Traveling with a Lightsaber...after Savi's, what we do with lightsabers on a ride or airplane?

wideeyedwonder

DIS Veteran
After building a lightsaber at Savi's, and playing Jedi while wandering around G'sE...what do we do with our lightsabers when we go on a ride, say, R&RR?

And more importantly (perhaps), what is the best way to get a lightsaber safely home, when home requires a ride on an airliner?

I guess it has to fit into your suitcase. Never thought of that before!

Most airlines will let you carry it on fee free and the flight attendants will stash it in the umbrella/cane closet if you ask politely. This is what I have been told by others who have built lightsabers anyway. The airlines in Orlando are used to seeing them now.

You will need to use rider swap for the lightsaber if you want to ride RNRC.

Can you pick up your lightsaber up at the end of the day or have Disney deliver it to your hotel room? I was able to book an afternoon reservation for Savi’s but don’t want to carry it around all day.

We fly Southwest and most people that fly them have mentioned that they have no problem with detaching the hilt from the blade, putting the hilt in their carryon and leave the blade in the carrying case, sit in the window seat and prop it up between the window and seat. Other people have no problem putting it in the overhead bin, but I myself would never do that. Too much chance someone will slam a last minute suitcase against it. We are going in May and doing the hilt in carry on and blade next to window route.

We just brought our lightsaber, in its case, on our Southwest flight. It was no big deal and placed in in the overhead bin right in front of our carry on cases.

Can you pick up your lightsaber up at the end of the day or have Disney deliver it to your hotel room? I was able to book an afternoon reservation for Savi’s but don’t want to carry it around all day.

No, and no.

We fly Southwest and most people that fly them have mentioned that they have no problem with detaching the hilt from the blade, putting the hilt in their carryon and leave the blade in the carrying case, sit in the window seat and prop it up between the window and seat. Other people have no problem putting it in the overhead bin, but I myself would never do that. Too much chance someone will slam a last minute suitcase against it. We are going in May and doing the hilt in carry on and blade next to window route.

This is exactly what we did in 9/19 when we went. Hubs had no problem going thru TSA or on the airplane. On the plane, we put it in the overhead compartment, but only after the bin was full and it was about to be shut by JetBlue crew to make sure it didn't get smushed.

My DIL is just planning to put the whole thing in her suitcase because she has hard-sided luggage. Should she be worried?

My daughter travels with a couple of light sabers. We fly from Michigan. She removes the bottom part from the top and packs the bottom parts in her carry on luggage. In Detroit they looked in her bag but were fine once they knew what it was. In MCO they didn't even flinch. Probably used to seeing them come through security. She carried the top part on the plane and laid it down the side of her seat next to the window. In the park she was able to take them on all rides except RNRC. She said that once you get in they send you to an area in the gift shop where you label the light saber and pick it back up after the ride. She said it was kind of like a bag check. We just returned from a trip and she bought another one so she had three to bring home :)

My DIL is just planning to put the whole thing in her suitcase because she has hard-sided luggage. Should she be worried?
The carrier they give you with the saber is bigger than you'd expect it to be. Depending upon the size of her luggage, it might not fit.

The carrier they give you with the saber is bigger than you'd expect it to be. Depending upon the size of her luggage, it might not fit.

How long is it exactly? Can you put just the blade in the case and fold the case? How long would it be then? Thanks!

How long is it exactly? Can you put just the blade in the case and fold the case? How long would it be then? Thanks!
The bag is 2.5" diameter and ~50" long. The blade part is 32" long, but I think part of the blade that fits into the hilt might be slightly longer than that, so I'd allow 33-34" to fit it into the suitcase.

Another quick question. Am I able to build it, walk around a bit and take pictures and then go somewhere to get it shipped home or do you have to set that up immediately after building it?

Another quick question. Am I able to build it, walk around a bit and take pictures and then go somewhere to get it shipped home or do you have to set that up immediately after building it?

Yes you can do that. Do whatever you want to with it and then take it to droid depot to get it shipped home. It's was like 17 dollars for one saber with a stand when I went in November. Highly recommend. IT's a few more bucks but less stress for sure.

Yes you can do that. Do whatever you want to with it and then take it to droid depot to get it shipped home. It's was like 17 dollars for one saber with a stand when I went in November. Highly recommend. IT's a few more bucks but less stress for sure.
Thanks! Yea we are definitely doing the shipping route to make it simple, glad to know we can have some fun with it in the park first.

I am sure you wanted more practical advice as to how to carry it, but if you've never looked up "light saber" on the TSA's "what can I bring" list of allowed and prohibited items, you should! (Yes, it's allowed, but you still should look it up. :))

I am sure you wanted more practical advice as to how to carry it, but if you've never looked up "light saber" on the TSA's "what can I bring" list of allowed and prohibited items, you should! (Yes, it's allowed, but you still should look it up. :))

It's nice to know someone at the TSA has a sense of humor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter