getting her a scooter because that would also help but that...did not go over well...

Please explain to them that using a scooter (what Disney calls an ECV) is no different than using glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to improve hearing.

It's a *tool* to get a job done, or improve the users life experience. Nothing more.

There are SO many people using mobility devices of one kind or another at WDW these days that I promise - cross my heart, etc. - that your person will not stand out at all. Some people worry that they might be judged by others for using a device, but the reality is that most folks who use one at WDW don't use any assistance at home; only at Disney World where you might walk (on average) between 3 & 10 miles per day.

And if someone does stare? Who cares? You will likely never see them again - the chances of running into someone you know at Disney World are so very tiny - there are *thousands* of people in those Parks every day. And if you do run into someone you know from home? Let's just say that if their reaction is anything other than "Hey! How cool to see you here!" then their momma didn't raise them right. (also, you should go right out and buy a lotto ticket after that, just sayin' because the odds are in your favor that day LOL)

But seriously. Using a mobility device at WDW is no big deal. It's just a tool to enable the user to move around a HUGE Resort while helping safeguard their health, and hopefully allowing them to arrive home after their vacation in the same (or better) condition then when they left. No one wants to get home and have to have a vacation to recover from their vacation!

Guide your person here - have them ask us all the questions they want. This is a no judgement zone, and we will be happy to answer all the questions they have, and help them get ready to use an ECV at WDW if that's the right solution for them.

Based on what you've said, Disney is unlikely to approve the DAS and is likely to recommend the mobility device that you mention would help. I would encourage your family member to really consider that device to make the trip more bearable if going at a cooler time is not possible. If you have to go in the heat, I would also consider purchasing clothing or gear that has the capability of cooling someone down - there are some nifty tech items that now are available which can help all sorts of needs.

Please explain to them that using a scooter (what Disney calls an ECV) is no different than using glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to improve hearing.

It's a *tool* to get a job done, or improve the users life experience. Nothing more.

There are SO many people using mobility devices of one kind or another at WDW these days that I promise - cross my heart, etc. - that your person will not stand out at all. Some people worry that they might be judged by others for using a device, but the reality is that most folks who use one at WDW don't use any assistance at home; only at Disney World where you might walk (on average) between 3 & 10 miles per day.

And if someone does stare? Who cares? You will likely never see them again - the chances of running into someone you know at Disney World are so very tiny - there are *thousands* of people in those Parks every day. And if you do run into someone you know from home? Let's just say that if their reaction is anything other than "Hey! How cool to see you here!" then their momma didn't raise them right. (also, you should go right out and buy a lotto ticket after that, just sayin' because the odds are in your favor that day LOL)

But seriously. Using a mobility device at WDW is no big deal. It's just a tool to enable the user to move around a HUGE Resort while helping safeguard their health, and hopefully allowing them to arrive home after their vacation in the same (or better) condition then when they left. No one wants to get home and have to have a vacation to recover from their vacation!

Guide your person here - have them ask us all the questions they want. This is a no judgement zone, and we will be happy to answer all the questions they have, and help them get ready to use an ECV at WDW if that's the right solution for them.
Maybe tell them that everyone will enjoy their vacation more if everyone is as comfortable as possible while touring Disney.

Actually not being able to wait in an outdoor line in the heat and sun because of diabetes and medication are some of the reasons you are able to get DAS . Please don’t be nervous about getting approved for it . You can have a successful trip if you plan accordingly. Research the parks ahead of time . Find spots in a/c to wait and recharge have a snack or cool drink . Bring a misting fan or buy one there . We love the Disney ones , worth every penny . Also a sun umbrella or sun shade for the ECV will help . This trip can be done . You just need to plan . Have a great time !

If this person is an elder, such an explanation may well insult both their intelligence and dignity.

We (I'm one by age, not mindset 😉) know that an ECV is helpful, a tool to enable and improve.

Even those who wear glasses or hearing aids may resist an ECV because those practically scream, "I'm too decrepit to walk anymore." People of all ages may use eyeglasses or a hearing aid--both far more common and less conspicuous than an ECV.

It's difficult to impossible for younger still-vigorous adults to understand how difficult admitting we need these very useful tools can be. Foremost is having to admit to ourselves we're not in as good shape as we used to be.

A better approach might be, "Can we talk about this more? We'd really love to have you go with us. I'd like to know how you feel about using an ECV and will listen carefully." Then, do that.

Heat sensitivity and needing a scooter are not the same thing……. I can see lots of folks whose mobility is normally good balking at the idea of a scooter to stay cooler!

First thing I’d think about was the timing of the trip in the first place. Maybe take the trip at a cooler time of year. If she is nervous, talk about intentional strategies to stay cooler and what proactive measures can she take. Clothing and bag choices, walking in advance to build endurance, hydration, your party always stopping to gather in the shade or AC, not sitting in the sun to wait for the parade, skipping a ride with group and waiting in the AC. Understanding where in the parks a cooler wait can happen. There are lots of intentional actions groups and individuals can take to make sure someone doesn’t get overheated.

In my extended family, a couple of folks just seem insensitive to heat and have annoying behaviors that tend to led to behaviors like stopping to read the map in full sun instead of moving four feet into the shade, not drinking enough water, carrying a huge backpack that is really heavy, not tying up long hair, cute cloth choices vs choices most sensible for the weather, etc. There are a TON of things a traveling party can do to reduce heat overload. It’s why I refuse to ride BTMRR in the middle of the day in the summer because I find the queue downright miserable.

Basically, I’m saying have a conversation about tips and tricks for behaviors to make the trip cooler. And then decide if maybe DAS makes sense to think about for her.

Basically, I’m saying have a conversation about tips and tricks for behaviors to make the trip cooler. And then decide if maybe DAS makes sense to think about for her.

Excellent points.

While an EVC to move around more rapidly might seem helpful, your ideas could be far more useful and practical.

It's really a matter of dialogue and exploration of how a given individual perceives their abilities and needs, not so much how others trying to help perceive them.

Is the ECV needed for a mobility reason? Any mobility issues are usually handled with mobility devices and not a DAS. I don't think the ECV will help much with getting hot.

I travel often with people who have type 1 diabetes and indeed the diagnosis doesn't really dictate what accommodations - if any - are needed. I've seen trips where there were significant struggles and others where it was mostly fine - not necessarily heat related. I take medication that can cause severe burns in the sun if I'm not careful so I've gotten good with protective clothing, sunscreen and I also used to really enjoy the parks later in the day and at night when the parks were open late (usually in the summer or the busiest times however). As others mentioned, have the person be prepared to say why they cannot wait in the regular lines. She could also get there and see how it goes and ask for a DAS if problems are encountered with the heat...it's hard for someone who doesn't visit often to imagine in advance what it would be like!

Thanks guys. I agree that this trip may not be the best plan for this particular person. I have also suggested getting her a scooter because that would also help but that...did not go over well. I honestly don't know what the benefits are of the DAS, specifically, but based on the helpful info here, I am going to set up a call and let her talk to someone at Disney.
have them read mamabunny's post more than once as it is very true

If this person is an elder, such an explanation may well insult both their intelligence and dignity.

We (I'm one by age, not mindset 😉) know that an ECV is helpful, a tool to enable and improve.

Even those who wear glasses or hearing aids may resist an ECV because those practically scream, "I'm too decrepit to walk anymore." People of all ages may use eyeglasses or a hearing aid--both far more common and less conspicuous than an ECV.

It's difficult to impossible for younger still-vigorous adults to understand how difficult admitting we need these very useful tools can be. Foremost is having to admit to ourselves we're not in as good shape as we used to be.

A better approach might be, "Can we talk about this more? We'd really love to have you go with us. I'd like to know how you feel about using an ECV and will listen carefully." Then, do that.
I am one of the older group, I will be 72 later this year, and agree an ECV is just a tool like glasses. I am more insulted by your reaction

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter