Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The liability policy reminds me of uninsured motorist insurance. Yes, you are supposed to have it. Yes, you sign a statement that you have it when you get your license plates. Now how many of you have been in accidents where after the dust settles you come to find out the other party is uninsured? Another issue is how helpful is Disney going to be if someone ends up with a serious dog bite. They only have onsite first aid in the parks for minor issues. People will not only sue for medical care for the bite but also for lost/interupted vacation expenses as well.

I understand what you are saying. But the fact remains. If people with dogs are not required to prebook, dogs can and will be placed in which ever room categories people have booked.

Correct, but that's far from "any room in the resort". They have a small number of specific locations designated to cover any potential situation of needing to accommodate a dog in room categories other than Standard/Garden/Pool View (Pool View is available in 24 too by the way, as are a couple of King Bed rooms).

Floorplan-POR-AlligatorBayou-24.png

I've seen the large crates you speak of. However, the ease of lifting it is greatly improved if the St Bernard is NOT sitting inside it. ;)

And as they are stating this is partly for transportation of dogs in an emergency, I can't see having a dog in a huge uncarryable cage would help in any way at all.

Andre

I posted this on a different “dog” thread and wanted to share why I agree with U 100%!!!!

I planned on starting a new thread explaining what has led to my conclusion of why my family WILL NOT be staying @ dog friendly resorts but my attempt was unsuccessful. I’am assuming bc I’m so new to forum; However, thought it was very important to share my story so here it goes.

Yesterday evening my sweet, innocent 3y/o daughter was attacked by a dog in which we are VERY familiar with and happens to live next door w/ my sweet neighbors. I, as a middle aged woman, have never witnessed a dog attack neither my husband and now that I have, I hope to NEVER experience or put ANY of ur children at risk of experiencing EVER!!!

The scene itself was witnessed by neutral individuals while my daughter and I prepped our front yard for Fall. She was helping me place flowers n the spots a 3 year old would consider “perfect” and enjoying seeing kids get off the bus as they returned from school when all of the sudden a dog comes running out from somewhere (I cannot recall bc it happened so fast) and launches towards her face and bites North to South puncturing her face while narrowly missing her eye. I’am the 1st to admit my children are far from perfect, but regarding this particular incident, the dog is 100% @ fault. We spent the entire night n the hospital. Plastics attended to her face, sutured it up, and we are now on the road to healing and recovery. We feel very blessed her injuries weren’t any worse; however, the the next child may not be so fortunate! The surgeon reiterated how extremely lucky Elle was that she did not lose her eye.

My family LOVES animals! We are pet owners. I was truly up n the air regarding the whole controversy surrounding “pet-friendly” resorts but now, not so much! I will OPPOSE Disney’s plans from this day forward.

Additionally, the dog responsible for her wounds is a medium sized weenie dog that escaped its owner for a only a split second! I’am trying to post 2 photos but no idea what to do and what I’m doing is not working. These children are going to the “happiest place on Earth” and to even think twice about how this could happen to any of them at Disney, a place they fill is perfect, is 1 to many times.

Kindest regards☺️

Correct, but that's far from "any room in the resort". They have a small number of specific locations designated to cover any potential situation of needing to accommodate a dog in room categories other than Standard/Garden/Pool View (Pool View is available in 24 too by the way, as are a couple of King Bed rooms).

So guests could also be placed in Riverview rooms, Preferred rooms and Royal rooms with their dogs if they have booked those categories. And now it seems they've set aside some rooms in these categories to cover that need. Is the general public privy to these other specific locations? Cuz they should be, so they can make an informed decision on what buildings to request.

I would be more accepting of this policy if it was a bookable category in one building. What's going to happen when someone checks in with their dog, is told they are in building 24 and they say, no. Do you have anything closer to the Mansions, or the bridge, etc.... Are the CM's at the front desk going to say, sorry, you have to stay in building 24? Or will they try to accomodate a move to a different location for guests with dogs as they do with everyone who checks in. As it stands right now, people can pretty much be placed in any location with their dog.

The liability policy reminds me of uninsured motorist insurance. Yes, you are supposed to have it. Yes, you sign a statement that you have it when you get your license plates. Now how many of you have been in accidents where after the dust settles you come to find out the other party is uninsured? Another issue is how helpful is Disney going to be if someone ends up with a serious dog bite. They only have onsite first aid in the parks for minor issues. People will not only sue for medical care for the bite but also for lost/interupted vacation expenses as well.

Bodily injury coverage is not mandatory in Florida. All people are required to carry is PIP and property damage. Uninsured / underinsured motorist isn't mandatory in Florida either. We have terrible laws in Florida when it comes to auto coverage and a lot of unsuspecting tourtist really get screwed in auto accidents. I understand the point of your analogy though.

Disney may or may not be helpful if there's a dog bite on the premises, but under Florida law, its relatively easy to be held liable for a dog bite on the premises. I expect there will be multiple insurance claims on their policy. Disney's lack of breed and size restrictions is surprising (from a liability angle)-there's case law about creating a risk by allowing certain types of dogs into certain areas of hotels.

I posted this on a different “dog” thread and wanted to share why I agree with U 100%!!!!

I planned on starting a new thread explaining what has led to my conclusion of why my family WILL NOT be staying @ dog friendly resorts but my attempt was unsuccessful. I’am assuming bc I’m so new to forum; However, thought it was very important to share my story so here it goes.

Yesterday evening my sweet, innocent 3y/o daughter was attacked by a dog in which we are VERY familiar with and happens to live next door w/ my sweet neighbors. I, as a middle aged woman, have never witnessed a dog attack neither my husband and now that I have, I hope to NEVER experience or put ANY of ur children at risk of experiencing EVER!!!

The scene itself was witnessed by neutral individuals while my daughter and I prepped our front yard for Fall. She was helping me place flowers n the spots a 3 year old would consider “perfect” and enjoying seeing kids get off the bus as they returned from school when all of the sudden a dog comes running out from somewhere (I cannot recall bc it happened so fast) and launches towards her face and bites North to South puncturing her face while narrowly missing her eye. I’am the 1st to admit my children are far from perfect, but regarding this particular incident, the dog is 100% @ fault. We spent the entire night n the hospital. Plastics attended to her face, sutured it up, and we are now on the road to healing and recovery. We feel very blessed her injuries weren’t any worse; however, the the next child may not be so fortunate! The surgeon reiterated how extremely lucky Elle was that she did not lose her eye.

My family LOVES animals! We are pet owners. I was truly up n the air regarding the whole controversy surrounding “pet-friendly” resorts but now, not so much! I will OPPOSE Disney’s plans from this day forward.

Additionally, the dog responsible for her wounds is a medium sized weenie dog that escaped its owner for a only a split second! I’am trying to post 2 photos but no idea what to do and what I’m doing is not working. These children are going to the “happiest place on Earth” and to even think twice about how this could happen to any of them at Disney, a place they fill is perfect, is 1 to many times.

Kindest regards☺️

Poor baby, I hope healing goes well and quickly. I see a lot hugging in your future.

Although I was thinking of a dog biting wasn't high on my list , I could very easily see a dog gets loose for a second takes off for little Jimmies chicken nuggets. I know dogs aren't allowed in food courts, but how many times do we eat and then the child continues eating their food rolling along in their stroller?

Poor baby, I hope healing goes well and quickly. I see a lot hugging in your future.

Although I was thinking of a dog biting wasn't high on my list , I could very easily see a dog gets loose for a second takes off for little Jimmies chicken nuggets. I know dogs aren't allowed in food courts, but how many times do we eat and then the child continues eating their food rolling along in their stroller?

Absolutely. I think n my case what stunned our particular friends and family the most is this type of breed might b known more for barking, trying to snap at ankles or even growl at a child advancing into their personal space but, it is not known as a dog that launches at a knelling child’s face. I wish I could post my pictures. I truly believe u will all b shocked!

Unfortunately, we are not guaranteed when we remove a child or animal out of their environment how they will react.

The usual procedure for medical emergencies at Disney resorts is to contact RCFD.

Reedy Creek Fire and Rescue Department Emergency Medical service providing services to Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Resorts

On several visits to YC/BC, I have seen EMTs and paramedics attend to guests needing medical attention.

Kindest regards☺️

I'm so sorry that your daughter experienced that - it must have been terrifying for all of you. I hope she is on the mend and heals quickly.

So guests could also be placed in Riverview rooms, Preferred rooms and Royal rooms with their dogs if they have booked those categories. And now it seems they've set aside some rooms in these categories to cover that need. Is the general public privy to these other specific locations? Cuz they should be, so they can make an informed decision on what buildings to request.

I would be more accepting of this policy if it was a bookable category in one building. What's going to happen when someone checks in with their dog, is told they are in building 24 and they say, no. Do you have anything closer to the Mansions, or the bridge, etc.... Are the CM's at the front desk going to say, sorry, you have to stay in building 24? Or will they try to accomodate a move to a different location for guests with dogs as they do with everyone who checks in. As it stands right now, people can pretty much be placed in any location with their dog.

Really, are people trying to deliberately misunderstand? Or am I perhaps just not typing clearly? Let's try again...

NO, Port Orleans Riverside guests will NOT be placed in "pretty much any location with their dog". From the start of the trial, rooms at Riverside were intended to be blocked out in buildings 15, 24, and in one end-wing each of 80 and 95, to allow dogs to accompany guests who had reserved any of the resort's ten booking categories - although personally I feel that regular River View is a bit of a stretch from those designated areas. These locations were aimed to be away from most of the guest flow (#15 being the most isolated of the Preferred Location options) and even if every single room in those four locations was filled with dogs (highly unlikely) it would only amount to 192 fairly remote rooms out of a total of 2,048 (i.e. less than 10% of the resort's capacity).

Since the whole internet furore exploded last week, Disney has pulled this back even further, now aiming to only accommodate dogs within the most remote building 24, and in Standard and Garden View booking categories only going forward (approx 38 possible rooms, or less than 2% of the resort's capacity). However from the way they launched this program and worded the initial announcements it would now be difficult from a guest service point to view to refuse a guest who had prebooked a different room category and has now turned up at the front desk with a dog. Yes, this should all have been thought out in more detail in advance, with a much longer notice period to allow bookings to be made more specifically, but they didn't and are now trying to deal with the consequences. Personally I agree that they urgently need to update the relevant website booking pages, and the information supplied to Travel Agents, to indicate that dogs will only be accommodated in future Standard and Garden View bookings, but knowing Disney that will take time.

As always, guests should not be requesting specific building or room numbers anyway, but rather requesting WHAT they want from a room location - in this case "away from dog-friendly areas", which is pretty easy to accommodate in the remaining 90%+ of the resort.

My bigger concern from a policy and communication point of view is the apparent disconnect between what relatively senior guest relations staff are informing guests about where dogs will be allowed to move within the resort, and what resort staff (and again I'm talking about senior management level here, not just front desk CMs) are being asked to implement. Phone calls to guests in response to emails sent to WDW bosses seem to be reassuring concerned guests that dogs will not be allowed in ANY common areas or general pathways other than between rooms and the pet exercise area. However on the ground there is no such expectation as far as I can tell, and leashed dogs are seemingly going to be allowed in most sections other than food & beverage locations and within fenced pool areas. I make no claims as to which is right, appropriate, or even which one is going to be the eventual Disney policy, but there does need to be some joined-up thinking going on above the individual resort level on this one.

Andre

That must have been horrifying. I hope your daughter heals nicely. I'm sure that this will be on your mind for a long time. Our nine year old grandson was severely bitten by my sister's dog right in our living room. She had brought her "new dog" over to meet the kids and no one expected the vicious attack when they came in the door. That dog is banned for life from our house. It still upsets me to think of it.

Really, are people trying to deliberately misunderstand? Or am I perhaps just not typing clearly? Let's try again...

NO, Port Orleans Riverside guests will NOT be placed in "pretty much any location with their dog". From the start of the trial, rooms at Riverside were intended to be blocked out in buildings 15, 24, and in one end-wing each of 80 and 95, to allow dogs to accompany guests who had reserved any of the resort's ten booking categories - although personally I feel that regular River View is a bit of a stretch from those designated areas. These locations were aimed to be away from most of the guest flow (#15 being the most isolated of the Preferred Location options) and even if every single room in those four locations was filled with dogs (highly unlikely) it would only amount to 192 fairly remote rooms out of a total of 2,048 (i.e. less than 10% of the resort's capacity).

Since the whole internet furore exploded last week, Disney has pulled this back even further, now aiming to only accommodate dogs within the most remote building 24, and in Standard and Garden View booking categories only going forward (approx 38 possible rooms, or less than 2% of the resort's capacity). However from the way they launched this program and worded the initial announcements it would now be difficult from a guest service point to view to refuse a guest who had prebooked a different room category and has now turned up at the front desk with a dog. Yes, this should all have been thought out in more detail in advance, with a much longer notice period to allow bookings to be made more specifically, but they didn't and are now trying to deal with the consequences. Personally I agree that they urgently need to update the relevant website booking pages, and the information supplied to Travel Agents, to indicate that dogs will only be accommodated in future Standard and Garden View bookings, but knowing Disney that will take time.

As always, guests should not be requesting specific building or room numbers anyway, but rather requesting WHAT they want from a room location - in this case "away from dog-friendly areas", which is pretty easy to accommodate in the remaining 90%+ of the resort.

My bigger concern from a policy and communication point of view is the apparent disconnect between what relatively senior guest relations staff are informing guests about where dogs will be allowed to move within the resort, and what resort staff (and again I'm talking about senior management level here, not just front desk CMs) are being asked to implement. Phone calls to guests in response to emails sent to WDW bosses seem to be reassuring concerned guests that dogs will not be allowed in ANY common areas or general pathways other than between rooms and the pet exercise area. However on the ground there is no such expectation as far as I can tell, and leashed dogs are seemingly going to be allowed in most sections other than food & beverage locations and within fenced pool areas. I make no claims as to which is right, appropriate, or even which one is going to be the eventual Disney policy, but there does need to be some joined-up thinking going on above the individual resort level on this one.

Andre

Deliberately misunderstanding or are so firm on their stance that dogs are the worst idea ever that they dont even WANT to change their minds. I've seen it a bunch of times on this thread for varying topics and I don't understand it. And for the millionth time I'll say...they would rather be told their stance is right than be reassured, by posters and by Disney, that everything will be okay and they will enjoy their vacation. I have zero doubt if Disney changed it from dogs being allowed in the room alone for 7 hours to being alone for 1 hour people would still complain. Zero doubt at all.

It's really not like UM/UIM (uninsured/underinsured) coverage at all. Besides there are multiple states where the coverage is listed as required but can be rejected with a waiver.

Please understand that with 50 states in the U.S. not all have the same laws nor in fact the same coverages. For example some states have MED Pay other states have PIP, some have both. Some states have work loss benefits and other states do not. And there will be times where you will be in an accident with someone who has uninsured but is underinsured for the accident.

Bodily injury coverage is not mandatory in Florida. All people are required to carry is PIP and property damage. Uninsured / underinsured motorist isn't mandatory in Florida either. We have terrible laws in Florida when it comes to auto coverage and a lot of unsuspecting tourtist really get screwed in auto accidents. I understand the point of your analogy though.
The no BI requirement as well as other things is actually why the insurance company I worked for refused to write business in FL. Their non-standard company (designed for higher risk individuals) was written instead.

Oh wow. I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter! And to you, as well--nobody wants to ever have to see an attack like that, least of all to their loved ones. I hope your daughter heals quickly! Thank you for sharing your story.

The no BI requirement as well as other things is actually why the insurance company I worked for refused to write business in FL. Their non-standard company (designed for higher risk individuals) was written instead.

That's not surprising. I recently went to a CLE and learned that something around 25 percent of that state is driving around without BI. Most people don't know what's on their policy until they're in an accident. Then they're shocked to find out that they don't have enough or any coverage.

I had to rent a car recently. I was offered "full coverage" auto insurance with it. As a test, I asked the girl to explain the limits of liability, UIM/UM, etc. She had no idea what I was talking about. I think this is a common issue down here. No one knows what's on their policy and they assume they're fully covered because that's the term agents are trained to use.

Now, as an aside,if a Florida rental car causes bodily injuries in an accident, state law mandates that the self insured company provide 10k per person,20k person accident.

Andre

No. Not at all. And really? I find that comment a bit rude and unnecessary. I'm just trying to keep up and understand.

What was said initially seems to have been dogs being allowed in certain buildings around the resort. Then it was changed to primarily building 24. Now it's building 24 but depending on booking categories, possibly back to those other buildings for the time being. What I'm trying to understand is going forward, if people with dogs are only supposed to be booking standard/garden rooms, what will they do when people who book other room categories just show up with their dogs if it's not a bookable category? I know that nobody really knows the answer to this right now. But that's what I'm thinking about.

Last edited:
Deliberately misunderstanding or are so firm on their stance that dogs are the worst idea ever that they dont even WANT to change their minds. I've seen it a bunch of times on this thread for varying topics and I don't understand it. And for the millionth time I'll say...they would rather be told their stance is right than be reassured, by posters and by Disney, that everything will be okay and they will enjoy their vacation. I have zero doubt if Disney changed it from dogs being allowed in the room alone for 7 hours to being alone for 1 hour people would still complain. Zero doubt at all.

Absolutely. That would be me. I don't want dogs at the resorts. Period.

I'm not going to change my mind. For me, it has nothing to do with deliberate misunderstandings though or being right or wrong. I know this is happening. I hope it doesn't expand to other resorts. I am trying to understand so I can make an informed decision about where I will stay moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!