Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that you both think you are helping somehow and thank you for the thought. But...
Please quit discussing how all of us with REAL fears of dogs need therapy! It's very condescending. I avoid dogs just fine. With this new policy, I may not be able to avoid them at Disney.
It still should be fairly easy to avoid them if you don’t go to POR, AoA, Yacht Club or FW

Not apples to apples. Children have always been allowed at WDW. You KNOW what you're getting into when you book a WDW vacation: LOADS and LOADS of children. I'm sick of people comparing children to animals. Walt Disney World has always been a child-friendly destination. It has not always been a dog-friendly destination.
**I understand my comments aren't directly related to yours as I know what you're talking about.**

It hasn't always been a place to get alcohol either and I know plenty of opinions about that for sure on both sides actually. Those who don't like the alcohol and those that appreciate the ability to get one. And I even have seen enough people (and probably joking) who have said getting that beverage at MK has made all the world of difference for them. MK didn't have any alcohol for how many years? For every person who says "I'm glad there's alcohol" there's another who says "no way not at WDW". It's not a rationale for why dogs should be allowed at WDW just some random talk.

Not apples to apples. Children have always been allowed at WDW. You KNOW what you're getting into when you book a WDW vacation: LOADS and LOADS of children. I'm sick of people comparing children to animals. Walt Disney World has always been a child-friendly destination. It has not always been a dog-friendly destination.
And since the policy changed (as policies do) you can KNOW which resorts are dog friendly & should be avoided.

People keep saying this and I honestly don't get it :)

Why would this a new resort be better? Is it just because it would be only one resort and not multiple resorts?

Because it would only be for dogs and their owners. No one that has issues with dogs would even see them unless they went to that resort. A nice complex with everything a dog and it's owners could wish for is better than a room that was not made for animals.

Because it would only be for dogs and their owners. No one that has issues with dogs would even see them unless they went to that resort. A nice complex with everything a dog and it's owners could wish for is better than a room that was not made for animals.

Ok so what if they took one existing resort and did this? Would that be better?

Ok so what if they took one existing resort and did this? Would that be better?
I would be fine with this too. I suspect ppl who LOVE whatever resort Disney picks will still complain. I would love the idea of a new pet resort, BUT, WDW would have to ensure it could fill this resort with enough ppl. That’s probably why they did it the way they did.

I get it..many of us don't have children for a reason--we don't want to live with them; on vacation or off.

Talking with friends today about this policy and the questions brought up about dogs being on beds and damage to carpets, one brought up what I think is a good point....she worries about what "intimate relations ", incontinence , sickness etc. has happened on the beds and carpet from adults and kids. Along with what people have done with the towels....hmmmm...
I concede that before WDW went to the dogs, hotels were not sterile. However, I think that humans defecate or urinate on the mattress, couch or carpet much less frequently than dogs do, especially dogs that are bored or scared and locked in a strange room for 7 hours. As for sickness, it happens all around us. It can't be helped. My point is that even though there might be germs already present in a room, why would I invite even more? These new germs and other gifts left behind by dogs smell, and for some of us, cause severe allergy. As for towels, so far Disney Mousekeeping hasn't degraded to the point that I have to use the previous guests unlaundered towels.

With a resort full of people loathe to see them who might make the pet owner feel guilty about their choice to bring their pet. That’s why numerous people throughout the thread have suggested it.

Just received my call from Disney. I had written them regarding the allergies/phobias in my family and that we are 5 adults that like to stay together. We normally stay at AoA or Riverside and were considering the Cabins for our next trip but the new policy had an impact on where we could stay.

She stated that "the executives have received the message loud and clear". I don't believe that the policy will be rescinded before the trial is over from the tone of the conversation but have a feeling that it will be either reduced to one resort or completely done away with. We will wait and see.

That would be a great outcome to an unnecessary policy. I'll be happy if they simply do not expand the policy to additional resorts. Better yet, an official statement to that effect would do wonders for long term planning. I don't want to seriously plan/spend on a vacation only to find out the resort I've chosen has been converted into an additional Dog Resort. If this is rolled back, all the better but I'll take containment if nothing else.

It still should be fairly easy to avoid them if you don’t go to POR, AoA, Yacht Club or FW
Yeah, except my home resort is the Beach Club Villas, next door to Yacht Club. We share the area. I have no faith that Disney will keep the dogs off of the boardwalk, the beach, or the walkway to the Studios. I've been called by two different executive offices, DVC and George what's his name. Two different answers. So if they end up using the walkways, then I'm stuck in the room instead of the dogs.

With a resort full of people loathe to see them who might make the pet owner feel guilty about their choice to bring their pet. That’s why numerous people throughout the thread have suggested it.
And that's a bit of a downer really. That people would feel like that. I can think of instances in real life where that line of thinking would absolutely not be tolerated.

Yeah, except my home resort is the Beach Club Villas, next door to Yacht Club. We share the area. I have no faith that Disney will keep the dogs off of the boardwalk, the beach, or the walkway to the Studios. I've been called by two different executive offices, DVC and George what's his name. Two different answers. So if they end up using the walkways, then I'm stuck in the room instead of the dogs.
I agree that would be unfair. I honestly wish they would have done that trial at Poly, WL, or GF b/c those resorts don’t share space with any other resort like Yacht & BC.

My dog doesn’t care. His crate is his home more than where I place it. And he would be acclimated before I leave him. And just b/c you can leave them for 7 hours doesn’t mean ppl will. I expect ppl know their dogs & will do whatever is required. If I'm going through the hassle of taking my taking dog, it’s because I love my dog & feel he can’t board for whatever reason. I’m not going to abandon him while I go to the park for hours. I’m sure ppl don’t want to have to come back or get in trouble for a barking dog.

I agree that MOST people will do whatever is required. But based on the way some people parent their human children, I have to think there are some poor pet parents too.

I agree that MOST people will do whatever is required. But based on the way some people parent their human children, I have to think there are some poor pet parents too.
I absolutely agree. But we all have to just endure when we are affected by ppl’s poor parenting of children b/c you can’t call WDW & complain that someone’s obnoxious child is bothering you. But, with this policy, you can complain if ppl aren’t adhering to the pet policy. And if they are, it should have minimal/negligible effect on other guests.

And since the policy changed (as policies do) you can KNOW which resorts are dog friendly & should be avoided.

That’s not necessarily true. Everyone who booked a trip for this week thought they were choosing a non-pet friendly hotel. I’m guessing Disney won’t change anything during the year long trial, but after that, they could just one day say, “Hey! Starting tomorrow, all resorts are pet friendly!”

We will be there just after the trial ends next year, and have a reservation at a resort that is not currently dog friendly. If they spring a change on me right before we go, I won’t be happy.

No.
I don't believe there are any resorts small enough except for FQ. Not sure that would go over with their fan base. None of the resorts were built with animals in mind, so new would probably be better.

Dogs live with people in all kinds of housing though. No special construction is needed

But I see your point that a newly-constructed dog resort wouldn't be "evicting" the anti-dogs-on-vacation people from their memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter