Top of the world lounge at bay lake tower

if DVC started paying for TOTW, it would come out of ALL of our dues - not just direct. Wouldn't that keep it open to even us lowly resale owners?
Blue Card/Membership Extras are paid for by DVD (Disney Vacation Development), which is a marketing/sales subsidiary of Disney. DVD is NOT funded in any way by DVC members.

I sincerely doubt that DVC would ever fund TOTWL out of dues. I can't think of anything comparable in any of the DVC resorts which is funded by dues. If they ever did, though, then yes, it would have to be open to all owners using points to stay at BLT. I have no idea how much dues would go up to fund the lounge, but if DVC paid to operate it, DVC would also be entitled to the revenue it generated.

Blue Card/Membership Extras are paid for by DVD (Disney Vacation Development), which is a marketing/sales subsidiary of Disney. DVD is NOT funded in any way by DVC members.

I sincerely doubt that DVC would ever fund TOTWL out of dues. I can't think of anything comparable in any of the DVC resorts which is funded by dues. If they ever did, though, then yes, it would have to be open to all owners using points to stay at BLT. I have no idea how much dues would go up to fund the lounge, but if DVC paid to operate it, DVC would also be entitled to the revenue it generated.
Not funded in any way by DVC members? Don’t they profit from the contracts that they sell us DVC members?

Not funded in any way by DVC members? Don’t they profit from the contracts that they sell us DVC members?

DVD is a for profit company and of course they make money when they sell us contracts. But so does every other company who sells a product. That would be like saying I paid for my car dealer's house because I got a car from him.

DVC members, do not, however, pay for membership perks or anything else related to TOTWL out of dues in any way.

DVD is a for profit company and of course they make money when they sell us contracts. But so does every other company who sells a product. That would be like saying I paid for my car dealer's house because I got a car from him.

DVC members, do not, however, pay for membership perks or anything else related to TOTWL out of dues in any way.
I totally understand that our dues don’t fund the perks or TOTWL and fully expect DVD to make a profit on its sales, as they should like any other company who sells a product.

To use your own point of reference however, I think a more accurate statement is if your car dealer claimed that their dealership is in no way funded by the sale of its cars to their customers. Perhaps I took the statement I highlighted in bold out of context, and if so my apologies.

I totally understand that our dues don’t fund the perks or TOTWL and fully expect DVD to make a profit on its sales, as they should like any other company who sells a product.

To use your own point of reference however, I think a more accurate statement is if your car dealer claimed that their dealership is in no way funded by the sale of its cars to their customers. Perhaps I took the statement I highlighted in bold out of context, and if so my apologies.

I think in the context of the conversation was probably an important element of the point being made!

Some are not aware that TOTWL is a commercial element leased to Disney.

No worries!

I just saw someone post about this in a FB group... it seems that TOTWL is now only going to be available to direct members... However, on DVC Fan Paul states that the lounge is funded by dues and written into the deed of the contract? I don't have my contract yet (day 63 in resale process....) so I don't really have a way to check. Is this not true?

I just saw someone post about this in a FB group... it seems that TOTWL is now only going to be available to direct members... However, on DVC Fan Paul states that the lounge is funded by dues and written into the deed of the contract? I don't have my contract yet (day 63 in resale process....) so I don't really have a way to check. Is this not true?
The TOTWL is a Commercial Element and not funded by dues.

The TOTWL is a Commercial Element and not funded by dues.
To add to this, if the space was funded by dues, they could not legally exclude resale BLT owners as all BLT owners pay the same dues rate. As it is, the lounge probably has never been profitable so excluding resale owners would make it worse.

To piggy back on the answer you already received, DVC has not stated who will have access to it when it reopens. Until you hear it from DVC everything else is speculative.

To piggy back on the answer you already received, DVC has not stated who will have access to it when it reopens. Until you hear it from DVC everything else is speculative.
this was posted in the FB group... perhaps this is just some standard language but it was posted with today's announcement regarding TOTWL.

1652983059462.png

There were two Memebership Extras listed in the email, TOTWL was not under that heading.
View attachment 670279
I don't want to beat a dead horse here (and maybe this is old?) but I'll just share what was posted in the FB group about it... Honestly, it's irrelevant until it opens up. It was just one thing I was hoping to get to do as a resale owner. That said, I still feel good about the $25k I saved by buying resale!

1652983503805.png

I don't want to beat a dead horse here (and maybe this is old?) but I'll just share what was posted in the FB group about it... Honestly, it's irrelevant until it opens up. It was just one thing I was hoping to get to do as a resale owner. That said, I still feel good about the $25k I saved by buying resale!

View attachment 670281
And it says it's part of Membership Extras where?

Seriously, DVC has not announced any details whatsoever about the reopening.

Anyways, all I was doing was answering your initial question. Bowing out of this thread now. It's kind of pointless until something concrete is announced.

It is not funded by dues, nor is it contractually guaranteed in any way. It will not be in your deed. It is not in anyone's BLT deed.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge?CMP=EMC-1609551780|326064310&cid=PDM509814&bid=1058890613

That is the actual notice and it mentions admission criteria and the membership extra language.

This leads me to believe that it will indeed be part of membership extras from now on and resale owners will indeed be kept out.
Seeing the two things finally presented together makes me think like you that it is indeed moving to Membership Extras.....next question for me is whether or not guests will be allowed. We are staying in BLT at Thanksgiving but my family is staying at Contemporary in the main tower.

Seeing the two things finally presented together makes me think like you that it is indeed moving to Membership Extras.....next question for me is whether or not guests will be allowed. We are staying in BLT at Thanksgiving but my family is staying at Contemporary in the main tower.
I don't think that placement really means anything as far as TOTWL is concerned. It seems to be at the bottom of the page for all the perk descriptions. For example, you see it for the Pool Hopping perk. I think it is just a footer that goes on all the benefits & perks info.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/recreation-relaxation/pools/

It sounds like they will be sharing admission criteria, so hopefully we get it soon. Prior to the closure, I believe that they did limit guests to those staying on the members reservation or on another DVC reservation. So, family at a WDW hotel were not supposed to be allowed...whether that was enforced (or I remember wrong), I don't know.

I am hopeful, though, that because it is updated, we will know soon, and that it will be open by July 4th!!!

I hope that it will be open to DVC members regardless of where they’re staying. We stay off site about half the time we visit Orlando, and it would be nice to visit TOTWL when we do.

Latest posts

facebook twitter