To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Happy belated birthday! :bday: Based on pictures, I thought it was G's!

Thanks! I let her blow out the candles, because she was super excited.

Is that 2 new pairs of shoes??? Will start calling you Imelda...

Well I guess if you count the Freedoms I got last week, then yes these (Kinvara 8) and the Freedoms. Although, that's just two pictures of the same pair of Kinvara 8.

Currently in the collection I do have:

Zealot ISO B
Ride 8 C
Ride 8 D
Kinvara 5 Black
Kinvara 6 A
Kinvara 6 B
Kinvara 6 C
Kinvara 6 Race

I just retired:

Triumph ISO D
Triumph ISO 2 B
Zealot ISO A

Just purchased:

Freedom ISO A
Kinvara 8 Race

On the list to be purchased next (just waiting for the price to drop to a reasonable cost per mile basis since not all shoes can go the same distance in life of shoe):

Triumph ISO 2 C
Triumph ISO 2 D
Kinvara 7 A
Kinvara 7 B
Kinvara 7 C
Zealot ISO C

Not quite 3000 pairs of shoes though. :D

Yep was referring to the birthday shoes. But had no idea about all your others! How many miles are you getting from them?

Zealot ISO = 400 miles
Triumph ISO = 500 miles
Ride 8 = 350 miles
Kinvara = 180 miles
Freedom ISO = 500 miles?

This is one reason why I check the price per mile on shoes to determine buying them. The Ride 8 and Triumph serve the same purpose (easy runs) so the Ride 8 needs to be 30% cheaper than the Triumph to justify buying them. This is an exercise I just completed about a week ago:

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 7.31.14 AM.png

So as soon as the price drops one more increment on Running Warehouse for the Kinvara 7 and Triumph ISO 2 I plan to pounce because they're close to what I'm looking for.

Those shoes rock! I'm sure they are going to take you to great places! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm excited to see how they can help me on my journey. I tried them on at the same time as the Freedoms and they felt phenomenal.

47 Days to Go (Final Boss Battle!)

maxresdefault.jpg

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

4/25/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 8 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 3 mi @ CD (3/8)
4/26/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/27/17 - R - 2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1 mi @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mi @ CD (8/10)
4/28/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
4/29/17 - Sat - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
4/30/17 - Sun - 1 mi WU + 8 miles @ M Tempo + 1 mi @ T + 2 mi @ M Tempo (9/11)
5/1/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 54.8 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 20/29 (69%)

Monday was the last off day for G and I because next week soccer starts!

Tuesday was the "easiest" I paced run of the training cycle, but many things worked against me today.

2 mi @ WU + 8 x 3 min @ I w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 3 mi @ CD

T+D = 113 with 16-23 mph winds

I pace = 6:04 min/mile (1% T+D adjustment = 6:08 min/mile) *roughly 2 mile race pace
I pace window = +/- 5 seconds (6:03-6:13)

I wore my "race" Kinvaras for this training run to see if I could tell a difference between the high mileage Kinvaras and the barely used ones. Most definitely a difference as the feeling of running fast felt easier and much smoother.

Alas, the workout didn't go as well as it could of -

I paces - 6:07, 6:12, 6:18, 6:13, 6:26, 6:18, 6:38, 6:43

Overall, the first interval was good. Consistent pacing throughout and if anything a touch too fast. The trouble started with interval #2. I didn't take into account the T+D adjustment (came to the realization later in the run). So per my table I use,

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html

I should have slowed down about 1% (making it a 6:08 goal pace and not 6:04). So the first minute was at 5:58 pace and thus way too fast, and it forced a major slow down towards the end of the interval (6:20s). Didn't help that the wind was in that direction either. The trend continued through the next several intervals. Then the 3 minute run and 2 min walk wasn't allowing me to get back to my water so I was getting thirsty, So the wind, heat and lack of water all led to the last few intervals being a major fade. Lessons learned. Overall I'm not too worried about it because I could feel some serious power during portions of the run. Just couldn't overcome the too fast starts, the wind, and lack of water. On to the next one!

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.30.42 PM.png

Wednesday was an easy day. The rain was holding out (T+D of 113 and wind between 8-18 mph). I decided to take my brand new Freedom ISOs out for their maiden voyage. They were definitely different than any other shoe I had. I don't know if it was because my legs were beat up from Tuesday's tough run or the Freedoms at easy pace, but things didn't feel right. It just felt tougher than a normal easy run. Like my legs felt like they were going faster than a normal easy run, but the fatigue felt higher than a normal easy run (and not because of the pace). A little bit of a thought conundrum. Once I started doing some of the strides the shoes felt more normal. So the plan is to try them at long run pace (next week 12 miler) next to see how they handle that.

Thursday was another T paced run

2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1 mi @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mi @ CD

What the What?!?!

T pace = 6:38 min/mile
R pace = 5:36 min/mile (200m = 42 sec)

T pace window = +/- 5 seconds
R pace window = +/- 1 second

What a difference 48 hours makes. T+D of 74 (vs 116? just 48 hrs ago during the last Q workout) with a wind of 14-18 mph (still can't win there I guess). I decided to go with the Kinvara race shoes again. I got a new "race" pair coming in the mail so I'm good to start using these as trainers now. I could definitely tell the difference.

T paces = 6:36, 6:36, 6:34, 6:35, 6:34, 6:34
R paces = 41, 42, 40, 40

Not much to say about this one. A dominant performance all around. The only two intervals outside pace where the last two R paces and they were just a few tenths of a second too fast. I worked really hard on controlling my breathing and pumping my arms. Definitely felt easier to run this way, but of course a T+D of 74 makes it easier to run in general.

During the WU was an interesting observation. I was running along the road and in the curb/gutter I saw a soccer ball. I thought it was odd because we're pretty far from any houses so why would a soccer ball be sitting in the middle of the road like that. Ahhhh, nooooo, that's not a soccer ball. That's the fattest pigeon I've ever seen! Poor girl (assuming with eggs) was trying to stay warm and out of the wind. I felt so bad for her. I considered taking my singlet off and trying to wrap her up to keep her warm, but theres no guarantee she'd stay with it anyways. I sure hope she survives tonight's frost.

The other interesting observation was the HR. The average HR for the six T pace intervals was an astounding 151 for an average pace of 6:34. WHAT?!?!? My marathon HR average is 149-152 so a 151 is like right in that range. That's absolutely nuts! At this point, no there is no way I could do a 6:34 min/mile for 26.2 miles. But man, that's a crazy hit on the workout. I mean technically this desired pace (T pace) should be between 10k (164) and HM (160) so for it to be closer to M is crazy.

Last observation, the fastest mile I've ever run was during the Disney 5k (taken from Garmin) at a 6:29 min/mile (technically a portion during that run was a 6:26). So splits #3, 5 and 6 all represent the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fastest miles I have ever run in my life at a 6:34 min/mile. I'd say that's some serious progress.

Some day this wind will die down and we'll get an even better picture of where I'm at. I'm excited for Sunday's Q3 workout because it's 8 miles at M tempo + 1 mile at T + 1 mile at M tempo. That T pace in the middle will be an interesting and new twist. Looks like rain though, but I'm excited!

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.32.14 PM.png

Friday was a T+D of 86 with a light rain. BUT BUT BUT... NO WIND!!!! Too bad it was wasted on an easy day, but still... NO WIND!!! I pulled back and took it nice and easy.

Saturday was a WC of 33F with a 16mph wind (boo the wind is back...). Another easy day that felt smooth. G and I spent most of the day together and we watched lots of movies and tv. Surprisingly, her favorite show of the day was Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel. She liked watching them find "ghosts". They could be kid ghosts or boy ghosts or girl ghosts or boy boy ghosts (huh?). Ack, did you hear that? Those ghosts said something! We skipped the scary intros and stuck with the night vision of the guys walking around getting ghost responses. We actually had to search out episodes on Sunday when she wanted more Ghost shows.

On Sunday, I'll admit it - I was scared and not excited about this run. Yesterday's forecast for today wasn't looking too good. It was going to be rain, high winds (19-30 mph), and relatively cold at 30s WC (which pushes me into something other than a tank top). My left hip was feeling a touch sore (never had that feeling before) and my left achilles was sore as well (also never had that feeling before). So between the weather and the soreness I wasn't terribly excited.

1 mile @ WU + 8 miles @ M Tempo + 1 mile @ T + 2 miles @ M Tempo + CD

M Tempo = 7:02 min/mile
T pace = 6:38 min/mile

M Tempo window = +/- 10 sec
T Pace window = +/- 5 seconds

I woke up at 6am and realized I didn't hear any rain outside. So I checked the radar, and it showed a small window until 10am without rain. I took the opportunity for a slightly better forecast and moved up my timeline. This meant no full running breakfast and 2 hr gap and instead a 1 hr gap with an E-gel about 15 min before starting to run. The WC was still 35F and the wind was 14-18 mph. So I went with shorts, thin gloves, tank top arm sleeves, and my Race Kinvaras. Since the weather outlook was slightly better it reinvigorated my interest in attacking this run. So I viewed this as a final boss battle since the Daniels 10k plan is starting to wind down. GO TIME!

tumblr_mdmbs8Xc8L1rkey39o1_r3_500.gif

As soon as I started running I could feel the soreness in the achilles lingering. Still wasn't sure if it was real or not. Thankfully by the time I hit the "aid" station drop off at mile 0.4 the soreness was gone.

M Tempo 1st set - 7:05, 6:56, 7:00, 6:54, 7:04, 6:53, 6:56, 7:07

Well, looks like I threw the first punch against the final boss battle. I really focused hard on breathing, staying relaxed and running with good form. Powering up the hills, but maintaining good form throughout. The wind was in a good direction for my route as it's effect was minimized to only a few sections. Otherwise, the wind effect stayed minimal. As I rounded, the end of M Tempo mile 8, I knew it was time to throw down another haymaker...

giphy.gif

T Pace = 6:32 min/mile

BAM! The smile on my face was huge throughout this mile. I felt controlled, strong, and like I was really flying now. I dare say the effort felt even easier than just Thursday's T pace interval run. The majority of the beginning of the mile was flat and without wind. I was in the 6:20s for most of the mile until the last uphill. As I entered the uphill I was at a 6:24 min/mile pace, just under my mile PR. I just tried to stay strong up the hill and maintain effort. Landed a 6:32 min/mile, up a hill, as my second fastest mile EVER in the middle of a M Tempo run. BOOM!

200.gif

M Tempo = 6:48, 7:00

Let's just say the juices were still flowing after the T pace interval. The first of these two miles is more downhill so the pace got away from me, but I just tried to maintain M Tempo effort throughout. I was not disappointed in the least with the interval being off as I was trying to hold back enough to get it in pace and I just couldn't (I'd say that's a good thing). Then, I just tried to hold on for the last mile, but I never felt like it was too much for me. I honestly could have kept going without issue. I was feeling very strong and still had a huge smile on my face. Final boss defeated!

a347e8185600c2d9a4b740d5c28730bb_mike-tysons-punchout-gifs-punch-out-gif_384-360.gif

Now as always, the big question when I got home is what was the HR. M Tempo historical HR is between 149-152. So where was today's 11 mile M Tempo + T pace set? Oh, just 145?!??!? At an average pace of a 6:55 min/mile. With wind. And hills. Ack! Amazing! The HRvPace graph suggests a 2:53-2:59 marathon now, and after today's run I'm feeling much more confident that this is indeed realistic. Still 5 months from goal marathon day, but the Daniels 10k plan has had the desired effect. Less than three weeks until the first victory lap!

April Monthly Running Report

(Completed/Scheduled)
Running Miles - 231.6/233.9 (99%)
Running Duration - 31:47:18/32:51:22 (97%)
Running Pace - 8:14 min/mile
Average HR - 134 bpm (65% Heart Rate Reserve or 74% HRmax)

Overall happy with how the Daniels 10k training has gone thus far. I'm in the winding down part of the training and entering the racing part (Hooray!). The effect of this training cycle has far exceeded my expectations. It's not the end of the training cycle yet, but this is a sneak peak at the effect it has had on my body.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.09.00 PM.png

The x-axis is pace in min/mile and the y-axis is HR. The colored lines are logarithmic lines of best fit using two week time periods of HRvPace data. The black line is where I started in Jan/Feb and as you can see as time progresses each line falls further on the graph. So as you can see, the black line intersects a HR of 152 at around a 7:40 min/mile and now that same HR of 152 is around a 6:35 min/mile (in only 12 weeks of training). Just so happens, my historical marathon HR is 149-152. The end result is a visualization of my improvement over time. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I hope mama pigeon is okay.

Also you forgot the ultimate boss!
super-mario-bros-speedrun.jpg

So if you are having a tough mile...just like wait for it to shoot a bunch of flames or hammers at you and then just jump over it and let it fall into the lava...or something like that?

Great work this week...you are making me tired reading about your paces. Glad that you are repping the brightly colored shoes...they lead to success!

So if you are having a tough mile...just like wait for it to shoot a bunch of flames or hammers at you and then just jump over it and let it fall into the lava...or something like that?
This seems like solid running advice right here. I'm definitely going to be testing this out at my next race.

Awesome week and I love seeing that graph of your improvement. Impressive.

I'll be waiting to hear more about your thoughts on the Freedoms. They were really pushing them at my local running store when I was in browsing shoes. They no longer carry Kinvaras which makes me :(. I'm going to need to buy some new shoes soon and was considering the Freedoms, but after your experience, I'm really debating if I should try them. They are pricey if I end up not liking them and I can pick up older versions of the Kinvaras on line pretty economically.

Running report looks great - yay! Speaking of 5 months from marathon, I was just about to register for Lakefront yesterday. I'll get there, I think! Also, I'm hoping that someone can take a moment to explain the boss battle, because @mateojr says these words very frequently!

I decided to take my brand new Freedom ISOs out for their maiden voyage. They were definitely different than any other shoe I had. I don't know if it was because my legs were beat up from Tuesday's tough run or the Freedoms at easy pace, but things didn't feel right. It just felt tougher than a normal easy run. Like my legs felt like they were going faster than a normal easy run, but the fatigue felt higher than a normal easy run (and not because of the pace). A little bit of a thought conundrum. Once I started doing some of the strides the shoes felt more normal. So the plan is to try them at long run pace (next week 12 miler) next to see how they handle that.

Interesting, and I'll be interested to hear how they feel when you're not coming off a tough workout (or if you instead use them for a tough workout). I have been mainly using my Freedom ISOs for strength and tempo runs for the past month or so, and I really like them. They make the pace feel easier (especially at the beginning) than my Ultra Boost STs; however, after about 9-10 miles of running, I do wish I had the Ultra Boost STs just because of their thicker cushioning. I have also used the Freedom ISOs during some easy runs, but only as needed for shoe rotation. BTW, I was debating right up until the night before, but I did run the Dark Side half marathon in the Freedom ISOs, and I'm glad I did. I really think these shoes are more at home when you are running at a faster pace.

Do you have other low drop shoes? I was worried about the 4mm drop since I am used to an 8mm+ drop. It has been fine, but I do wonder if that's another reason why I typically desire my Ultra Boost STs after about 9-10 miles. Again, the half marathon felt very comfortable in the Freedom ISOs, so I think when I'm at race pace, they work for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter