Traveling with a Lightsaber...after Savi's, what we do with lightsabers on a ride or airplane?

Uh, just retract it like they do in the movies!

Well hopefully next year when the next Star Wars hotel opens they start selling those realistic sabers shown in the May The Fourth promo Disney released. It looks like those DO retract like they do in the movies.

Has anyone had issues with TSA and your light sabers? Obviously Orlando tsa sees them all the time and there are no issues. Long story short our flight from Orlando to Chicago was delayed and because of that we missed the connecting flight in Chicago. There was nothing available so we had to spend the night. The next day when going through security they said we needed to check it because it was a simulated weapon?? ***!! I tried to explain that TSA in Orlando let’s them through all the time. He didn’t care, was this common or did we just get some dude on a power trip?

so now sitting in the airport waiting to get home and see the damage. My son is pretty upset. I’m hoping worse case we just need to replace the blade. I’m assuming those can be purchased separately? Not in DW?? Can they ship?

Not going to help you at this point, but maybe others in the future ...

Take your lightsabre apart (remove the blade) before travelling/arriving at airport.

We did this simply because we were nervous about the sabre being stored and damaged in flight.

You just push down on the plastic blade and gently twist. It pops right off and goes right back on easily.

We packed the actual hilt in our luggage, safely wrapped and padded between clothing and still carried our plastic blade (light bulb) in the padded canvas bag provided. It gave it more space and extra padding - and also then much more easily fit in the overhead compartment. And we weren’t worrying about it getting knocked or jostled or stuff stuffed and crammed against it and potentially breaking from the hilt. everything arrived safely and in one piece (or two pieces that we just popped and twisted back together when we arrived home).

I’d assume you could also just do this at the airport if growing worried about TSA or security checkpoints while going through. Put the hilt in your backpack/carry on and carry the plastic blade/light bulb through in the canvas case. I mean if they say (or even recognize what the plastic light bulb is used for) at plastic light bulb is a weapon? That’s be extra power trip and weird. I think it’s more likely think you’re the strange one for carrying a light bulb around with you but it surely isnt the strangest thing they’ve seen taken through as carry on.

So ... Yeah … I haven’t heard of anyone with the “simulated weapon” line, though I can see it happening. I’d say it had to do with power trip or quotas or orders about whatnot to watch for from above. Though I can see their point - especially out of an airport that isn’t MCO. But definitely a pain in the butt.

Call the number on your receipt, WDW/DL customer service is pretty exceptional.
They helped when my daughter broke a tab off of her hilt. I just sent them a photo, part mailed to me in a week. Or, have a personal shopper pick up a new blade for you.
I brought a dark saber home last month and both airports never blinked an eye. Sorry this happened to you.

I think it was just bad luck, and maybe we just picked the wrong line for the TSA. Ha ha. Another agent might’ve had it gone through but this one was being strict for some reason. I understand the point of TSA, but what is the toy light saber going to do to threaten the plane??

Thanks for the replies, those are all valid things that I will probably do in the future if we ever do this again.

just to update- believe it or not it did make it through and appears to be fine. I was expecting a big dent or crack in the blade but it looks perfect and still works. Not sure if that is an indication on how well it is built, or how good the protective cases they give you. Maybe both.

Thanks for all the help!!

Best thing to do is ship it home. Costs $17 and takes less than a week to arrive.

I was just going to say this. I didn't want to have the hassle of trying to get it through TSA and on the airplane. I just paid 18 bucks to have it shipped to my home. I built my saber recently (July 11th) and took some pics with it around Galaxy Edge. The next day, I had my hotel gift shop ship it home. It arrived at my house 2-3 days later ( way less than a week). No damage done to it.

Has anyone had issues with TSA and your light sabers? Obviously Orlando tsa sees them all the time and there are no issues. Long story short our flight from Orlando to Chicago was delayed and because of that we missed the connecting flight in Chicago. There was nothing available so we had to spend the night. The next day when going through security they said we needed to check it because it was a simulated weapon?? ***!! I tried to explain that TSA in Orlando let’s them through all the time. He didn’t care, was this common or did we just get some dude on a power trip?

so now sitting in the airport waiting to get home and see the damage. My son is pretty upset. I’m hoping worse case we just need to replace the blade. I’m assuming those can be purchased separately? Not in DW?? Can they ship?
Power trip. Too late now but call for a supervisor. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

I carried 2 Savi sabers on yesterday.

You can show them any tsa link you want, but in the final note:
The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
You are correct and it's still a power trip for a TSA agent in MCO of all places to have an issue with a lightsaber.

Does anyone know if the lightsabers can be shipped internationally
I personally would not want to ship it internationally. We flew In from UK to do the pass holder preview in 2019. It went home on board with me and the virgin crew stored it in their cupboard issue free.
now remember at that point airports and airlines hadnt really seen these as only CA was open at that point in aug‘19. I had no issue. TSA just swabbed it and checked it over.
unfortunately like story above I guess you could always meet a not so nice TSA person

Does anyone know if the lightsabers can be shipped internationally
I would not recommend shipping it internationally, take it as carry-on and ask a FA to store it in the coat closet and you should be fine. You can disassemble the saber from the hilt if you want to separate them and stick the hilt in another bag if you really are worried.

We built, walked around, took pics, hopped to Epcot, then mailed ours home from the Poly for $35 (2 sabers). The photographers take special pics with lightsabers. They’re really well done
We walked around at night and got some great photos.A0B13A5A-4EE2-4CB9-8FEB-9862D8867164.jpeg

I am sure you wanted more practical advice as to how to carry it, but if you've never looked up "light saber" on the TSA's "what can I bring" list of allowed and prohibited items, you should! (Yes, it's allowed, but you still should look it up. :))
The TSA list cracks me up... they found some humor adding lightsabers.

Light Saber
  • Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes
Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Yes you can do that. Do whatever you want to with it and then take it to droid depot to get it shipped home. It's was like 17 dollars for one saber with a stand when I went in November. Highly recommend. IT's a few more bucks but less stress for sure.

Stand? This is the first I'm hearing of a stand. Where did you get it? Does it hold it upright?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter