Trip Report at last! Back where we belong... *UPDATED* 1-Feb-11 FINALLY FINISHED!

Really enjoying your trip report. I always like to see how newbies like all the different rides and attractions. It must have been great for you to see the three boys see Disney for the first time.

I noticed you did not ride Tower of Terror yet so wait to see if you get to go on this one.

Looking forward to reading more

susan

Thanks for your feedback guys! :thumbsup2 Glad you're enjoying my rambles...

Sorry to say that life has just got in the way of more trippy writing recently, but I'm hoping to get some more posted this weekend!

Vaila
x

Lovely report thus far - anxiously awaiting more (but completely understand how life can get in the way - even when it comes to joyously recreating such a magical time.)

Your older DS reminds me of my own - get him past the big stuff and he'll beg to go again! :)

Thank you all for your lovely comments! :thumbsup2

I feel bad now, not getting anything more written... :sad1:

Was full of intentions at the weekend to get lots more done, but the two DS's had other things they wanted to do at the weekend when they stayed with us, which meant I didn't get any PC time.

DF is having a small operation on his hand this coming Saturday, so I'll be nursemaid and chauffeur for the two weeks after that (he's still going to work, I'll just have to drive him there and home again). I doubt I'll have time with that, and my own work, and all the chores to write more, but I WILL finish it in my Christmas holidays if not before!! :santa:

I'm writing this again! :thumbsup2

It will be finished soon, and the remaining days posted...

So sorry it's taken me so long. My task after this is to sort out the wee movies we took when there, and put them on DVD... Do you think I'll manage that before it's a year since we were there? :rotfl2:

Day 11 – Monday 12th April 2010 – I am Japanese if you please.

I think our first week of military-attack style park touring was catching up on us now, as we all had a much later start than planned today. As always, breakfast in the food court, then back to the room to collect bags, autograph books, pin lanyards, sunglasses, hats, and all the other things we need for a day in the parks, and back for the buses. Today was proper visit number two to Epcot.

The boys were really excited about riding Test Track and Soarin’ again, so our first mission was to get Fastpasses for Soarin’ then check out the wait times for Test Track. The wait times were too long, so we just chilled out until we could get Fastpasses for this too, then rode them both in their Fastpass windows. The boys really loved the Coke shop, and we spent some time in there again, trying all the different types of drinks from around the world, and taking a good look at all the merchandise. We didn’t buy anything, other than the boys buying big frozen drinks.

IMG_3636.jpg

This visit to Epcot was dedicated to exploring the World Showcase, and we spent a lovely time browsing through all the pavilions, taking in the culture, and trying to stop the boys from buying something in every shop! We bought some souvenirs for folks back home, the two DS’s were very good at finding something special for people. The Japan pavilion, however, held a special fascination for DS12. He’d spotted the Kimonos, and all the boys were marveling at how gorgeous they were, when the lovely CM asked if they would like to try one on. Both boys jumped at the chance! They looked very special. DS12 loved his so much, he spent about 3 days allowance on buying it. We did have a huge discussion, and he understood that this meant he wouldn’t have any money to spend for the next two or three days, but he convinced us that he hadn’t seen anything else he wanted more, and that we’d been to all the parks, and that he was budgeting and still had enough to get presents for the rest of the folks back home. Well, you can’t argue with that, and he does now have something very very special to remember his first trip to Walt Disney World.

IMG_3643.jpg

We had ADR’s for Nine Dragons this evening, as I’d been there on a previous trip, and had really enjoyed the food. As always here, the service was impeccable, they were so quick in seating us, the place is spotless, and the waiter was just lovely. From memory, the vegetarian selection on the menu has diminished, but there was still something there I could have. The boys enjoyed their meals too, DS12 being much more adventurous than DS8, all he wanted was pizza... DS12 even had a dessert that even the waiter wasn’t sure he would eat, but he loved it, and cleared his plate. We weren’t rushed in here, and really enjoyed taking our time, sitting in the cool, lots of drinks, and just watching the “World” go by the window!

By this time, the park was starting to fill up for Illuminations, so we made our escape back to Pop Century, took our refillable mugs to get drinks, and stood at the window of our room watching the fireworks in our PJ’s before climbing into bed. A lovely end to the day!

Day 12 – Tuesday 13th April 2010 – How can we be grumpy in Disney?

Today we were up, breakfasted, and organised early, as our DVC tour was scheduled for around 9am, and the van was picking us up from Pop Century. We met our lovely driver, and chatted to him as we got in the van, and all the way to the Saratoga Springs resort. He showed us one of the Treehouse Villas on the way, they’re much bigger than I thought they were!

We checked in at the DVC sales reception, the two DS’s went off to play games for a while, and we sat down with some orange juice to wait for our sales person. I’m afraid to say that I didn’t like him, and although polite to us all the way through our discussions, he was one of the worst people I’ve ever met at Walt Disney World. He got my back up straight away by not sitting down on the sofas with us to introduce himself, he perched on the arm of the sofa opposite so that we had to look up at him, and against the bright light through the windows too. He also didn’t listen to us, and even after asking us where we were from, what our interest in DVC was, we just got the standard script, tailored for the US market, not the UK.

But we persevered, and got taken to one of the individual sales rooms, where we finally got to ask our questions, look at the brochures, and we asked about costs. We made it perfectly clear right from the start, that we weren’t buying today, but really wanted to gather all the information to consider a future purchase. When we said this again in the sales room, the salesman just seemed to switch off completely. It was as if he just couldn’t be bothered to help us at all, if he wasn’t going to get his commission from us that day. He gave us lots of literature, but it didn’t really help with the questions we had. He left the room at one point, and then came back with Disney gift cards, handed them to us and said “that’s what you came for, isn’t it?”. Well, no, actually...

We then got rushed over to see the room sets, which were absolutely gorgeous, and I would have liked to spend as much time in there as the other families and couples were, but our salesman obviously couldn’t wait to get rid of us, and get to his next customers, as he might get some money out of them. I really felt that this was completely the opposite of the Disney way, that although we are all aware of how much money the corporation extracts from us, and all the tricks they use to do that, we still feel like we are special, and all the CM’s go out of their way to make sure you are happy and satisfied. As we went back over to the main building to collect the boys, I was still trying to ask the salesman questions about finance, as I like to know all my options. He dropped the bombshell as he opened the door, that we would need to sort our own finance from the UK, as the DVC people on the phone couldn’t do that unless you were in the US. As I was trying to ask him more about this, he shouted over the top of me to the CM in the games room that we were back to pick up the DS’s, and then said goodbye and walked away... It was a horrible experience, and left a very bad taste with us, and if we ever did think about DVC again, I most certainly wouldn’t be calling him.

A bad start to the morning. We tried to pick things up again, and we got the DVC van to drop us all at Blizzard Beach. Unfortunately although warm, it was a little cloudy today, but that meant that the park wasn’t busy. We found a nice spot under shade, and the two DS’s rushed off to go round the Cross Country Creek on the inner tubes. DF and I read through the DVC literature and tried to make sense of it, but gave up after a while and decided to read it properly once back home.

Eventually the DS’s came back, refused to stand still to let us put sun cream on, and dashed back off to play at the shallow edge of Melt Away Bay. Oh well, I guess DF and I weren’t getting a shot on the Creek then... They were away for a long time, although DF sneakily kept an eye on them from a distance. We guessed they weren’t hungry, so we had a snack and a drink ourselves, and waited for them to eventually make an appearance again. When they did, they were told to dry off and get changed, as it was time to leave. You could have tripped over their bottom lips they were so sulky. We pointed out how long they’d been away, and that DF and I hadn’t had the chance to get in the water at all, as they hadn’t come back to take their turn in looking after the bags. Their turn to be grumpy too!

It was really time to leave, so that we could go back to Pop, get showered and changed, then back to Downtown Disney for our ADR at Planet Hollywood. I had been in here before, and thought the DS’s would like all the movie memorabilia. This turned out to be another wrong move, as they were still grumpy, as were DF and I a little, they were tired, they had got sunburned, and it was very very very noisy in there, and we were squeezed into a table so close to others, despite it not looking that busy... We did, however, enjoy our food in there, although the portion sizes defeated us a little. Well, defeated three of us, DS12 could eat for Scotland and win...

Straight back to Pop after dinner, for lashings of moisturiser and after-sun for the two DS, and a bit of telly for DF and I to chill out and switch off... One grumpy day out of two weeks isn’t too bad I guess...

Day 13 – Wednesday 14th April 2010 – Finding the Magic again.

We planned a later start again for today, leisurely breakfast in the Pop food court, the off on the bus for our second trip to the Magic Kingdom. We were all in a better mood today, although there was quite a bit of moaning about sunburn...

We spent some time exploring Main Street, in and out all of the shops, watching the street entertainment, the vehicles, and the characters, and generally soaking up the atmosphere. This put smiles back on our faces. We didn’t rush at all today, just decided that we would go on our favourite rides if the queues weren’t too long, and not stress about getting on things, as we had managed to complete quite a lot on our first visit the week before. We strolled around, people watching, and rode Pirates again, where everyone thought it was incredibly funny that I screamed because I got wet beside the big pirate ship. We also had a ride on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which is a favourite of all four. Splash Mountain wait time was too long, so we missed this one out.

DSCF0493.jpg

Time now for one of the ADR’s I’d been looking forward to the most, Tony’s Town Square Restaurant. I’ve only eaten in here once before, but loved it so much that I’ve always wanted to go back. It was much busier this time, and so a bit nosiy and chaotic with all the kids, but the food was as good as I remembered. I really enjoyed my meal in here, and although served differently from the last time, the Tiramisu is still the best in my opinion, and trust me, I’ve eaten A LOT of Tiramisu! I think this will definitely be on the ADR list for the next visit. We were stuffed again, and waddled out happy, and headed back up Main Street towards the Castle.

Heading round to Tomorrowland again, we went back on to the Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor, which we all loved. It was a slightly different show the second time, and to our delight, DF was one of the people in the audience who were picked on! We then decided to ride Buzz Lightyear again, and have a go at beating each other on scores. I rode with DF this time, and the two DS’s rode together. The ride stopped a couple of times, I think it may have been to give less mobile participants time to get into the cars. We kept shooting while the ride was stopped, and I managed to actually line my laser up with a target, which is unusual for me, so just kept hitting it! My score leapt up and up, and by the time the ride had got moving again and finished, I had a score of 999,999! The highest you can get! DF said to the CM’s on the way out, and one girl rushed back in to get me a badge with the high score on it! That made my day, I couldn’t keep the smile off my face for the rest of the evening.

IMG_0317.jpg

It was dark now, so we staked out our place in the quickly gathering crowd for Spectromagic and Wishes. We decided to sacrifice a little bit of a view for a less crowded place to stand, and passed the time trying to take pictures of the castle and the park in the dark without them being blurry. DS8 was tired, and was whining a bit, and wanted to go back to the hotel, but we explained that there would be a parade and fireworks, and that the other three of us really wanted to see it, it would be the only chance to see it in this holiday. He was not happy that we were staying, sat down on the ground, and refused to watch most of Spectromagic or any of Wishes. We were a bit far away to get the full effect of Spectromagic, but we saw enough, and we heard all the music. However, we were exactly where we wanted to be for Wishes! Right underneath Tinkerbell as she flies from the Castle! DF swears she smiled and waved at us personally as she passed overhead. Wishes was as wonderful as I had remembered, I hadn’t seen fireworks in the Magic Kingdom since 2001 on my first trip, and just as I had expected it would, it moved me to tears.

IMG_3647.jpg

DSCF0500.jpg

It was a long journey home, by the time we got out of the park with the crowds, and eventually got on a bus, still with a very grumpy DS8, but it had been a much much much better day than the one before. Liberal applications of cream on sunburn and off to sleep.

Day 14 – Thursday 15th April 2010 – I think we’ll be considered Padawans at this rate...

Today was our second visit to DHS, and as we’d done with our other second visits, we gave the military planning a miss, and started the day later, and took things at a more leisurely pace.

Lots of rides in this park which we loved, and wanted to do again, and a few things we didn’t manage to do in our first visit. First on the list was getting Fastpasses for the Rock n Roller Coaster, but there wasn’t much of a queue, so we rode it too! Our Fastpass window turned out to be much later in the day, so we went off in search of other adventures. I was willing to go on the Tower of Terror if any of the others wanted to experience it, I’d been on it a couple of times before, but it is one that I find a bit scary. I scream my head off when in there, but usually come out giggling (and shaking like a leaf). However, none of them were feeling brave, so we bypassed this in favour of Star Tours. Again. I’ve never seen DF walk so fast! We rode it at least once, and spent a very long time browsing round the shop, and buying several t-shirts.

IMG_3657.jpg

At a request next from the two DS’s, we went to see Muppet Vision 3D again, as they’d loved this the last time. DS12 was pointing out to us the holes in the seats where you get wet, but he still jumped when it happened! DF and I had noticed the times for the Jedi Training Academy, and we all headed for that on the off chance that DS8 might get picked to join in. He didn’t, they had all the Padawans they needed for that show, but we stood and watched anyway. It was absolutely side-splittingly funny! We’ve got most of it on recorded on our wee cam-corder, and we still crack up when we watch it. One young male Padawan decided not to follow the moves he’d been taught by the Jedi when Darth Vader appeared, and whacked him between the legs with his lightsaber instead! Along with one of the Storm Troopers having an itch inside his suit, this was one of the funniest things we’d seen our entire trip.

IMG_3662.jpg

As most people were heading away after the Jedi’s had gone back to Tattoine (or wherever they were going), we stayed and watched the end of the parade, which actually looked much better than I had remembered. We wandered back round to the Rock n Roller Coaster next, stopping for a drink, snack, sit down, people watch, and application of sun cream on the way. We rode it again, singing so loud that we almost lost our voices, and then bought half the shop on the way out! We also picked up another set of Fastpasses! DS12 had got over his fear of this one, and was loving it as much as the rest of us.

IMG_3656.jpg

Our ADR today was for somewhere I’d not been, but I thought the boys would like, the Sci-Fi Dine in. We had to wait about 20 minutes for our table, but we got one of the cars, which pleased the DS’s enormously. I found it a bit dark, and the soundtrack to the movie much too loud, but I really really enjoyed my vegetarian meal in there, it was delicious. The DS’s enjoyed theirs too, although I’m not sure DF was as impressed. If we went again, I think I’d ask for a table rather than a car!

We rushed out of there, to take advantage of our final Fastpasses for Rock n Roller Coaster. Despite me being worried, full tummies didn’t seem to make any difference, and we gave the singing all we had, all the way round! (Sorry to the people sitting anywhere near us!). This turned out to be our last ride of the holiday, and what a high note to end on. Having really lost our voices properly this time, we called it a day, and fought our way back through the crowds gathering for Fantasmic, and back to Pop for a drink, to pack our cases as we had to go home tomorrow, and off to bed.

Day 15 – Friday 16th April 2010 – It all goes downhill from here.

We were up early, to finish packing, have breakfast, and check out, then take the hire car to Downtown Disney to the Virgin Atlantic Bag Drop desks as early as we could manage, which was around 8.30am. We had been texted by friends and family back home over the previous couple of days, and warned about airport disruption in the UK from an Icelandic volcano, so we weren’t sure what was happening, but thought we should follow normal plans just in case.

We had planned on dropping bags, and taking in some of our favourite bits of the parks before we had to leave to take the hire car back to the airport, but this wasn’t to happen. Bag drop was closed, because all flights were cancelled back to the UK, as all the UK airspace was affected by the ash cloud. The girls at the Bag Drop were as helpful as they could be, but they didn’t really know any more than that. One of them said to us that they hoped to get an update around 11am, so we trundled our cases back to the car, then mooched around Downtown Disney for the morning. Our enthusiasm for heading back to the parks had vanished. However, we treated ourselves to ice-creams and sundaes at Ghirardellis after buying the last of the souvenirs, then headed back to the girls at the Bag Drop to see if they’d had any more news. Most people there were being told to contact their Virgin rep, or head back to their hotels to see if they could book back in again, but as we were on the Glasgow flight, we were told quietly to head to the airport, as our flight might actually be the only one leaving that day.

With that news, the decision was taken just to go to the airport there and then, as we’d probably get more detailed information from the folks at the check in desks. So... all piled into the hire car, and maps out to head for the airport. We didn’t get lost, we had change for all the tolls, and we even managed to follow the signs for the rental car parking OK, so we were in the terminal building at 1pm, before the check in desks opened! We found a couple of members of Virgin staff, and just checked again if they thought the Glasgow plane would be leaving, as all the information screens were showing all flights cancelled. They said they thought so, but that the check in staff would be out to the desks soon.

We waited around a bit more, then joined the queue for the check in desks when the staff came out. It turned out that the Glasgow plane WAS leaving, but some of the check in staff didn’t know this, and were trying to re-book people onto other flights. But it wasn’t long before we had our bags taken from us, passports checked, and boarding cards issued. Which meant we had a LONG wait for the plane! We checked out the shops, walked around a while in the airport (MCO is actually rather lovely, as airports go), had some drinks and snacks from Starbucks, then found some seats in the atrium and watched the world go by (and checked the departures board regularly), while the DS’s played on their portable games units, until it was time to go through security and off to the gate.

No issues through security, found the gate no problem, and were called for boarding around 45 minutes before departure as usual. On to the plane, everyone seated, cabin crew did their checks, and then we sat there... and sat there...and sat there... 40 minutes later the Captain made an announcement - he had just received his weather reports for the flight plan, and he was sorry to say that the window in the ash cloud had closed again, and without somewhere clear to land, he wasn’t going to take off, so the flight was now cancelled and we’d all have to get off the plane again and collect our luggage!

Oh dear... Oh well, nothing for it, we need to get our bags, speak to the staff at the baggage reclaim, and find somewhere for the night. Maybe we’d get away tomorrow.

The staff handed out lists of hotel phone numbers, and said to keep all receipts, and up to a certain cost per night, the accommodation would be refunded. There was also a letter with two phone numbers, one for Virgin Atlantic customers, and one for Virgin Holidays customers, which unfortunately was a UK number. No chance of getting anyone there at 10pm Orlando time. So we called a hotel, they sent a shuttle bus for us, and another large group of around 8 people, and off we went. This very long day isn’t over yet!

The guy behind check in at the hotel knew what had happened, and what rate we needed, and was helpfully trying to allocate us rooms. It wasn’t until he went to hand us the keys that we realised he’d given us smoking rooms... I didn’t think you could even book rooms like that any more, so it hadn’t crossed my mind to specify! The other big group (who turned out to be one family) had the same issue. So he very helpfully called around a couple of other hotels nearby, and arranged for us to go to one of them, on the same special rate. In the minibus again, and another check in, and again, the guy was very friendly and helpful. So we had a room for two nights (just in case) at the AmeriSuites near the airport.

We staggered to the room, ordered pizza, which took an AGE to come, while we called the Virgin Atlantic number to try to sort flights for the next day. We were on hold for over an hour before someone answered, but they re-booked us onto the flight at the same time the next day, assuming it wasn’t cancelled too. We crashed out in bed after 1am... Rather unhappy people, but glad to have a bed for the night, and hoping that our flight would leave the next day...

Day 16 – Saturday 17th April 2010 – This is looking all very familiar.

We got up when we woke up, didn’t see the point in an early start today, and decided that we would go over to the airport, see what was happening with flights, and get some lunch while we were there. If our flight was leaving, we could come back for the luggage, as the shuttle bus was only minutes away if we called reception.

After the buffet breakfast in the hotel, it was off to the airport again, and as had been the case the day before, all the screens at check in were showing all flights cancelled. There were no staff around to ask, so we waited for a little while, and soon enough someone appeared. We asked about the Glasgow flight, as it had almost gone the day before, and the Virgin guy was lovely, apologised for not getting us away, and said they’d been so close... We told him we’d rather have some inconvenience, than have nowhere to land, and that we were fine. However, the Glasgow flight was also cancelled for today. We’d booked the AmeriSuites for two nights, so we were OK.

We chose Chillis for lunch, as we all fancied burgers, and figured if we ate big for lunch, then drinks and snacks would be OK for dinner, and we could take them back with us from the shops at the airport. Any vegetarians - don’t be put off Chillis by the apparent lack of choice on the menu, they’ll make ANY of their burgers with a veggie burger, and mine was delicious!

Our minibus driver from the AmeriSuites came to pick us up again, and was so incredibly friendly and helpful. He said that all we had to do was ask, and he’d take us to any of the restaurants around locally, or to the supermarket for supplies, or any time we needed to go to the airport, all we had to do was call, or ask at reception. The staff in there were just wonderful, I can’t recommend them highly enough. We met some lovely guests too, one of whom offered us his cabin in the wilderness if we weren’t getting flights for a while!

So, on the phone to Virgin Atlantic again, as it was a US number rather than the UK one, we thought it might be cheaper. This time, it was an hour and a half on hold, then it cut me off... I was gutted. Another hour and a half on hold and I finally managed to speak to someone. She told me the next available flight she could get me on was to Manchester. That’s no problem, we can bus / train / hire car from there, as long as we’re in the UK it doesn’t have to be Glasgow. But this flight wasn’t for another TWO WEEKS..... I think I lost it. I’ve no idea what I said, but I do remember pointing out that we weren’t booking a holiday, we were trying to get HOME and bursting into tears. DF had to take the call, as I just couldn’t cope any more. He spoke for a long time, but the outcome was that we couldn’t get anything any sooner. Unless we wanted to go to Boston. Which we didn’t.

By now it was getting late again, so we tried to get some sleep, and vowed to try to speak to someone better in the morning.

Day 17 – Sunday 18th April 2010 – PLEASE let there be someone who can help.

Buffet breakfast in the hotel again, and we bumped into the family of 8 who had checked in with us when the flight was cancelled. So they hadn’t got home either. They hadn’t had any more luck than us in getting flights, and they were trying to sort out life back home, as one of them was a headmistress! Most of her staff were stuck all over the globe, so she had a nightmare to organise cover for her school.

Determination set in, and we sat on the bed in our room, calling all the other numbers which were in the letter we’d been given the first night, including the UK Virgin Holidays one, but couldn’t get an answer there, it was just the recorded answering service asking you what type of holiday you wanted to book! I raked through every piece of paperwork I’d brought with me, all the stuff I’d printed off the web, and all the Virgin literature, and somewhere in there I found a US number for Virgin Holidays. In for a penny, in for a pound, we tried that. It turned out to be another holiday-selling call centre, but the lady there was wonderful, and gave us two local Florida numbers to try to get hold of a rep. One of them worked!!! YEEEE HAAAA!! Another amazing lady on the other end told us not to worry, to pack up all our things, and take a taxi to the Quality Inn on International Drive, as that was where a lot of the people on our flight had been sent, and that the Virgin reps had been worried that they didn’t know where we were, being the only family from the passenger list they hadn’t been able to contact. They had thought we might have gone back to Pop Century, until we pointed out the list we’d been given, and been told to choose one of the hotels from that. But what a relief to know that we weren’t on our own, that someone was looking after us, and that all the stops were being pulled out to get everyone stuck (not just our flight) home as soon as they possibly could.

I think I may have burst into tears again, but this time happy ones!

We packed up, ordered the taxi, and made a point of giving the other family of 8 the number we’d called. As far as I know, they made contact, and were looked after too. We said our thank you’s and cheerios to the reception and mini bus guys, and off we went to International Drive. In the rain!! The first we’d seen in our whole holiday.

The folks at the Quality Inn were great too, we checked in, got a nice room, and got vouchers to use in the buffet for breakfast and dinner each day, to get us a discount. We were still having to pay for everything, and keep the receipts, so thank heavens for credit cards! There was a small shop on site where we got snacks and drinks for lunch. The rest of the day was spent trying to stop the DS’s from fighting, explaining to DS8 that we all wanted to go home too, but couldn’t, and calling our Holiday Insurance to let them know our situation. Having not had much sleep the past two nights, we crashed out early, not long after dinner.

Day 18 – Monday 19th April 2010 – A rollercoaster of a different kind

After the buffet breakfast, we met with the Virgin rep, who visited the hotel every morning. He didn’t have any news on flights, but promised us that we would be contacted if anything was to happen, and not to worry as they knew where we were, and we wouldn’t get forgotten about. We chatted to him for a while, and learned just how massive the volume of stranded passengers was in Florida alone, never mind worldwide. Virgin were busting a gut behind the scenes to repatriate as many people as quickly as they could. Apparently they had even stopped all new ticket sales until everyone who was stranded had been taken home, which could take weeks...

So... looked like we were here for a while. Need to do some laundry then! We got lots of laundry tokens, packets of powder, and waited in the queues for washers and dryers, as many people had had the same idea. The boys were watching TV and playing games, as it was raining even harder today than it had yesterday, if that was at all possible.

Mid way wash number 2, just after a snack lunch, my mobile rang. A nice Virgin lady telling me to pack up, check out, and be waiting in reception pretty soon for a coach to the airport, the Glasgow flight was back on! Help! Wet washing was packed into plastic bags, and shoved into cases the best we could, DS’s were rounded up, and we ran through the torrential rain to reception, checked out, and waited for the rep. He spoke to us not long later, and was trying to round up some other guests who had headed out for the day. (As an aside, I was stunned by the generosity of the Florida people to those of us stranded. We heard reports of people offering spare beds in their homes, we got discounts throughout the hotel, and all of the parks had offered to let people in for free, if they were stranded and their tickets had expired. Very humbling.) We’d been standing there about 10 minutes when DF remembered that we’d put clothes in the dryer that we hadn’t collected in our rush to pack!! He and DS12 dashed off to rescue our forgotten clothes, and we managed to squash them into our cases somehow. Phew!

Once everyone had been accounted for (some people had 5 minutes to pack), we all waited for the coach to appear. Our stated time of departure came and went, but no coach. The rep was on his mobile for ages... Eventually he called us all outside for an announcement. He was very sorry, but the Glasgow flight had been cancelled yet again! Could we all check back in, and he would be there as usual the next morning, hopefully with some more information.

Sigh! Fourth time lucky maybe? We checked back in, and were given the same room, as we’d only left it about an hour previously! We dragged out all the damp clothes, and continued where we’d left off, trying to wash and dry as much as we could. The evening was still very wet, so we had dinner, and watched some TV before crashing out early again. This emotional rollercoaster was more exhausting than the fun kind.

Day 19 – Tuesday 20th April 2010 – Settling back in again

We woke this morning, feeling quite relaxed and refreshed surprisingly. We had our buffet breakfast, and since the sun was shining again, and it was lovely and hot, decided that a day by the pool at the hotel was in order. We hung some of the still damp clothes around whatever we could find in the room to dry a bit better, changed into swim stuff, grabbed drinks, books, and sun cream, and staked our claim on some sun loungers. DF went into the pool for a while with the two DS, then lay beside me in the sun, while I read my book. The two DS were having a fun time in the pool, with all the toys and balls in there, and the other kids. Life was happy again. We thought that we wouldn’t mind waiting for a flight like this, we could have been A LOT worse off! As long as we watched our expenditure we’d be OK, and we might even try for the free day in one of the parks if we knew that our flight home wasn’t going to be for some time.

Having settled and relaxed again, we were a little surprised when the Virgin rep came to speak to us by the pool. Again, we were to pack, check out, and wait in reception for a coach to the airport, the Glasgow flight was trying to leave again. That was great, but what about all the other people who were stuck? Should some of them not be ahead of us for a flight home? Apparently, because we had cleared immigration, and had actually been on the plane before it got cancelled the first time, our green cards had been taken from our passports, and technically we really shouldn’t still be in the US without them, so they were trying to get us away as soon as they could! Ahhh, that makes sense.

So, off we trooped again, we had more time to pack this time, so things were packed properly, and we didn’t leave anything in the dryers! Our luck seemed to be holding out, as the coach arrived, we all got on, and headed off to the airport. Again, luck holding, check in for the Glasgow flight was open! After quite a while in the queue, our turn came, and we weighed our bags, and waited for boarding cards... our check in lady then waited to speak to a supervisor... then tried to check us in again... then spoke to the supervisor again... then made a phone call and waited on hold for a long time. Meanwhile everyone around us was checking in fine, and getting their boarding cards. I was getting VERY worried by this point that we weren’t going to get on this plane, and would have to wait weeks for another one. Not too much of a hardship in sunny Florida, but the credit card wouldn’t last forever, and the two DS’s were getting very grumpy at not being able to get home.

Eventually the check in lady spoke to the person on the phone... and tried again to check us in... spoke to another supervisor... phoned again... and then I got up the courage to ask what the problem was. Remember the night I’d lost it with the girl on the phone, trying to book us a flight home, and she’d said the only one available was Manchester in two weeks time? Well, we’d said to her not to do anything, but she’d booked us on that flight. Now Virgin had stopped all new ticket sales, which had security locked some of the processes the check in staff had to use to re-book passengers onto different flights. All the other passengers were still registered on the original Glasgow flight, so had no problems, but we had been moved to that other flight to Manchester... Groan! What next! The check in lady was having to ask the supervisors, and phone the call centre to get us moved back to our proper flight. Tense wasn’t the word.

Luck must have still been smiling on us though, because almost the last passengers away from the check in desks, we got our boarding cards for the flight! YAY! Straight through security to the gate area, a quick meal from Nathan’s as they weren’t sure what food was going to be on the plane, as it had sat there for a few days, and we were boarding again. Having been here before, we weren’t going to relax until that thing was actually in the air. We took off a bit later than scheduled, but we had a flight plan, and the weather reports said that if we took a roundabout route to Glasgow airport, we would be able to land.

We spent the whole flight waiting for the Captain to announce that we had to land somewhere else as plans had changed, but that announcement never came. We did take a bit of a roundabout route to duck under the ash cloud, but a bit late, we touched down at Glasgow airport, to raucous cheers, a round of applause, and lots of tears!

After passport control, baggage claim, and customs, we emerged into the arrivals hall to be met by journalists and cameras, it was the first International flight to land at Glasgow since the airspace had first been closed due to the ash. It was a bright, sunny morning, bitterly cold, but we were very happy to be home.

It had been a very strange end to the holiday, and almost overshadowed all the wonderful experiences and fun we’d had for the preceding two weeks. However, it won’t stop me going again, and I wouldn’t hesitate to book again with Virgin Holidays, they looked after us all wonderfully. Especially when I got back to work, and heard some of the horror stories some of my colleagues went through trying to get home from their trips abroad. Roll on 2012 or 2013 for our honeymoon! Let the planning begin...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Really enjoyed your reports. That must have been hectic getting stuck there but sounds as though you handled it well :)

What a nightmare for you :hug: I know when the ash cloud happened , we joked saying 'we wouldn't mind being stuck in Florida'. In reality though, it must have been soul destroying not knowing when you were getting home or where you were sleeping that night.

Glad it hasn't put you off going back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter