To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I saw the PT today. She believes the root issue was the back injury on 5/4/19 during the 80DO workout which manifested on 5/5/19 (resolved on 5/9/19). She thought it was nerve damage from the back injury which has manifested in glute pain that is non-specific in an area and maybe also contribute to other issues further down the kinetic chain. When she evaluated my lower back she confirmed her feelings with a difference in my sacroiliac joint between my left and right side (left side was the issue apparently). She said it was quite pronounced. Additionally, I had minimal flexibility when bending my spine backwards when standing and attempting cobra while laying on my stomach. With that being said, she took me through several exercises and then retested me and stated she could tell a difference. She thinks a few weeks of these exercises will help ease the problems. And trying to sit/walk straighter with less of a hunch. So I've got a follow-up in 3 weeks. No need to take time off from exercise as long as things stay at their current level of being on the lower end of the pain spectrum. She wants to make minimal changes to see if we can alleviate the issues while training continues so that we don't change too many variables. We may then do a running analysis to dive deeper into the running form problems that I might be having based on the things she was seeing.

And trying to sit/walk straighter with less of a hunch.
I find this hardest to do while staring at a spreadsheet or at my lab bench. Sitting on a balance ball for a week helped with my posture and I now find myself sitting more on the edge of my chair instead of hunched over our slouching. It has not improved the data sets that encouraged the slouch.

In terms of posture, one thing to think about is the height of your computer/keyboard. I found that having an external monitor and keyboard is a big game changer (or a desktop where things are not all attached in the first place) ... the way a laptop is designed encourages slouching because of the relationship between the keyboard (aka where your hands/arms are) and where the things you're looking at are. Having a monitor at eye level helps you keep your gaze in front of you mostly (obviously you may be looking down to type), which enourages you to sit up straighter.

I think. I may be making this all up.

In terms of posture, one thing to think about is the height of your computer/keyboard. I found that having an external monitor and keyboard is a big game changer (or a desktop where things are not all attached in the first place) ... the way a laptop is designed encourages slouching because of the relationship between the keyboard (aka where your hands/arms are) and where the things you're looking at are. Having a monitor at eye level helps you keep your gaze in front of you mostly (obviously you may be looking down to type), which enourages you to sit up straighter.

I think. I may be making this all up.

Seems reasonable to me. I've got a lap top attached to a secondary monitor. The secondary monitor is where I do most of my work and the middle is just below eye level. Although it is off to the side a touch from the laptop. So I spend a good bit of the day turning (and maybe leaning) to the left to look at it. This might be another area to try and improve upon in the configuration of the desk.

Seems reasonable to me. I've got a lap top attached to a secondary monitor. The secondary monitor is where I do most of my work and the middle is just below eye level. Although it is off to the side a touch from the laptop. So I spend a good bit of the day turning (and maybe leaning) to the left to look at it. This might be another area to try and improve upon in the configuration of the desk.

If you can (I know getting employers to pay for things is difficult), get an external keyboard and mouse. Put those and the secondary monitor in front of you, and the laptop off to the side. That way you'll only occasionally have to use the laptop.

My setup at my old job was convertible standing desk, keyboard and mouse at desk-level, and monitor around eye-level, with my laptop on a stand off to the left. I rarely used the laptop (mostly I used it for checking my personal email and DISboards) - but when I did use it, I tried to turn my whole body off to the side and not just lean over.

As you may have noticed, I'm super passionate about workspace setup. Having a standing desk was a game changer for me and now I pretty much want everyone to have one ... or at least have a good, comfortable setup.

I am going to say misery loves company. My butt issue, while a lot better, the PT said i needed better posture. I know it is awful and especially bad at work. My excuse is that is it so cold for me in the office that i hunch up, and i do it so much that it is natural. I even have an adjustable desk but I almost never stand because i need to sit to wrap my blanket around me.

If you can (I know getting employers to pay for things is difficult), get an external keyboard and mouse. Put those and the secondary monitor in front of you, and the laptop off to the side. That way you'll only occasionally have to use the laptop.

It's possible. I can walk around the lab and see if anyone's willing to give some things up.

I am going to say misery loves company. My butt issue, while a lot better, the PT said i needed better posture. I know it is awful and especially bad at work. My excuse is that is it so cold for me in the office that i hunch up, and i do it so much that it is natural. I even have an adjustable desk but I almost never stand because i need to sit to wrap my blanket around me.

Standing desk wouldn't really work given the design of our desk spaces. Thankfully no blankets needed here since the room is usually kept around 77-80 F.

My butt and hip issues 2 years ago (which turned into whole leg nerve pain issues) were also back issues. My PT had me set a timer on my phone for every 20 minutes to get up and do cobra type stretches, either against the wall or on the floor (I work at home so not really an issue to get down on the floor here).

I hope the exercises help you out! My DH had some back issues that used to give him horrible pain in the butt and hamstring. PT helped a lot.

My butt and hip issues 2 years ago (which turned into whole leg nerve pain issues) were also back issues. My PT had me set a timer on my phone for every 20 minutes to get up and do cobra type stretches, either against the wall or on the floor (I work at home so not really an issue to get down on the floor here).

Yikes! I'd want nothing to do with getting on my work floor. Eeek! Thankfully I've only got to do them 1-2 time per day for now.

I hope the exercises help you out! My DH had some back issues that used to give him horrible pain in the butt and hamstring. PT helped a lot.

Thanks! Seems to make a lot of sense when she laid it all out there. I'll be sure to be diligent about the PT and hopefully get some relief. And hopefully back to normal.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, BUT...

Yoga = better posture
Yoga = healthier SI joint
Yoga = better runner

Doing cobras is doing yoga. Do more cobras, do more yoga. :flower:

Edited to add: I have seen many PT's over the years for a variety of issues and everyone of them has told me to keep up with the yoga, so it's not just my unbiased opinion. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Yikes! I'd want nothing to do with getting on my work floor. Eeek! Thankfully I've only got to do them 1-2 time per day for now.
You can do them up against a wall, too. :) Just stand close to the wall and lean your hips forward until they are touching and then push back on the wall with your arms.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, BUT...

Yoga = better posture
Yoga = healthier SI joint
Yoga = better runner

Doing cobras is doing yoga. Do more cobras, do more yoga. :flower:

Edited to add: I have seen many PT's over the years for a variety of issues and everyone of them has told me to keep up with the yoga, so it's not just my unbiased opinion. :thumbsup2

tenor (1).gif

It just means finding more time in my day to cut from. I'll already be doing 12-20 hrs of exercise a week, so what's another X min to find. Let's just start with the moves she already gave me (6 total twice a day) which are already adding about 20-30 min of extra work on my end each day.

You can do them up against a wall, too. :) Just stand close to the wall and lean your hips forward until they are touching and then push back on the wall with your arms.

Thanks for the tip! We'll see if she wants me to add in more, and then these standing cobras will definitely be where I'll go.

I'm pretty sure my neck issues, which have led to my chronic headache, are due to my poor desk posture at work. For all the reasons you all have listed above in this thread, so I totally agree. The odd thing is that none of the doctors I've seen have even asked me about this or suggested that I look into improving this. It's on my to-do list after I get done with a lot of travel I have in July/August.

Billy, it sounds like you're already looking into this sort of thing, so props for you. I hope you get it all worked out.

My first big issue was an SI joint issue. I can attest PT will fix this :-) However, I will caution you that core work alone won’t fix your posture. There is a neuromuscular component to it as well. I strongly recommend working on meditation and being mindful of your posture. Your body doesn’t know it’s strong enough to stand the correct way yet!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my neck issues, which have led to my chronic headache, are due to my poor desk posture at work. For all the reasons you all have listed above in this thread, so I totally agree. The odd thing is that none of the doctors I've seen have even asked me about this or suggested that I look into improving this. It's on my to-do list after I get done with a lot of travel I have in July/August.

Billy, it sounds like you're already looking into this sort of thing, so props for you. I hope you get it all worked out.

Doing what I can so my body can return to normal.

My first big issue was an SI joint issue. I can attest PT will fix this :-) However, I will caution you that core work alone won’t fix your posture. There is a neuromuscular component to it as well. I strongly recommend working on meditation and being mindful of your posture. Your body doesn’t know it’s strong enough to stand the correct way yet!

I believe it. It's definitely something I'm having to consciously think about at the moment because I've got years of bad posture.

Doing what I can so my body can return to normal.

I believe it. It's definitely something I'm having to consciously think about at the moment because I've got years of bad posture.
Headspace has been an amazing tool for helping with that. I strongly recommend!! Also, you should check the studies on the profound changes meditation has on the brain. It’s really insane!

Those shoes look like a PRs waiting to happen!! Excited to hear your review 😆😆

I feel you pain in the posture department. I am trying really hard to have better posture but sitting at a desk all day does not help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter