To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

My local running store had them in stock when I was recycling some old running shoes. The salesperson told me it was more(!) cushioned than the 4%, I was tempted to check them out but ultimately knew I'd stick with the 4%s. Let us know how it goes! I remember my first run with the 4% felt like I was bouncing and my LR felt like an easy run. Good luck with PT/yoga!

Headspace has been an amazing tool for helping with that. I strongly recommend!! Also, you should check the studies on the profound changes meditation has on the brain. It’s really insane!

I'll check it out.

Those shoes look like a PRs waiting to happen!! Excited to hear your review 😆😆

My local running store had them in stock when I was recycling some old running shoes. The salesperson told me it was more(!) cushioned than the 4%, I was tempted to check them out but ultimately knew I'd stick with the 4%s. Let us know how it goes! I remember my first run with the 4% felt like I was bouncing and my LR felt like an easy run.

Just tried them on last night and my first thought:

I feel you pain in the posture department. I am trying really hard to have better posture but sitting at a desk all day does not help.

Reads this....slowly re-fixes posture. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Posture is also something I’m always working on. I’m constantly fixing my posture at my desk just to realize a few minutes later I’m back in a bad position.

I also want to second the meditation suggestion. I used to do it a lot about a year and half ago but got out of the habit. I decided to recommit to it and have a 30+ Days streak going if meditating for 5 minutes and I always feel awesome once I’m done.

So I’m still struggling on fixing my posture my self... I feel like I have a perma-hunch at the top. I’ve decided to invest a lot of my strength work in my upper back lately. I’m starting to feel better tension between my mid upper back and my upper abdominal Vs just pinching my shoulders back. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but it seems to be more sustainable🤞🏻🤞🏻 #theslouchinggeneration

Posture is also something I’m always working on. I’m constantly fixing my posture at my desk just to realize a few minutes later I’m back in a bad position.

I also want to second the meditation suggestion. I used to do it a lot about a year and half ago but got out of the habit. I decided to recommit to it and have a 30+ Days streak going if meditating for 5 minutes and I always feel awesome once I’m done.
So I’m still struggling on fixing my posture my self... I feel like I have a perma-hunch at the top. I’ve decided to invest a lot of my strength work in my upper back lately. I’m starting to feel better tension between my mid upper back and my upper abdominal Vs just pinching my shoulders back. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but it seems to be more sustainable🤞🏻🤞🏻 #theslouchinggeneration

Funny how I read these comments and instantly try and fix my posture. Nice to have the constant reminders. Most of the 80DO workouts I've got now are upper body focused, so maybe they'll help strengthen it for better posture.

I just listened to a podcast about Sylvia of Hollywood, trainer to the stars in the 1920s-40s who wrote books with advice like encouraging women to whack their friends in the small of the back if they saw them slouching.

Not sure they'd be my friends anymore with as much whacking as they'd do to me....

I have a tennis friend in her mid-60s who is amazing: she plays tennis, runs, bikes, rows, etc. She just got back from two weeks biking in the French Alps (hard biking, like Tour de France for non-pros, not picnic-basket stuff). But she has what you call a perma-hunch - you may feel like you have it, but I can definitely see it with her. I'm sure it really is pretty much permanent for her now. I keep thinking that that's what I don't want, but it's hard to keep that foremost in your mind all the time...as soon as you stop thinking about your posture, you revert. Sigh.

I have a tennis friend in her mid-60s who is amazing: she plays tennis, runs, bikes, rows, etc. She just got back from two weeks biking in the French Alps (hard biking, like Tour de France for non-pros, not picnic-basket stuff). But she has what you call a perma-hunch - you may feel like you have it, but I can definitely see it with her. I'm sure it really is pretty much permanent for her now. I keep thinking that that's what I don't want, but it's hard to keep that foremost in your mind all the time...as soon as you stop thinking about your posture, you revert. Sigh.

My grandmother had it and my mom has it. I see it in pics of me when running. I have bad posture but am going to try hard so I don’t have perma-hunch. It actually has a name I had to google it. Yoga is supposed to help.

@DopeyBadger i think every time we read a comment I fix my posture :)

182 Days to Go! (Turk 182!) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 1/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 1/Week 1

7/8/19 - M - OFF
7/9/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Tunnabora (60 min; 65 TSS)
7/10/19 - W - 50 min Easy (+Strides) Run
7/11/19 - R - Tallac (60 min; 73 TSS) + 75 min Evening Run
7/12/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Fuji (60 min; 65 TSS)
7/13/19 - Sa - Phoenix (90 min; 96 TSS) + 20 min Brick Run
7/14/19 - Su - 55min Easy Run + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 22.7 miles
Total Run Time - 3:18 hours
Total Run TSS - 270 TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 299 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:29 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 24 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:18 hours
Total TSS - 593 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 3 sets of 10 from start to end

1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/Loop
2 - Push-up, Skull Crusher, Weighted ab sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tuck, Fire Hydrant

Cycling: Tunnabora is 5x7-minute sets of decreasing then increasing watts between 88-94% FTP in 1-minute steps to allow cadence changes over the course of each form interval. Average 96 RPM.

Wednesday

Morning: Off

Evening Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 59°F; FL - 84°F
End: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 59°F; FL - 84°F

5.5 miles in 50 min (9:00 min/mile) with HR at 147 (???). Definitely didn't feel like a 147 HR effort which is close to M Tempo. Definitely felt easy to me. Thought maybe a HR malfunction for the Garmin? Not sure. Did some strides and got down to the low 6s for 20 sec which felt nice. This was the first run after the PT session and was probably one of the best ones since May 18th.

Thursday

Cycling: Tallac is 3x15-minute efforts spent in the Sweet Spot (88-94% FTP) with 3-minute recoveries between intervals. Average 95 RPM.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 8mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 80°F + 55°F; FL - 80°F
End: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 55°F; FL - 80°F

8.1 miles in 74 min (9:05 min/mile) with HR at 148 (???). Still confused on the HR. Going to stick with effort given I've got a feeling maybe the HR data is bad. But I don't know for sure. This run did not feel nearly as good as the run on Wednesday. This one felt like back before I took some time off.

The Next % arrived today and it was hard not to throw them on and test them out.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core in 3 sets of 10 from start to end

Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Back: Bent over Row, One Hand Renegade Row with RL, Boat Pose Lat Pull with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL
Triceps: Tricep Kickbacks, Single-Arm Extension Loop, Tricep push up

Cycling: Fuji is 9x20-second all-out efforts at 200% FTP, each separated by about 4 minutes of active recovery at 65% of FTP. Average 95 RPM. New PRs for wattage for 0-20 seconds. Was really pushing hard for those near 500 watts.

Saturday

Cycling: Phoenix is 90 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 75 minutes between 80-85% FTP (Ironman bike leg). Average 91 RPM. I was able to hold the pace through the entire bike ride without a break.

Brick Run (occurred immediately after the cycling):
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 6mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 81°F + 70°F; FL - 85°F
End: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 70°F; FL - 85°F

Transition took 5.5 minutes. The run itself felt pretty smooth. Not quite the level of Wednesday, but much better than Thursday in terms of pain. 2.5 miles in 20 min (8:04 min/mile) with HR of 149.

Sunday

Morning Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 60°F; FL - 75°F
End: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 61°F; FL - 75°F

6.5 miles in 54 min (8:24 min/mile) with HR of 147. Seeing a trend that all of these HRs seem high and around the same area. Effort was still easy/long run. Cadence has still been really low (170s) for all the runs this week. The data seems off, but I can't say for certain.

80DO-Cardio Flow sort of like stretching. Nice end to the week!

All in all, a higher TSS week than last week, but this week was far easier. Not having that 3 hr bike ride and 90 min run the next day seems to make a big difference. Back to another peak week, so it'll be interesting to see how the next week goes.

My grandmother had it and my mom has it. I see it in pics of me when running. I have bad posture but am going to try hard so I don’t have perma-hunch. It actually has a name I had to google it. Yoga is supposed to help.

@DopeyBadger i think every time we read a comment I fix my posture :)

My brother's posture is way worse than mine. So I know it's certainly in the family. Just need to be more cognizant of it.

25 Weeks to Go! (25th Hour) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 3/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 1/Week 3

7/15/19 - M - OFF
7/16/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Eclipse (90 min; 103 TSS)
7/17/19 - W - 55 min Easy (+Strides) Run
7/18/19 - R - Phoenix (90 min; 96 TSS) + 20 min Brick Run
7/19/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Mount Tai (60 min; 68 TSS)
7/20/19 - Sa - Allegheny (195 min; 152 TSS) + 75 min Evening Run
7/21/19 - Su - 100 min Long Run + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 24.2 miles
Total Run Time - 3:24 hours
Total Run TSS - 250 TSS

Total Biking Time - 7:15 hours
Total Biking TSS - 419 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:24 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 24 TSS

Total Training Time - 13:02 hours
Total TSS - 693 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 3 sets of 10 cycling through each

Cycling: Eclipse is comprised of 3x20 minute Sweet Spot efforts (88-94% FTP) with 7 minutes of recovery between intervals. RPM at 91.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 85°F + 70°F; FL - 89°F
End: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 70°F; FL - 89°F

6.1 miles in 55 min (8:52 min/mile) with 143 HR average. There were 6 total 20 second strides ranging from 5:20-6:20. Things seem to be continuing to progress in a positive direction for my glute.

Thursday

One of the last weekday Brick workouts that wasn't a day off. So I did this one right after work was over.

Cycling: Phoenix is 90 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 75 minutes between 80-85% FTP (Ironman bike leg). Average 90 RPM. I was able to hold the pace through the entire bike ride without a break.

Brick Run (occurred immediately after the cycling):
Conditions - ⛅ Humid and Mostly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 75°F; FL - 93°F
End: Temp+Dew = 84°F + 75°F; FL - 93°F

Transition in 6 min. It was a hot one. Thankfully it was only 20 min of running. I went harder than easy that's for sure. 2.5 miles in 20 min (8:05 min/mile) with HR at 150.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core in 3 sets of 10 cycling through each

Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL

Cycling: Mount Tai is 10x20-second all-out efforts at 200% FTP, each separated by about 3 minutes of active recovery at 65% of FTP. RPM at 95. Missed one rep because I was enthralled with the Mr. Robot Season 3 finale. Glad to see a 4th and final season is coming this Fall. I hit a peak wattage of 609 with my best 20 second split at 484. Since the goal was 480 on ERG mode it's debatable whether I could have actually done more. Peak cadence got up to 132 RPM.

Saturday

Cycling: Allegheny is 3.25 hours of Aerobic Endurance spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM at 87. Looks like for the most part this wasn't a fade but rather just the cadence I settled into from the start. I had 700 calories of Tailwind and a PB sandwich during the ride. I had three breaks during the ride because Steph was at work and G needed help with some things.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 66°F; FL - 73°F
End: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 66°F; FL - 73°F

Getting to that time of the year when a T+D day of 138 actually feels nice. Funny how that's an early Spring brutal day. Another short one at 30 min 3.5 miles in 8:38 min/mile average with 137 HR. Starting to see some movement on the HRvPace data as the HR is falling. It's right about when I thought it would happen given I had taken 25 days off from running and we're at about 18 days since I returned to running. So not where I need to be, but that's what the next 25 weeks are for.

Sunday

Morning Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 65°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 68°F + 65°F; FL - 67°F

Nice morning with a nice breeze. Another relief day compared to the last few weeks. 12.1 miles in 100 minutes at 8:17 min/mile pace with HR of 145. Felt nice to get another nice long run in especially coming off a 3.25 hr bike ride (52 miles estimated). Decided to kick it up a notch for the last mile and have a fast closing mile. Got it down to 7:48 on a mostly uphill mile and it felt nice to run quick again.

Happy with the week overall. A nice reintroduction to a higher TSS week. It's one of the higher run+bike weeks weekly durations I've had. Now a well earned recovery week is coming up.

Officially signed up for the DoLittle HM (9/22) and Madison HM (11/10). So the schedule is probably complete now from now until Disney.

9/22/19 - DoLittle HM
10/20/19 - Haunted Hustle (supported training run)
11/10/19 - Madison HM

Thinking about goals for these:

DoLittle HM

I'm really excited to run this race. It's my favorite course to date. I normally run it in December at the "Last Call HM", but this time around it'll be in September. It's mostly flat (there are elevation gains but the grade is so shallow you don't even really notice it). Historically, the T+D on the DoLittle date is quite variable.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.03.02 PM.png

There are 9 weeks between now and DoLittle. It will have been 12 weeks since my time off. I'd say my fitness right now is around a 1:35 HM under ideal conditions based on the 100 min run this past weekend. Could I do that right now, probably not. But I think that's where I'm trending towards.

At about 3 weeks into resuming training after my ankle injury (3/9/19), I would guess my HM estimate was around a 1:47 HM.

Using a similar routine I am now, from Feb to 12 weeks later I was at about the May 12th run where my average pace was a 7:10 for what I believed to be HM effort. Although my HR suggested it was more like low level M Tempo. So about a 1:34 HM.

So with that I think I'll aim low and say my goal is a sub 1:37 HM.

Haunted Hustle

The place where it all started. My first race ever was the Haunted Hustle Marathon. They don't have a marathon anymore and have gone the challenge route instead. I'm running this race because I got a free entry from placing at the Brat Fest 5k. So since it doesn't fall at a great time during training and is also partially a trail race, I'm planning on taking this one on as a training run. It comes a day after a 105 min cycle + 45 min easy run day. I plan to take it at long run pace (with maybe a fast finish), but since it's sandwiched between two fairly hefty weekends (4.5 bike+ 45 min run + 2.5 hr run and 4.75 hr bike + 45 min run + 2.7 hr run) I want to be cautious. By that time, I'm hoping my LR pace is around a 7:30-7:45 min/mile. If so, then it should come in around a 1:40 HM. The goal here is really to be able to appropriately pace myself in a race atmosphere.

Madison HM

Another race I've done before, but in the marathon version. About twice the hills as DoLittle (400 feet in 13.11 miles), but less than my normal training route (I'm at about 40 feet per mile and this would be 30 feet per mile). But the temps should be exactly what I want.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.03.07 PM.png

Sub 100s and maybe even down in the 20-30 degree range. That's PR weather for me.

If I'm being truly realistic about this sub-3 attempt at Disney, then I'm going to need to see a big PR at Madison.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.14.22 PM.png

Under ideal conditions, an equal performance of a 1:24 HM to a low end prediction range of a 3 hr marathon. Given that there are some hills at Madison, I want to see a HM under 1:25:30. So that's the goal. I'm not saying it's realistic. All I'm saying is that is what I'm working towards in the next 16 weeks. Once Madison is done, I've still got another 9 weeks to hone my fitness.

FYI, SIS Beta Fuel is 45% off today. It's like Maurten but with additional electrolytes. Price wise it makes it very competitive with other carb drinks. It's probably best served as a carb loading drink, or something taken right prior to a race starting. Other less carb intensive drinks tend to have a higher electrolyte content.

https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/us/special-offers/beta-fuel-12-pack-orange

24 Weeks to Go! (24) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 4/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 1/Week 4

7/22/19 - M - OFF
7/23/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Holt Hill (90 min; 77 TSS)
7/24/19 - W - 40 min Easy (+Strides) Run
7/25/19 - R - Mount Gosford (75 min; 64 TSS) + 40 min Easy Run
7/26/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Haku (60 min; 58 TSS)
7/27/19 - Sa - Cumberland (75 min; 78 TSS) + 30 min Brick Run at M Tempo effort
7/28/19 - Su - 60 min Long Run + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 19.6 miles
Total Run Time - 2:50 hours
Total Run TSS - 221 TSS

Total Biking Time - 5:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 277 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:12 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 24 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:03 hours
Total TSS - 522 TSS

Monday

Off day. Went to Fleet Feet and Costco. Bought some more Tailwind from Fleet Feet and a new 5oz Hammer Nutrition bottle. Since the 10oz Nathans bottle proved to be too heavy for my Nike shorts I was seeking out an alternative for carrying the concentrated Tailwind. For $3 this seemed like a good test option. I also bought an oscillating fan for the workout room. I'm just generating so much moisture I'm hoping some wind might help alleviate the issues on the super long rides.

G and I played several different Wii games. She beat me in boxing twice and was quite proud of herself. If not for a heroic comeback she would have beaten me in bowling as well.

Lastly, I decided I've got to start really dialing in my nutrition ahead of Disney 2020. So I'm back to watching my diet like a hawk. The goal for this week was a caloric balance of 1700 per day (so eat all I exercise above 1700). After a week I'm back down to 171.5 and would like to see me somewhere on the low end of 160 by the time marathon weekend rolls around. But I'll be wary of doing anything too drastic.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 2 sets of 15 cycling through each

Cycling: Holt Hill totals over 70 minutes of Tempo intervals spent between 70-80% FTP with intermittent, 3-minute recoveries. RPM at 89. Slipping a bit and need to get that cadence back up.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 56°F; FL - 83°F
End: Temp+Dew = 83°F + 58°F; FL - 83°F

Nice and easy 40 min run. 4.6 miles in 41 min (8:54 pace) with HR of 144. The strides helped the HR go up some, but still a suprisingly high HR given the effort level. I did 4 uphill strides for about 20 seconds each. Pace wise they were 5:44, 6:05, 5:38, and 5:43 with GAPs of 5:25, 5:54, 5:20, and 5:35. They were fairly consistent.

Thursday

The beginning of the early mid-week mornings. This workout is the first of many that now exceed 60 min prior to work. So I was up at 4am and riding by 4:30 so I could finish in time to prepare for work. This is one of the things that truly separates the Mid-Volume and High-Volume training plans.

Cycling: Mont Gosford is 1.25 hours of Tempo intervals spent between 70-80% FTP with intermittent, 2 to 3-minute recoveries at 55% FTP. RPM at 91.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 62°F; FL - 83°F
End: Temp+Dew = 82°F + 62°F; FL - 83°F

4.4 miles in 40 min (9:06 pace) with HR of 144. This 144 number keeps showing up in a ton of runs. Overall nothing I can remember of substance from this run.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core in 2 sets of 15 cycling through each

Cycling: Haku is 6x20-second all-out efforts at 200% FTP, each separated by about 5 minutes of active recovery at 65% of FTP. RPM at 96 and new 19 second PR at 495 watts (although I do believe the ERG mode is holding those back some).

Saturday

Finally slept in after what felt like an exhausting week for a recovery week. I believe I got just over 10 hours.

Cycling: Cumberland is a 60-minute sustained segment between 80-85% FTP nestled inside of a 75-minute long workout. RPM at 89. Had to stop twice during this workout which was a bit of a surprise since I was fine on the two longer versions of this workout. I thought during it maybe the intensity was higher, but it wasn't. So after getting more sleep this one was a bit of a shock.

Brick Run (occurred immediately after cycling):
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 65°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 66°F; FL - 79°F

Transition = 7 min (took a while to get GPS)

Pulled out the Kinvara 8s for this one. We're planning on having a garage sale next weekend. I've got 4 brand new pairs of Kinvara 8s that have just been sitting around since last year's ankle injury. I had attributed the ankle problem to possibly the Kinvaras, but I'm not sure I ever had a definitive reason (maybe that one turn that has since been eliminated). So I decided to break out a pair and give them another chance. Took a few steps and said, yep this is why I loved the Kinvaras. They just feel so fast and great. I really hope there's not an issue with my ankle and them because I'd love to continue to run in them.

I decided to take this 30 min Brick run as a M Tempo effort run. Maybe not a great choice since it did feel somewhat blazing hot out. The three mile splits were 7:32, 7:51, and 8:07. On the surface it would seem like a massive fade, but then you look at GAP and see otherwise: 7:43, 7:44, and 7:45. Looks like at least I've still got that ability to hold a certain effort level fairly consistently. The drawback is admittedly I had to take two walking breaks during the run. I think I let the effort just go a bit too high after the cycling for something that was actually sustainable in my current fitness. I took a 3rd break only because G and Steph wanted to talk to me. Then I kicked it back into high gear for about another 0.4 miles averaging around a 7:30-7:40 pace. As I was coming into the home 0.3 mile stretch I passed G and gang as they were walking back to the house. I heard a voice behind me saying to wait up and G was chasing after. So we ran the last bit home together. All in all 3.7 miles in 30 min (35 with breaks) 8:09 pace and HR of 148.

Sunday

Slept in again for another 9.5 hours.

Morning Run:
Conditions - 🌞 Full SUN, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 75°F + 70°F; FL - 77°F
End: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 72°F; FL - 77°F

(Originally the climate app populated my Strava with "mostly cloudy" but that's a joke. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun was absolutely brutal.)

6.9 miles in 59 min at 8:37 pace with HR of 145. I really underestimated the conditions today. I could also tell that in the span of that hour the conditions were getting much hotter. So my pace definitely slower over the run, but I feel the effort was mostly consistent.

I tried out the 5oz bottle on this run and stuck in in my back Nike Gyo short pocket. It worked well. It wasn't heavy enough to pull the shorts down and didn't really bother me at all. So I think we've got a winner. Next I'll try actually putting the concentrated Tailwind in it. I've been playing with the numbers to see what my Disney marathon nutrition strategy will be. I think I plan to test the following procedure in the next few long runs:

In 2015 I ran the Lakefront Marathon and took in what I remember being the highest carb/hr rate. It's also one of my best races ever.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 4.29.38 PM.png

I took in 7 E-gels over the 3.75 hr race. So about 74 g carb per hour with 460mg Sodium and 170mg Potassium per hour.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 4.31.37 PM.png

For Disney, I'm going with 17oz SIS Beta to start (10-15 min before running commences), 4 oz of 4 scoops Tailwind Concentrate, and 2 E-Gels. This comes out to 85g carb, 634 mg Sodium, and 197mg Potassium per hour. The other big change to the nutrition strategy is I'm dropping the caffeine. I've got a suspicion that in the last several races I've felt "off" or something didn't feel right. It might have been the caffeine during the races. So I'm going to try these few HMs without caffeiene and decide whether I like racing without it better. We'll see how this strategy feels over the next couple long runs.

A nice recovery week. Now it's time to kick it into another gear next week. I've got my longest ride ever at 3.75 hrs on Saturday. From here on out it will be all new territory with these long rides. 80DO moves into Phase 2. The running stays mostly the same focusing on easy.

A fair concern. It would be interesting whether the concerns of sucralose are mitigated with infrequent use.
I’ve read that the chemical differences of sucralose affect you on a single use basis. Something about fooling the bodies insulin production into action and consequential ripples of that lol. I’m sure it’s prob not much, but I didn’t really like the taste late in the race either... going back to run gum and maurten only like Chicago.

Too intense for me. My quads feel worse after 20 minutes on a bike then they do after my 3+hour half marathons.

Probably not dissimilar to starting to run. It takes time to get used to the duration and intensity. My quads were definitely what I noticed when I started cycling. Now it's more a general fatigue when I'm getting up there. More than anything is a soreness from sitting on the bike that long. My body just isn't used to it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter