To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

LOL, yea.... Nope definitely doesn't work like that! I'm feeling more confident, but not THAT confident. :eek:

BTW, that is an interesting collection of marathon names: bear chase, tyson foods, night sweats, active water, squak mountain.... Seems like a bad horror movie to me, not the names of this weekend's marathons. :P

Bear Chase is a very fun race. It's held in the national forest a few hours northeast of Houston.

Mark 4/6/17 on your calendar folks as it marks a very important day in my running journey...
The HRvPace graph has for the first time put out a projection of less than 3 hours for a marathon (2:59:18). :D

Phew! I'm getting a little tired just thinking about all that math, but I love the bottom line of what the science says! Congrats!!!

I just realized...I don't think I've posted in your journal yet, but I've been lurking about!
Hi everyone! :wave:

I started at page 1, then got caught up in some of the great links in the middle, and then just couldn't help myself and skipped to the current few pages! But that's like skipping to the end of a novel which I never do, so back I go into the earlier depths!

Phew! I'm getting a little tired just thinking about all that math, but I love the bottom line of what the science says! Congrats!!!

:teacher:

I just realized...I don't think I've posted in your journal yet, but I've been lurking about!

:welcome:

Hi everyone! :wave:

:wave:

I started at page 1, then got caught up in some of the great links in the middle, and then just couldn't help myself and skipped to the current few pages! But that's like skipping to the end of a novel which I never do, so back I go into the earlier depths!

Thanks for reading! It's been a fun journey to live and write about thus far. And I have a feeling we're about to enter a new chapter...

68 Days to Go (Step back before taking a leap!)

amnac90.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

4/4/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 12 x 400 @ R w/ 400 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (9/12)
4/5/17 - W - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/6/17 - R - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
4/7/17 - F - 2 mi @ WU + 2 x 4 min @ I w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 3 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 2 x 2 min @ I w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (5/7)
4/8/17 - Sat - 6 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/9/17 - Sun - 10 miles @ 7:42 min/mile (10/10)
4/10/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 46.8 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 24/29 (83%)

Monday was the last super hero tumbling class. Overall it went fine, she actually did some of the activities, but then towards the middle-end she just became her crazy normal self. The teacher made some comment under neath her breath to another teacher about "some kids being special" or something to that effect. I don't think we'll be signing up for more super hero tumbling classes.

Tuesday was the final 5 pace run!
2 mi @ WU + 12 x 400 @ R w/ 400 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD

R = 5:40 min/mile (400m = 85 seconds)
Interval window = +/- 1 second

T+D of 90 with only a 3mph wind. The last R paced run of the Daniels 10k cycle and the end of Phase 2. I knew this would be an intense run, well because it's 3 cumulative miles at mile race pace. Of course the resting intervals between the R pace make it possible, but still.

R Set - 87, 84, 86, 83, 85, 85, 84, 85, 85, 85, 87, 86

Felt really stiff throughout the warm-up so I figured the 1st interval was likely to be a miss. And prophecy upheld, as the 1st interval was off. I wasn't terribly concerned since I felt the stiffness and was hopeful it would clear by #2. I've really come to appreciate the 200m intervals to start a session. Definitely makes the first couple 400m sets feel easier, but alas today didn't have any 200m intervals.

After the 1st interval things definitely settled down. Felt really comfortable at the R pace in the middle intervals. I think I just relaxed a touch too much on #11 to end up with a miss. But I bounced back with the last interval to hit the window. Overall a success, and happy to mark the end of Phase 2. Now begins Phase 3! Arguably the hardest phase of Daniels 10k training starting with the I pace... Starts on Friday!!!

Wednesday was an "easy" day. It was a wind chill of 35F, a wind of 16-27 mph, and some rain. So, yea "easy"... The run felt comfortable though and with an average pace of 9:21 min/mile the HR was a staggeringly low 122. Solid!

Thursday was another attendance for me at sports introduction with G. We hit the ball off the tee in golf. "Dad, I got this. I don't need any help." And then she'd swing back and then forth and hit the ball. After golf, another neighbor showed up that I thought I recognized. I talked to him in the chairs and he said he sees me all the time running. Unfortunately for him, he's right at the heart of the "bunny on the pogo stick" which means I pass his house the most of any - over and over and over. He apparently saw me one day run by, then a few hours later saw me again, and was like ummm... did he just keep running that whole time? He used to play baseball but is going to try and do a sprint triathlon this summer. I wished him luck and offered help if he'd like any. The run was another easy day. It was a temp of 51, a wind of 18-30 mph, but hooray no rain. Ugh, this wind is annoying... Funny enough I saw the neighbor outside his house with his kids. HR and pace wise another solid day. It's then I realized I was probably on the cusp of another movement in my HRvPace graph. It was here I realized I'm finally under 3 hrs for a projection on the marathon. Something I've been working towards for 5 years and 7200 miles is finally coming into picture!

Friday was the beginning of Phase 3 (Transition Quality)! These next few weeks are the real meat of the training plan and with that a lot more work at I pace.

2 mi @ WU + 2 x 4 min @ I w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 3 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 2 x 2 min @ I w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD

I pace = 6:04 min/mile (roughly 2 mile race pace)
Interval window = +/- 5 seconds

Daniels (and the many reviews of Daniels I've read) stress that Phase 3 is TOUGH! So I went in with a race mindset. Easier to accept the workout when you know it's going to be tough, but that you CAN do it.

Set 1 (2 x 4 min intervals) - 6:07, 6:04
Set 2 (3 x 3 min intervals) - 6:11, 6:06, 6:10
Set 3 (2 x 2 min intervals) - 6:07, 6:08

The 1st interval was all about finding the I pace and getting comfortable with it. So slowly the pace went from 6:22 to 5:56 min/mile. The workout probably fell apart on the 2nd interval. It was way too fast in the beginning with the pace starting out around a 5:53 min/mile. It was a sub-6 pace for the first 90 seconds which was probably pushing too hard. it led to a fade at the end of 2nd interval that probably lingered into interval 3. I also got overconfident during/after the 2nd interval thinking this workout would be too easy from here. SLAP here comes reality! Definitely started interval 3 and by the time I realized it it was too late to recover. Interval 4 was all about redemption and making sure I hit the pace. Interval 5 started off strong but faded. Interval 6 and 7 felt much more comfortable. The end of interval 7 was tough, but I was happy to nail it!

So 5/7 intervals. I can't be unhappy with that as I'm setting paces I've never come close to before. I just set a new 1000m PR by a whopping 15 seconds. That's a pretty big improvement. It'll be interesting to see how these I paced workouts go going forward.

Overall average pace was a 6:07 min/mile. I decided to take the HR average from the middle of each interval (or the most common HR over the course of the interval) because the average didn't seem to do it justice (because of the build-up). So the average HR was 162. This would put it between 10k and HM HR. Another solid day! T+D of 70 with a light wind.

On Saturday my wife went to do volunteering, so it was G and I for most of the day. We just relaxed and watched movies most of the day. My wife returned home that afternoon and I left for running towards the peak of the heat (T+D of 110) with 18 mph winds. There's currently a manhunt in the area for a man who robbed a gun store and has wrote a manifesto. So I just tried to be extra mindful of my surroundings. I ran into a different neighbor at the park and we talked about running. Told her I was going for sub-3 and she said she "sucked" at running. I said we all start somewhere and five years ago I wasn't very good either. It just takes consistency and a good plan. She said maybe she'd start up again.

Sunday was a T+D of 106. Getting a little warmer here in Wisconsin, but looks like another cool front coming after tonight. Originally, I had this one down for 12 miles. But I decided to cut it back just a bit more to help induce further recovery and adaptation leading into phase 3. Another solid long long run and a good feeling to hit 10/10 intervals at the end of the step back week. I feel recharged and ready to attack the next few weeks. The HR was a touch outside of historical long run HR (138-142). Interestingly, there was our female neighbor out doing some loops as well. I gave her multiple thumbs-ups as we crossed paths several times. After running, my wife went to work and with the nicer weather G and I played soccer in the backyard. We would just dribble the soccer ball from one end of the yard to the other and then kick the ball into the fence. GOAL! She'd say. We were out there playing for almost 2 hrs and she wore me out.

So in total my peak two weeks ago was 60 miles and this week was 46.8 miles. This represents a cut of 22% from peak. Now, I'll spend another three weeks at higher mileage and cut back again right before phase 4 (racing! :car:) starts.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.53.30 AM.png

I think with Spring weather...thus begins a new type of training reality...getting done with a hard workout and then tiny cute daughters come at you wanting to play outside for hours and how can you say no? And then you wonder why you are more tired than the fun winter "movies and couch" months? At least this is what I am realizing. (Secretly happy the forecast is rain, so I can just talk her into letting me lounge on her bean bag chair while she plays inside with me tonight #tiredparentsunite.)

Great job on running the bunny this week (which makes way more sense than it used to now that I see your routes on strava)

I think with Spring weather...thus begins a new type of training reality...getting done with a hard workout and then tiny cute daughters come at you wanting to play outside for hours and how can you say no? And then you wonder why you are more tired than the fun winter "movies and couch" months? At least this is what I am realizing. (Secretly happy the forecast is rain, so I can just talk her into letting me lounge on her bean bag chair while she plays inside with me tonight #tiredparentsunite.)

::yes::

I think the positive spin way to look at it is this: I picked up running so I COULD play soccer for 2 hours with my kid. Because the shape I was in before, that would have never happened. And no less after already running 10 miles in the morning.

Sometimes it's good to remind myself on the tired days, that this is what I've been looking forward to.

Great job on running the bunny this week (which makes way more sense than it used to now that I see your routes on strava)

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 1.13.17 PM.png

Thanks!

Well done on the training as usual! I love the bunny route.

Sorry the instructor at super hero tumbling was not so nice. That happened to us too when we took our son when he was around G's age. It really ticked me off as I recall. I was like, "He's 3 years old and you have him out on a mat with all sorts of distractions not to mention a dozen other 3 year olds and you expect him to sit still and pay attention?" Come on!! Needless to say we never went back. :D

Well done on the training as usual! I love the bunny route.

Thanks!

giphy.gif

Sorry the instructor at super hero tumbling was not so nice. That happened to us too when we took our son when he was around G's age. It really ticked me off as I recall. I was like, "He's 3 years old and you have him out on a mat with all sorts of distractions not to mention a dozen other 3 year olds and you expect him to sit still and pay attention?" Come on!! Needless to say we never went back. :D

Sounds like a similar experience and the same end result. I think sometimes we, as adults, need to realize they are just kids. Sometimes they'll be crazy. Embrace the madness! Because clearly if she wants to, she can do things as evidenced by our long soccer game. Now, we'll see what happens when we combine soccer with other kids too because that starts in a few weeks.

Love the G updates and those photos are wonderful! I occasionally sneak mateojr into Wisconsin gear. Unfortunately, Wisconsin does not have our oldest son's major, but our middle son is considering!!!! We'll take him for the official visit and campus tour this fall with fingers crossed. :) I was a campus tour guide in college, so I'll be excited to see the new version!

My unscientific analysis is that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for chocolate milk in either running or life. Please put a finish line at Babcock Hall and just open the doors.

Beauty and the Beast - mateojr ran as Beast in the 2014 PHM 5K - costume still fits him! Movie was OK - my husband and I took a new crew of three boys plus one very nice girlfriend! We're all Josh Gad fans, so we enjoyed him. Thought Gaston was great too.

Love the G updates and those photos are wonderful!

Thanks! She loves to model so we'll keep doing it at my wife's store. If you get the UW Alumni magazine you might see her in some ads soon.

I occasionally sneak mateojr into Wisconsin gear.

Good choice!

Unfortunately, Wisconsin does not have our oldest son's major, but our middle son is considering!!!! We'll take him for the official visit and campus tour this fall with fingers crossed. :) I was a campus tour guide in college, so I'll be excited to see the new version!

:woohoo:

What major is your middle son considering? I enjoyed my tour when I came up from Georgia. I really like all of the UW "failures" they pointed out with parking structures and engineering fails.

My unscientific analysis is that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for chocolate milk in either running or life.

:lmao:

I'll have to say though I am enjoying a peanut butter banana smoothie these days. So not that far off from chocolate milk! :D

Please put a finish line at Babcock Hall and just open the doors.

Such a great idea!

Beauty and the Beast - mateojr ran as Beast in the 2014 PHM 5K - costume still fits him! Movie was OK - my husband and I took a new crew of three boys plus one very nice girlfriend! We're all Josh Gad fans, so we enjoyed him. Thought Gaston was great too.

::yes::

Some pics from when G met the Easter Bunny!

EMP-Nakoma-BunnyBrunch2017-0026.jpg

EMP-Nakoma-BunnyBrunch2017-0027.jpg

I had to laugh when I pulled out the yellow pants. I said G which do you want me to wear: normal dress khaki or these yellow pants? She went with the yellow ones. It was also nice to put them on as they used to be my "tight, I'm finally skinny enough" yellow pants, and now they're my "wow when did these get so baggy" yellow pants.

Shut up with these pictures!!! Her smile is so sweet. My kids were always too freaked out by a huge rabbit to ever go see the Easter Bunny and she seems perfectly happy about it.

That is such a great family picture. And I love that Gigi and your wife's hands are almost touching. That's so sweet.

It would make a perfect Christmas card...well except maybe not because of the bunny in it.

Adorable bunny photos! Meaning, G is adorable. That bunny, well . . .

Middle son considering jumping on family bandwagon - poli sci or history major followed by law school. :) That bandwagon has lots of family members on it, so at first I thought he might be deterred, but looks like he's headed in that direction. I'd be absolutely thrilled with Madison and I know he would love it. But tuition reciprocity with those Gophers would be OK.

Just registered oldest son for 2018 half marathon, so I transferred to Goofy. (Fingers crossed on that refund - makes me nervous.) Thrilled to be running with him again, and excited to make this another challenge weekend. Yay!

Shut up with these pictures!!! Her smile is so sweet. My kids were always too freaked out by a huge rabbit to ever go see the Easter Bunny and she seems perfectly happy about it.

LOL, quite the opposite reaction here...

EMP-Nakoma-BunnyBrunch2017-0021.jpg

EMP-Nakoma-BunnyBrunch2017-0022.jpg

EMP-Nakoma-BunnyBrunch2017-0023.jpg

Genuinely happy just to sit and hug the girl easter bunny.

That is such a great family picture. And I love that Gigi and your wife's hands are almost touching. That's so sweet.

It would make a perfect Christmas card...well except maybe not because of the bunny in it.

Thanks! We definitely dressed up for that reason (possible christmas card). I didn't notice their hands but thats a nice touch.

Adorable bunny photos! Meaning, G is adorable. That bunny, well . . .

Thanks! Yea, the bunny is a bit off. Not quite Donnie Darko off though...

giphy.gif

Middle son considering jumping on family bandwagon - poli sci or history major followed by law school. :) That bandwagon has lots of family members on it, so at first I thought he might be deterred, but looks like he's headed in that direction. I'd be absolutely thrilled with Madison and I know he would love it.

Fun! Definitely a good choice!

But tuition reciprocity with those Gophers would be OK.

Ahem... yea maybe...

Just registered oldest son for 2018 half marathon, so I transferred to Goofy. (Fingers crossed on that refund - makes me nervous.) Thrilled to be running with him again, and excited to make this another challenge weekend. Yay!

Woot Woot! Sounds fun!

Also, just read you recap from First Call. Sorry to hear it didn't go so well. Just put it behind you and move on I guess.

I had my annual health assessment this morning. Insurance gives us $150 for completing it, so why not? I'll use the money to pay for race fees anyways, so it's like a big healthy circle. This is in addition to the $200 my insurance is giving me for running Dopey!

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 10.59.25 AM.png

It was interesting to go back through my health and find old data. Looks like I did a good job avoiding the doctor when my health was at it's worst (between 2008-2009 and early-mid 2012). Jan 18, 2012 was when I went in for the voluntary physical and the doctor gave me the "talk". The pulse dropping is pretty cool to see (especially since it was 45 for the last couple of days but last night's hard workout pushed it to 54 this morning). Overall, looks like I'm doing a pretty good job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter