Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering that myself. The MagicBands do offer tracking of guest activity (where are you eating, what are you riding, are you buying merchandise etc)...so it wouldn’t be outside the realm of possibilities that it can track when you enter a resort room. Though not sure how it could track when you leave.
Your magic band and or KTTW card. When you sign the waiver and they assign you the room you are suppose to put the Do Not Disturb card on the door when you leave. I assume housekeeping will make a note on their work sheet. One thought occurred to me....if you are there with your dog, no DND card on the door, and housekeeping knocks, you answer....that is when a dog could get loose if not restrained. Make sure that card is on the door!
So does that mean that people with dogs are not allowed to have more than one magic band? That way the band won't be left in the room. And they are not allowed to leave the DND sign on while they dress or sleep?

That plan doesn't seem very well thought out.

So does that mean that people with dogs are not allowed to have more than one magic band? That way the band won't be left in the room. And they are not allowed to leave the DND sign on while they dress or sleep?

How could Disney even tell you you can't have more than one band!? That's been a major marketing of theirs. Plus people bring bands from previous trips with them to current ones. We know eventually the RFID part that gets you the PhotoPass pictures stops working after a while but it can still be used for park access.

How could Disney even tell you you can't have more than one band!? That's been a major marketing of theirs. Plus people bring bands from previous trips with them to current ones. We know eventually the RFID part that gets you the PhotoPass pictures stops working after a while but it can still be used for park access.
Well, that is my point.

They can't use magic bands to be sure that they room is empty or not.

For us, our room would never be empty. I always leave a few bands in the room.

Good question. I guess they will have to go on what they know or housekeeping notes? He said they know.
It's one large component that I think so many of us are pondering (regardless of whatever lord lovin' side your on-my exasperation of dealing with 'sides' is showing through :) ).

For instance my husband and I go to Disney Springs. Perhaps we're out on a long shopping day. We leave one MB in the room and only take one. How do you know just by using RFID who is actually in the room or not? Or Perhaps we went out to Universal for the day we would take just one MB and leave the other in the room. Plus the multiple MBs people do use on their trips.

If the door locks are RFID transmitters and receivers then all they need is to track the bands going in and out. They probably have the capability of tracking when the door is opened and closed. And don't forget they have an old fashioned method - cameras in the hall. I've heard they can track the housekeepers so they know how long they spend in the room.

It's one large component that I think so many of us are pondering (regardless of whatever lord lovin' side your on-my exasperation of dealing with 'sides' is showing through :) ).

For instance my husband and I go to Disney Springs. Perhaps we're out on a long shopping day. We leave one MB in the room and only take one. How do you know just by using RFID who is actually in the room or not? Or Perhaps we went out to Universal for the day we would take just one MB and leave the other in the room. Plus the multiple MBs people do use on their trips.
I would think it doesn't have anything to do with bands in the room but using the band to get into your room. Maybe the person signing the waiver will be able to answer that.

I’m trying to figure out why it matters if a dog owner is in the room.
I *think* it's more about the 7 hr aspect. If the dog was barking and the owner was in the room than the issue becomes dealing with a barking dog. If no owner is present for more than 7 hours then you've got 2 issues-a barking dog and an owner who failed to comply with the time limit. Either way you're dealing with a barking dog. I think peeps are just wondering how they are going to figure out that the dog has been left attended since Disney decided to use a time limit.

I would think it doesn't have anything to do with bands in the room but using the band to get into your room. Maybe the person signing the waiver will be able to answer that.
Could be that the signee would be able to answer it. But it would sound strange that Disney would say under no circumstances can you use any other MB than just this one to open the door.

I couldn't tell you how many times one of us forgot our MBs before going out to the parks and luckily it wasn't both of us at the same time.

Could be that the signee would be able to answer it. But it would sound strange that Disney would say under no circumstances can you use any other MB than just this one to open the door.

I couldn't tell you how many times one of us forgot our MBs before going out to the parks and luckily it wasn't both of us at the same time.
Yeah...and one time we couldn't get in the room because the battery on the "lock" was dead. Took them awhile to come out and replace it.

My understanding of the bands it doesn't matter if you have more than 1. All the reservation info, etc is not ON the band it's self.

I don't know how many rooms will be dog friendly, but I do know that the probability of TWENTY of them congregating in one place and blocking the entrance to a food court so your family has to might come too close enough to be licked is ridiculously LOW.

I do agree with this. I would not be able to occupy a room that was previously occupied by dogs, plain and simple. I know that because I am allergic to dogs (yes! People allergic to dogs really exist!). For this reason, I will avoid pet-friendly hotels. But, I really don't think that this trial run will show many many people now bringing their dogs to WDW, especially not in the first few months as people will have already been planning for these trips and are not likely to make major changes such as bringing the dog at this point. As I previously stated, it's just not a vacation very suited for animals, and I guess that most dog owners would have to realize that. I do think there is too much exaggeration on this thread. I will deal with the issue with management if/when it becomes a reality and affects me. I refuse to bombard employees and executives with multiple "what-if" scenarios.

If the door locks are RFID transmitters and receivers then all they need is to track the bands going in and out. They probably have the capability of tracking when the door is opened and closed. And don't forget they have an old fashioned method - cameras in the hall. I've heard they can track the housekeepers so they know how long they spend in the room.
I think we know the tracking part it's that logistically speaking because each member is given a MB included in their resort stay, each person is able to bring an old MB with them on their resort stay and each person is able to purchase a MB to use during their resort stay how do they actually keep track that there isn't a person in the room just by using the MB to either track with RFID or by opening the door. Opening the door does nothing in actually counting who is in the room or not in the room. I honestly don't know about cameras, though it did cross my mind, but I would think that Disney would need to really consider if tracking all their guests in all their rooms via camera for the reason of clocking how long it's been since the entire party left the room is the better method.

I *think* it's more about the 7 hr aspect. If the dog was barking and the owner was in the room than the issue becomes dealing with a barking dog. If no owner is present for more than 7 hours then you've got 2 issues-a barking dog and an owner who failed to comply with the time limit. Either way you're dealing with a barking dog. I think peeps are just wondering how they are going to figure out that the dog has been left attended since Disney decided to use a time limit.
Thank you. That makes sense, I guess.

My 8 year old as well. When I told him dogs were going to be at the YC, he got upset. Thankfully we were able to move to BC due to a helpful CM. Hopefully the dogs do indeed stay away from the BC and the common shared facilities.

I won't even tell my 9 year old as he'd likely have an anxiety attack. We just did some door to door sales for his Cub Scouts last night and every time he heard a dog bark he turned around and practically begged me to leave. Only one dog came outside and had any contact with us and she was super calm and friendly but he about jumped out of his skin every time she came close to him.

He and I are staying at Pop in a few weeks so it won't effect this trip. Still watching developments before we book our next family trip as the plan was for POR.

I think that many of us (dog owners and non-dog owners alike) have a lot of experience with dogs in our daily lives, and that can contribute to opinions. I know it's contributing to mine.

This morning my DH and I were talking about this thread and the dogs/owners in our neighborhood (we're former dog owners). There are 10 houses, 6 with one or more dogs. We decided there's a pretty full range of dog behavior, as well as levels of behavior management skills in their owners, from the excellent, to the seems good but not a lot of data, to the loving but unable to control owner/poorly mannered but lovable dog, to a mildly inconsiderate owner (presents in front of the house), to the owners with aggressive dogs. I understand it's a small sample. I also see that range, some examples more frequently than others but all, in my town as I go about my day. I have no idea how widespread utilization of this will be, or who will choose to bring his/her dog, or if they will be following the rules, but I know the range that I see every day and since I'm locked into my trip, in order to make the best of things I have to consider it.

Just two hours ago, I was reading this thread and then I tried to leave to pick up my son for an appointment. There was a woman trying to walk her goldie, and a loose dog was being aggressive to the goldie. They were partially in my yard, blocking my egress because they were in the entrance to my fence. I then recognized the loose dog as my next door neighbor's. This dog is aggressive to me and my family on a daily basis, but he's usually in the house or yard, and he does know me. I felt like I had to help the woman, since I know the dog and I didn't want any involved to get hurt, but was trying to stay out of the dog fight. The owner came out but couldn't get it under control. Eventually, we got the dog back in the house. During my efforts, you guessed it...I stepped in dog poop in front of my house left by probably the inconsiderate owner two doors down. I thought you might appreciate the irony in this story, @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson ! Thankfully, I could throw on a pair of extra shoes so I wasn't late for my appointment!

Whew! I finally caught up to the end of this thread!

My thoughts: I'm definitely not a dog person, nor is my husband. We have mild dog allergies. But, aside from that, we just don't chose to have dogs in our life. The fact that I don't like dogs is not something I usually admit out loud to friends, family. We know so many people with dogs and I feel like I'm insulting them if I say I don't like your furry member of the family. When visiting friends and family with dogs we typically just grin and tolerate it, and find a non-hairy hard surface to sit on. :rotfl:

The bottom line for me is that I don't want to stay in a room that someone's pet has occupied. I don't chose to live with dogs at home, and I don't chose to live with them on my vacation. And, I don't trust Disney to eliminate all traces of dog from the room. I'm talking pet hair, smells, dog slobber on windows, etc. One of my kids had Lyme Disease and it's not something I ever want to repeat. The thought of ticks coming into the rooms on dogs, and then the dogs laying on the beds...that's enough to keep me out of a pet-friendly resort.

I love the Yacht Club. It's one of my favorite places. But, I just don't trust Disney to keep the pet dogs in a totally separate area. Maybe once they've proven their ability to do that I will consider the YC again. But, for now, I will stay away.

I love kids and I know they also bring their fair share of messes and noise. But, when I think about a dog laying its hind quarters on the same pillow that I may sleep on at night...no thanks...just not for me.

As for kids (and adults) not approaching a dog on a leash, sometimes that is easier said than done. A lot of my neighbors walk their dogs on retractable / extendable leashes. You may think you're an adequate distance away, but then the pet owner lets out the length of the leash and the dog is suddenly jumping up on you. :dogdance:

I love, love, love Disney! My big fear is that they will extend this policy to all of the resorts. I never thought I'd hear myself say that I refuse to stay on-site....but extending the dog policy to all resorts may push me to that point. And, that just makes me sad.

Wow some of you should have a career in law enforcement (if you don’t already). I wouldn’t even think of this. But what does enforcement of the 7 hours rule matter? Many ppl have posted that is too long to leave a dog b/c it’ll destroy the room & incessantly bark as soon as the owner leaves. If the dog it quiet in the room, who cares how long the owner has been gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter