Truck Pride

All of you that pull a trailer with your truck, what make is it?

• Ford

• Toyota

• Chevy/GM

• Dodge

• Nissan

Results are only viewable after voting.
The funnest part of the trip to FL is me marching up the grade in Jellico TN as all the other trucks are huffing and puffing in the right lane.

I have to agree, there is nothing that pulls like the Duramax / Allison combo. Although I'm not hearing good things about the mileage out of the new diesels GM is putting out. Was thinking of trading up the 2001 for something newer, but now I'm having second thoughts about it.

Guess I am the lone Nissan owner here, but I am a proud one. I love my Armada, and it has been a great tow vehicle for my Spree. I hope to see a few Titans or maybe another Armada pop up here though. I was glad to see a Sequoia owner...surprised not to see a few Expedition owners.

Not the only one now.

2007 Nissan Armada LE

I picked up an Armada for its towing ability.

My only complaint is the mpg.

Love the truck. It beats the Suburban my parents had when I was younger.

2008 F250 5.4, crewcab shortbed, 3.73 rear, 2 wheel drive.

When we bought the trailer, I initially towed it with my 1987 F350 dump truck (460, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed creeper gear manual, 4.10 rear end). I still use that truck, it is a beast. 7mpg, towing, not towing, uphill, downhill, empty, loaded.... doesn't matter.

Then I bought a used 2000 F250 extended cab 7.3 diesel... worked great at first with a family of four, but the kids kept growing. I averaged 12.5 mpg towing and could just touch 20mph empty on the highway (which was almost never).

Last year I bought my 5.4 F250, and couldn't be happier. The engine / drivetrain is perfect for what I use it for. A little over 9mpg towing, 15mpg empty on the highway.

343npdl.jpg

Well, what did in my 6.0 is a combination of things, mostly bad timing. On the last morning of our Oct. trip the truck didn't want to start as we were getting ready to hitch up. Turned over, but wouldn't fire, kinda like timing was off. It started, and we got home fine. It would start some times with no problem, then would take a few minutes with lots of smoke blowing, and rough running.
Diagnosis by Ford: need a new FICM. The fuel injection control module was bad. I have 70,000 miles on the truck, and a number of other expensive repairs are due any time. I am 3 weeks past the 5 year warranty, and Ford won't budge. FICM is $1200.00. I believe the starter is about to go to after the abuse I gave it with the bad FICM. :headache:

This happened just as I lost a major account, cutting our income drasticly.

Bottom line, I still owe on the truck, but have equity, though not much. So I have someone who will take it off my hands and repair and resell. I am just glad to walk away at this point.

I had been warned by my dealer, and many other Ford owners to get rid of the truck before 100,000 miles, and intended to do so. This just accelerated things.

So I scrapped up some cash and bought a '93 3/4 ton Suburban. It's old, but low miles for it's age, 118,000. Seems to run strong, many are going strong at 250,000 miles. It looks great sitting in the driveway, all paid for!:love: Besides, I was raised to be a Chevy man. :thumbsup2

We are seriously considering selling the travel trailer and scaling back in that area too. Our needs are changing since the kids are getting more independent, having jobs and lives of their own. Simplifying makes good sense now more than ever.

Rest assured however, this will not be affecting the frequency, or intensity ;)of the FW trips!!!! We will just be in a different rig! (Pictures to follow, of course;))

Tony, sorry to hear your account and truck problems. I've got a couple friends who lost their campers in the bad economy and it really stinks. Hopefully things get better for you soon. I've got an 04 2500 with a Duramax with 225,000 miles on it and it's almost paid for. Cant wait til I make the last payment.

We use a 2007 F-150 super crew with the 4.6 in it and the towing package. Pulls our Jayco real nice. I want to move up to an F-250 next though.

IMG_4343.jpg

Tony, sorry to hear your account and truck problems. I've got a couple friends who lost their campers in the bad economy and it really stinks. Hopefully things get better for you soon. I've got an 04 2500 with a Duramax with 225,000 miles on it and it's almost paid for. Cant wait til I make the last payment.

I have 3 more to go and then mine is paid for. :cool1:

We have a 2003 Ford F350 crew cab, 4x4, diesel. It was originally purchased to tow our 29' Keystone Springdale tt. Since then, the tt has been sold and we bought a 2000 Lance 820. MY problem is that our truck is a short bed. Our options for a truck camper were very limited. Someday (yes, I'm dreaming) I would like a truck with an 8' bed and a bigger truck camper. :goodvibes

I was wondering what kind of a TC you had. I couldn't tell from the picture. We have the short bed too, so I know what you mean about limited options. You can only have so much camper hangin' out the back end of the truck bed. ;) It is amazing how much they cram into such a small space though, isn't it! We are on our second truck and camper combo. We have an F250 crew cab 4x4 and an Adventurer 85WS. If memory serves me right, the size is similar to your Lance. It works well for us, but bigger would definitely be nice. BTW - If you can't get the long bed for a while, there are some manufacturers who are making short bed TCs with slides now. Go figure!

Lisa, I really do love our tc. But.... I have had my eye on a Lance 881 for over a year now! ;) I know they don't make the 881 anymore, it's a really heavy unit, but it has the full wall slide (dinette and fridge). It makes a HUGE difference inside (especially with 2 rottweilers :rolleyes:)! I would love to trade the 820 for an 881, but I can't justify it right now in this economy. DH is pretty much going week to week right now with his job. :scared:

Replaced the F-350 with 1993 3/4 ton Suburban. Took the trailer out for a short test tow a couple of days ago, and even without weight distribution or sway bars, had an easy tow. We are leaving this morning for a trip to Fort Desoto. I am hoping this is the last trip we take in this TT. Hopefully I'll have it sold soon.

Replaced the F-350 with 1993 3/4 ton Suburban. Took the trailer out for a short test tow a couple of days ago, and even without weight distribution or sway bars, had an easy tow. We are leaving this morning for a trip to Fort Desoto. I am hoping this is the last trip we take in this TT. Hopefully I'll have it sold soon.

Sounds like a good replacement tow vehicle. Does the 'burb have a gas engine or the diesel? With three kids, I have often thought that a 'burb or an Excursion would make one of the best tow vehicles, but I needed something to get firewood for the house in winter, and the price of diesel is very steep up here. Was happy to have 4WD yesterday for a trip to Brattleboro, VT in the snow and ice. Watched several semi's stuck on Route 9 heading uphill toward Keene, no way to keep moving forward, and in one case doing his best to stop sliding back downhill toward the oncoming cars.

Yes it is gasoline. 454 Big Block, so it really likes it's gasoline, but the F-350 drank a lot of diesel too. I loved my 4x4 when I lived up north. I am surprised by how many folks down here want 4x4, when they never go off road or face snow and Ice. :confused3

2008 F250 5.4, crewcab shortbed, 3.73 rear, 2 wheel drive.

When we bought the trailer, I initially towed it with my 1987 F350 dump truck (460, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed creeper gear manual, 4.10 rear end). I still use that truck, it is a beast. 7mpg, towing, not towing, uphill, downhill, empty, loaded.... doesn't matter.

Then I bought a used 2000 F250 extended cab 7.3 diesel... worked great at first with a family of four, but the kids kept growing. I averaged 12.5 mpg towing and could just touch 20mph empty on the highway (which was almost never).

Last year I bought my 5.4 F250, and couldn't be happier. The engine / drivetrain is perfect for what I use it for. A little over 9mpg towing, 15mpg empty on the highway.

343npdl.jpg

You should have gotten red.

Nope that is called a "tractor" ... but it sure is a great TV.

Also the TV in my sig is not technically a "truck" but sure pulls like one and the inside secure storage space is great as is the MPG with that proven 7.3L diesel.

Based on my unscientific observations at the many CGs we have stayed at the almost 1/2 of the TVs being Ford reflected in this poll is fairly accurate. The other 4 --- Dodge, GM, Toyota, Nissan make up the other 50%. Also, just look around at the commercial trucks like utility, contractor, etc. and see what platform they are based on ... I have yet to see a commercial like power company or contractor type business (landscaping, etc.) with either a Nissan or Toyota truck. Also a few GMs, but almost no Dodges. That sort of tells me that the Fords are in fact built "FORD TOUGH" and just provide longer more cost effective service than other brands.

Larry

Sorry to break it you Larry,Im service tech for a utility company . Mostly its all based on price not performance or durability. We have several 06 to 09 ford f150 - 550 gas and diesel trucks, from what I see Im not sure thats how I would spend my money no offence to you ford guys.
The new 6.o and 6.4 diesels are a nightmare ,if you have one or want one GET EXTENDED WARRANTY.The old 7.3 were rough noisy and hard starting but very dependable . Most heavy equipment and hwy diesels are based on inline 6cyl configuration.
What do I drive ? A 360 powered Dodge Durango SLT,awsome power fair fuel econmy and trailering capability with room for 4 kids and us as well.

So here is my 'new' rig. Took this over the weekend at Fort Desoto. My wonderful wife, suggested we go to breakfast Saturday morning.......at Trails End. First time I had the Suburban on the highway for any real driving. Got almost 13 MPG, not much different than the 6.0 liter in the F-350. I was hoping for more, but it is a 454. At least it is not diesel for 30 or 40 cents a gallon more.:thumbsup2
250.jpg

Up here that truck would be rusted up to the door handles.

I was concerned about rust when I first saw it. There is some on the frame and elsewhere. I looked it over pretty good, because I bought an old 77 LTD a few years ago, and the body looked great. But the frame and whole under body was heavily rusted. One night the straps on the gas tank broke, due to the rust, and I was dragging the tank down the street. :scared1:

So I crawled under this truck and beat on the frame a little. I didn't want to hook up the TT and have the back end of the truck come off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter