• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Tortola

We did the island tour and beach excursion. Taking a taxi bus there is not for the faint of heart. lol. The beach was lovely. The drive to the beach was very hilly, and hurricane damage was still very apparent. The views were absolutely stunning.

We went over to Jost Van Dyke. Beautiful beach, fun ride and the Soggy Dollar bar for Painkillers. We had a great time.

The Baths are on Virgin Gorda. We've only gone to Tortola to go through customs and then to Jost or Virgin Gorda.

Are there things to do on your own near where the ship docks? DH and I are not beach people (well... he isn't) and we really enjoy getting off the ship and exploring the local area, shopping and just site seeing. In St Thomas we are planning on taking the tram to the top of the mountain and also visiting Frenchtown Brewing. But we haven't really heard about much in Tortola.

Are there things to do on your own near where the ship docks? DH and I are not beach people (well... he isn't) and we really enjoy getting off the ship and exploring the local area, shopping and just site seeing. In St Thomas we are planning on taking the tram to the top of the mountain and also visiting Frenchtown Brewing. But we haven't really heard about much in Tortola.

We went earlier this year, we did an excursion so walked through the area to get to our transport. We didn't have time to explore, but looked like a lot of other port areas--liquior, jewelry, and restaurants/bars.

You want to go to the Baths about 15-20 years ago :) It was a LOT less crowded! But yeah, Gorda is a beautiful spot, even if it's gotten a bit touristy.
Willy T's is new & improved (or new and not the same as the old if you remember it "when"). Foxys - all the usual places are fun.
Are you renting a house, chartering from Moorings or ????
Have fun, it's a beautiful place.

We did a 4x4 tour and beach excursion. Had a great tour of the area, history and local happenings since the storms. Then about an hour and a half at the beach. I would say with the a bad back maybe see if hubby could ride in the front of one of the vehicles, it was very bumpy in the back. We were back at port by 1 and had time to walk thru the stores and get back for a lunch at cabanas.

Tell me what you did in Tortola. Always wanted to go to Baths but DH has bad back. :(

I know these things are completely subjective but I have a bad back and I was able to do the Baths last year. I understand that may not be possible for your husband. If he has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I found that the Baths were physically demanding but not any worse than a strenuous hike. I also thought it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever done and I am so glad I went for it. Our excursion (through DCL) took us to a restaurant with a pool and a bar after we traversed the Baths and swam in the ocean. A little relaxation by the pool (and a very heavy-handed bartender) really helped soothe the ache in my back!

Aristocat Charters - We had an awesome day. Lunch was included. People didn't show up so we had the boat, almost, to ourselves. I was able to just get out at all the stops and float on a pool noddle. Others snorkeled and said it was great. I'd check them out online.

My husband ended up feeling very weak after some nasty food poisoning so we just got off the boat and walked around. We got a map at the tourism booth, found a post office and sent post cards, and went to the small boat port to get our passports stamped! It was really an interesting area to walk around, but the damage from the hurricane was still very apparent. This was last October (2018).

My husband ended up feeling very weak after some nasty food poisoning so we just got off the boat and walked around. We got a map at the tourism booth, found a post office and sent post cards, and went to the small boat port to get our passports stamped! It was really an interesting area to walk around, but the damage from the hurricane was still very apparent. This was last October (2018).

I like the idea of getting our passports stamped! that would be cool. Thanks. I'm actually fine just wandering, and since we are there all day we can go out, head back to the ship for lunch and a cocktail and then out again.

I like the idea of getting our passports stamped! that would be cool. Thanks. I'm actually fine just wandering, and since we are there all day we can go out, head back to the ship for lunch and a cocktail and then out again.
That's EXACTLY what we did, with the addition of a short nap for poor hubby. He was only cleared from quarantine the evening before, and knew he wasn't up for the Baths (which was what we had booked). But because he was released from quarantine, we had to eat the cost of the excursion we didn't take :(

That's EXACTLY what we did, with the addition of a short nap for poor hubby. He was only cleared from quarantine the evening before, and knew he wasn't up for the Baths (which was what we had booked). But because he was released from quarantine, we had to eat the cost of the excursion we didn't take :(

Since you said he was cleared from quarantine, I'm guessing he saw the ship's dr. If so, the dr should have given you a note that you would have taken to the port excursion desk and they would have reimbursed you for the excursion cost, if booked through Disney. I slipped and sprained my ankle while on the ship and ended up on crutches. The dr gave me a note and they reimbursed the following day's excursion for myself, my dh, and my dd. Dh was reimbursed because they do it for one person to take care of me and dd because she was a minor and couldn't go on excursion by herself. If your's was somewhat recently, you could call Disney and ask to talk to someone. My accident happened in 2017. The dr didn't come out and tell us they would reimburse us. We mentioned the excursion for the following day and then he told us he'd give us a note. Just thought I'd share in case it could help you.

We did the baths. DH also has a bad back, in fact a couple of weeks before we left he was pretty much bedridden for 3 days due to his back! Turned out ok for him.

Since you said he was cleared from quarantine, I'm guessing he saw the ship's dr. If so, the dr should have given you a note that you would have taken to the port excursion desk and they would have reimbursed you for the excursion cost, if booked through Disney. I slipped and sprained my ankle while on the ship and ended up on crutches. The dr gave me a note and they reimbursed the following day's excursion for myself, my dh, and my dd. Dh was reimbursed because they do it for one person to take care of me and dd because she was a minor and couldn't go on excursion by herself. If your's was somewhat recently, you could call Disney and ask to talk to someone. My accident happened in 2017. The dr didn't come out and tell us they would reimburse us. We mentioned the excursion for the following day and then he told us he'd give us a note. Just thought I'd share in case it could help you.
We went to the excursion desk to find out if something like that was possible, they said bring a note from med bay and they would refund my husband's but not mine since I wasn't sick. We went to med bay and they wouldn't give a note since he was fine to go medically speaking. It was so frustrating. I was really surprised at the lack of "Disney Magic" with those interactions, and that excursion was something like $130 each!

We went to the excursion desk to find out if something like that was possible, they said bring a note from med bay and they would refund my husband's but not mine since I wasn't sick. We went to med bay and they wouldn't give a note since he was fine to go medically speaking. It was so frustrating. I was really surprised at the lack of "Disney Magic" with those interactions, and that excursion was something like $130 each!

Sorry to hear they didn't give you a refund. It's been a few years since I had it happen. I wonder if they changed their policy and they no longer do it? That's really crappy of them if they don't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter