Turkey Legs - nutritional value ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
How many calories in a WDW CS Turkey Leg?
How much salt ?
How much sugar?
How much fat and what kind ?

Thank you

Our solution was to share one for our family of four. Even then we had celery sticks for dinner. :)

I knew turkey legs were loaded with sodium, but over 5,000 mg????? WOW! :eek: Good thing i dont eat turkey legs.

After our recently ended Thanksgiving trip I have to say the turkey leg is the only QS food we all enjoyed eating at Magic Kingdom to date.
We tried a few other dishes this trip but none of the other dishes lived up to the turkey leg in our opinion.
In the past we shared a leg and salad from Liberty Sq. Fresh Market and it made a fine lunch for 3 to 4.

Strange that the links above have such different nutritional stats.

I decided I needed to try a turkey leg several years ago. It was sooooooo salty I could not eat it. We were at EPCOT yesterday and I noticed a father and child feeding their turkey leg to one of the white birds that are always begging for food.

I won't go near the things but every trip was 18 year old daughter insists on getting one (and she is tiny how she eats it I don't know).

messy and unhealthy to eat but so delicious (every once in a while)

Dh always smokes our turkey at home and the drumsticks are the tastiest as they take in the smoke seasoning better. But, they are never greasy like the ones at WDW. Really don't know why those at Disney are so full of fat and grease!! :confused3

They are over 1,000 calories a pop. I personally find them utterly disgusting, full of stringy tendons, salty, and greasy. They also taste like ham because of the smoking. You couldn't pay me to eat one, let alone shell out over $10 bucks for it!

Dh always smokes our turkey at home and the drumsticks are the tastiest as they take in the smoke seasoning better. But, they are never greasy like the ones at WDW. Really don't know why those at Disney are so full of fat and grease!! :confused3
the NYTimes article about the disney turkey legs say that their supplier uses male turkeys which grow up to 50 lbs for those huge legs while turkeys you buy whole are female and top out at half that weight. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the additional weight is in fat.

WDW TURKEY LEGS "411":
1) Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year!
2) That is about 7 turkey legs for every man-woman-child in Orlando.
3) Each of these bird legs weighs about 1.5 pounds for about $14 or 1-CS DDP Credit.
4) They supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys!
5) Nutrition, per Lisa Haines, VP Communications, WDW
. . . about a half day's worth of a grown-man's calorie goal (1,092 calories each leg)
. . . about a day's worth of a grown-man's fat goal (54 gr each leg)
. . . about two day's worth of a grown-man's sodium goal (5,283 gr each leg)
6) Recipe
. . . take uber-monstrous one leg
. . . inject copious amounts of salt brine
. . . smoke slowly at 225º for 4 hrs.
NOTE:
We really do like the taste of the turkey legs.
However, we seldom finish one, so we save the calories for later.
We still get the legs when we have a hankerin'.
Additionally, they do seem to be pretty "stringy".

This reminds me of when I just got curious and asked how much sugar and calories were in a LeFou's Brew. The girl at the counter looked at me and said, "I don't know and you probably don't want to either." Yeah. So, I ordered a LeFou's Brew and happily drank it.

At least Turkey Legs have protein!

WDW TURKEY LEGS "411":
1) Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year!
2) That is about 7 turkey legs for every man-woman-child in Orlando.
3) Each of these bird legs weighs about 1.5 pounds for about $14 or 1-CS DDP Credit.
4) They supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys!
5) Nutrition, per Lisa Haines, VP Communications, WDW
. . . about a half day's worth of a grown-man's calorie goal (1,092 calories each leg)
. . . about a day's worth of a grown-man's fat goal (54 gr each leg)
. . . about two day's worth of a grown-man's sodium goal (5,283 gr each leg)
6) Recipe
. . . take uber-monstrous one leg
. . . inject copious amounts of salt brine
. . . smoke slowly at 225º for 4 hrs.
NOTE:
We really do like the taste of the turkey legs.
However, we seldom finish one, so we save the calories for later.
We still get the legs when we have a hankerin'.
Additionally, they do seem to be pretty "stringy".

Male turkeys, not emus?

[Just kidding!! In memory of our favorite DIS thread, from many years ago.]

I decided I needed to try a turkey leg several years ago. It was sooooooo salty I could not eat it. We were at EPCOT yesterday and I noticed a father and child feeding their turkey leg to one of the white birds that are always begging for food.

I'm guessing they were sea gulls. Somehow feeding a bird to a bird seems... well, just so wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter