Training- What did you learn the hard way? What would YOU put in a training program?

Thanks for your feedback! What type of cross training did you do? I just ordered a hydration pack that is very highly rated on Amazon. I think I might need a bit more hydration and nutrition on the course. I also need them for training walks. Even short ones. I went out for 3 miles on Thursday and by 2 miles I was parched. 85 degrees at over 6,000 feet... it probably makes a difference.
My cross training is weight lifting. I choose to train on a treadmill so I do weightlifting right before my 30-45 minutes of running. Depending on how long my weekend run is, I may not lift before the run, but that's usually only on the really long runs. Keep in mind I like to keep the amount I lift within reason. In order to build muscle, you have to increase weight, but I also want to make sure that I don't overdo the weight lifting to a degree that it has a negative impact on my running.

I also feel like being a little bit tired and sore before my run helps psychologically with learning how to push myself when I'm tired and sore. When I'm tempted to cut a 45 minute run short for stupid reasons (I'm tired, hungry, want to go home), I remind myself that the extra 15 minutes will matter on race day. So much of running is mental and very individual. You need to figure out what works best for you.

I'm a total newb. I love walking. And I love Disney. And I thought... "Hey! I love walking- I will just follow this Disney provided training program and walk 13 miles! Easy peasy!"

d6b9cc33-09db-4953-a0b3-3f23e0bb30d9_zps6egfjh0y.jpg

I need help. I've been diligently following my "Beginners" traning plan for my upcoming half marathon (November 13th)- "Thousands of beginning runners have finished half marathons, with strength, using this program. Only 3 weekly training days are needed: 30 minutes
on Tuesday and Thursday, and a longer session on the weekend. On half of the weekends, most will be running and walking for an hour or less. "

But after my last 9.5 miles, my back has been achy and Dr. Google mentioned that I might need to work on strengthening my core. Makes sense. Then it made me wonder- what else am I missing? If I wanted to prepare for this half marathon in the most holistic way possible- what do I need to know more about? Strength training? Stretching? Nutrition, Hydration, Fuel, "Equipment," Positive Thinking/Meditation/Visualization, Pre-Race Day Prep, Race Day Prep... And where do I find this information?

"ONLY 3 weekly training days are needed" I think not, actually.

What would YOU include in your training program?
Did you learn anything the hard way that you would like to share?

My recommendation is if it hurts FIX IT BEFORE your next run, ie see a doctor. If I followed my own advice I would not be sitting here with a short leg cast and a scooter... I went from my right foot aching to my left foot aching and despite knowing better tried to run through it and ended up with achilles tendonitis, a partially ruptured posterior tibial tendon, and stress fractures to my heel and it didn't even hurt as bad as it sounds, evidence - I finished a 6 miler at my normal pace with the fractures and tendonitis. Running through what you think is minor pain is a bad idea. get your back attended to and cross train if you'd like but avoid cross training that relies heavily on you ankles/lower legs. Also get fitted for proper shoes, every foot is different. I ran in my treadmill shoes outside and I'm fairly certain that caused a lot of my problems.

Did my first in January. Few things I learned that will help me for my next one:

• Use tape. I didn't use any and on my long run (the 14 or 14.5, can't remember from the training guide), my knee was in pain for a week and a half after. Used some tape on the actual half run and it helped a ton.
  • Crosstraining is key. And not just to get your cardio up. Do weight lifting using your quads/core/hamstrings (squats will help a lot). This will keep your legs from giving out (and will actually help with knee pain). That said, be careful with your crosstraining. The week before I was just messing around playing basketball and rolled my ankle. Ended up fine after a couple of days, but I should have known better than to do something where I would be planting on my legs, especially a week out from the race
  • 3 days a week is correct for the running aspect. Make sure you leave lots of recovery time.
  • Don't just run through pain. Depends a bit on how you know your body, but if it is a sore muscle, that is one thing. Anything that feels sharp, stop right away.
  • Don't freak out if you miss a 30 minute run or if you only have time for a 5 mile run on a 7 mile day.
  • Set up your pace
  • Use walking. I tested what the guide said, and it was correct. I ran a faster 5k when I put in 2 15 second walks than when I ran straight through.
  • Get a 10k time. It feels nice having that extra cushion from the balloons in case you have something happen where you need to walk for a long period of time.
  • Test lots of different gels. Personally I couldn't do gels at all, but they make a chewy gummy that was perfect for me.
  • Lots and lots of hydration. Your days off (days leading up to big runs) are MUCH more important than the day of or even during. Drink tons of water.

Those are all that come to mind. Don't fret it. You put in the work before the race (i.e. follow that guide for the most part), you will be fine and you will have a blast doing it.

I've made lots of mistakes:

Learned to pick a plan and stick with it. If you tweak it too much, you are no longer following that plan. Throwing in junk mileage is a recipe for injury.

Learned to start the races a bit slower, judge how I feel and then pick up the speed from there.

Core work made a world of difference.

If I am injured, back off as per the instructions of my physical therapist. I ended up running my PRing twice post injury.

Stopped comparing myself to other runners. At 56, I need to be the best runner I can be, not what I was 30 years ago.

I will do some googling and searching, but if you have a moment- would anyone share the pros and cons of going past 12 miles in a training "run." I like the idea of doing a 14 mile walk so that on race day I can feel like... "Hey- I've done even more than this!" but is it maybe too much for the body?

I think most of what I'd add has been covered already, but I'll just reiterate that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to training - what works for one doesn't work for another, so every training plan is an experiment, really. As you try things, you'll see what works best for you, I promise!

A general rule of thumb for fueling is 100 cals per hour. Some need more, some less, but it's not a bad place to start.

I've gone up to 12 miles training for a half, and I've only gone up to 10 for others: I was glad I did the 12 for my first 1/2 because I felt confident about my ability to finish come race day, but never felt the need to go that high again. So I'd say maybe plan to go to 12 for the mental aspect, but if life happens and you only get to 10, don't sweat it.

I'd say the #1 thing I've learned a this point is that building to my first 13.1 was a lot harder than building to my second... and my second was harder than my third... and my third was harder than my fourth... and so on. The more years of distance running I have under my belt, the fewer injuries I seem to get, the faster I recover form hard workouts, and the stronger I feel. I was in pretty good shape, fitness-wise, when I started distance running, but nothing has done as much for my ability to go long as simply running long for a number of years - it would have been nice to know that at the time of my first half!

A few big pointers I'd add/change/modify:

- Just because a plan is set on paper doesn't mean it's set in stone. Modifications can and should be allowed
- Hydration and nutrition will help tremendously
- Include cross-training days = resistance training, yoga, swimming, etc to keep things fresh and prevent injuries

Cross training is essential. By this I mean mostly strength and mobility work. Core strength is sooooooo important. Overuse injuries are caused by imbalances in mechanics+strength causing over use somewhere else. My past hip issue was caused by emerald psoas (a major core muscle). When my knees both me it's directly related to tight hips and quads. When my feet bother me it's directly related to my core + quads (not holding my posture and legs strong which causes form to collapse, which collapses feet and arches).
Serious core work
Yoga
Strength, particularly single leg and single arm strength. running is about holding form & mechanics while on one leg so strength in one leg is important. Single arm core stuff strengthens ability to control torso rotation. So things like single leg squats, single leg burpees, single arm plank, shoulder tough push ups, etc.

What I learned the hard way, other than what others have added:
Try to make sure at least some of your training is on the same terrain as the race. For my first (Disney) marathon, I did all my training runs on a nice, soft trail. It preserved my joints, but I was not at all prepared for the asphalt, let alone about 4 miles of concrete(!) in the Disney marathon going through the parks. My feet were KILLING me by mile 17. So if you're not doing it already, try to include not only asphalt but some concrete in your training.

What I learned the hard way, other than what others have added:
Try to make sure at least some of your training is on the same terrain as the race. For my first (Disney) marathon, I did all my training runs on a nice, soft trail. It preserved my joints, but I was not at all prepared for the asphalt, let alone about 4 miles of concrete(!) in the Disney marathon going through the parks. My feet were KILLING me by mile 17. So if you're not doing it already, try to include not only asphalt but some concrete in your training.
Great advice. I'd guess the same thing would happen for anyone doing all of their training on the treadmill!

Great advice. I'd guess the same thing would happen for anyone doing all of their training on the treadmill!

Yup. You run a greater risk for shin splints & other injuries by not getting outside and adjusting to the pavement.

As others have said, cross-training! I do cross-training at least twice a week. I've felt a huge difference in stamina and knee pain after I started doing weight training as well as all the planks. I hate that core work but it really does help.

My biggest trick is SPIN. I try to get it in every week. Climbing hills, max effort biking, and pretty much maxing out my legs and lungs without pounding pavement has helped my stamina immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter