TSA Pre-check

I signed up for Global Entry and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend paying the extra $15 for Global entry ($100 vs $85). For the extra $15 you get a much quicker customs experience via a kiosk at airports. Supposedly they are working on it for some port terminals as well. Port Everglades didn't have the kiosks but they had a different lane for Global entry (you had to have your card), which was super fast.

They have kiosks now at MSP. And, ALL travelers use them. It is the most painless customs/immigration procedure ever. There were a LARGE number of kiosks replacing the relatively small number of humans they used to have. You print out a piece of paper from the kiosk, and then hand them to a human. Quick. I'd say we were outside the airport, with out bags in hand, in less than 20-25 minutes from landing. Sure beats the hour I spent in customs the last time I entered the US (same airport).

I also was randomly assigned TSA pre check on my trip last week. I wouldn't spend the money to get it but enjoy taking advantage of it when I get it!

I almost always get TSA Precheck.
DH also.
Just had it March 12 on our return from Orlando

I travel frequently for work, but did not sign up for TSA pre-check. I never once have had it given to me randomly. Doesn't seem to be much of a rhyme or reason as to how they hand it out to people who aren't members of the program.

I did this a few months ago. The interview takes about 10 min and I got my KTN within two days. The approval is good for 5 years.

Yes, my DH and I just applied also. Got number on line in 2 days, and letter in mail in about a week. Very easy process with a passport. So worth it in my opinion.

I don't travel frequently, but the last 2-3 times, I had TSA-Pre on my boarding passes without applying for anything. Is this something different?

I frequently got TSA Pre randomly, but I want it guaranteed, so I applied.

They still randomly assign TSA precheck...that has not gone away. Just last week I was TSA pre checked for flight to Florida (husband also) from Newark but neither of us were pre check for the flight home. So very random!!!

We are often TSA precheck at Newark on United and Jetblue.

MJ

Heard back from British Airlines and because they are a non US carrier they ca not attach my pre check to the AA portion of the trip. I did not get the global access option due to my out of country trip being Europe (I was originally using an airport that did not have the service) on BA (they don't seem to be so friendly towards these types of services) so not covered and the U.K. Has a similar program but I did not qualify because you had to have at least 4 trips before qualifying. This will probably be my only overseas trip in the next 5 years but I will think about Global when it comes time to renew my TSA Precheck.

Oh well guess I'll be slogging through the regular old lines. (Well not all I upgraded my UK/Paris trip to Premium Economy and I think that improves my boarding haha)

Last edited:
I signed up for Global Entry and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend paying the extra $15 for Global entry ($100 vs $85). For the extra $15 you get a much quicker customs experience via a kiosk at airports. Supposedly they are working on it for some port terminals as well. Port Everglades didn't have the kiosks but they had a different lane for Global entry (you had to have your card), which was super fast.

I agree. This was a good investment for me, and I did it from a tip here on the DISboards.

So for $15 more you get the domestic TSA Pre check and Global Entry? What exactly is Global Entry? Thanks!

So for $15 more you get the domestic TSA Pre check and Global Entry? What exactly is Global Entry? Thanks!
global also includes international, but from what I get, dealing with customs instead of TSA is a big pain in da buns

DH has it for work travel, and last time we went on vacation, they included DS and I too. It was wonderful!!

Do you still have to go through the body scanner or get a pat down if you have TSA pre check?

We paid for TSA Pre Check, quick and painless process. if I had known Global entry includes it, i would have done that. Made our first trip to Europe last month, and our boarding passes coming home from Barcelona said TSA Precheck . But it didn't seem to matter, didn't see any lines for it. It did apply in Newark, which was nice.

Global entry allows you expedited customs clearance when returning to the us. I believe they are also in the works to roll it out at some cruise terminals.

You do have to have a quick interview with CBP, but it took less than 15 minutes.

Do you still have to go through the body scanner or get a pat down if you have TSA pre check?

I don't think they have the full body scanners on the Pre Check side. But I have seen them do random screenings.

Global entry allows you expedited customs clearance when returning to the us. I believe they are also in the works to roll it out at some cruise terminals.

You do have to have a quick interview with CBP, but it took less than 15 minutes.

Thanks for the reply! So Global entry includes TSA pre check, correct?
We mostly fly in the US but may take a trip to Europe in the next few years. For only $15 more it may be worth it to upgrade to Global entry.
We are also like to take cruises so if cruise terminals are being added that would be great!

I have been reading more about the different programs and it seems the NEXUS card has all the benefits of Pre-check and Global entry for only $50? Is that correct? We don't travel to Canada but is it worth getting instead of the Global or Pre - check?

Edit-- ok forget NEXUS for us. No interview centers near us. Make sense that the offices would all be up north near Canada....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter