To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Wow!! I'd say she has transitioned from toddler to kid lol. My wife's got the baby bug again, so I may be jumping back into the mix here shortly... I thought I was going to be one and done lol!

Most definitely!

Oh man, baby #2! I'd say we're still in the happy with one mode. Best of luck!

75 Days to Go (The horizon...)

giphy-2.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

3/28/17 - T - 2 mi @ WU + 5 sets of (200m R + 200m WU + 200m R + 400m WU + 400m R + 200m WU) + 3 mi @ CD (14/15)
3/29/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
3/30/17 - R - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
3/31/17 - F - 2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD (9/10)
4/1/17 - Sat - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides + MBW
4/2/17 - Sun - 1 mi @ WU + 10 miles @ M Tempo (7:02) + 0.5 mile CD (8/10)
4/3/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 54.1 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 31/35 (89%)

No super hero tumbling on Monday this week. So G and I just got to spend some quality time together!

Tuesday was another speed day!
2 mi @ WU + 5 sets of (200m R + 200m WU + 200m R + 400m WU + 400m R + 200m WU) + 3 mi @ CD

This is one of those runs on paper where it looked like it was a step back workout. It was 200 run, 200 jog, 200 run, 400 jog, 400 run, 200 jog. I mean I get a 400m jog before the upcoming 400m run. Sounds like an easier run, right? Except as soon as the 400m run finished I realized after the 200m jog was a 200m run. Which meant I normally got 400m jog rest after every 400m run I've done in Daniels thus far, but today I only got 200m jog before the next interval. So it was a tougher run than my mindset was going into it, so how did it go?

R pace = 5:40 min/mile (200m = 42 sec, 400m = 85 sec) *roughly mile pace
Interval window = +/- 1 second

Set 1 - 43, 42, 83
Set 2 - 43, 42, 86
Set 3 - 42, 41, 85
Set 4 - 42, 41, 86
Set 5 - 42, 41, 85

Overall it went about as well as I could have expected. Outside of one interval that was too fast (83 second 400?!?!) it was a nailed workout! The temp + dew point was 97 (which is near ideal) and the wind was only 7mph. When I got home Steph and G told me all about her "sports introduction" class. Instead of several stations and kids on their own with teachers this was a parent/child class. It was also mostly 3 year olds. So it was much crazier and right up G's ally. They tried several different sports and games. Since my Tuesdays are a longer duration workout I won't be able to attend these, but Thursday's are shorter so I can be there for those for now.

Wednesday was an easy day. There was a 15mph wind with a WC of 39. It tried to rain, but thankfully held off until after I was finished. I was definitely feeling the effects of the Q1 workout on Tuesday. So I took the easy day, REALLY easy. Just kind of zoned out and rolled with it. Was sore throughout, but wrapped up the run with some strides that helped loosen everything up. The fastest stride only got up to a 7:00 min/mile, but I wasn't willing to push it.

Thursday was the first "sports introduction" class I could attend with G. We learned golf, hand/eye with a balloon, and throwing a football. G did well with the golf with the appropriate "down thumb" grip without much instruction. Overall a much better experience than super hero tumbling because of the things Steph told me on Tuesday. It was another easy day after we got home from sports and I was still reeling from the Tuesday effort. I was feeling better though. Decided to go with another EASY day. It tried to rain again, but thankfully held off. Wind was about 16mph with a WC of 31.

Friday was a test of the threshold pace. This was the first time I was going to do the T pace exclusively as a flat route.
2 mi @ WU + 6 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI @ WU + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD

T = 6:38 min/mile
R = 5:40 min/mile (200m = 42 sec)

T interval window = +/- 5 seconds
R interval window = +/- 1 second

Fooled again! On paper, this didn't look that tough. I mean last week was 3 miles at T then a rest then 2x1 at T. So this seemed like it should have been easier. Not so much. While nothing individually was as hard as 3 straight miles of T, I think the cumulative 6x1 with 1 min rests was actually quite demanding. Today's limiting factor was definitely leg strength. I could tell I was wiped from last Tuesday's workout through Wed/Thurs's easy runs. Today's run was another that just beat my legs up.

T Pace Set = 6:42, 6:36, 6:38, 6:40, 6:40, 6:39
R Pace Set = 42, 44, 43, 43

Overall, very happy to nail the T pace set. I wasn't quite sure I was capable of this kind of speed. I mean it was less than a year ago I set my mile PR at 6:42 and only recently in January re-set my mile PR at 6:26. So to hit 6 separate miles at an average of 6:39 is pretty stellar. Add to that there was a 10-12 mph north wind meant that the first half of each interval was into the wind and the second half with the wind. It looks like most first halves were around a 6:45-7:00 min/mile and the second half around a 6:17-6:30 min/mile. I was pretty ticked when I missed the second R interval. I mean REALLY, I did the hard part already and I screwed up an "easy" (relatively speaking) R pace. GRRR!

On the bright side, the average HR for all of the T pace intervals was 156 at a pace of 6:39 min/mile average. Color me stunned because my HM pace is 160 and 10k pace is 164. So an average of 156 is interesting to say the least. Back on 3/10 I did a 4x1 mile workout and it was an average pace of 6:53 with a HR of 155 (although this one did have some hills, whereas today was completely flat). Regardless, a continued interesting development.

Lastly, a new 10k PR per Garmin and just slightly slower than the Strava 10k PR. That's interesting because of the 6x1 mile with 1 min rests. Guess that makes my 10k PR a run/walk! BOOM!

Saturday was an easy day on a beautiful chilly morning. There was a local race down the road that I could hear the race announcer for. I had wavered back and forth as to whether I should sign up for it, but since I was still at the beginning of Daniels I decided against racing. Instead I did the Friday Q2 and would do Sunday's M Tempo. So, Saturday was an easy day. I again kept the effort really easy throughout. After the run, we headed down to the race finish line to cheer on some other runners. My co-worker (now former) and her husband had raced that morning. He set a new "score" (LOL!) on his HM race cutting his time by 4 minutes. He's a run/walker and is making great progress! My co-worker was using the race as a training run because she was pacing a 15 miler the next morning. It was nice to catch up with her and hear about her new job. We parted ways and she let me know she intended to come spectate Lakefront, so potentially we'll see each other again.

Sunday was a 10 mile marathon tempo at my new pace (7:02 min/mile). It was three weeks ago that I ran my first M tempo at a 7:23 min/mile and I wasn't sure whether I could do that for 10 miles. So now pushing the pace up to 7:02 was a definite step up. So was it doable?

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 7.51.36 PM.png

The first pace mile was a tad off (7:20) but within my first mile window of +30 sec. I'm a slow starter but once I get in the groove I can take over. Unfortunately, the second mile was outside the window too. It was a blow to the confidence being one second outside, but I didn't know if I had truly bit off more than I could handle. I buckled down and tried to hold the effort and see if it could fall in place. Then, the miles started clicking off more comfortably. About half way through with several successful miles I had a huge smile on my face. I was doing this and I can do this! I settled into the pace and let my legs take over. The last mile ended up being too fast by 1 second, but still felt very comfortable. Watch out! The weather was near perfect at 40 with no wind (hooray for shorts and singlet!).

So after the run was finished the big question was... what was the average HR? Was this pace beyond the historical marathon HR of 152? Not even close... somehow someway the HR was a crazy 148 at an average pace of 7:06. I just can't believe it! With this I achieved a new VO2 max estimate of 57 based on my estimated HR max of 180. Check out my updated HR v pace graph current to today. Notice a few dots trending away from the green line and it's clear I'm in another improvement swing. Now it's time for a down week to reap the benefits of training to come back even stronger! Watch out here I come!

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 6.50.08 PM.png

Updated Projections:
Mile - 5:12
5k - 17:58 (5:47 min/mile)
10k - 37:53 (6:06 min/mile)
HM - 1:23:14 (6:21 min/mile)
M - 3:00:54 (6:54 min/mile)

Feels like something may be on the horizon, a very specific horizon...

Great week! And awesome on the unofficial 10K PR - especially with it being run/walk. :rotfl:

It's so cool how you've been able to see such an improvement in your speed and to also see your heart rate improve as well. Great work!

Great week!

Thanks!

And awesome on the unofficial 10K PR - especially with it being run/walk. :rotfl:

I knew you'd like that!

It's so cool how you've been able to see such an improvement in your speed and to also see your heart rate improve as well. Great work!

Agreed. I'm very happy to see the Daniels 10k training is paying off and I feel the change in diet is playing a role as well. Excited to see how the next few weeks play out!

Wow to the 6:51 as your last mile and your heart rate too!....wait maybe you are turning into a MACHINE!?
Maybe add some rust-prohibitors to your water-stops since it's only a matter of time until you go full-robot.

tumblr_nn0q82vJr21rwfctbo1_1280.gif

Hmmm...I wonder what could possibly be on the horizon???
giphy.gif

Wow to the 6:51 as your last mile and your heart rate too!

Almost there, just a few seconds less and for 26.2 and we're there!

wait maybe you are turning into a MACHINE!?

http---mashable.com-wp-content-uploads-2013-05-tumblr_mi1p8uxiM81raa62io1_500.gif

We're running machines!

Maybe add some rust-prohibitors to your water-stops since it's only a matter of time until you go full-robot.

ACK, hopefully my "hobby" doesn't bounce back on me too!

Hmmm...I wonder what could possibly be on the horizon???

giphy.gif

Guessing this isn't how it works...but just in case...here's some marathons happening tomorrow :)

April
4/8/17 Brian Mickelsen Memorial Marathon Cottonwood AZ
4/8/17 Davy Crockett Bear Chase Groveton TX
4/8/17 Eisenhower Marathon Abilene KS
4/8/17 Garden Spot Village Marathon New Holland PA
4/8/17 Tyson Foods,Inc. Hogeye Marathon Springdale AR
4/8/17 Lake Lowell Marathon Nampa ID
4/8/17 Night Sweats April Trail Marathon San Francisco CA
4/8/17 Queen City Marathon for Active Water Cumberland MD
4/8/17 Squak Mountain Trail Marathon Issaquah WA

I'm kidding...don't go do that. :)

Guessing this isn't how it works...but just in case...here's some marathons happening tomorrow :)
http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm?Sort=RaceDate&Place=USA&StartDate=6/8/17
April
4/8/17 Brian Mickelsen Memorial Marathon Cottonwood AZ
4/8/17 Davy Crockett Bear Chase Groveton TX
4/8/17 Eisenhower Marathon Abilene KS
4/8/17 Garden Spot Village Marathon New Holland PA
4/8/17 Tyson Foods,Inc. Hogeye Marathon Springdale AR
4/8/17 Lake Lowell Marathon Nampa ID
4/8/17 Night Sweats April Trail Marathon San Francisco CA
4/8/17 Queen City Marathon for Active Water Cumberland MD
4/8/17 Squak Mountain Trail Marathon Issaquah WA

I'm kidding...don't go do that. :)

LOL, yea.... Nope definitely doesn't work like that! I'm feeling more confident, but not THAT confident. :eek:

BTW, that is an interesting collection of marathon names: bear chase, tyson foods, night sweats, active water, squak mountain.... Seems like a bad horror movie to me, not the names of this weekend's marathons. :P

COMPLETE THE BEAR CHASE FROM ACTIVE WATER TO SQUAK MOUNTAIN, BUT YOU MUST DO SO AFTER THE NIGHT SWEATS FROM EATING TYSON FOODS!!!! :crazy:

::yes::

Nice job!!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter