To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

2022 Madison M Weather Forecast - 9 days to go!

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 8.34.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 8.33.41 AM.png

Date of Forecast - WC Range - Precipitation Chance - Cloud Cover - Wind (all forecasts for 7am to 10am)
11/3/22 - 22-30F - 4-8% chance of snow/rain - 63-65% cloudy - 5-7 mph Westerly
11/4/22 - 19-25F - 9-12% chance of snow/rain - 62-65% cloudy - 6-10 mph Westerly

A tad bit colder forecast today. I'm still fine with that, but it definitely pushes the idea of tank top and shorts to more of a debate.

I find temps in the 30s to be the hardest to dress comfortably, for whatever reason. 40 or above I'm great in shorts and a t-shirt, 20s or below I can comfortably layer without overheating. But in the 30s, it feels like a layer leads to overheating, but shorts and t-shirt is uncomfortably chilly.

I find temps in the 30s to be the hardest to dress comfortably, for whatever reason. 40 or above I'm great in shorts and a t-shirt, 20s or below I can comfortably layer without overheating. But in the 30s, it feels like a layer leads to overheating, but shorts and t-shirt is uncomfortably chilly.

Yea, I don't even consider anything but a tank top over 40, and don't even consider anything but shorts over 30. So it takes under 30 before I even wonder about some light leggings. I don't like how they restrict my movement. So your 30s, is a lot like my 20s. Last year was:

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 27mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 28°F; FL - 26°F
End: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 28°F; FL - 26°F

I wore shorts, a light long sleeve, light gloves, and a headband. The light long sleeve was too warm for me. I pushed the sleeves up by Mile 9.

1667571353980.png

So this year is definitely tank top and old socks as arm warmers if I can tolerate it. Then toss the old socks when needed.

2022 Madison M Weather Forecast - 8 days to go!

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.50.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.50.45 AM.png

Date of Forecast - WC Range - Precipitation Chance - Cloud Cover - Wind (all forecasts for 7am to 10am)
11/4/22 - 19-25F - 9-12% chance of snow/rain - 62-65% cloudy - 6-10 mph Westerly
11/5/22 - 18-24F - 14-16% chance of snow/rain - 52-64% cloudy - 4-9 mph Westerly

Fall 2022 Girls on the Run 5k w/ G

UnlawfulSimplisticAnophelesmosquito-max-1mb.gif

It's a Gigi takeover! Hi everyone, I'm so excited to tell you all about my experience with the Girls on the Run, and the 5k I did with my dad.

I decided to sign up for the Girls on the Run program because it was the first year I was age eligible to join. I really wanted to see what it was all about, and whether it was worth doing it again. It was right after school, so usually I had to get home, eat a snack, and then head back to my school where the practice was being held. There were five coaches, and about 10-20 other girls from 3rd grade to 5th grade in the program. We practiced two times per week, and about 90 min a day. Although thankfully we didn't actually run for the whole 90 min a day, instead we did about 30 min of running (sometimes 20) and a lot of team building and fun games. I missed a few practices along the way because I was sick. I also missed the practice 5k, but I felt confident because I have done 5ks before.

The race was on November 5th, 2022 in Waunakee. The weather didn't look the greatest in the forecasts ahead of time. I was also coming off a sickness for the last week and a half. So the discussion with my dad for the week leading into the race, was to be comfortable with possibly not being able to do it. Sick + wet/wind = Not great. I've been working on math in the 3rd grade.

On Friday, my dad and I got lots of supplies together in case we actually did the race. We decided to wear the long sleeve shirts they gave us as our outermost layer, and then we both wore a water proof wind jacket underneath. This way we could represent the race, but stay dry (we didn't stay dry... :scared1:).

Dad woke up and checked the weather. It wasn't as bad as it could be, but it wasn't great. There was no lightning in the area, but there was a storm off in the distance that might hit while we're on the race course. We were also going to have to deal with some crazy wind. I had a nutella waffle for breakfast. We both got dressed and headed out the door around 7:25am. There was only street parking and dad wanted to get there early. The drive over was mostly uneventful. I watched Sing 2 on my iPad. For most of the drive over, it wasn't really raining. But as we got closer to the race location, it rained more and more. When we got to the race location, we parked the car, and not long after we arrived there were lots of other people showing up. Dad checked the weather radar and saw that after this little patch of rain passed, we would be good for a bit. But we were probably going to get some rain when we were running. We got our running gear on, and then headed over to the race location.

My friends were starting to collect at our race flag. Everyone showed up despite the bad weather. One of my coaches gave me a tattoo (don't worry it's only temporary) that said "Superstar". A different coach gave me a hair tie with a little blue ribbon on it. My friends and I were being silly. We also saw Scoopie the Culver's mascot. I asked my dad if he thought Scoopie was racing too, but he said it was doubtful. My dad told me to gather my friends so we could take a group picture.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.19 AM.png

Then my dad and I took a picture together.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.34 AM.png

Around 8:30am the announcer led us through some stretches and cheers. Our cheer is "We're strong. We know it. And this is how we show it. Girls on the Run is so much fun. Girls on the Run is #1." Before long it was time to head to the starting line. They let all of the groups of girls in Wave 1 head to the starting line together. Which means the groups got a little broken up and I wasn't standing to all my friends anymore. My dad and I had settled on doing unstructured run/walk. So when I wanted to walk, I would just say so, and when I wanted to run, I would say so. There were about 750 Girls on the Run runners and about 1000 running buddies. At around 9am, they sounded a fire truck horn to announce the start of the race, and we were off.

Conditions - 🌧 Light Rain, Wind 16mph to 32mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 56°F + 56°F; FL - 57°F
End: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 57°F; FL - 57°F

Mile 1

Mile 1 was hard, and I felt like I walked most of it. I saw some of my friends running too and would shout encouragements at them. We had to run up a hill, and we decided to walk most of the uphill and run the downhill. At this time it was mostly spitting rain, and it wasn't that bad. But the wind was pretty heavy. During mile 1 I met my competition. When we headed down the hill, one of my coaches behind me yelled "Gigi, I'm coming for you." That's all I needed to hear. Challenge accepted, you aren't going to catch me. So for the remainder of the race, I kept looking back to make sure we stayed ahead of her. I didn't see her for the remainder of the race. We finished the first mile in about 14:07 minutes.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.50 AM.png

Mile 2

Mile 2 had a nice spot where we could see the runners ahead of us on top of the hill. So then we got to the top, and then we could see everyone else behind us in the distance. The rain was starting to pick up a little bit, but it wasn't that bad. Once we got down the big hill we reached the only water stop. As we got closer to the water stop the rain and wind were starting to pick up even more. I asked my dad a few times how much further we had to go, and he told me we were a little past halfway. Around this time in the race I saw more of my friends running. I saw Alice. Before I knew it we were finished with Mile 2 in 13:28.

heavy-rain.gif

Mile 3

Mile 3 was hard because it was getting even rainier and windy. At one point there was a large crowd of people that were cheering in the distance. My dad encouraged me to do a super boost past them. When I did the crowd went wild. They screamed! It was a boost to my spirit. Despite the bad weather they came to cheer us on. Now the rain was really getting crazy. Dad and I were yelling at the clouds to give us MORE RAIN. RAIN HARDER. And... it did. We probably shouldn't have done that.

little-rain-tornado-rainstorm.gif

It was wild. The other people around us couldn't do anything but laugh. Then we came to the end of the third mile at 13:12 and we were in the home stretch.

3.11 miles

With as hard as it was raining and throwing us around with the wind, all you could do was smile. We're strong, and we were showing it. This picture barely does it justice in terms of how just how soaked we were.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.58 AM.png

My dad's shirt was originally pink, but it was so rain soaked it turned red. We found the finish line and super boosted to it. We finished in 42:08. That's my second fastest 5k.

When we crossed the finish line, I found a few of my friends. And I beat my coach! So all in all it was a great race. Then my dad and I walked back to the car and got cleaned up. He brought me some dry clothes to change into.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.15.26 AM.png

So what are my thoughts about the Girls on the Run program? I loved it. So so much. I want to do it again when it is offered. Hopefully next time it's not so cold, rainy, and windy. But I didn't let that damper my spirits. I'd like to thank my dad for taking me to the race and running it with me. And also thank my grandma and mom for taking me to practice and picking me up. And lastly I'd like to thank my friends and coaches who helped encourage me all along the way. Thanks for reading and see you again!

:wave2:

2022 Madison M Weather Forecast - 7 days to go!

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.18.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.18.54 PM.png

11/5/22 - 18-24F - 14-16% chance of snow/rain - 52-64% cloudy - 4-9 mph Westerly
11/6/22 - 12-20F - 0-3% chance of snow/rain - 39-54% cloudy - 7-10 mph Westerly

It's getting chilly on those forecasts. What a dramatic change it'll be from Wed/Thurs to Sunday morning.

1 Week to go - Canova Specific Phase - Week 9/10

giphy.gif

10/31/22-11/6/22
Tues (11/1): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:28 min/mile, 123 bpm)
Wed (11/2): 9 miles @ 85% M Tempo (8:05 min/mile, 135 bpm)
Thurs (11/3): Canova Minutes
Fri (11/4): 60 min @ Easy (Treadmill)
Sat (11/5): Girls on the Run 5k + LIIFT4-Chest/Triceps + 4 miles @ 79% M Tempo (8:29 min/mile, 128 bpm)
Sun (11/6): 6.5 miles @ 91% M Tempo (7:40 min/mile, 136 bpm) + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps

Total Run Miles - 47.0 miles
Total Run Time - 6:47 hours
Total Strength Time - 0:51 hours
Total Training Time - 7:39 hours

Tuesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 8mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 42°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 43°F; FL - 62°F

The important part of the week was that I never got the sickness that G had. Hooray! That's what I was thinking on my way to work. As I was crossing the street at the cross walk, I could see a bike coming from my right that didn't look like it was going to stop. As I kept my focus on the bike, I could feel a presence coming from my right side. The car was making a sharp left turn at the 4-way and was totally infringing on the lane space. It came so so close to hitting me. So close I instinctively put my right hand down in an effort to touch the hood of the car and propel myself up and off it. Thankfully it saw me late and slowed down. But it was about 1-2 ft away from hitting me. Ugh...

Just a simple easy run, and I honestly don't remember anything about it. If I remember right, this might have been the first run where I could tell my legs were in a taper. Just sort of getting looser and buzzier.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 9mph to 18mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 47°F; FL - 64°F
End: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 47°F; FL - 64°F

Dropping the moderate run down from 11 miles to 9 miles. Not quite as smooth as I would hope, but feeling pretty good.

Thursday

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 16mph to 29mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 55°F; FL - 66°F
End: Temp+Dew = 63°F + 54°F; FL - 66°F

Last truly hard run. And not that hard of a run all things considered. It's an interesting one from Canova. In the classic Hansons this would be a max 10 mile marathon tempo run. But here I'm doing 3 min intervals at 100% marathon tempo with some moderate pacing between. The total time spent at 100% M Tempo is around 4.25 miles. I would have liked the last hard run to be in cooler conditions, but you don't get to choose.

10 sets of (3 min @ 80-90% M Tempo + 3 min @ 100-103% M Tempo)

80-90% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:44-8:26 min/mile
100-103% M Tempo Goal Pace = 6:49-7:02 min/mile

No T+D adjustment in specific phase, but adjustment would have been 7 sec/mile.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.48.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.48.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 12.48.53 PM.png

80-90% M Tempo Actual Pace = 8:17 min/mile
80-90% M Tempo Grade Adj Pace = 8:11 min/mile

100-103% M Tempo Actual Pace = 7:04 min/mile
100-103% M Tempo Grade Adj Pace = 7:02 min/mile

I'll take it. I would have liked it to feel a little easier, but honestly it wasn't too bad. Especially when you consider that it was a rather sudden change in T+D and an adjustment of 7 sec/mile would have been needed. So what was a 7:04 min/mile average was more like a 6:57 min/mile average. Based on the weather forecasts, I'm expecting to see some cooler weather on race day. All in all a good last hard run.

Friday

Friday was a deluge of rain. It caused me some pause on how to approach the run. I was scheduled for about an hour of easy running. If I ran outside, then I'd get my easy shoes (Rides) pretty wet for the GOTR 5k the next morning. I could pull out my old retired Rides that are hanging around, but do I really want to risk unretiring shoes this close to race day? Or, I could run on the treadmill, but I know that it doesn't give the same stimulus as running outside. My MIL questioned whether I really wanted to run on the treadmill this close to race day. I said, "Ultimately, if a single day on the treadmill in a 30 week period of time makes or breaks the marathon training, then the training wasn't good enough in the first place." I went with the safest decision and ran on the treadmill. It's been since April, so I forgot my mph conversions and came out the gate way too hot. But kept backing off the pace until I felt comfortable. Did 60 min of treadmill in total.

Saturday

After the GOTR 5k, we headed home and I did the LIIFT 4-Chest/Triceps workout.

We headed to play practice, and had a deer cross the interstate in front of us by about 0.25 mile. So we were safe, but there was quite the darting of traffic ahead of us to avoid it. No one hit it.

Steph was working, so I had to wait until she got home to run outside.

Conditions - 🌬️ Windy and Overcast, Wind 24mph to 40mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 46°F + 43°F; FL - 37°F
End: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 42°F; FL - 37°F

Not great conditions out there. It was misty and super windy. I think even 40mph winds is underselling the strength of the wind. I wanted to do something around 30 min, and I wanted to keep it relatively easy. Not super easy, but not hard either. I just kind of let my body do what it wanted, and today it wanted to do around 80% M Tempo. Body felt alright.

Sunday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 18mph to 35mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 44°F + 39°F; FL - 36°F
End: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 40°F; FL - 36°F

I was looking to do something less than 60 min. Might be around 85% M Tempo, maybe 90% M Tempo, but at this point in the taper I'm not making gains. Just looking to maintain the gains made to this point. So I just settled into a nice pace. Ended up being 7:40 min/mile and felt decent. Not quite snappy and poppy, but pretty good.

I did LIIFT4 afterwards.

And that brings us to the last week of training. Not much left to do. A couple of easy runs, a small 2 mile M Tempo refresher, and then race day will be here.

2022 Madison M Weather Forecast - 6 days to go!

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 6.16.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 6.16.28 AM.png

11/6/22 - 12-20F - 0-3% chance of snow/rain - 39-54% cloudy - 7-10 mph Westerly
11/7/22 - 13-19F - 0-3% chance of snow/rain - 47-50% cloudy - 8-11 mph Westerly

It's getting chilly on those forecasts. What a dramatic change it'll be from Wed/Thurs to Sunday morning.

Winter Hard Running Clothing Choices

Another good reason to have a training journal, you can look through old posts for weather temps and what you wore in training last year.

Summary:

-2°F WC - I was in my grey heavy columbia, medium columbia pants, and grey beanie/medium gloves. No jacket. I felt ready to attack the workout.
3°F WC - UA pants and the Lulu over them. Too restrictive for first two miles, but settled in eventually.
13°F WC
- Shorts, tank, and arm sleeves. I swung a bit too far the other direction on this one. Albeit I wasn't all that uncomfortable, but a touch cold.
13°F WC - I wore shorts. It was a little cold for shorts, but I survived.
15°F -
I wore my medium columbia pants, Lulu shorts w/pockets, heavy columbia top, and a headband. I was a little warm, but overall it was tolerable.
18°F WC - I wore shorts and tank for this one (no arm warmers?). Based on my triceps, that was REALLY pushing it. They felt like they were on the verge of frostbite, so I gotta be a bit more cautious.
20°F WC - grey columbia baselayer and heavy columbia pants = overdressed
25°F WC - Shorts, tank, temp was good, and the winds weren't all that bad. Close to a best case scenario try-out.

12/16/21

The planned workout was 3x200m + 6x1mile + 3x200m.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 17mph to 34mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 31°F + 20°F; FL - 20°F
End: Temp+Dew = 30°F + 19°F; FL - 20°F

I wore my grey columbia baselayer and heavy columbia pants (despite being the warmest they're also the most flexible). I feel like I may have overdressed slightly on this one as my legs did get quite warm.

12/19/21

I was scheduled for an 11 mile LR. Steph had to work so I was up at 6am. Ehhh more like 6:15am. So I was running a little late to get the whole workout in on time.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 4mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 15°F; FL - 13°F
End: Temp+Dew = 20°F + 16°F; FL - 13°F

Shorts, tank, and arm sleeves. I swung a bit too far the other direction on this one. Albeit I wasn't all that uncomfortable, but a touch cold.

1/17/22

16 mile LR

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 9°F + 5°F; FL - -2°F
End: Temp+Dew = 16°F + 11°F; FL - -2°F

I was in my grey heavy columbia, medium columbia pants, and grey beanie/medium gloves. No jacket. I felt ready to attack the workout. The goal was to be somewhere around 7:40s.

1/27/22

14 mile Progression

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 24°F + 17°F; FL - 13°F
End: Temp+Dew = 20°F + 13°F; FL - 13°F

I wore shorts. It was a little cold for shorts, but I survived.

1/30/22

Pushing the LR up to 17.5 miles (2:15 hrs). This is longer than I went during the 2021 Madison M training cycle. I did my normal long run morning routine and took in my normal nutrition during the run itself.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 14°F + 11°F; FL - 3°F
End: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 14°F; FL - 3°F

This was a hard one to dress for. I didn't want to wear the jacket, so I went heavy columbia upper. But the pants were a tough decision. It was too cold for shorts. But I wanted to wear my Lulu shorts with pockets to carry my nutrition. The medium/heavy columbia pants were probably going to be a touch too warm for this effort. But the lighter UA pants are a little more restrictive. So I was going to have to fight through the resistance a bit more. I went with the UA pants and the Lulu over them.

For the first mile or two, I was really not pleased with my choice of the UA pants. They were more restrictive than I wanted them to be. I felt like I was really pushing through it. Eventually that feeling faded and I settled in. This was a good long run overall.

2/1/22

Rat-A-Tat time! I did a 4x400m version on the treadmill a few weeks ago. But this time it was the full workout and it would be outside. I was aiming for something in the 6:20-6:30 range.

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 22mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 27°F + 20°F; FL - 18°F
End: Temp+Dew = 24°F + 17°F; FL - 18°F

I wore shorts and tank for this one. Based on my triceps, that was REALLY pushing it. They felt like they were on the verge of frostbite, so I gotta be a bit more cautious.

2/6/22

I had originally planned on 12 miles, but the lack of a hard run on Friday pushed me to decide to do 14 miles instead.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 20mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 25°F + 20°F; FL - 15°F
End: Temp+Dew = 29°F + 23°F; FL - 15°F

I wore my medium columbia pants, Lulu shorts w/pockets, heavy columbia top, and a headband. I was a little warm, but overall it was tolerable.

2/8/22

Vigil Miles!

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 8mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 28°F; FL - 25°F
End: Temp+Dew = 31°F + 28°F; FL - 25°F

Shorts, tank, temp was good, and the winds weren't all that bad. Close to a best case scenario try-out.

View attachment 716793

It's a Gigi takeover! Hi everyone, I'm so excited to tell you all about my experience with the Girls on the Run, and the 5k I did with my dad.

I decided to sign up for the Girls on the Run program because it was the first year I was age eligible to join. I really wanted to see what it was all about, and whether it was worth doing it again. It was right after school, so usually I had to get home, eat a snack, and then head back to my school where the practice was being held. There were five coaches, and about 10-20 other girls from 3rd grade to 5th grade in the program. We practiced two times per week, and about 90 min a day. Although thankfully we didn't actually run for the whole 90 min a day, instead we did about 30 min of running (sometimes 20) and a lot of team building and fun games. I missed a few practices along the way because I was sick. I also missed the practice 5k, but I felt confident because I have done 5ks before.

The race was on November 5th, 2022 in Waunakee. The weather didn't look the greatest in the forecasts ahead of time. I was also coming off a sickness for the last week and a half. So the discussion with my dad for the week leading into the race, was to be comfortable with possibly not being able to do it. Sick + wet/wind = Not great. I've been working on math in the 3rd grade.

On Friday, my dad and I got lots of supplies together in case we actually did the race. We decided to wear the long sleeve shirts they gave us as our outermost layer, and then we both wore a water proof wind jacket underneath. This way we could represent the race, but stay dry (we didn't stay dry... :scared1:).

Dad woke up and checked the weather. It wasn't as bad as it could be, but it wasn't great. There was no lightning in the area, but there was a storm off in the distance that might hit while we're on the race course. We were also going to have to deal with some crazy wind. I had a nutella waffle for breakfast. We both got dressed and headed out the door around 7:25am. There was only street parking and dad wanted to get there early. The drive over was mostly uneventful. I watched Sing 2 on my iPad. For most of the drive over, it wasn't really raining. But as we got closer to the race location, it rained more and more. When we got to the race location, we parked the car, and not long after we arrived there were lots of other people showing up. Dad checked the weather radar and saw that after this little patch of rain passed, we would be good for a bit. But we were probably going to get some rain when we were running. We got our running gear on, and then headed over to the race location.

My friends were starting to collect at our race flag. Everyone showed up despite the bad weather. One of my coaches gave me a tattoo (don't worry it's only temporary) that said "Superstar". A different coach gave me a hair tie with a little blue ribbon on it. My friends and I were being silly. We also saw Scoopie the Culver's mascot. I asked my dad if he thought Scoopie was racing too, but he said it was doubtful. My dad told me to gather my friends so we could take a group picture.

View attachment 716783

Then my dad and I took a picture together.

View attachment 716781

Around 8:30am the announcer led us through some stretches and cheers. Our cheer is "We're strong. We know it. And this is how we show it. Girls on the Run is so much fun. Girls on the Run is #1." Before long it was time to head to the starting line. They let all of the groups of girls in Wave 1 head to the starting line together. Which means the groups got a little broken up and I wasn't standing to all my friends anymore. My dad and I had settled on doing unstructured run/walk. So when I wanted to walk, I would just say so, and when I wanted to run, I would say so. There were about 750 Girls on the Run runners and about 1000 running buddies. At around 9am, they sounded a fire truck horn to announce the start of the race, and we were off.

Conditions - 🌧 Light Rain, Wind 16mph to 32mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 56°F + 56°F; FL - 57°F
End: Temp+Dew = 57°F + 57°F; FL - 57°F

Mile 1

Mile 1 was hard, and I felt like I walked most of it. I saw some of my friends running too and would shout encouragements at them. We had to run up a hill, and we decided to walk most of the uphill and run the downhill. At this time it was mostly spitting rain, and it wasn't that bad. But the wind was pretty heavy. During mile 1 I met my competition. When we headed down the hill, one of my coaches behind me yelled "Gigi, I'm coming for you." That's all I needed to hear. Challenge accepted, you aren't going to catch me. So for the remainder of the race, I kept looking back to make sure we stayed ahead of her. I didn't see her for the remainder of the race. We finished the first mile in about 14:07 minutes.

View attachment 716780

View attachment 716784

View attachment 716779

Mile 2

Mile 2 had a nice spot where we could see the runners ahead of us on top of the hill. So then we got to the top, and then we could see everyone else behind us in the distance. The rain was starting to pick up a little bit, but it wasn't that bad. Once we got down the big hill we reached the only water stop. As we got closer to the water stop the rain and wind were starting to pick up even more. I asked my dad a few times how much further we had to go, and he told me we were a little past halfway. Around this time in the race I saw more of my friends running. I saw Alice. Before I knew it we were finished with Mile 2 in 13:28.

View attachment 716795

Mile 3

Mile 3 was hard because it was getting even rainier and windy. At one point there was a large crowd of people that were cheering in the distance. My dad encouraged me to do a super boost past them. When I did the crowd went wild. They screamed! It was a boost to my spirit. Despite the bad weather they came to cheer us on. Now the rain was really getting crazy. Dad and I were yelling at the clouds to give us MORE RAIN. RAIN HARDER. And... it did. We probably shouldn't have done that.

View attachment 716794

It was wild. The other people around us couldn't do anything but laugh. Then we came to the end of the third mile at 13:12 and we were in the home stretch.

3.11 miles

With as hard as it was raining and throwing us around with the wind, all you could do was smile. We're strong, and we were showing it. This picture barely does it justice in terms of how just how soaked we were.

View attachment 716778

My dad's shirt was originally pink, but it was so rain soaked it turned red. We found the finish line and super boosted to it. We finished in 42:08. That's my second fastest 5k.

When we crossed the finish line, I found a few of my friends. And I beat my coach! So all in all it was a great race. Then my dad and I walked back to the car and got cleaned up. He brought me some dry clothes to change into.

View attachment 716782

So what are my thoughts about the Girls on the Run program? I loved it. So so much. I want to do it again when it is offered. Hopefully next time it's not so cold, rainy, and windy. But I didn't let that damper my spirits. I'd like to thank my dad for taking me to the race and running it with me. And also thank my grandma and mom for taking me to practice and picking me up. And lastly I'd like to thank my friends and coaches who helped encourage me all along the way. Thanks for reading and see you again!

:wave2:
Congratulations, G! I just want to know how you snuck some onions into my computer? I LOVE the pics with you and Dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter