trip tips and comments on the Magic

letsgo

Earning My Ears
It looks like everyone on our ship has posted a report on the board! I'll apologize in advance if I'm redundant...

The cat. 3 staterooms are out of this world! The woodwork, the size, the verandah, just beautiful. My parents (who had the adjoining cat 3 suite) said it was the nicest cabin they ever had, and they've been on some pretty fantastic cruises.

The concierge service is a big joke. Do not plan on receiving the type of treatment you get on other cruise lines with a concierge, because if you do, you will be sorely disappointed. We felt it would have been better if there had been no concierge service at all -- that way we wouldn't have been disappointed.

The kid's club didn't work out for our DD (4 yr. old). Overcrowded on the first two days, it really turned her off and she wouldn't go back. I observed one of the counselors with the kids at Castaway Cay, and I must say she was a bit tyrannical. She kept interrupting the puppet show she was trying to put on to tell one little girl in the front to pay attention. For goodness sakes, this isn't school! Who cares whether kids are paying attention or not, as long as they don't disturb others.

The food really was quite good to excellent. Dining room service outstanding. Animator's Palate was fun, but didn't live up to the hype. Again, better for Disney not to set expectations as high. Room steward attentive but unobtrusive. Just the way we like it. Room service couldn't have been nicer and more efficient. We did breakfast in the room every day.

We blew off Palo's. Part of the reason was because DD didn't like the club... but we could've left her with my parents. We just didn't like the whole attitude that these reservations were so very precious.

The kid's pool was way too crowded, but DD loved it anyway. The burgers on Deck 9 are really good... don't miss them.

We didn't care for the way the adults on board would crowd around the characters, leaving no room for the little kids to see. Several wouldn't even let the little ones slip in, in front of them. I was so offended by this at the final farewell, that I told a cast member they should make an announcement to tell the adults to make room for the kids. Look, I'm a "big kid" at heart, too, but there is a difference between being childlike and being an immature adult. I really have never seen anything quite like this.

If you're going snorkeling, do it at St. Thomas. We tried Orient Beach on St. Marteen and didn't see much of anything -- and then we were too burned out to do it again on St. Thomas. Coral World was fun, however, in a low key, quaint kind of way.

The shows are alll great -- except Hercules. As a professional writer, I can't believe how poorly the show was scripted. It's the only show I'd skip, if we were to do the cruise again.

Which brings me to the best endorsement we can give the Disney Cruise. From the oldest member of our party (80) to the youngest (4) we would absolutely cruise with Disney again. After the cruise, we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge a few days. We paid lotsa $ for park admission, we paid $$$ for meals (not nearly as good as the cruise)... and we realized what a great value a cruise vacation really is!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes to these boards. Your thoughts and comments were so helpful to us -- I hope ours will be helpful to you!

Oh yeah... that over-the-door shoe holder thingie is really great... we didn't use the cooler, except to refrigerate medication... and the banana boat ride on Casaway Cay was wild -- it rivaled the taxi ride on St. Thomas for thrills and speed!!

God bless and have a great vacation!:)

Thanks for the report. Can you tell me what dissapointed you about the concierge? It seems most people who book suites don't even use them. The main reason I want to use the concierge is for reservations on board the ship. I would really appreciate any info.

Hi Letsgo:

I'm sure we passed eachother by many times on Deck 8. I'm glad you enjoyed the Cat 3. My husband wished we'd had it! Some people had some nasty comments about my trip report mostly because I criticized the Oceaneers Club a bit. I only hope this doesn't happen to you!

What other cruise lines have you experienced concierge service?

What did they do on other cruise lines that is different then DCL?

Glad to hear that everyone in your party enjoyed the cruise. We are thinking of doing it with the family for our parents 50th anniversary and the age range will be about the same. Thanks for the report.
Doubletroublemom, I can not understand why people think that they have the right to critisize anyone for their opinions. Everybody is entitled to their own, good bad or indifferent and nobody has the right to tell you how you feel. Sorry some folks were nasty. I am going to read your report now. Looking at your "name", do you have twins? My sister has, b/g, 3 1/2 years old and they are the best.

Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report. We are counting the days until our 10/13 cruise. Each report I read, makes me more excited!

bump....

Still curious what other cruise lines you have sailed with concierge and how it differed from Disney.

we thought the bannana ride was way too much work. we were exhausted from holding on for dear life! we couln't believe we left serenity bay for that!give me that float anyday!!!we went 6/30!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter