To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

54 Days to Go (Madrugada)

678d9bf67b3b87c4576d1dd1738aac49.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

4/18/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1000 @ I w/ 0.25 mi RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (3/6)
4/19/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/20/17 - R - 2 mi @ WU + 3 mi @ T + 2 min REST + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ T + 2 mi @ CD (8/9)
4/21/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile *only got 4 in
4/22/17 - Sat - 10 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/23/17 - Sun - 14 miles @ 7:42 min/mile (10/14)
4/24/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 54.2 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 21/29 (72%)

Monday was an off day. G and I just hung out that evening.

Tuesday was another experience with I pace.

2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1000 @ I w/ 0.25 mi RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD

Because of another excessive afternoon wind, I moved the run to the morning. So up at 3:30am, out the door at 4:05am. I had a small spoon of peanut butter right at waking to help with energy. Not a good idea after all.... lesson learned: 2 hours before a run PB + Bagel + Banana = Good, but 45 min before a run PB = bad. Thankfully it didn't really become an issue until the cool down.

I pace = 6:04 min/mile (1000m = 3:48) *roughly 2 mile race pace
Interval window = +/-3 seconds (3:45-3:51)

I pace intervals = 3:52, 3:50, 3:48, 3:51, 3:52, 3:55

Just the tiniest hair off pace overall, so not bad at all. If I account for the normal "its early and dark out" slow down effect that's common with my early morning runs (see WU for obvious impact), I'd say it's right on pace. This pace is a tough one for me to figure out mentally/physically. I know I can go faster (as evidenced by R pacing), but I find it difficult to figure it out physically. The pace I was running I felt I still had some left in the tank, but physically I couldn't figure out how to go a touch faster. Guess that's why I live in the endurance world and not the speed world. Much more comfortable running for a long time, then trying to figure out the minutiae details of running fast.

The temp was 38F with a very slight wind. Looks like interval 1 was mostly at ~6:18 min/mile and then the last 1 minute was around a 6:00 min/mile. Interval #2 also started off a touch too slow, but the last two minutes were near 6:00 min/mile. The third interval was more of a 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 with on pace, too slow, on pace. The 4th interval was opposite of #2 with the first 2/3 on pace then a slight fade. Interval #5 was just behind pace slightly the whole time. Lastly, Interval #6 was behind pace pretty much the whole time expect the last 30-40 seconds.

The HR average for the intervals (when eyeballing the average without the build-up) was around 157. Still odd that this is no where near 97-100% HR max as the intention of I pace. This is actually below HM HR which is 160. I don't believe I can run a 6:13 min/mile for 13.1 miles (as this would suggest based on historical), but it will be interesting to continue to track this.

Wind was 22-32 mph that afternoon (and T+D of 111), so good decision on the morning run! It also allowed me to attend G's sports class. We did soccer, tee ball, and golf. While the soccer was suppose to be kids vs adults, G did a good job of keeping the ball away from everyone. Good thing soccer starts in a few weeks and I think all the kids get their own ball.

Wednesday was another easy day. T+D of 105 with a medium wind of 12 mph. Nothing to note.

Thursday was another threshold pace day with a reintroduction of R pace.

2 mi @ WU + 3 mi @ T + 2 min REST + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ T + 2 mi @ CD

ARRRGGHHH.... When will this wind end?!?!? Wind was swirling at 14-25mph with no real consistent direction. So sometimes a direction was a crosswind, headwind, or tailwind, and the next pass through the same section could be completely different. Annoying! T+D of 96.

T pace = 6:38 min/mile
I pace = 5:36 min/mile (200m = 42 sec)

T pace window = +/- 5 seconds
I pace window = +/- 1 second

3 mile T pace = 6:39, 6:42, 6:40
200m R pace = 41, 41, 42, 42

Oddly my resting HR jumped last night for no real good reason as my run was easy yesterday. So I wasn't sure whether some sort of sickness is headed my way. Regardless, I felt confident going into this run. While the effort was pretty even throughout the first T pace set, the pace graph is all over the place because of the wind. After about 2 miles of T pace something dawned on me. I had reviewed this workout several times, and I don't remember a rest period between the T pace and R pace. So was I really suppose to go straight from 3 miles at T directly into the first 200m R pace??? So you can see a sudden jump in pace right at the end of T, as that was me starting the R pace. But as I glanced down I saw 2:05 REST and knew it was shutdown time. Thank goodness!

Then came the R paced work. It's been a few weeks since I've done R pace. So I was interested to see how that pace felt again. I really do like R pace as it's fast and short. Short enough that you're almost 100% anaerobic so you never really get short of breath. The first one was 40.94, but I rounded up to 41 to get in within the interval window. But wow, that's quick! I actually felt pretty strong throughout the R paces.

Then 2 more miles of T pace. The R pace legs lingered into the beginning of the T pace as I rocketed out of the gate and then slowed down through most of the interval. The first of 2 was still within pace at 6:37, but the second one got to me. I had a hard time compensating for the wind, but I had some left in the tank for a last little push at the end of the 2 miler.

Overall a solid workout! Average HR for the T pace was 156 at a pace of 6:40 min/mile. Surprising because that still puts this slower than HM historical HR (160). It's going to be really interesting when the cumulative fatigue is done and it's racing season. Because I've got a feeling I'm in store for some big PRs. BTW, I set a new unofficial Garmin 5k PR of 20:55 (just slightly better than the 21:02 in Disney, although that measured slightly linger than 3.1 because of tangents). On to the next one!

On Friday we had free tickets to the UW band concert. It's quite the spectacle, although I've never gone to it before. Because of the difficult workout on Thursday evening, I wasn't willing to do another early morning run. The timeframe between getting home and then leaving to go to the concert was going to be really tight. I estimated I'd have about 50 minutes. So I conceded to doing 6 miles instead of the scheduled 7. I took my running clothes to work and then got dressed before I left. The plan was to park at home and literally start my run. Needless to say traffic didn't agree with this plan. High school forensics was apparently Friday afternoon at UW, so the police at my normal driving route closed and rerouted. It added an extra 20 minute on my commute. I was so mad! Steph said we didn't have to go the concert. So when we pulled in, we had decided we weren't going anymore. But then G was all dressed up when we got inside and was super excited for the event. So, we decided we were going to go and I just did a short 4 miles instead. No big deal. I actually ran a little quick but the effort felt easy. Guess running mad makes me faster (darn traffic).

Saturday was an easy day. It was in the 40s with almost no wind (HOORAY!). Nothing to note throughout the run. Solid day!

Turned 32 on Sunday and I haven't felt younger in years!

T+D of 92 with a light wind. My knee felt very slightly sore yesterday. I wasn't positive if it was physical or mental. Turns out it was most definitely mental. Woke up feeling great and ready to attack today's run. I set out hitting the paces as they came, but as the run progressed I could tell that my "long run" effort was just a tad faster than previous. So I went with the effort and let the miles click by. The question was, did my HR agree that this was indeed a long run? Confirmed! HR was 141 for the last 13 miles (always start off slow on these long runs naturally). Historical long run HR has always been 138-142, so this in line. It was right on the HRvPace graph and is still predicting marathon fitness at 2:56-3:02 currently. Very happy with the progress thus far!

I got a new pair of Saucony Freedom ISOs. I'll be interested to see where they fall in the pace spectrum.

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

I had no idea there was a word called Madrugada! The more you know?

Feeling the same about the wind...it really can go away already. Just give us light breezes and we'll be just fine. I had two non-windy runs this weekend and they are just so much better. Well you'll be prepared if your race is windy and then that much faster if it's not...right? Right!

Do those shoes have an elevated heel or some kind of a drop or is that just the coloring playing tricks on my eyes. Either way I approve of their neon-ness. Bright colors def. will make you faster.

And finally, your pics are so cute. I love the letter candles! Is this 3 years now? I feel like all the really good stuff with conversations and adventures really got going at 3. Should be a fun time :)

Sorry about all the wind. Our weekend was really windy as well, but at least early Sunday AM when we ran it had died down some. I really hate running in strong winds.

Love the shoes!! I'm not familiar with the Saucony Freedom I don't think. Is that a newer model? I'm still in my Kinvaras.

Happy Birthday!!! Love G in her Elsa gown.

Happy Birthday! And love the Spring Concert - I used to go when it was in the Field House - always a fun event! :) Any photos of G from the concert?

I had no idea there was a word called Madrugada! The more you know?

Full disclosure - neither did I. I just googled "early morning run gif" and that came up. Of course googling "Madrugada gif" opens a weird horror type gif montage.

Feeling the same about the wind...it really can go away already. Just give us light breezes and we'll be just fine. I had two non-windy runs this weekend and they are just so much better. Well you'll be prepared if your race is windy and then that much faster if it's not...right? Right!

Yea, boo to the wind. I get that it may or may not help me come race day, but still... I have a feeling I'll be seeing it on race day given my luck (of course the first two races are unofficial so I might try and find the "optimal" racing time).

Do those shoes have an elevated heel or some kind of a drop or is that just the coloring playing tricks on my eyes. Either way I approve of their neon-ness. Bright colors def. will make you faster.

Optical illusion. The drop is relatively normal on them 4mm. They are similar to the Kinvara and Zealot by it's drop, but different in the makeup of the shoe.

And finally, your pics are so cute. I love the letter candles! Is this 3 years now? I feel like all the really good stuff with conversations and adventures really got going at 3. Should be a fun time :)

Thanks! Yep, she's 3 and a couple months now. Talks a mile a minute, always trying to make friends, and just in general super crazy 24/7.

Sorry about all the wind. Our weekend was really windy as well, but at least early Sunday AM when we ran it had died down some. I really hate running in strong winds.

Maybe we should create some sort of anti-wind club. Like it's got good reasons to be around, but I'd rather not have it during my training... :P

Love the shoes!! I'm not familiar with the Saucony Freedom I don't think. Is that a newer model? I'm still in my Kinvaras.

Thanks! Yea, they're a first generation (although technically a throwback to a pair of Freedoms that Saucony came out with decades ago). They have the same drop (4mm) as Kinvaras but a lot less road feel. They're suppose to be similar to Adidas Boost material. The hype is that they can be easy day shoes or speed day shoes. They're suppose to be capable across the whole spectrum. Time will tell where they fall for me.

Happy Birthday!!! Love G in her Elsa gown.

Thanks! She got dresses up for the occasion.

Happy Birthday! And love the Spring Concert - I used to go when it was in the Field House - always a fun event! :) Any photos of G from the concert?

Thanks! We took one:

17991901_907441713011_8505807970437725968_n.jpg

Someone didn't like all the loud music (when the band was coming out). Although, eventually (like after a minute) she got used to it. However, during the ending with all the fireworks she started :sad: and we had to bail. No biggie as it allowed us to beat the traffic. She told us she liked it "a little bit, but not a lot a bit". :D

Wow, my brain is hard-boiled today. It's your birthday, not G's!! Makes sense why you are all of a sudden 32.
Sorry for the brain-fart. Here's a badger dance to make up for it.
giphy.gif

Boo to the wind, for sure. Will be interested to get your thoughts on the new Saucony's. I'm in Zealots right now and am in like-but not in love-with them.

Happy birthday!!

Boo to the wind, for sure.

:welcome: to the anti-wind club!

Will be interested to get your thoughts on the new Saucony's. I'm in Zealots right now and am in like-but not in love-with them.

The Freedom's definitely feel different than any of the other shoes in the Saucony family. So I'm going to cautiously introduce them at easy paces and work my way up. I'll also be interested to see how they feel. The Zealots are probably my favorite trainer to date because I find the most versatility in them. Definitely not a racing shoe, but a good all around trainer. I've got Kinvara, Ride, Zealot, Triumph, and now Freedoms in my rotation.

Happy birthday!!

Thanks!

Thanks! Yea, I'm in the same camp. Never been a fan of music concerts. I can tolerate stadium noise, but not music noise.

I've always enjoyed the UW Band (since I was 3 and my mom was in school there!) But elementary school Band-O-Rama is another matter - it's adorable, but that's some solid music noise! All of our kids have since settled on voice and piano, so I'm good with that!

I've always enjoyed the UW Band (since I was 3 and my mom was in school there!) But elementary school Band-O-Rama is another matter - it's adorable, but that's some solid music noise! All of our kids have since settled on voice and piano, so I'm good with that!

I could live better with something more soothing as a future hobby for G. Time will tell for sure though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter