Trying to Plan Hawaii, Aulani

Can you share where you were watching to find this price? I would have snatched it up at this price. We tried to go last year but the airfare I found from Boston to Hawaii was 2k a person x 5 made a very, very expensive vacation. LOL!

I was checking prices because we were thinking about going to Aulani this fall. Then we decided to wait until next year so everything would be up and running for a while. Most of the major airlines had this price a few weeks ago. Package air can be great too from CA. Pleasant Holidays and Funjet are good.

Going back to the car part of the thread. If I was going to be there I would also get a car, but I saw on the boards a couple months ago that there is a per day charge for parking at Aulani. I can't remember how much. I just remember that when I saw the charge my jaw dropped. I guess being used to parking for free at the WDW resorts and knowing that HHI and Vero are also free, seems a little much for members at at DVC resort. I know from past experience in Hawaii that you have to pay at most hotels to park, but I just assumed that since it was a DVC resort we could be exempt from this fee.

If the fee is real then add that in to your budget for staying at Aulani.

Aloha!

We're headed to Honolulu in October (DH has a conference, so we'll be at the Hilton Hawaiian Village), and I found us airfare from Houston for $500 pp. It was an unadvertised 24hr. fare sale on Continental/United. My best suggestion is to check prices often. Once you know what a "normal" fare from your city to HNL is, then you can jump on any deals that come up. --Katie

While living on the West Coast makes WDW a pain, it pays when it comes to Hawaii trips-we've gone 6 or 7 times. Once we had to pay $800 pp, over Christmas, but it's not uncommon for us to go for half that or less. Might be worth getting cheap airfare from the West Coast (there are often sales in the summer) then just getting yourself to the West Coast separately. You could always spend a day or two at DL :) . Recently, AK Airlines had $169 each way to Hawaii.

Definitely, get a car. I would skip the very expensive looking Aulani excursions and just do your research and go out on your own. It's a very small island and it's very easy to find your way around. My understanding is that the area Aulani is is windy, and won't be great for things like snorkeling. Drive around down south to snorkel, go learn to surf on Waikiki.

Stop at the Costco first thing and stock up on groceries. Cheapest place on the islands to buy groceries; prices are pretty similar to mainland prices.

When we go to Hawaii (and we usually go to Maui; I much prefer it to Oahu, though Aulani looks gorgeous) we take it very easy; I'm a commando visitor at Disney, but in Hawaii we often have nothing scheduled for days at a time. Get up early, sit on the balcony and drink coffee, swim in the pool, hit the beach in the morning before it gets windy...drive around a little.

We liked the Polynesian Cultural Center, watching the surfing competition at the North Shore, and snorkeling. Honolulu was interesting for a day or two, but a little overstimulating for how I want to spend my time in Hawaii. A visit to the Arizona is a must, I think.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyone just quickly mention if there is a way to stay at Aulani without being a DVC member?
Thanks!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyone just quickly mention if there is a way to stay at Aulani without being a DVC member?
Thanks!

Yes, it has regular hotel rooms as well as DVC units. Or you could rent DVC points from a member.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I just assumed that since it was a DVC resort we could be exempt from this fee.

DVC members staying on points will get free parking at Aulani. Non-members/general guests/members on cash stays will pay $35/night for parking, according to my sources (though I saw another source that said $25).

Mary
MouseSavers.com

We also want to go "someday" to Aulani.

Is airfare always just crazy to Hawaii? I am so clueless!

More or less, the answer is "yes" -- the main reason as to why so expensive is that all the Hawaii air routes are held by "legacy" carriers (AA, United, Delta, etc.). There is no representation by any of the discount carriers (Southwest, JetBlue).

However, Hawaiian Airlines (HAL) has been known to have low fares from the West Coast. With that in mind, I might fly to LAX on Southwest, do a couple of days at Disneyland and fly HAL to HNL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter