Travel Agent Discount

Martindis2006

Mouseketeer
I am not a travel agent but a friend of mine is convinced that she can get a discount on her accomodations since she is a travel agent. Does anyone know if this true.

TA's can get a discount on room only reservations if available ( but are treated as a package meaning has to be paid in full 45 days prior to arrival) also must send in with in certain time period a fax verifying TA status ( IATA , CLIA , IATAN card ) they can book through Disney TA site

they have to book it on disneytravelagents.com and verify their iata/clia number, etc. Its room only and it is a package just like mousefan stated

Travel agent must also occupy the room and the TA credentials are subject to verification.

Does anyone know the limit of rooms you area allowed to book if you are a travel agent?

I agree with what LindyN said, but I do want to say that TA's will often book a block of rooms & get discounts for group rates. The key is that they occupy all of the rooms on at least 1 night over the time period they have the rooms booked. Maybe the op's TA is thinking she can get a group set up??

Responding to MarcielM's post:
Depends on how the TA books the room.
A travel agency/agent can pull a room block and negotiate a contract rate with Disney on rooms. There is a well known agency often mentioned on these boards who pulls rooms in this manner and in effect becomes a "wholesaler" of hotel rooms. Rooms which have been negotiated by contract are room-only reservations and may not have the dining plan added. Sometimes there are also some pretty stiff penalties when booking with a room block too so it is beneficial to read the fine print regarding changes after booking. Many agents/agencies do not do room blocks because of the contract issue and how payments need to be done on these particular rooms.

Just curious. If you are a travel agent how much of a discount can you typiclly get on a single room? It just got me thinking of a new career. I am a stay at home mom.

Oh, and I forgot to add: if a TA pulls a group with a contract this is at a negotiated rate with Disney, and not a TA rate. A TA rate is a single reservation and the terms are posted on Disney's TA web site.

Responding to MarcielM's post:
Depends on how the TA books the room.
A travel agency/agent can pull a room block and negotiate a contract rate with Disney on rooms. There is a well known agency often mentioned on these boards who pulls rooms in this manner and in effect becomes a "wholesaler" of hotel rooms. Rooms which have been negotiated by contract are room-only reservations and may not have the dining plan added. Sometimes there are also some pretty stiff penalties when booking with a room block too so it is beneficial to read the fine print regarding changes after booking. Many agents/agencies do not do room blocks because of the contract issue and how payments need to be done on these particular rooms.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. :rotfl:

I looked at booking a block of rooms to get a discount in March... but the rate I was quoted for 10 rooms wasn't half as good as what a PIN or GP discount code could've gotten my guests. Maybe if I had done 100 rooms.... ;)

Just curious. If you are a travel agent how much of a discount can you typiclly get on a single room? It just got me thinking of a new career. I am a stay at home mom.

There are some restrictions... tyically it is a 50% discount off room. HOWEVER you have to have your IATAN number to do this.

If you'd like more information, let me know & I will PM you some details about the parent company I work for.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. :rotfl:

I looked at booking a block of rooms to get a discount in March... but the rate I was quoted for 10 rooms wasn't half as good as what a PIN or GP discount code could've gotten my guests. Maybe if I had done 100 rooms.... ;)

Exactly. A GP or PIN rate is going to be better and those contract terms are not as guest friendly.

Exactly. A GP or PIN rate is going to be better and those contract terms are not as guest friendly.

And what is sad is with the "discounted park tickets" (if you choose to do them) you don't get commission. Kinda' defeats the purpose, IMO! :lmao:

is an education not required anymore?

it's like people buying a Mac, pirating software and calling themselves editors and filmmakers.

is an education not required anymore?

it's like people buying a Mac, pirating software and calling themselves editors and filmmakers.

Here is some stuff I found when I googled... and it was pretty norm when I was looking into for myself. I was kinda' shocked. Here is a link to the site I pulled this bit from: About.com

Educational Requirements for Travel Agents:
In order to become a travel agent one must have, at least, a high school diploma or the equivalent. Increasingly, because of the use of computers and technology, employers prefer job candidates who have received vocational training. Some aspiring travel agents choose to get a bachelor's degree in travel and tourism, although programs that offer this courework are few. Some employers look for job candidates who have taken college courses in computer science, foreign languages, geography and world history.​

Great info marcielm.

To glovergirls - it also depends on where you live. I'm sure some of the requirements vary from state to state.

I can't speak for the US, but if you are an Ontario resident, you need to bide TICO law to sell travel. Starting with taking (and passing) the Education Standards exam.

http://www.citc.ca/tico/en/train-tico-intro-e.asp

My aunt works for TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario), who governs all people selling travel in Ontario, BC and Quebec. There are hefty fines and jail time for those who are caught selling travel and not abiding by TICO law.

Although the education requirements for US agents are low, various travel suppliers, of which Disney is one, have their own rules and requirements before granting any discounts.

Disney requires agent education (done online), and that the agency books Disney trips in the course of their business (in other words, has produced revenue for Mickey!). Disney reviews the produced revenue when granting the discounts, don't know what amount levels they use though. Discounted rooms or tickets must be applied for through the agency in advance, some resorts are limited at different times.

When a resort discount is available it's 50% for up to 7 nights once per year. Also, just a one time annual ticket discount for ONE ticket just for the agent, 50% off, but cannot be non-expiring and MUST include hopper and waterpark fun & more options, so if you want a basic pass only it's really a savings of less than the 50%. These tickets are picked up at the parks with an agent I.D. In lieu of the discounted ticket, an agent may choose a ONE DAY free park hopper with waterpark fun & more, so that would be just one free day per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!