Top 10 Things to Pack on a Disney Cruise

This was the first trip we used packing cubes (a tip from the DIS) and they are GREAT! Makes unpacking and repacking a breeze. I bought blue for my husband and pink for me.

We do this too. Gallon bags for clothes and quart size bags for everything else. We bring an entire box of quart bags (inside bags). :)

I used to use plastic bags. What I found is you can't put as much stuff in them and there is too much empty space in the bag. If you put too much in, they rip. Plus they aren't ideal for getting things in and out. Then I found some mesh packing cubes. I have two different ones that I use. The first is made by rick steves.. These are great for any luggage and I use these in my rolling suitcase I take through the airport.

The other one is made by tom bihn. If you aren't familiar with tom bihn bags, well, they aren't cheap but they are very high quality bags made in america. If you can afford them they are really worth it. We have 2 aeronaut bags with the custom fitting packing cubes. The benifit of these cubes is there is no unused space in the bag and you can get a crazy amount of stuff in them. We have packed a week's worth of clothes (and diapers) for our entire family with 4 kids (9, 6, 4 & 1.5) in only 2 of these bags. I can't rave enough about them. Again, not cheap but totally worth it.

In either case the advantage of packing cubes vs any type of ziplock or plastic packing bag is you can really pack a lot more in them without having to worry about the bag ripping. And they are made of a mesh material so it is easy to see what is in them.

After the trip, I take the plastic laundry bags in hotel rooms and line the packing cube and put all my dirty clothes in them. then when I get home, the bag goes strait to the laundry room.

Regardless fo which type you use another great advantage is when you get the "full service treatment" from TSA (that is when they want to find something that is causing a problem as your bags going through security). Packing cubes makes it very easy for them to pull everything out and find the problem. Then when they hand you back your bag, it is very easy to not only get everything back in, but it is still very organized. And since the bags only contain clothes, they typically never have to opend then and mess with your unmentionables. Again, these are vital to travel!

I second the over the door shoe hanger and power strips. I would also add waterproof command hooks for the bathroom. Way too many wet bathing suits that you have to move on and off the clothes line when you want to take a shower. Just put the hooks on the wall and some extra drip dry space without having to move them all the time.

I overpack like crazy. Still have plenty of room in my standard inside cabin. No worries.

OMG. I always overpack and am scared that their wont be enough space to put our stuff.

The DW and I just got off the Fantasy today and had a state room with verandah. Just the two of us. Their was plenty of room and outlets so we did not need a power strip or the over the door shoe hanger. Maybe with more then two in the room you would need these things. One thing that was useful to us was two water bottles.We bought two water bottles at CVS or the dollar store and when we needed water for things such as the movies or excursions we just took them to the soda dispensers on deck 11 and filled them with ice and water.The water on board is just as good as bottled water so their is no need to bring a case of water on board.

My top 10 for me and my wife, in no particular order:

1. Less
2. Less
3. Not as much as you think.
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
8. Passport or other identification
9. Less
10. Remove that

Love it!!!:) We vowed that on our next cruise everyone gets one suitcase!!! This time we had five for three of us - okay one and a half had FE stuff in them - also not going to do as much FE stuff.

This is the first I'm hearing about packing cubes. I just googled them. It looks like they are mesh suitcases to put in a suitcase. Am I looking at the correct thing?

I second the over the door shoe holder, the power strip, and the pop up hamper. We kept everything in the over the door shoe holder -hung it on the shower door facing outward - that way if someone was in the shower you could get to it - we had one with 24 pockets and everyone of them had something in it. The power strip was great with three people - two of which were kids that charged I-pods and I-pads each night. The pop up hamper fit right under the desk - out of the way and great to keep the dirty stuff off of the floor. I also would second the flashlight - we gave them as FE gifts - and we happen to be on our cruise when the Carnival Triumph had their fire (passed right by them in the middle of the night - happened to be on the verandah - didn't know why they were just sitting there until the next day - that was dark ship - very few lights - wasn't sure it was even a cruise ship until we got closer) - so I am sure some of those people would have loved a flashlight so I will make sure I always have one. We did bring suction cup hooks for the shower, but we did not do too much swimming - maybe because it was February and a little cool on two of our three sea days - but my next cruise is May-June so I may need them more.

Just off 8 nights on the Magic, four is us one room. Space was tight but we packed what we wanted (and had too much) because we were driving to Galveston, not flying. My recommendations - ziplock bags of all sizes for packing at the end - lots of little things to pack that we didn't start with. Small can of air freshener or Lysol for the bathroom after smelly BMs. Wish I had a fan because it got pretty warm in the room the last two nights, but not sure if any are allowed. A flashlight would have been great because the room gets really dark at night.

I'm a little paranoid about this sort of thing, but I always bring a back up camera.... and a second spare battery for the first camera. To me, looking at pictures when we get home is the next best thing to being on the cruise :)

This is the first I'm hearing about packing cubes. I just googled them. It looks like they are mesh suitcases to put in a suitcase. Am I looking at the correct thing?

Check post 42 in this thread, she has a link to the packing cubes.

This is not the first time I have seen the suggestion to bring sand toys, but I am curious as to how you travled with them? We are going to be on the ship for Easter and I would love for the Easter Bunny to bring sand toys for DS. But how do I get it on the boat?

We were going for Easter as well and I had baskets made for each of my kids by Shirley at The Perfect Gift and had her put some sand toys in the baskets. This way I didn't have to worry about travelling with all the toys, candy and stuff. Her website is listed under one of the stickey's at the top or search baskets by Shirley.

I love the idea of the flashlight with the glow in the dark handles!!! I will be on the lookout for one. :)

FOR ALL YOUR MUSIC, MOVIES, PICTURES, and BOOKS!

Upload to my Wi-drive before I leave home. Great on ship with no internet.
Connects to your Ipad, Iphone , Kindle etc. thru wifi :thumbsup2

This works great for Ipads and kindles.
Load at home before you go books, movies, pictures, music, etc..
Wi Fi connection with Apps for Kindle & Ipad
I own two and are great!
Solves problem with lack of storage.
NO NEED to buy Ipad with larger memory !!!

Kingston Wi-Drive 64 GB USB 2.0 Pocket-sized Portable Storage WID/64GB-A
Can be found on Amazon.

Free Wi-Drive Apps with Additional Features - downloadable at Apple's App Store, Google Play and Amazon App store
File Support - Wi-Drive can store any file type, but playback and viewing is based on the files that are supported by the moblie device.
Cable - Mini-USB to USB cable included
User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable
Local Storage - wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive App and the Wi-Drive hardware.
Convenient - pocket-sized for easy transportability

Rechargeable Battery - up to four hours of continuous use

Kingston Wi-Drive--Portable, Wireless Storage
Kingston's revolutionary new Wi-Drive gives you added, Flash-based storage for mobile devices, including Apple devices, Android devices, and Amazon Kindle Fire, so that you can share photos, videos, music and more with two other users. Share documents and other content, or stream media to break through the storage limitations of your mobile devices.

With integrated Wi-Fi and four hours of battery life, Kingston's new Wi-Drive offers pocket-sized portable storage and easy file sharing for Apple devices and Kindle Fire. Accessing or sharing your personal media has never been easier. Take it anywhere, in your purse, backpack or briefcase, to share your files, music, photos, videos and more.

Wi-Drive is backed by free technical support and legendary Kingston reliability. Kingston's Wi-Drive offers great portability, while delivering expanded storage and sharing options.

Portability
The Kingston Wi-Drive is Wi-Fi enabled so you can take your favorite media with you--and not be tethered to your computer. Just use your digital device as a player and display

Available in 32GB, 64GB or 128GB, the Wi-Drive adds storage space for more of your favorite music, photos, videos, PDFs and more. Take media or work files with you wherever you go--you're not limited by the storage on your portable devices any longer.

11a.jpg

Embraer said:
Prohibited Items, does an extension cord mean something other than a power strip?

Funny thing they are are on the prohibited list - Guest Services loaned us a really long one to use in the room last week, just a regular extension cord. Free to borrow, but they would have charged us if we didn't return at the end of the cruise.

Another thing that works well is to use the packages the some sheets or blankets come in. They are plastic, and have a zipper around them. An added layer of protection if anything leaks in your bag, or if your entire suitcase rips open, the contents are still held together.

We have one duffel bag that bleeds when it gets wet (like on the tarmac when they are loading a plane) so the plastic cubes are great.

Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter