Training- What did you learn the hard way? What would YOU put in a training program?

lunarsongbird

Disney Magic is a Must
I'm a total newb. I love walking. And I love Disney. And I thought... "Hey! I love walking- I will just follow this Disney provided training program and walk 13 miles! Easy peasy!"

d6b9cc33-09db-4953-a0b3-3f23e0bb30d9_zps6egfjh0y.jpg

I need help. I've been diligently following my "Beginners" traning plan for my upcoming half marathon (November 13th)- "Thousands of beginning runners have finished half marathons, with strength, using this program. Only 3 weekly training days are needed: 30 minutes
on Tuesday and Thursday, and a longer session on the weekend. On half of the weekends, most will be running and walking for an hour or less. "

But after my last 9.5 miles, my back has been achy and Dr. Google mentioned that I might need to work on strengthening my core. Makes sense. Then it made me wonder- what else am I missing? If I wanted to prepare for this half marathon in the most holistic way possible- what do I need to know more about? Strength training? Stretching? Nutrition, Hydration, Fuel, "Equipment," Positive Thinking/Meditation/Visualization, Pre-Race Day Prep, Race Day Prep... And where do I find this information?

"ONLY 3 weekly training days are needed" I think not, actually.

What would YOU include in your training program?
Did you learn anything the hard way that you would like to share?

Less training is better. Cross training is ESSENTIAL. You will end up with overuse injuries if you train the same way too often. I spent TWO years managing plantar fasciitis and IT band syndrome from run/walk training.

I stopped running and walking. I swim (with fins to build leg, hip, and ankle strength). I bike. I use ellipticals. I did not run or walk excessively for 6 months.

I just started running again. NO pain No issues so far, and have been able to do 3-5 miles at a time no problem.

For a half marathon, there is no real reason to do training runs or walks in excess of about 8 miles. Race day will be an outlier and you WILL be hurting at the end of it, but you will be able to finish.

I think one thing you will learn is that different things work for different people. What is detailed in the above post WOULD NOT work for me.

I run 4 days per week and do yoga twice per week. I'm about to start strength training again. For me, running 3 days per week was not enough. For others, it is. Others still will run 6-7 days per week. We are all different.

Achy back - yes, I would strengthen your core. Look up how to do planks and start incorporating those daily, or go to a yoga class - core strength and stretching in one!

Nutrition and hydration are things that you will want to figure out for yourself as you continue to train - again, different for everyone. I like to take water with me and sip every 2 miles or so. I eat half of a Honey Stinger Waffle every 4 miles or so. For others, this may be too much or too little - you need to experiment to find what works for you. Hip and butt strength will help as well - you want your core/pelvis as stable as possible to avoid injury.

I think that the positive thinking will come as you complete more training runs - so keep following your plan. As you complete the longer runs (walks) you will become more confident - the mental game of running is tough!

Look up trip and training reports here on the DIS to help with pre-race prep, race day prep and visualization. Maybe search for last year's Avengers thread and read that through. Good luck!! :)

First thing to remember is there is going to be a missed day at some point. Whether it be from illness, school, work, or just being too tired that day they happen. Not something to beat yourself up over when it does happen,

You might want to look into a personal trainer for running who can better structure it for your needs then ones that's all ready set up. Galloway has personalized online programs you can sign up for. I don't use him personally since I have my own PT but it's a lot more relaxing to be able to message my trainer and say 'Hey I can't do that today how should I move it?' Or 'School is giving me stress headaches and I have no clue how much running I will get in the next two weeks' (that actually happened back in August) and have him accommodate it

And I'll second DLgal on getting some cross training. Find something you really enjoy for that. I personally horse back ride about once to twice a week. And when I'm on top of both I see a notable difference between when I'm just doing one sport.

Last edited:

So, first things first, everyone is different. I would disagree that you don't need more than 8 miles but that's just my body personally. I could tell you about how I trained for a runDisney half but it will be totally different from how others on this board or even the people I ran with trained. What I have learned are a few universal truths:

- The most important thing, is listening to your body. Don't run all out, if you have to adjust your intervals because it has too much running or too much walking that's fine.
- Hydration is important and it's a balance that's slightly different for each person. That being said don't let yourself get dehydrated it will make you feel awful.
- Not every run will feel fun or good. If something is hurting it's best to let yourself recover a bit.
- Cross training is great for preventing injury and such. I will second yoga but most things are good. It will help you become a better runner but you will survive even if you don't do it.
- Running is very much a mental game. Find a technique that works for you if you're struggling on a run. I sometimes count bunnies I see or try and sing a whole soundtrack in my head.
- Hang out on the boards (especially for the race you plan to do) because they are an invaluable source of information

Edit: Added that while cross training is very beneficial it's not 100% something everyone must do in order to run. There are plenty of people who make it through races never having cross trained.

Last edited:
So, first things first, everyone is different. I would disagree that you don't need more than 8 miles but that's just my body personally.
I agree - you need to know how your body is going to handle going beyond that distance.

Mentally, for me, hitting at least 10 miles is a must. It's totally mental but I feel like getting to that milestone does a lot for my confidence.

@lunarsongbird this is a good thread to check out. Hopefully it'll help: http://disboards.com/threads/training-plans-and-terminology-a-newbies-guide-to-running.3545529/

I agree - you need to know how your body is going to handle going beyond that distance.

Mentally, for me, hitting at least 10 miles is a must. It's totally mental but I feel like getting to that milestone does a lot for my confidence.

@lunarsongbird this is a good thread to check out. Hopefully it'll help: http://disboards.com/threads/training-plans-and-terminology-a-newbies-guide-to-running.3545529/
Same. 10 is the magic number for me. I've tried 11 and 12 during different training cycles and for me they aren't that different than 10. Knowing I can get to 10 means I know I can get to the finish.

I initially made the mistake of thinking: "Hey, I can run a 5K. I can totally run a half marathon!"

Wrong. :P

The best thing I did was cross train and build up the muscles - all over my body. I worked with a personal trainer and got those legs, arms, back, and abs stronger so that I could sustain the strain on my body.

Less training is better. Cross training is ESSENTIAL. You will end up with overuse injuries if you train the same way too often. I spent TWO years managing plantar fasciitis and IT band syndrome from run/walk training.

I stopped running and walking. I swim (with fins to build leg, hip, and ankle strength). I bike. I use ellipticals. I did not run or walk excessively for 6 months.

I just started running again. NO pain No issues so far, and have been able to do 3-5 miles at a time no problem.

For a half marathon, there is no real reason to do training runs or walks in excess of about 8 miles. Race day will be an outlier and you WILL be hurting at the end of it, but you will be able to finish.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with with just about everything in this post. Running is very individual and how each person's body reacts to will be a little different.

Less training is not better. The right amount of training is better. That's why so many plans are set up to provide running/walking bases for people to get through the races. Train too little and you will have a hard time completing the distance. Train too much and you run the risk of injury through over training. An established training plan will use a progressive increase in mileage to get you ready for a race while managing the increased load on your body.

Cross training can be beneficial, no doubt about it, it can help reduce some of the injury risk factors depending on what type of cross training you choose. I would not call it "essential", though. You "may" end up with overuse injuries if you train the same way too often, but once again this will depend on you and your fitness level. I'm sorry you issues with PF and IT band issues, but one individual's results do not render it essential for all.

For a half marathon, most training plans that I am familiar with will take you out to 10 or 12 mile long runs/walks before you hit race day. You may well be able to do the half based on an 8 mile maximum. I ran my first marathon based on a maximum training run of 13.1 miles (don't recommend it, btw). What the extra mileage will do, though, is better prepare your legs and body for the stresses of race day and provide a mental assurance that you can do the distance (or at least close enough). I know folks that mentally need a training run in excess of the race mileage to feel confident in their ability to cover the distance. Most importantly, though, if you can get those longer training runs in and acclimate your body and legs to something closer to race distance in advance you should not be hurting at the end of it. I'd personally rather put in a little more training mileage, time permitting, and have a pleasant race day experience that I could enjoy without the race leaving me hurting.

I spent TWO years managing plantar fasciitis and IT band syndrome from run/walk training.

What do you think would have helped? I don't even know what IT band syndrome is. I had to google it. Some pelvic exercises? And if I watch my form, do you think I can avoid plantar fascitis?

Look up trip and training reports here on the DIS to help with pre-race prep, race day prep and visualization. Maybe search for last year's Avengers thread and read that through. Good luck!! :)
Genius. I read so many trip reports before my first Disney cruise that it didn't occur to me to read them for a specific race.

- Hydration is important and it's a balance that's slightly different for each person. That being said don't let yourself get dehydrated it will make you feel awful.
Is there enough hydration on the course? Do you bring more? What about nuun or electrolyte drinks?

Oh yes, I did read that thread. Thank you! I am comfortable with my mileage through Jeff Galloway, but I'm really interested in all of the extras I should be including. :)

You may well be able to do the half based on an 8 mile maximum. I ran my first marathon based on a maximum training run of 13.1 miles (don't recommend it, btw)

What do you recommend? :)

What do you recommend? :)

For a first time half marathon, I would recommend Hal Higdon's Novice 1 or Novice 2 plan. I used the Novice 2 when training for my first half marathon and felt like it did a great job preparing me for the race. That plan involves three "short" mid-week runs and a long run on the weekend. I personally found the time requirements to be manageable and it does not lean as heavily on the weekend long runs as the Disney-endorsed Galloway plan does. While his plans are set up as running, I have also used their principles when doing run/walk while rehabbing an injury. I liked the plan so much I was going to use the Higdon Novice marathon plan to train for my full. Unfortunately, I tore my hamstring (extension of an old team sports injury) and was only able to get back to 13.1 miles prior to the race due to the rehab.

Currently I am using a custom training plan from @DopeyBadger to get ready for another marathon, but was planning to use Higdon before I met up with him. The most important piece of advice I can give on selecting a plan is to know what you are willing to put into the training. If you're only willing to run 3 days/week, then Galloway may be the best option for you (although you seem to have decided not at this point). If you can put 4 days/week in I think Higdon is great. There are other options out there if you are willing to put 5-6 days/week in, but they tend to be for more advanced runners. Try to find one that you will enjoy and that you think will put you in a position to enjoy the race.

If you're only willing to run 3 days/week, then Galloway may be the best option for you (although you seem to have decided not at this point). If you can put 4 days/week in I think Higdon is great. There are other options out there if you are willing to put 5-6 days/week in, but they tend to be for more advanced runners. Try to find one that you will enjoy and that you think will put you in a position to enjoy the race.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that I finish without injury and illness. :) I do have an 18 month old son, but I just take him along with me on some of the shorter distances. When I took him on the 9.5 mile...it was a bit much.
bc67e911-d9d4-4a21-8597-c94f9eadff7b_zpsvlo7txkz.jpg

I will look into the Higdon's. I'm not too concerned about the mileage...as much as treating my body with respect and love. You know?

Another vote for one of the Higdon Novice plans - they're a little bit more than what you're doing now (which I sense you want from your original post) but not too much, and if you follow the schedule you should be able to finish just fine.

You could pick up either plan without too much difficulty, I would think...starting at week 5 so that you peak at the right time for the race on November 13. Adding in the 4th day may be the only tough part.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think pushing the stroller for 9.5 miles probably caused the back issue more than anything else you can pinpoint. Especially depending on the pace you were going.

Also, if you use one of the Higdon Novice plans, they are 12-week plans, so based on a Nov 13th race date, this week would be week 5 of the plan. Since you have already finished a 9.5 mile run, you should have no problems starting on week 5.

I was about to say what @Keels did, the pushing the stroller for 9.5 miles could be the back pain cause. But yeah google core exercises and maybe light hand weight exercises to help. Planks & supermans are always good.

I DO NOT agree with the you have to cross train, running less thing said above & only go to 8...to become a more efficient runner...you will have to run to build muscles up. How much your body can handle though you will have find out, but yeah adding in a 4th day might be a good idea & switching to a Higdon plan.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think pushing the stroller for 9.5 miles probably caused the back issue more than anything else you can pinpoint. Especially depending on the pace you were going.
Yeah. I totally agree so I'm not TOO TOO concerned- but it did shed light on the fact that I could be incorporating some other really beneficial lifestyle choices to support this health goal.

It was also 90 degrees and I tried a granola bar for the first time that gave me the runs.

It was a cruddy learning moment. I should have checked the weather better beforehand. :: sigh ::

For a half marathon, most training plans that I am familiar with will take you out to 10 or 12 mile long runs/walks before you hit race day. You may well be able to do the half based on an 8 mile maximum. I ran my first marathon based on a maximum training run of 13.1 miles (don't recommend it, btw). What the extra mileage will do, though, is better prepare your legs and body for the stresses of race day and provide a mental assurance that you can do the distance (or at least close enough). I know folks that mentally need a training run in excess of the race mileage to feel confident in their ability to cover the distance. Most importantly, though, if you can get those longer training runs in and acclimate your body and legs to something closer to race distance in advance you should not be hurting at the end of it. I'd personally rather put in a little more training mileage, time permitting, and have a pleasant race day experience that I could enjoy without the race leaving me hurting.

^^^^ This.

I would never go into a half marathon with less than 10 miles at the pace I was planning to run the race, and I've only gone in to one half marathon with less than that (8 miles as my longest run), but I was coming off an injury and was running an increased base mileage as I was training for the Chicago Marathon.

The only way to get better at running is to ... run. I've always done Higdon plans because I prefer to think of my training in terms of mileage as opposed to time, mostly because Disney races are such a crapshoot as to what you can/will actually do in them.

I am curious though, the one thing you haven't mentioned is your pacing and what intervals you're using on the Galloway plan. If you're not feeling as though the training is "enough", these can help us figure out what changes need to be made to your training plan. How do you keep track of your runs - do you have a watch or use an app on your phone, etc.? Did you do a Proof of Time race for corral placement? All of these factors are important when it comes down to what you do in these final, critical weeks before the race. As @opusone said, you could switch to a Higdon plan which focuses more on miles over minutes - but do it knowing that you're already at Week 5 of that plan. The next few weeks involve your two scenario races and the max combined weekly mileage you will do leading up to the race (with no taper).

Everything about running is personal to YOU. There is not a one-size-fits-all plan, though the Galloway Plan in overall concept might come the closest.

For example to some of the questions you asked above:
I wear different shoes and socks than @camaker.
For runs over six miles, or if I don't like the layout of the water stations for a race, I run with a hydration belt - I know @Ariel484 doesn't usually for races.
I prefer yellow (prefer is being nice - I LOVE it) PowerAde, but lots of people don't like the sugaryness of it.
I don't have a strict schedule on when I fuel, I just know when I'm getting to the point where I need it.
I also don't use a specific fuel - I take four-to-five different kinds of fuel with me to a race weekend and then decide that morning what sounds the most delicious (peanut butter crackers, Gu Chomps, Honey Stinger Gels, ShotBlocs, and SportsBeans are my fuel of choice - no Gu or gel for me because I'm a person, not a masochist).
I know what I can eat (or drink) before runs of certain distances and what I need to avoid. Same goes for park time and how much or little sleep I can get away with before it becomes a detriment to a race.

You can't find the answers to any of these questions as they relate to YOU until you try them out for yourself, honestly.

The other thing about running is expectations. Nobody can set a realistic expectation for your performance except for YOU. Nobody is going to do the training runs, or the early mornings, or toe the line for the race except for you. What is your overall expectation? To finish? To have fun and take pictures? To improve on time? To place in your age group?

I hope this doesn't come across as mean or even too tough-lovey ... but we can all say what works best for us (other than the 8 miles max training miles for your first half marathon - just for mental sake, you need more miles than that), but you really can't find any answers until you get out there and try things for yourself.

Yeah. I totally agree so I'm not TOO TOO concerned- but it did shed light on the fact that I could be incorporating some other really beneficial lifestyle choices to support this health goal.

It was also 90 degrees and I tried a granola bar for the first time that gave me the runs.

It was a cruddy learning moment. I should have checked the weather better beforehand. :: sigh ::
But you learned from it. Take that knowledge with you going forward and you won't repeat the same mistakes next time. That's part of training! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter