To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Shang-Chi Costume

This costume ended up being much simpler than G's Ms. Marvel costume. Which is a good thing since Ms. Marvel took me months, and I only had a few weeks before Halloween for Shang-Chi. So I should be able to cover most of the steps in a single post. The experience gained from Ms. Marvel made this one easier. Plus, since the Shang-Chi costume mainly consists of the ten rings (which is a repetitive exercise in making each one) it was fairly straight forward. The goal was to make the ten rings look similar to this:

1666718467081.png

As you can see from the image of Xu Wenwu, the rings are not all the same size and are form fitted to his arm. So that meant it was going to take some math to replicate these on my arm.

thumbnail_IMG_4855.jpeg

I started by measuring my arm from the elbow to the wrist to determine how much space the five rings could each take up. I also wanted to make sure that each ring had space between them too. The Plastazote LD45 foam (link) comes in three widths (4mm, 6mm, and 8mm). The rings will have two sides and a core. So they could be as thick as 24mm (3x8mm) or as thin as 12mm (3x4mm). With the distance of my elbow to wrist at 210mm, I had about 50mm for each ring space. Given this, and how things played out once I started, I ended up going with 4mm foam for the outside pieces of the ring, and 8mm for the core of the ring. I chose 8mm for the core because the width of the EL wire (link) is roughly 2.5mm. So if I wrapped twice on any ring, then it would be about 5mm across.

Once I knew how thick each ring was going to be, I tried to measure the circumference of my arm in five places where the five rings would sit. I wanted the inside of the ring to be reasonably snug against my arm so that there would be little incentive for it to move around much. Once I had the circumference, I could calculate the diameter of the inner circle of the ring. I settled on making the ring 2.5 cm in thickness when viewing in the lateral plane. So I added 5cm to the calculated diameter of each ring, which would give me the total diameter of the outer circle. I then halved that value, and it gave me the radius (or the ability to determine the center of the outer/inner ring. I could then use a compass set to those distances to trace both the inner and outer circles on the plastazote foam. It ended up being a lot of math, but once I figured out the pattern it wasn't terribly difficult to replicate it.

thumbnail_IMG_4854.jpeg

So for each of the ten rings, I would need two 4mm rings (to serve as the outers), and one 8mm ring (to serve as the inner core). The 8mm core ring was the same as the 4mm ring, except I reduced the size of the outer portion of the ring by 5mm (2.5 mm from each side of the radius). This would leave a gap around the ring for the EL wire to sit in.

thumbnail_IMG_4856.jpeg

The above is representative of an inner 8mm core ring. Then it came time to determine how to intermix the EL wire with the ten rings themselves. When I had originally come up with this concept, I thought the EL wire would be stiff like chicken wire. So I would put it into shape, it would hold that shape, and then I would clasp the foam rings around the rigid EL wire. But the EL wire is not rigid. It's more like weed wacker wire. It is flexible enough to go into shapes, but it won't hold that shape on its own. So I pivoted to the idea of weaving the EL wire through the rings instead. So what I ended up doing was cutting a small gap in the inner core ring of about 5mm. This would allow me to weave the EL wire into the inside of the core ring, come out on the outer edge of the core ring, follow along the circumference of the core ring, and then go back into the same hole to pass through to the next ring in succession. I could pull the wire taunt and it would hold its shape around the inner core foam ring.

So ultimately, this was what each of the ten rings consisted of:

thumbnail_IMG_4857.jpeg

Two 4mm rings, and an inner core 8mm ring. I used the Dremel 4000-2/30 (link) with flex shaft attachment (link) with a small engraving tip to make random designs in each of the rings. This gave the appearance of inscriptions, writings, or designs on the sides of each of the rings. I cleaned up the inners and outers of each of the foam rings using the Dremel as well with a sanding tip.

For painting them, I used the same technique as the Ms. Marvel bracelet. First, I put on a layer of Flexbond primer (link). I did actually forget to do this on one set of rings, and it does make a difference. So don't skip this step. It makes the paint pop a little more, and it fills some of the small crevices that the paint just seems to skip over. Once the Flexbond dried, then I added a layer of Liquitex Basics Acrylic Mars Black paint (link). This would give it the appearance of an old finish. Skipping the black undercoat means the metallic gold overcoat doesn't pop as well. Once the black acrylic dried, then I put on a layer of Rub 'n Buff Metallic Gold Leaf (link). This stuff is oil based, so avoid getting it on your skin as much as possible. To add it to the rings, I placed a few layers of paper towel into an old sock. I then placed my hand into the sock so that I had the sock and multiple layers of paper towel between me and the paint. I added the gold leaf to the sock in small droplets, then dabbed those small droplets into multiple places around the ring. Then I spread it lightly over the ring, being cognizant of trying not to press too hard as to fill the gaps I had made with the dremel. This would leave the gaps with a more black appearance, and give the gold the appearance of being a surface paint to the ring. They turned out like this:

thumbnail_IMG_4967.jpeg

The gold leaf is a good choice because unlike the paint, it has a metallic shine to it. So it looks more realistic than straight up paint.

Next, I assembled each of the rings with each of their pieces (two 4mm outers and one 8mm inner). I used Barge All-Purpose Cement (link) to glue them together. I placed a layer of glue on all touching sides. Be wary of getting this glue on your skin, as it's quite potent. But I've found using make-up remover or nail polish remover does help take the glue off skin in those rare occasions it gets on you. Once assembled with the not yet dried glue, the rings were not quite holding shape. So I placed heavy books on to each set of rings and that compressed them into shape while the glue settled. I left them overnight to dry. The glue usually takes about 15-40 min, but I wasn't in a rush.

Instead of using the gold leaf paint for the inside of the ring where the EL wire will sit, I used the gold paint from the Liquitex Basics arcylic set (link). I also put a layer of Flexbond on the core ring before painting. They turned out like this:

thumbnail_IMG_4969.jpeg

I anticipated that not all five rings would fit on my arm by placing them past my fist through the inner ring. I could get my fist through the first two rings (the largest ones) reasonably well. But the last three rings (the smaller ones) were a bit of a stretch to get on (the last two being impossible). My remedy for this was the use of magnets. So I found the center of the ring, and made a cut 90 degrees from the hole for the wire. I then drilled a small hole using the dremel, and placed a magnet on each opposite side of the cut ring. I started by only cutting one side of the ring to make a small cut-out rather than cutting both sides of the ring and making it a top/bottom. I could get my hand through each ring with just the single cut, so making a top/bottom was unnecessary. I made sure each of the magnets were matching by placing them together and then sharpie marking the sides I could see. Since I wanted the magnet to attract, then each of the sharpie sides should end up inside the ring. I filled the drilled holes with Barge cement, and then using a magnetic cuticle tool I placed the magnet into the hole. If the magnet tried to continue to follow my cuticle tool, then I'd use a non-magnetized pencil to keep it from moving. I then allowed each magnet to dry in its hole overnight.

thumbnail_IMG_4970.jpeg

I then confirmed that the five rings on each arm would fit on my arm as expected.

thumbnail_IMG_4971.jpeg

I haven't put all the pieces of the full costume together yet. We did a dry-run a few days ago, and learned that the 8ft EL wire can go around each ring a single time to cover all five rings. I ended up ordering the orange EL wire because I thought it might have more of a gold appearance, and I didn't want to clash too much with G's yellow EL wire on her Ms Marvel shirt. But the orange ended up being more orange, so the color of it is a little off. The starter pack that I ordered comes with a battery pack. I'll wear a black long sleeve (if cold enough), and then am wearing my grey stitch running sleeves folded on themselves on my bicep. The running sleeves are thick, and hold their position. So then I can use the clip attached to the battery pack of the EL wire and simply attach it to the running sleeve. Then I weave the EL wire through the ten rings. I anticipate I may need to find a way to attach the end of the EL wire to the final smallest ring, and at this moment anticipate using a twisty tie. But we can figure that out in the moment when the time comes.

Over the top is this store bought Shang-Chi top (link). The quality is quite good. I wish it was a little tighter, and maybe a little longer in the torso, but it'll do the trick.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.15.23 PM.png

I'll wear black running tights for the bottom, and a pair of red shoes.

G's costume hit a bit of a snag because my MIL had some issues sewing the EL wire into the costume top material. It bunched up more than she liked. So to solve it, we sewed the yellow EL wire to a second shirt, then placed velcro tabs on the two shirts to align them so that the yellow EL wire shows through where the lightning bolt is. But I think it'll all work out.

So that's it. I'll be sure to include some final pictures of both of our costumes when we're finished and dressed.

Saw this article being discussed on Reddit and I honestly do not understand the argument they are making against the effect being due to more women participants(who are on average slower. Am I losing my mind here? Also, holy truncated y axes. I mean sure if it’s significant statistically fine but this is the most exaggerated way you could present this effect.

https://runrepeat.com/american-runners-have-never-been-slower-mega-study

Saw this article being discussed on Reddit and I honestly do not understand the argument they are making against the effect being due to more women participants(who are on average slower. Am I losing my mind here? Also, holy truncated y axes. I mean sure if it’s significant statistically fine but this is the most exaggerated way you could present this effect.

I object to the use of “runners” in their conclusion—as a slow runner, I think that just seems a bit rude

Some questions I'd have:

-You have data from 1902 to 2017, why did you cut off at 1996? What makes 1996 different than 1995?
-Why did you include only races with >2000 runners? What's the significance of the arbitrary cutoff of 2000 participants for using the data?
-Is there are any correlation to the number of races offered in the US towards finish times? With more options, are we seeing more runners spread over more races, which then makes the 100th finisher overall slower (although this should be accounted for when using percentile finish instead, which seems like a much more flat increase)?
-Is there any correlation to the warming of race day temps year over year? We know that performance suffers with increased temps, is there a correlation here as well?
-How often are runners these days running multiple marathons (or other distances) with the intent of more "B" than "A" races then in year's past? It's not that there are more individuals running marathons, but rather there are more individual runners running more races within a time period. Less "A" efforts would mean less stellar times.
-This chart says a lot to me about the use of 100th, 1000th, 2000th, 10000th runner information:

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 1.47.49 PM.png

Look at 2003. The 1000th runner's average finish is 3:57, whereas the 2000th runner's average finish is 3:11. I get why that is, but when you see something like this it makes me a bit uneasy.

I honestly do not understand the argument they are making against the effect being due to more women participants(who are on average slower. Am I losing my mind here?

I think you're referring to this one:

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 1.50.36 PM.png

The argument they're making is that women participating is causing the average finish time to slow year over year, but the effect of that is less than the effect of men themselves becoming slower over that same period of time. However, they're saying the women participation effect is 46% explanatory and men slowing effect is 54% explanatory. So to me, it says it's both. The average time is falling in the US because more women are participating AND because men are slowing.

I object to the use of “runners” in their conclusion—as a slow runner, I think that just seems a bit rude

Agreed.

I think you're referring to this one:

View attachment 714005

The argument they're making is that women participating is causing the average finish time to slow year over year, but the effect of that is less than the effect of men themselves becoming slower over that same period of time. However, they're saying the women participation effect is 46% explanatory and men slowing effect is 54% explanatory. So to me, it says it's both. The average time is falling in the US because more women are participating AND because men are slowing.
But that graph and the analysis as they describe it, says nothing about whether the number of women, who are on average slower, is more explanatory than the slowing down of men? These are 2 different things. The graph and (seemingly, given the very brief description of the analysis), shows that men are slowing down faster than women, but that's not the same thing as the number contribution of one overall slower group going up. This is why I ask if I'm losing my mind. Why would you show a graph saying men are slowing down to make an argument about people in a slower group making up more of the population. They are maybe saying the women participation effect is 46% explanatory, but there is no analysis showing that. And yes if that is the case, how does that say this argument is invalid? At the end they list this as one of the "myths" as to why race times are slower. What.

Giving a very glib description of analyses over and over again, and repeatedly summing up, this argument is invalid (not my emphasis) is off-putting at minimum and ignorant at worst. I don't even have any emotions balled up in this issue but still very strange way to write up a so-called mega study. Let's see it in a peer reviewed journal.

I saw this study today too and the first thing that immediately jumped out at me:

It has been a popular belief that the increase of the average marathon finish time is due to the fact that participating in running competitions is gaining popularity. With the popularity increase, the number of not so fit participants rises, and the average finish time increases.

This argument is not exhaustive.

They then proceeded to do nothing to prove or disprove the popularity theory and instead moved on to other talking points. Just a weird article all-around, and it reads as someone who already drew a conclusion and looked for data to back it up. (This has a name that I'm completely blanking on at the moment.)

But that graph and the analysis as they describe it, says nothing about whether the number of women, who are on average slower, is more explanatory than the slowing down of men? These are 2 different things. The graph and (seemingly, given the very brief description of the analysis), shows that men are slowing down faster than women, but that's not the same thing as the number contribution of one overall slower group going up. This is why I ask if I'm losing my mind. Why would you show a graph saying men are slowing down to make an argument about people in a slower group making up more of the population. They are maybe saying the women participation effect is 46% explanatory, but there is no analysis showing that. And yes if that is the case, how does that say this argument is invalid? At the end they list this as one of the "myths" as to why race times are slower. What.

I agree with you.

The graph shows men are slowing on average, and that women are fairly static.

They do not graph the participation of women as a percentage of the total number of participants.

Rather in the paragraph above the graph in question, they simply state (presumably using some sort of stats analysis) that the effect of "rise in the number of females" is outweighed by the "slowing of men".

That's why in my view if you think something is explained 46% of it one way and 54% of it the other way, it sure seems to me that means that both reasons are pretty explanatory together. It's the addition of more women as participants (as a percentage) AND that men are slowing. The rest of the article should explain solely why men are slowing if they want to continue to dive into the data. Because nearly 50% of the slowing of the average is explained by female participation. It may not be the sole explanation, but it seems to explain a near majority of it.

Just a weird article all-around, and it reads as someone who already drew a conclusion and looked for data to back it up. (This has a name that I'm completely blanking on at the moment.)

Confirmation bias?

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.

Secondarily, why print this on "Run Repeat" and not in a peer reviewed journal?

Shang-Chi Costume

This costume ended up being much simpler than G's Ms. Marvel costume. Which is a good thing since Ms. Marvel took me months, and I only had a few weeks before Halloween for Shang-Chi. So I should be able to cover most of the steps in a single post. The experience gained from Ms. Marvel made this one easier. Plus, since the Shang-Chi costume mainly consists of the ten rings (which is a repetitive exercise in making each one) it was fairly straight forward. The goal was to make the ten rings look similar to this:

View attachment 713650

As you can see from the image of Xu Wenwu, the rings are not all the same size and are form fitted to his arm. So that meant it was going to take some math to replicate these on my arm.

View attachment 713652

I started by measuring my arm from the elbow to the wrist to determine how much space the five rings could each take up. I also wanted to make sure that each ring had space between them too. The Plastazote LD45 foam (link) comes in three widths (4mm, 6mm, and 8mm). The rings will have two sides and a core. So they could be as thick as 24mm (3x8mm) or as thin as 12mm (3x4mm). With the distance of my elbow to wrist at 210mm, I had about 50mm for each ring space. Given this, and how things played out once I started, I ended up going with 4mm foam for the outside pieces of the ring, and 8mm for the core of the ring. I chose 8mm for the core because the width of the EL wire (link) is roughly 2.5mm. So if I wrapped twice on any ring, then it would be about 5mm across.

Once I knew how thick each ring was going to be, I tried to measure the circumference of my arm in five places where the five rings would sit. I wanted the inside of the ring to be reasonably snug against my arm so that there would be little incentive for it to move around much. Once I had the circumference, I could calculate the diameter of the inner circle of the ring. I settled on making the ring 2.5 cm in thickness when viewing in the lateral plane. So I added 5cm to the calculated diameter of each ring, which would give me the total diameter of the outer circle. I then halved that value, and it gave me the radius (or the ability to determine the center of the outer/inner ring. I could then use a compass set to those distances to trace both the inner and outer circles on the plastazote foam. It ended up being a lot of math, but once I figured out the pattern it wasn't terribly difficult to replicate it.

View attachment 713651

So for each of the ten rings, I would need two 4mm rings (to serve as the outers), and one 8mm ring (to serve as the inner core). The 8mm core ring was the same as the 4mm ring, except I reduced the size of the outer portion of the ring by 5mm (2.5 mm from each side of the radius). This would leave a gap around the ring for the EL wire to sit in.

View attachment 713653

The above is representative of an inner 8mm core ring. Then it came time to determine how to intermix the EL wire with the ten rings themselves. When I had originally come up with this concept, I thought the EL wire would be stiff like chicken wire. So I would put it into shape, it would hold that shape, and then I would clasp the foam rings around the rigid EL wire. But the EL wire is not rigid. It's more like weed wacker wire. It is flexible enough to go into shapes, but it won't hold that shape on its own. So I pivoted to the idea of weaving the EL wire through the rings instead. So what I ended up doing was cutting a small gap in the inner core ring of about 5mm. This would allow me to weave the EL wire into the inside of the core ring, come out on the outer edge of the core ring, follow along the circumference of the core ring, and then go back into the same hole to pass through to the next ring in succession. I could pull the wire taunt and it would hold its shape around the inner core foam ring.

So ultimately, this was what each of the ten rings consisted of:

View attachment 713654

Two 4mm rings, and an inner core 8mm ring. I used the Dremel 4000-2/30 (link) with flex shaft attachment (link) with a small engraving tip to make random designs in each of the rings. This gave the appearance of inscriptions, writings, or designs on the sides of each of the rings. I cleaned up the inners and outers of each of the foam rings using the Dremel as well with a sanding tip.

For painting them, I used the same technique as the Ms. Marvel bracelet. First, I put on a layer of Flexbond primer (link). I did actually forget to do this on one set of rings, and it does make a difference. So don't skip this step. It makes the paint pop a little more, and it fills some of the small crevices that the paint just seems to skip over. Once the Flexbond dried, then I added a layer of Liquitex Basics Acrylic Mars Black paint (link). This would give it the appearance of an old finish. Skipping the black undercoat means the metallic gold overcoat doesn't pop as well. Once the black acrylic dried, then I put on a layer of Rub 'n Buff Metallic Gold Leaf (link). This stuff is oil based, so avoid getting it on your skin as much as possible. To add it to the rings, I placed a few layers of paper towel into an old sock. I then placed my hand into the sock so that I had the sock and multiple layers of paper towel between me and the paint. I added the gold leaf to the sock in small droplets, then dabbed those small droplets into multiple places around the ring. Then I spread it lightly over the ring, being cognizant of trying not to press too hard as to fill the gaps I had made with the dremel. This would leave the gaps with a more black appearance, and give the gold the appearance of being a surface paint to the ring. They turned out like this:

View attachment 713655

The gold leaf is a good choice because unlike the paint, it has a metallic shine to it. So it looks more realistic than straight up paint.

Next, I assembled each of the rings with each of their pieces (two 4mm outers and one 8mm inner). I used Barge All-Purpose Cement (link) to glue them together. I placed a layer of glue on all touching sides. Be wary of getting this glue on your skin, as it's quite potent. But I've found using make-up remover or nail polish remover does help take the glue off skin in those rare occasions it gets on you. Once assembled with the not yet dried glue, the rings were not quite holding shape. So I placed heavy books on to each set of rings and that compressed them into shape while the glue settled. I left them overnight to dry. The glue usually takes about 15-40 min, but I wasn't in a rush.

Instead of using the gold leaf paint for the inside of the ring where the EL wire will sit, I used the gold paint from the Liquitex Basics arcylic set (link). I also put a layer of Flexbond on the core ring before painting. They turned out like this:

View attachment 713656

I anticipated that not all five rings would fit on my arm by placing them past my fist through the inner ring. I could get my fist through the first two rings (the largest ones) reasonably well. But the last three rings (the smaller ones) were a bit of a stretch to get on (the last two being impossible). My remedy for this was the use of magnets. So I found the center of the ring, and made a cut 90 degrees from the hole for the wire. I then drilled a small hole using the dremel, and placed a magnet on each opposite side of the cut ring. I started by only cutting one side of the ring to make a small cut-out rather than cutting both sides of the ring and making it a top/bottom. I could get my hand through each ring with just the single cut, so making a top/bottom was unnecessary. I made sure each of the magnets were matching by placing them together and then sharpie marking the sides I could see. Since I wanted the magnet to attract, then each of the sharpie sides should end up inside the ring. I filled the drilled holes with Barge cement, and then using a magnetic cuticle tool I placed the magnet into the hole. If the magnet tried to continue to follow my cuticle tool, then I'd use a non-magnetized pencil to keep it from moving. I then allowed each magnet to dry in its hole overnight.

View attachment 713657

I then confirmed that the five rings on each arm would fit on my arm as expected.

View attachment 713658

I haven't put all the pieces of the full costume together yet. We did a dry-run a few days ago, and learned that the 8ft EL wire can go around each ring a single time to cover all five rings. I ended up ordering the orange EL wire because I thought it might have more of a gold appearance, and I didn't want to clash too much with G's yellow EL wire on her Ms Marvel shirt. But the orange ended up being more orange, so the color of it is a little off. The starter pack that I ordered comes with a battery pack. I'll wear a black long sleeve (if cold enough), and then am wearing my grey stitch running sleeves folded on themselves on my bicep. The running sleeves are thick, and hold their position. So then I can use the clip attached to the battery pack of the EL wire and simply attach it to the running sleeve. Then I weave the EL wire through the ten rings. I anticipate I may need to find a way to attach the end of the EL wire to the final smallest ring, and at this moment anticipate using a twisty tie. But we can figure that out in the moment when the time comes.

Over the top is this store bought Shang-Chi top (link). The quality is quite good. I wish it was a little tighter, and maybe a little longer in the torso, but it'll do the trick.

View attachment 713662

I'll wear black running tights for the bottom, and a pair of red shoes.

G's costume hit a bit of a snag because my MIL had some issues sewing the EL wire into the costume top material. It bunched up more than she liked. So to solve it, we sewed the yellow EL wire to a second shirt, then placed velcro tabs on the two shirts to align them so that the yellow EL wire shows through where the lightning bolt is. But I think it'll all work out.

So that's it. I'll be sure to include some final pictures of both of our costumes when we're finished and dressed.
Wow! This looks really amazing!

Just got caught up on the last couple of pages. That taper article and your corresponding breakdown were really interesting. I haven’t done a marathon before but my plan appears to follow a 3 week strict pattern.

Your costume is coming along nicely!

Just got caught up on the last couple of pages. That taper article and your corresponding breakdown were really interesting. I haven’t done a marathon before but my plan appears to follow a 3 week strict pattern.

Your costume is coming along nicely!

Glad you liked the breakdown.

Thanks!

2 Weeks to go - Canova Specific Phase - Week 8/10

giphy-downsized-large.gif

10/24/22-10/30/22
Tues (10/25): 15 miles @ 95% M Tempo (7:27 min/mile, 139 bpm)
Wed (10/26): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:22 min/mile, 124 bpm)
Thurs (10/27): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:23 min/mile, 121 bpm)
Fri (10/28): 11 miles @ 85% M Tempo (8:03 min/mile, 134 bpm)
Sat (10/29): 6.5 miles @ 60-70% M Tempo (9:24 min/mile, 120 bpm) + LIIFT4-Chest/Triceps
Sun (10/30): Canova Specific Extensive Endurance + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps

Total Run Miles - 56.1 miles
Total Run Time - 7:45 hours
Total Strength Time - 0:59 hours
Total Training Time - 8:44 hours

Tuesday

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 7mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 49°F + 48°F; FL - 48°F
End: Temp+Dew = 47°F + 46°F; FL - 48°F

Last truly hard workout before the race (19 days out). Just a few seconds per mile slower than current marathon PR pace.

95% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:23 min/mile

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.21.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.22.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.22.13 PM.png

Actual Pace = 7:27 min/mile
Grade Adj Pace = 7:22 min/mile

5 mile loops = 37:18 (7:28), 37:15 (7:27), 37:09 (7:26)

Those GAP splits are just about locked in. I would have liked it be a little colder, but you take what you get. A really solid run all around. I didn't quite have that pop that I'd like, but it was alright.

It wouldn't be a taper without what happened next. I enjoyed the remainder of the day home, and then I went to pick up G from school. We had to hustle a bit because I had to get her back to school for GOTR. She ate a snack, and let out a tiny cough and sniffle. I immediately stopped what I was doing, and just looked at her. Is she really developing a sickness during the taper? Like, honestly without even looking it up the amount of times she's been sick during a marathon taper is crazy high. So, am I just being hyper sensitive... She left for GOTR, and then when she got back home the cough and sniffle were more noticeable. As the afternoon turned to night, that tiny cough/sniffle turned into a full blown hacking and full congestion. It actually was quite impressive how quickly it went from 0.5 to 10. Love you kid, but it's time for quarantine mode. I'll see you all in a few days.

Wednesday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 8mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 47°F + 35°F; FL - 43°F
End: Temp+Dew = 44°F + 34°F; FL - 43°F

Every morning waking up was an exercise in checking my resting HR. If it elevates, then I get worried about an impending sickness. I survived through Tuesday night.

I didn't like how I felt during this run. Honestly, I haven't liked how I've felt coming into or out of a run since the Canova double a weekend before last. I think I overloaded the days with too many moderates instead of easys. So I really sat down and re-evaluated the remaining schedule to make sure I wasn't be too aggressive. I mean I expect to feel a little sluggish during the taper, but I want to try and thread the needle between maintaining fitness and feeling that pop in the step.

This run was laughable in terms of the "warning signs" that my body was sending. Everything hurt and I should probably just stop running as a hobby. Ok, alright, sure...

okay-ok.gif

Thursday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 49°F + 39°F; FL - 47°F
End: Temp+Dew = 46°F + 38°F; FL - 47°F

I'm still not sick, but G is still sick.

So I dropped this from an 11 mile moderate run to a 6.5 mile easy run. Body responded and felt a bit better. Felt like it was the right decision not trying to force the moderate.

Friday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 53°F + 40°F; FL - 53°F
End: Temp+Dew = 48°F + 39°F; FL - 53°F

I'm still not sick, but G is still sick.

Alright, back to the 11 mile moderate with that extra easy run the day prior. I wouldn't say I quite had a pop in the step. Felt like I was working for that 8:03 pace. But the data still looks good.

Saturday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 30°F; FL - 33°F
End: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 33°F; FL - 33°F

I'm still not sick, but G is still sick. Like I can't remember the last time a sickness lingered this long for her. We don't think this was a normal cold, but it wasn't the c-word either. A RSV thing has been going around in WI, so it's probably that.

Just a nice easy run. Loved the weather. I was in my "This Princess runs Disney" light hoodie and shorts. Nice chill to the morning. Body felt decent.

I did the LIIFT4 workout afterwards.

Later that morning I did some pumpkin painting. I did a Shang-Chi and Ms. Marvel drawing (while following a step by step on youtube).

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.43.07 PM.png

Sunday

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 3mph to 4mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 40°F + 36°F; FL - 40°F
End: Temp+Dew = 43°F + 40°F; FL - 40°F

I wore tank top, shorts, light gloves, and headband. The headband was too warm. I'm still not sick, but G is still sick (but on the mend).

2 x 3.25 miles @ 100% M Tempo w/ 1km @ 90% M Tempo

100% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:02 min/mile
90% M Tempo Goal Pace = 7:44 min/mile

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.47.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.47.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 2.47.30 PM.png

100% M Tempo Actual Pace = 7:05 min/mile
100% M Tempo Grade Adj Pace = 7:02 min/mile

90% M Tempo Actual Pace = 7:50 min/mile
90% M Tempo Grade Adj Pace = 7:47 min/mile

Two 100% M Tempo Laps = 7:08 (7:06), 7:03 (6:59)

Back when I wrote the original plan, this was a 3x3 mile 100% with 90% RIs. But I decided to pull back on the aggressiveness of the workout with two weeks to go. Instead I did 2x3.25 miles with 90% RI. Not "easy", but "easier". The first mile was a little slower than I anticipated. About halfway through I saw a 7:05 pace, so it slipped a little in the latter half of the mile. Definitely felt like I was giving a good effort. The second mile was uphill with a +15 GAP, but I was still a little disappointed to see the mile split at 7:27. Guess today is going to be a 7:10 type of day. No... No... Let's attack the downhill and get this back to 7:02ish splits. So that's what I did for the remaining 1.25 miles. I attacked. Ended up with a 6:59 and 6:45 GAP. I was a little gassed, but not too bad.

Holding the 7:50 pace in the RI felt really really easy. Just almost no effort.

Attack... attack... attack... I didn't want to start off too slow on the second set, so I really slowed my mind and my breathing and just relaxed. And then at about a 0.5 mile into the start of second rep I glanced down at my watch and saw 6:40 average pace. Ok, attack, but not like that. That's too hot of a pace. Pull back... pull back! I don't need to crush myself. I was able to pull the pace back to 6:49 which was still a little hotter than I should be doing. Again, the uphill and again 7:27. At least I'm consistent. Then I attacked the downhill again and closed well. Ended up with a 7:03 average for the 3.25 mile split.

Then I just easy ran it in with little to no effort.

Happy with the run overall. I think I made the right decision dropping this run down.

Not much left to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter