Transportation to/from airport from Universal Resort

One word of caution re. the shuttle service - Please understand that you are booking with a third-party. It might have Universal's name on it, but they are not in charge nor can they/will they help you out if you have a problem.

My shuttle experience goes back about 7 years now (and admittedly there was a different company doing the shuttle service at that time), but it is telling in what can go wrong. I flew down for a very short budget-friendly trip. My friend/travel partner was staying in Florida to visit family afterward so the shuttle was most cost-effective.

On departure day, I waited to be picked up Cabana Bay - and waited - and waited - and waited. I talked to the bell services people and they couldn't help me/didn't know who to contact. Thankfully, I found a phone number for the shuttle to call. The operator said that they were on their way and to give them 10 more minutes. And I waited - and waited. I called a second time and got the same answer. After the third call, I was getting panicky. Then a shuttle van finally showed up - and was there to pick up another group. Apparently, my pickup had gotten lost in their system. I explained to the driver my situation (I was almost in tears at this point). He was fantastic and went above and beyond to help me make my flight (thank God for curbside check-in and pre-check or I NEVER would have made it).

The kicker was that neither the shuttle company nor Universal cared about their mess-up. (Note: this is how I found out that the shuttle isn't run by Universal, I had assumed that it was when I booked it). All I wanted was an apology and what I got was an "oh, well." From then on, I went with transportation that was either on demand (ride-share) or a small company that had an awesome reputation for customer service. It just isn't worth the risk to me.

One word of caution re. the shuttle service - Please understand that you are booking with a third-party. It might have Universal's name on it, but they are not in charge nor can they/will they help you out if you have a problem.

My shuttle experience goes back about 7 years now (and admittedly there was a different company doing the shuttle service at that time), but it is telling in what can go wrong. I flew down for a very short budget-friendly trip. My friend/travel partner was staying in Florida to visit family afterward so the shuttle was most cost-effective.

On departure day, I waited to be picked up Cabana Bay - and waited - and waited - and waited. I talked to the bell services people and they couldn't help me/didn't know who to contact. Thankfully, I found a phone number for the shuttle to call. The operator said that they were on their way and to give them 10 more minutes. And I waited - and waited. I called a second time and got the same answer. After the third call, I was getting panicky. Then a shuttle van finally showed up - and was there to pick up another group. Apparently, my pickup had gotten lost in their system. I explained to the driver my situation (I was almost in tears at this point). He was fantastic and went above and beyond to help me make my flight (thank God for curbside check-in and pre-check or I NEVER would have made it).

The kicker was that neither the shuttle company nor Universal cared about their mess-up. (Note: this is how I found out that the shuttle isn't run by Universal, I had assumed that it was when I booked it). All I wanted was an apology and what I got was an "oh, well." From then on, I went with transportation that was either on demand (ride-share) or a small company that had an awesome reputation for customer service. It just isn't worth the risk to me.
That’s when ESCOT was running the shuttle. It is now operated by Mears.

That’s when ESCOT was running the shuttle. It is now operated by Mears.

I understand that. But I've seen sporadic reports of similar issues with Mears as well. I just want to make sure that everyone understands that the caveat that you are dealing with a large transportation company and therefore you are at the mercy of their system. If it works, fabulous. But when it doesn't, things can go very wrong, very quickly.

Question for you - how much did you tip the driver? We don't generally tip a lot where we live but I do want to be fair.

I normally tip $5 each way with two bags, or $2 per bag if we have more than that. This time I doubled that because we we were the only ones on the bus and the driver was great about it. With inflation it really doesn’t go as far as it used to.

I normally tip $5 each way with two bags, or $2 per bag if we have more than that. This time I doubled that because we we were the only ones on the bus and the driver was great about it. With inflation it really doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Sooo $10 for a family of 4 with 4 bags should be sufficient?

We are using Mears Connect from MCO to Disney and probably either Uber/LYFT or a Mears taxi to Universal when the Disney portion of our trip is over. What is the best option for getting to MCO from Universal? I'm guessing either Uber/LYFT or a private car service? Am I correct that Mears Connect does not run from Universal to MCO?

We just did the exact same thing on our December trip.

Mears from MCO to Disney.
Uber from Disney to Universal
Uber from Universal to MCO

Worked out great and price was good.
We are using Mears Connect from MCO to Disney and probably either Uber/LYFT or a Mears taxi to Universal when the Disney portion of our trip is over. What is the best option for getting to MCO from Universal? I'm guessing either Uber/LYFT or a private car service? Am I correct that Mears Connect does not run from Universal to MCO?

We just did the exact same thing on our December trip.

Mears from MCO to Disney.
Uber from Disney to Universal
Uber from Universal to MCO

Worked out great and price was good.
I have only used Uber a handful of times and it has been awhile. Were the Ubers pretty plentiful at both Disney and Universal? We will probably need an UberXL. Should I prebook it or is it just best to wait to get one when needed? We have an 11:55am flight out of MCO. What time should we get an Uber?

Thanks!

I have only used Uber a handful of times and it has been awhile. Were the Ubers pretty plentiful at both Disney and Universal? We will probably need an UberXL. Should I prebook it or is it just best to wait to get one when needed? We have an 11:55am flight out of MCO. What time should we get an Uber?

Thanks!
We use Uber/Lyft often with the two big parks. We order them last minute and typically don’t wait more than 10-15 minutes once ordered. As for heading back to MCO, we always err on the side of caution, even with TSA pre check. Typically we order one around 3 hours prior to our flight time… sometimes 2.5 hours prior.

We did Mears, Lyft XL, Lyft XL for the three legs on our last trip. We only had to wait ~10 minutes for the Lyft each time.

I had used the shuttle for many years myself without issue - until the last time - 2017 I think.

Got in late night - but at the scheduled time - waited way too long and ultimately after about 2.5 hours of its on its way - I was put in a taxi

Universal was OK about it - but their stance was that was an issue with the shuttle service and not the hotel - Its Universal express - but the hotel is run by Lowes and the shuttle is mears.

This was one of the few times I was not happy with Universal customer service - so I will never use the shuttle again - now I use Uber

The shuttle is Ok if you are in the normal operating hours since its runs every 30 minutes or so - but if you are off hours I would not risk it

So in off hours (we hope to take a red eye from SFO to MCO in the summer) are taxis and ride shares hanging out at the airport, or will we have to call for one?

So in off hours (we hope to take a red eye from SFO to MCO in the summer) are taxis and ride shares hanging out at the airport, or will we have to call for one?
We often arrive very late at night and see taxis waiting. We typically call and order an Uber or Lyft once we head outside from the baggage claim area. Typical wait for us is around 10 minutes or so until the car arrives.

Thanks!
We ordered an Uber XL to go from Coronado Springs to Portifino Bay we used the app to order once we arrived at the lobby with our luggage. It was really quick. I think 5 or 10 mins.

To go from Portifino to MCO we reserved through the app the night before. Driver showed up 15 mins early.

I would think you want to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight. Security lines can vary at MCO. It was quick for us. We were through in 10 mins on Dec. 24th. But I have seen people have to wait in line for 45 mins to get through.

We usually go 3 hours ahead. There are lots of restaurants and shops to kill a couple hours.

I am just checking to make sure I’m understanding this correctly, if I book our trip to universal online NOT through the universal website I CAN NOT use the superstar shuttle?

In that case for a family of 4 and all of our luggage is Uber/Lyft still suggested?

I am just checking to make sure I’m understanding this correctly, if I book our trip to universal online NOT through the universal website I CAN NOT use the superstar shuttle?

In that case for a family of 4 and all of our luggage is Uber/Lyft still suggested?
You have want a X-Large for Uber or Lyft if you have lots of luggage.

Any current reviews on Gear Fusion lately? We plan on using them in the fall with a grocery stop to head to Disney... Just to verify they use Pulbix Water Tower Shoppes? It seems like the Celeration one is too far south for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter